Test Battle
1.3k 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: This is a test chapter to see how can I write steel and gunpowder battles, it has no real impact on the story so read it if you want or just skip it, though I would really appreciate it if you would read this and give me some feedback. Now here read some context.

The major Russo-Turkish war of 1768-1774 started when Catherine II the Great of Russia started meddling in internal affairs of the Polish-Lithuanian throne when she appointed her favorite and by some accounts lover Stanislaus II Augustus to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth throne, but to her expectations, Stanislaus II Augustus instead of weakening or tying the already weak Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth to Russia opted to reform it and strengthen it, that was met by fierce opposition from Austria, Prussia, and Russia who wanted to keep the Commonwealth weak. Soon Catherine II send troops and Nicholas Repnin as an ambassador of the Russian Empire to Warsaw which she gave him the task of deepening the Polish-Lithuanian reliability on Russia, he had to make of any tool to destroy the republic. He achieved it by bribing and coercing the Sejm(A/N: It’s basically a parliament of nobles) deputies in order to push legislation favorable to Russia, he made the Szlachta(nobility) suspicious of all reform he pitted the Catholic dominant Sejm against other religious minorities as Protestants and Orthodox and made it look that the reforms of Stanislaus would even hurt the mighty magnates and he crippled every attempt of reforming the Liberum Veto which was one of the main laws that made Poland-Lithuania weak. Soon enough he became the driving force behind the Polish-Lithuanian throne and Stanislaus further lost his influence and power. With Russian troops sent to "protect" the various pro-Russian factions and this carte blanche in his pocket, Repnin proceeded to treat the deputies of the Sejm as if they were already servants of the Russian empress.

Poland’s Roman Catholic leaderships viewed the laws that granted some privileges to Protestants with distant and further Russia meddling in internal affairs of Polish-Lithuanian combined by frequent arrestment of high influence people who were against Russian influence in the Commonwealth culminated in the War of Bar Confederation who wanted to defend the internal and external independence of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth against Russian influence and against King Stanislaus II Augustus with Polish reformers, who were attempting to limit the power of the Commonwealth's wealthy magnates. Soon fighting begun and Russia found herself quelling a large-scale revolt.

Ottoman’s immediately aided the Bar Confederation by sending food, equipment, and gold, they didn’t want Russia to solidify their influence near their borders. Ottomans were contended with just helping as the Bar confederation was at first successful winning a couple of engagements against the Russians and even having their headquarters stationed in Austria territory which Russia couldn’t attack unless they want to have war with Austria and France as well as Ottomans, but soon everything changed when a couple of Bar Confederacy members after they lost a battle started fleeing to Ottoman territory not content to let the Polish enemy flee over the border, Cossacks followed them into the Ottoman Empire which reportedly they engaged with Ottoman border guards stationed at Polish-Turkish border. In the summer of 1768, Mustafa III received reports that the town of Balta had been massacred by Russian-paid Zaporozhian Cossacks. Russia denied the accusations, but it was reported that the Cossacks "certainly razed Balta and killed whomever they found". With the confederates of Poland and the French embassy pushing the sultan along, with many pro-war advisors, the sultan on October 6 imprisoned Aleksei Mikhailovich Obreskov and the entire Russian embassy's staff, marking the Ottoman's declaration of war on Russia.

Start

Pyotr Rumyantsev one of the most prominent Russian generals was quiet as he rode his white horse his mood was sour as he looked over the horizon and the marching Russian Imperial army.

The Russian offensive is going well as nearly all of Wallachia and Bessarabia is now in Russian hands and he was on the initiative against the joined Ottoman and Crimean Tatar forces, the quick offensive actions stunned the allies who inturn gave Russians the initiative.

The joint Ottoman-Tatar forces suffered a great defeat at Larga only two weeks prior and Rumyanstev was awarded the Order of Saint George of the 1st Degree, yet he was not happy…His force of 40000 soldiers were undersupplied and were nearing the end of their campaign capability, with the army’s food supplies and ammunition stocks nearing depletion, while the food shortage could be temporarily solved through scavenging and raiding villages the same couldn’t be said about ammunition that’s not forgetting that the joint forces of his adversaries outnumber him 3 to 1 and yet his superior Catherine II the Great ordered him to press further.

He was glad that after Larga most of Tatar and Ottoman forces retreated in two opposite directions, but then he heard the news that Ottomans under Ottoman Grand Vizier Ivazzade Halil Pasha have begun building up and the reformed Tatar forces under Qaplan II Giray are marching as well.

Pyotr Rumyantsev knew that if he wants to bring victory to her majesty Catherine II the Great he will have to move swiftly and crush Grand Vizier Ivazzade Halil Pasha’s forces before his Crimean Tatar allies could fully join them.

He heard from the scouts that the Ottoman forces made camp on the right side of the Kagul river so he camped on the left side of the river bank around 11km(+-7miles) away from the Ottomans.

Finally, he entered his white tent placed in the middle of the camp.

He calmly walked in and the officers immediately greeted him which he, in turn, greeted them.

‘’What’s the situation?’’

He calmly asked as he sat down on a wooden chair while his officers stood in front of him.

“We already scouted out the enemy positions, though we managed to find their scouting parties by your orders we didn’t engage so no skirmishes were fought.”

He nodded at his officer’s words, he precisely said not to engage the enemy as they need to preserve ammunition and lives because the enemy has more of anything than he does so every bullet and soldier was at the same value as gold.

‘’So they already know where we are…’’

He knew that he had a slight advantage in technology and tactics over Ottoman-Tatar forces and yet this Ottoman build up worried him as he is numerically outgunned,  while Tatars were undisciplined their horseback fighting mastery possesses a major threat to him who’s army consisted mainly of rank and file Infantrymen and let’s not forget the Ottomans, their discipline and training, combined with native daring, Islam, and the use of opium, might render them invincible the Ottoman army remains a formidable threat on the battlefield.

“What about the terrain?”

He asked as the terrain will formulate his strategy, he would like to play defensive, but he knew that if the already large Ottoman force would get further reinforcements he will surely lose so his only option is to attack and it would be lucky if the battlefield would be advantageous or at least balanced.

“Grave news sir, although the battlefield is marked by the river to the west and numerous small lakes and marshes to the east it would limit our mobility, it also contained two valleys which would allow for the enemy cavalry to strike our rear.”

As soon as everybody heard the report their faces turned grim, while they did take victory after victory all of the men present knew that their supplies were at the end and they are outnumbered and being at a disadvantageous position, while they fought the numerically superior enemy it was done at favorable terms and their supplies weren’t grave as now.

“Any ideas, gentlemen?”

Pyotr calmly asked while he had a plan already brewing in his mind, but it was always wise to listen to other people as they can give you insight into the situation from different angles.

The officers stood still as they have begun to think as they juggled different thoughts on their minds, retreating is not an option as that would allow the Ottoman-Tatar forces to unite and organize and they couldn’t just wait out as even their technological superiority wouldn’t help them against the more numerous force.

“The only option is to attack first, sir! We should try to make a surprise attack on the enemy.’’

One of the officers said and Pyotr remained silent overlooking his officers.

Pyotr after some silence decided that he had to march rapidly towards the main Ottoman army to prevent them from uniting with the Crimean Tatar force nearby and force a battle with the former immediately lest the situation for him and the Russian army worsens, so surprise attack would be perfect.

“Yes, we will launch a night attack on the Ottomans, they have the advantage against us so their commander will want to wait and give his soldiers rest, I would do that too so if we want to have any chance at victory we will have to move way ahead before them…Mhm…Inform the men that one hour after midnight we will attack.’’

“Yes, sir!’

The Officers saluted and left the tent leaving Pyotr alone with his own thoughts…

He has to make a miracle if they want to remain on the initiative against the Ottomans or else they will be the ones put on the defensive or even totally annihilated here both of those weren’t ideal.

“God protect us.”

Then Pyotr went to do his own preparations for the upcoming battle.

Soon the night well the half-moon barely illuminated their surroundings as the Russians began their advancements towards the Ottoman camp just an hour after midnight.

Pyotr Rumyantsev ordered only half of his men from the 40000 strong to advance forwards while the rest were put on the reserve if something went wrong with his plan, that, and he was really conscious of the Ottoman-Tatar forces outflanking them and striking his rear, but he knew that element of surprise is on his side and he will throw the Ottomans into disarray.

He arranged his infantry into five squares with artillery in between them and skirmishers on the flanks.

Due to artillery being alongside them the Russian advance was not so fast as been hoped, but they made good process marching in the night and were already close to the Ottoman camp by the early morning, but the marching squares were spotted by the Ottoman scouts who quickly brought the massage of Russian attack and Ottomans who were caught off guard and still in the early stages of their battle preparations ordered a disorganized mass cavalry charge at the advancing Russians all across the entire length of the battlefield, thinking that the halved the already small Russian army would quickly fall insight of their charge.

The Russians were quick to stop and solidified the squares with the front men kneeling and two rows behind them aiming their guns at the Ottoman cavalry.

The Ottomans wanted to fake their charge and make the Russians waist their fire, but what surprised them when the squares have begun opening lanes and cannons came forward.

‘’Fire!”

*BOOM*

A thundering sound was heard as Russian cannons opened fire on the cavalry firing grape shots.

The grapes shots dislocated the limbs of horses and men alike, some leaving holes in the men and animal effectively making a lot of casualties.

Yet the Ottomans didn’t falter and spurred their horses onwards as they got closer to the Russian squares knowing that only a charge could break the Russian while Russian infantrymen opened fire.

*Crackle*

Immediately smoke risen in the air as Russians unleashed their musket fire upon the charging Ottomans.

Many fell but the cavalry managed to hit the squares and male combat ensued along with cannon and musket fire.

“Die Infid-! Agh!”

Ottoman cavalryman shouted as he swung his sword at the Russian soldier only to find a bayonet stabbed in his ribs from another soldier nearby, blood spilled from his mouth as the Russian soldier dislodged his bayonet from the Ottoman who quickly fell down from his horse and died.

As the fighting continued it became more apparent that Ottoman cavalry had no chances against the solid squares of the Russians and coupled with their well-timed volley fire and grape shots from the artillery quickly dwindled the numbers of the Ottoman cavalry while the Russians only minor loses.

It quickly became apparent that the Ottoman charge failed and they stood no chance fighting the Russians and with high losses Ottomans begun to sound a retreat while the Russians didn’t stop firing at the retreating enemy.

Only a handful of cavalrymen returned to report what happened, while the Russians continued their fighting march…

“To hell with those cursed Russians!”

Grand Vizier Ivazzade Halil Pasha said as he slammed the wooden table.

His plans were thrown out of the window he wanted to attack the smaller Russian force at 10 am and yet here they are marching towards him, while his cavalry charge failed and only and a handful of his soldiers returned to report about the massacre.

He suffered numerous defeats at the hand of Russian general Pyotr Rumyantsev and now he almost lost one of his advantages against the Russians, cavalry.

‘’Sir, we still outnumber them and the prisoners said that their supplies are low, we can still beat them.”

One of the officers said as it was true Grand Vizier Ivazzade Halil Pasha has…well had 150000 men under him gathered here but that failed charge but his numbers around 140000 give or take still enough to defeat the Russians by the sheer number of their forces.

“That’s right no more retreating we will crush the Russians here, we will suffer no more defeats, we will bring glory to ourselves, to Islam and Sultan!”

Shouted the Grand Vizier and his officers agreed, there would be no backing down on the effort at winning the battle no matter the cost.

“Quickly organize the men! Send the half to the front while the rest will prepare the defenses, we will lure them to the camp, our entrenchments and sheer numbers will give us the advantage to crush the Russians.”

The officers quickly left to grab their men and go to greet the Russians with steel and gunpowder.

Russians seeing the battle lines of the Ottomans still held their squares as Ottomans put all of their remaining cavalries thus not wanting to be overrun by the cavalry Russians still hold the squares and they had the advantage of the artillery while the Ottomans left their artillery at their camp to prepare their defenses.

Soon once again the white smoke has risen on the battlefield as Ottomans and Russians traded shots with each other while the cavalry unsuccessfully attacked Russian squares, thus Ottoman officers opted to attack the Russian rear and just surround them.

Once they have begun to move they were spotted by Pyotr Rumyantsev who was holding monocular and observing the battle, he spotted the moving Ottoman cavalry along with infantry and quickly guessed their intentions so he quickly rushed his reserves into the battlefield between his already fighting men and the flanking Ottomans with the intention to intercept the attack on his rear.

And it was proven success as he successfully redirected the attention of the enemy flanking force as Ottoman forces opted to fight the advancing Russian reserves at their flank as they feared if they ignored them they would be surrounded and would be quickly annihilated.

Being outnumbered Pyotr Rumyantsev himself took fighting on the battlefield cutting down a couple of his enemies and successfully repelling the attack on his rear, while the Ottomans began retreating for the second time in the day.

Soon the Russians reached the Ottoman camp pulling most of their weight on the left flank making Ottomans and the battle was in Russian favor until the Russians finally felt the sheer weight of the massive Ottoman numbers, when Grand Vizier Ivazzade Halil Pasha ordered a counterattack on the Russians with huge throngs of Janisarries trying to inch its way to the gaps in the infantry squares thereby seriously jeopardizing Rumyantsev's attack.

Shouting was heard upon the battlefield as men engaged each other. Blood was flowing; shots were fired, while the cannon shots left the men in the unrecognizable mess it was a gruesome scene with bloodied bodies even the once clean uniforms of the still fighting soldiers were painted in deep red with the blood of their allies and foes alike.

Soon a dangerous gap appeared in the Russian center and Pyotr Rumyantsev who still didn’t commit his reserves fully to the fight and was holding back, now order a charge to cluck up the gap.

Soon both forces were fully committed to the battle, but for the first time in this day, the Russian were losing against the sheer number of Ottomans.

And when the Russian begun to lose hope the well-organized and trained artillery of the Russians finally was in position and opened fire in a massive barrage slowly turning the battle once again into Russian favor.

Russian has once again begun pushing the Ottoman back.

*BOOM*

A Russian cannon shot killed a couple of Ottomans seeing their comrades falling the Ottomans in a fit of rage once again charged the Ottomans only to be met with a volley of musket fire from the Russians.

No matter how the Ottomans tried they couldn’t break the Russian as even the gab in the center was being closed with firepower and bayonet charges from the Russians and the Janissaries were repulsed.

With the newfound success, Pyotr Rumyantsev ordered his 2000 cavalry to charge followed by a full-out assault from his five squares and the reserve infantry and Ottomans were being pushed back at both flanks while the Russian artillery has begun harassing the Ottoman rear.

The Ottoman forces began taking even more casualties and thus were forced back while being demoralized. Soon the stacking casualties and apparent superiority of the Russians began the Ottoman retreat that Grand Vizier Ivazzade Halil Pasha could not manage to stop, even going as far as evoking the names of Prophet Muhammad and the present Sultan to implore his troops only to fail, as the retreating Ottomans complained of the devastating Russian firepower as if it was striking like lightning, seeing that all hope is lost he retreated with what remained from his office staff. 

With the disarray within the Ottoman ranks, the Russian army entered the camp, while the retreating Ottomans grabbed anything they could and fled, and as that wasn’t enough The routing Ottomans went through a detachment of Anatolian Kurdish cavalrymen supposedly on its way to assist Ivazzade Pasha, but the detachment instead looted whatever belongings the soldiers on flight carried with them, therefore adding to the chaos the Ottoman army was already in.

“We have won!”

One of the Russian soldiers shouted and watching the retreating Ottomans the rushed felt their spirits and all-time high as they shouted.

“UUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!”

Even if they were already exhausted from several hours of non-stop battle, they couldn’t help but celebrate this great and hard-won battle.

Seeing this Pyotr Rumyantsev ordered his men to halt and take a respite on the former Ottoman camp in the now deserted tents, surely the soldiers were grateful to their superiors and begun resting, while Rumyantsev instead ordered the Russian army's 2000 strong cavalry to chase the retreating Ottoman force, which they did as far away as 5 kilometers and killing many along the way before stopping in the afternoon the same day.

The tragedy of the unfortunate Ottoman force did not end at the disaster at Kagul. The next day in Pyotr Rumyantsev sent 30000 men to chase the retreating Ottoman army on its way to board the 300 ships at the Danube River ready to take the army home. The Russian soldiers eventually caught up with the already broken enemy force, initiating yet another engagement in which the Russians yet again inflicted heavy losses on the Ottomans and effectively dispersed and scattered what was left of their army which was now fleeing in all directions except north with many trying to swim across the Danube to escape the Russian onslaught only to die drowning, managing to capture the entire 300-ship Ottoman convoy and 30 cannons, therefore completing the Ottoman defeat and the Russian triumph at Kagul.

Thus for the rest of the war, the Ottomans were put on the defensive and lost all hope to turn the tables on the Russians and take the initiative from them.

A/N: Fun Fact: Frederick II The Great of Prussia contemptuously dubbed the Russo-Turkish war of 1768-74 “one-eyed men who have given blind men a thorough beating”

Well and now for the confession time…I wrote this instead of the actual chapter because I kept rewriting and rewriting the chapter and it got on my nerves and after reading an article about Frederick The Great I found this quote above and figured I will try writing a battle and here it is. So how was it? Good? Bad? Or meh?

P.S: The next chapter will be done when I will finish reading a book about Marie Antoinette(I have 85 pages left) so the next chapter will come out next week props at least I will try to finish it, but no promises as I’m bad at keeping them.

21