Closer as siblings (Brothers)
1.8k 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was sitting in the office of Duc de La Vauguyon with him in his chair and me in front of him with a board of chess on his desk.  What’s interesting that unlike a modern game of chess in this period chess games emphasized more on quick, tactical maneuvers rather than long-term strategic planning.

So here we are playing a game of chess with me being destroyed as I don’t have a single clue what am I doing and with every passing minute more and more of my black pieces are being taken down by the white pieces of Duc de La Vauguyon and I’m getting frustrated with every move.

‘’If you are getting frustrated playing against me, what would happen if you played against André Danican Philidor?’’

My teacher said seeing my ever-growing frustration.

‘’Who is this André Danican Philidor, some sort of chess master?’’

I asked him while moving my piece to take one of his own just to realize later that I was baited.

I just want this to be over with…

‘’Why yes that he is, he is the best player today I’m using his Philidor Defence against you.’’

Duc de La Vauguyon said as he moved his piece.

‘’Checkmate.’’

I slumped in my chair. Well at least the game is over with my loss and we can finally move on.

I watched silently as my teacher cleaned the table soon enough I found my mind drifting a bit.

I was already here for a couple of day after my tantrum, I’m not going to lie these days were hard as I’m still adapting to everything and trying to convince myself that this is my life now, even if deep down I don’t want to accept it still thinking that this is just some crazy dream and soon I will wake up. But with each passing day, those thoughts emerge less and less as I find myself on stronger foot in this new life of mine.

Still even though I’m adapting in baby steps is still face a lot of problems which one of them is lack of experience, even though I know the history of what’s about to happen, albeit naturally, I forgot some of the details, but the knowledge is useless if I don’t know how to rule and lead people so I can bring change into this land.

I’m truly happy that I have a man like Duc de La Vauguyon nearby. I spend countless hours, from morning till the evening, in his office learning from him about ruling, politics, court culture and war. Though it was a shame that he isn’t well versed in the economy which I need to learn the most if I want to get France out of debt and keep my head on my shoulders. But my teacher said that he will look for a man to teach me about economics, well it’s better than nothing, hope that that man comes sooner than when I take the throne.

‘’Brother!’’

A cheerful voice brought me out of my thoughts.

I looked back at the door and saw a chubby boy running in fallowed by a thin one.

‘’Brother! Brother! Come with us!’’

My chubby brother Louis Stanislas Xavier tugged my side excitedly.

I darted my eyes from him to Duc de La Vauguyon, trying to get my brother's attention and to remind him whose office he just ran into.

He just looked strangely at me like I was crazy

‘’Ahem.’’

Too late, well it was a pleasure meeting you Louis Stanislas Xavier we will never forget you.

I can see how my brother’s eyes widened as he saw my teacher staring at him.

‘’I-I’m sorry sir Duc de La Vauguyon’’

Louis said as he slightly lowered his head in an apology, this sight quite cute.

Then Charles came and too gave and an apology for interrupting and then berated Louis that he should have waited for my lessons to be over.

‘’No worries, my Princes, but what appears to be a problem that would need your brother's immediate attention?’’

My teacher inquired with an amusing face.

Wait for a minute…No lectures about manners, or a glare that shows you a thousand years’ worth of pain?

Apparently, my strict and unmovable teacher is weak to cute things…

‘’Oh, we wanted to show him a cat that we found in the garden and later I want to fight him because I learned a new move that will surely defeat my big brother!’’

He said as he puffed out his chest in the last part feeling quite proud of himself.

He is so cute I just want to pinch his chubby cheeks!

‘’So is brother free right now?’’

Louis asked with a huge smile plastered on his face.

‘’Yes he is, we already finished her so you can grab your brother and go outside’’

Did I hear that well? Did my teacher actually allow me to leave?

Just how powerful is the cuteness of my brother?

‘’Yes! Come, brother!’’

Louis said with obvious excitement in his voice as he started dragging me out.

I turned around bowed and thanked my teacher with Charles doing the same while Louis urged as on to hurry up.

We were walking down the corridors and searched in my head everything about now my brothers.

What I got that Louis is a carefree spirit, always happy, always smiling, basically he is the comedy relief, but Charles on other hand is really serious and a voice of reason between them, always upholding his manners and his duties as a prince even though he is only third in line in the succession of the throne of France. But who am I to talk about this when this body was born it was too only 3rd in line and now look at me, an heir to the crown and a soul in different bodies.

Lifeworks in a strange way or so I have learned these past days…

‘’Meeeaaoooowww.’’

A cat was heard and I could already see Louis running ahead all excited.

When I finally with Charles caught up with him I saw a maid bathing a brown cat or kitten to be exact.

The little kitten was meowing wanting to escape the watery prison that it was in, but the made hold it firmly in her hands and proceeded to bath it, cleaning it from all the dirt that it probably had on his fur.

As the maid finished bathing she dried the cat and rolled it into a towel as it was still a little wet and presented it to the jumping Louis who was as happy as a little kid near an ice-cream truck.

Louis then proceeded to coo the cat and calling it all sort of names, later even Charles joining in as he pated and stroked the cat's fur, the cat even started purring in delight of the attention that she was getting from the young princes.

I opted to stay on the sidelines and watched as the young boys played with the cat.

This scene was truly cute, it sucks that the camera isn’t invented yet, because I would be snapping pictures like crazy.

‘’Big brother, can we keep it, please, please, please, pretty please?’’

Louis begged me.

‘’Yes, brother, I would like to make him my loyal vassal.’’

Charles said with a small smile present on his usually stern face.

‘’Ermm…I don’t know about making a cat a vassal, but I have no objections to you for keeping him as a pet.’’

I replied to them and their faces got even happier.

‘’But you have talked about it with grandfather, after all, he is the one in charge.’’

And their faces have fallen once again.

Grandfather never would allow a wild cat to become a royal pet as it goes against royal standards.

‘’But I have a plan on how to make grandfather agree.’’

They once again grow excited.

It just irresistible not to play with them, they are so cute!

‘’First, you will say that I support your decision, next to that it will teach you responsibility and it will teach you about looking after your subjects, lastly, that you both will take care of it and everything that it will do will go on your heads as you will be responsible for the cat. Understood?’’

I said and both of them nodded and stood up probably going straight to grandfather.

‘’Oh and Charles will be the one talking because if he talks it will be more believable.’’

‘’What?!’’

Louis pouted while Charles gave a slight smirk and slightly puffed his chest as he just one-upped his brother.

‘’Now that we got that sorted go find grandfather and ask him, while I will go to see Aldric and ask for food, you both will find me at my chambers if you will need everything else.’’

‘’Okay.’’

The boys said as they scurried along and went to find the King, while I was going back to my chambers and told one of the servants to call Aldric and bring some food with him.

After I went to my room, it didn’t take long for Aldric to come with plates of food, it was a simple meal asparagus soup followed by beef, potatoes, and vegetables; it was simple yet delicious meal, probably that it was all-natural and wasn’t fabricated like in my times, the taste here is definitely better.

After the meal, I thanked Aldric as he left with the dishes while I started reading.

I never really liked reading or was against it, but after coming to this world and seeing this century’s entertainments, or lack of them, I found myself clinging onto books and slowly they became my hobby.

It sounds crazy, but did you know that such classics as Gulliver’s Travels and Robinson Kruse were written in the 18th century? No? Neither did I, so you would probably guess how surprised I was when I learned that these books existed and even have even a couple of decades on them.

As of yesterday, I picked a new play called ‘Tartuffe’ which was written by Jean-Baptise Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Moliere.

I’m really enjoying it so far, especially learning more about the characters and story through the director's eyes and opinions. The story is about a con artist who worms his way into a family's affections by claiming to be a religious man. The father essentially offers his daughters hand in marriage to the main character, but over time, realizes something is not right. It was a commentary on how Moliere felt about religion in the 17th century, especially how some people were using it as a way to look pious on the outside, but do whatever they wanted behind closed doors. There's great sarcasm, wit, and humor in the play, especially if you let yourself approach it in a comedic way, rather than get caught up on understanding all the background and setting. Read it as though it weren't necessarily about religion, focusing on the way a person can disguise their true intentions to achieving their goals.

This book is just for me as I too know of the dark side of religion and I’m actively finding out ways how to separate church from the government, which will be hard in the 18th century as people are frighteningly religious and some even believe more in what tells the Church instead of the government, then I will need to reorganize all the taxes imposed on the commoners without having a massive backlash that I surely will come when I start moving things, because nobody likes when someone starts moving their things and they will surely fight back against my new ideas.

Duc de La Vauguyon is right I will need loyal and competent subjects to make all my plans work that I have for France or I will find myself dead even before the revolution.

I then gently closed the book and put it on my desk, now I have to wait for my siblings to come.

Now that I think about it my brothers and sisters will become crucial to my plans as I can marry them to find allies and even get them in the highest post if need be.

So far I didn’t saw in any of them some malicious attempt towards me nor do I remember one, they are good kids so I will definitely find them suitable husbands and wives that would be worthy of them.

So much to do, yet so little time…

KNOCK

KNOCK

Lost inside my own musings, I hear knocking on my door.

‘’Come in!’’

I said.

‘’Brother!’’

Louis barged into my room and ran towards me with the little brown kitten in his hands.

Judging by the huge smile on his face and the loud voice they got the King’s approval.

‘’So how did it go?’’

I asked, even if I knew that my plan worked.

‘’Yes, the plane worked flawlessly, brother, We found the king in his chamber, at first the King was denying us our request, but with the backing of Madame du Barry which was on his lap, saying that he should agree and let them continue something, he agreed and dismissed us.’’

I didn’t need to know that last part, Charles! Seriously these kids are so innocent…

‘’That’s good, now, did you figure out a name for the cat?’’

I asked both of them as they shook their heads.

‘’I wanted to call him fluffy, but the grumpy Charles denied me!’’

‘’I’m not grumpy!’’

‘’Yes you are, Mister Grumpy!’’

‘’Then you are fat!’’

‘’No, I’m mot fat I just have big bones!’’

And they started their childish bickering, throwing all those childish insults at each other.

‘’How about calling him Brunus?’’

I interjected before they continue once more.

‘’Brunus?’’

They both asked.

‘’Brunus. It’s Latin for brown.’’

Louis then stared at the cat in his hands.

‘’Brunus?’’

‘’Meow.’’

The little cat replied to my little brother.

‘’Brunus! From now on you will be known as sir Brunus the best cat in all of France!’’

Louis let out a cheerful laugh as he spun the cat around.

‘’Yes, Brunus is a good name for a vassal.’’

Charles nodded.

It was good seeing little kids being all happy, now I wish I had children in my previous life.

Well who said that I couldn’t have some in this life, it’s pretty much expected from me to produce an heir to the throne.

Then I realized. Louis XVI was married to Marie Antoinette!

If I remember correctly she was from Austria. Wait! Does that mean that in the upcoming ball those important guests will be Marie Antoinette and her entourage? Don’t tell me they are going to marry me a 15-year-old?

I smacked myself on the head.

Of course, they will, by the laws of this time I’m already a man… Oh, how I’m not looking forward to this…

‘’Brother, why did you just smack yourself?’’

Charles asked me with his usual straightness.

‘’It’s nothing, I was just thinking.’’

I replied.

‘’Hoho! You are probably thinking about how I will defeat you today!’’

Said Louis with pride.

He did say something about beating me with some new move that he apparently learned.

‘’Of course, I’m so afraid of your new move!’’

I jested him.

‘’You better be! Just let me take sir Brunus to one of the servants so they can look after it and let’s go to the garden there I will show you my new powerful move!’’

Louis replied letting his imagination run wild, let’s hope that move is just as good as Louis thinks it is.

Let me tell you it wasn’t it was just double punch move, that I easily blocked.

Of course then Louis was all sad that his move didn’t work like he wanted, while Charles just called it stupid and they both went into another argument, which I broke up and the started teaching them some moves from my times, like palm strikes, elbow blocks, and strikes, some kicking moves, basically everything that I see on TV or the Internet

After lessons we then fooled around some more, playing tag, hide and seek and even wrestling till the evening when it was time for supper.

It was a nice day, I’m kind of happy that Duc de La Vauguyon let my brothers too drag me out as I got to get closer to them and remember my own childhood.

I deep down wished that these carefree days would never end, but I knew otherwise and soon I will have to get to work rebuilding this nation.

A/N: Another chapter is done and even though I wanted to move onto the ball scene I figured out that we are rushing too fast and I wanted to do something with the siblings so here you have it, next chapter would be about the sisters and then we will see if we will move on onto the ball scene, we will see.

JOIN DISCORD: https://discord.gg/zyvJwMM

36