10: The Summit
766 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The summit consists only of the adults, and women are usually only considered for opinions, not as votes. As such, the only one in our family that has any say, and that being a miniscule one, of what happens to us is Lod. So even though he has been ignoring me for the most of my life, I will request what I want of him.

The day before the summit, I catch him after dinner. "Lod, I really don't want to be separated from mom" There's no doubt that even despite my best attempts, I have turned out as a weird kid. Mother has supported me and cared for me regardless. I really don't want to risk being neglected or figured and suspected of being something unnatural or evil.

My brother appears to think a little before asking "Why are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"You always refuse to refer to us respectfully. Noone else can get away with that. When we have complained, mother always took your side, brushed it under the rug, promised she'd correct you"

I feel like I've been told to refer to my older brothers properly a few times but I thought I did.

"You know what? Before you were born, Sten tried to refer to me as Lod a few times, but he was always scolded immediately. Just because you have a gift, just because you are chosen, you were ignored for paying no respect. Maybe mother just really wanted you to think of her as fondly as possible, I don't know, but I'll be sure to advocate for you to be placed with someone much stricter"

I am speechless. It's rude to refer to someone by name? Now that I think about, the few times I have seen interactions between other people, there have been a pattern. My mother referring to Old Man Jorgen as Old Man, or the priest Yuro as simply priest, when in direct conversation with them.

"Lod is no good?" I seek to affirm it.

"Lod is no good! Only those older than me refer to me by name. You should have spoken to me as "Older Brother" or at least "Brother" all this time"

Is including "Old" in the referral more respectful?

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"We wanted to correct you ourselves, but mother always insisted that she'd do it"

It strikes that it may not be smart to implicate his guilt right now, when I am trying to curry favor with him.

"Older brother, I am sorry, I didn't know, but please don't separate me from mother"

Brother sighs "You do now I am only one of many, right? And that I am young and my voice will be light compared to those who are older, right?"

"Please just try!"

He frowns. "Even then, I think mother has been bad for you. You would probably have been better off with a stricter parent, had more friends, perhaps"

No, no, this isn't the fault of her, it is my own choice. But that would probably be too weird for a kid to say. I merely hang my head, and Lod goes towards the outskirts of the village, where the men are gathering up before heading to the dungeon.

I've been told that I am to wait outside the temple for the verdict. Grandmother has already left the village, sure in the judgment that would befall her. Mother went into the temple to influence the conversation, even though she is a woman without a vote. Sten is out here with me, but it appears he wants nothing to do with me and sits far apart from me. I think some old woman is taking care of little sister.

Being in this situation, I can't help but get a little melancholic as I compare this new life to my old one. I first thought it seemed pretty fantastic. A bit of fantasy, I was a chosen one, there's a literal infinite source of ressources, but as of recently, I have grown more and more frustrated with what lacks from my old world. And people didn't have to literally risk their lives for food. And there were interesting pastimes, one could undertake alone such as books or games. And shoes weren't a massive expense. And there was a government that could have helped mother when father died.

I feel depressed as I sit and mull over these thoughts, but then people start coming out from the temple. One of them spots me and comes over. I recognize him as Old Man Jorgen. He has high status in this village, on account of his contribution to it and his gift. He has a lot of scars visible, both on his arms and face. He has grey-white short hair, a lot of wrinkles and constantly looks like he is unhappy with something. That man walks up to me and says "From today on, I'll take care of you".  

8