Chapter 1: I can see you
1.8k 8 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The exclusive Maid of Lady Stephany, Halsey.
Month 5, day 9, A.T 882. MIDNIGHT
at the Reign’s main mansion.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Being a chambermaid has its terrors, especially if the family you are serving is somewhat unpleasant. However, the staff serving the Reign house, anything is bearable but being able to be ten feet near the third daughter of the Grand duke. Yes, every one of us here would rather spoon-feed the pigs or fetch water using a spoon and fill a barrel to the brim.

Unfortunately, it was a task given to me rather forcefully by the major-domo. Opening my mouth to reason out my dislike, but he was hellbent. I held in my two shivering hands was the silver tray filled with a mouthwatering meal for the child. A wave of uncomfortable anger starts to burn on my chest. I have always loathed this child with all of my soul. So primitive, fragile but so stubborn as to raise her head high, despite her being a freakshow. It always was a mystery of why the Grand duke let her live, rather than killing her or selling her as a slave and freeing this family from all its worries and troubles.

All around town, the Grand Duke was the only one who gave a reasonable wager for its servants, especially at this dark time. Another additional sum to my initial wager was more than enough to bring bread to my family's table, perhaps a new dress or a couple of weary earrings the town's gypsy. However, the late-night trips to give her sustenance are becoming my undoing as it is.

I hurry down through the corridors and exit to the back of the Estate. Pebbles crunch down at my feet as I make my way to the library. The library was a huge tower with a glass dome-like ceiling, somewhat can be also concluded as an observatory type. Behind the silver cover gave the sweet aroma of freshly baked chocolate cake as per usual request.

In any case, when I arrived in front of the library. I proceeded inside without delays, I immediately smelled the old books and dust, and it invaded my nostrils without my consent. My eyes became sweaty and itchy because of the dust pouring down from the ceiling.

Is there anyone going to clean this place? I thought to myself as I scrunch up my nose preventing a sneeze from releasing. I think the maid intended to clean this portion of the house never step foot here since the third child found residence between these piles of papers. 

Just being under her gaze, you could feel something sinister crawling up from your spine down to the sides of your neck. I sometimes brush this off-putting in mind that she is just a child, probably craving attention as she pretends to be non-existent in this household. Thinking about the glow in her eyes sends goosebumps all over my body.

The floor is coated in dust, some books were piling up beside the shelves and spider webs had spawned here and there.

I want to clean this library, but considering the hardships and trouble, no. There is no merit in me doing that, it would only help her and be under her scrutinizing gaze the whole time.

I walked into the center of the room, where a round table was placed while it was basking under the light of the moon. I gently lay down the tray on the table and a small wave of dust is made. I didn’t bother it since there was a silver sphere covering it.

She was nowhere to be found. I turned a searching eye for where she may be.

Hidden by a wall of books in a dark part of the library she sat on the floor, books sprawled all over her, and have no disregard for the order the library she should have.

My, what a troublemaker!

I was internally enraged by the clutter before me. It's hard to assume that she intentionally did it but my anger seemed to cloud my judgment. Having an exhausting day at the mansion today didn't help me with my wavering patience. With whole force, I pushed the pile of books in front of me creating a domino effect.

But as the books fell mere inches away from her face, it stopped like a pause in time.

I assessed the situation before me, my breath hitched as I found some kind of explanation for what happened, maybe it was just a little parlor trick. My eyes accidentally swept by hers and I trembled with fear as air failed to fill my lungs. I feel an unseen force prickling my skin. She glared at me from head to toe with those velvet eyes, and so gave me a sudden fight or flight feeling.

At the state of my fear and panic, I was able to process a thought. Those eyes, red pupils are said to be an offspring of demons, so as those black and silver-colored hair and pupils. 

She is a demon, and that is a fact.

I prayed for all the saints for the strength of fleeing but somehow I couldn't move. Before I could even process any more thoughts, my knees went numb and fell to the cold ground.

I shuddered in fear.

I still couldn’t move, no. I’m too scared to move. My mind screamed for help, but it didn’t escape through my mouth and before I knew it, I was blown away a couple of feet, it was a weird feeling at first.

What happened? How? Was that Magic? That’s impossible! She didn’t chant right!? She doesn’t even have an instructor to train her magic! Additionally, one cannot obtain knowledge about the magic if they haven’t surpassed a certain age.

From this view, the books that almost had fallen, it slowly came back to their original position, and I was able to see my lifeless body fell to its demise as the blood gushed out violently from my neck.

Lady Stephany didn’t change her emotions, she wasn’t feeling guilty. What a monster.

I was not able to comprehend what happened and fell into the world of endless darkness

Part 2

The third daughter of the Reign family, Stephany Reign.

Month 5, day 9, A.T 882. MIDNIGHT

Within the library of the Reign family 

 

I stood up from the chair to clean up the mess, it's quite unfortunate that another maid died. Knowing these things could happen any time in the future, it became trivial labor to me. Furthermore, I have lost count of how many maids that disturb me and were killed in the end. Who was she again? If my memory serves me right, her name is Halsey. 

It's not entirely my fault. To begin with, I didn't ask for a servant, let alone disturbing me every time I read, so I didn't have a choice but to eliminate them before they could do much worse, to be precise, ruining my peace. Before asking, there is probably much more tyrant and dominant noble or royalty out there, but it's not like I can place blame on them because of my personality. 

Going near the headless body, its neck spilled out blood violently as the body did its last convulse, I stood in front of it as I started casting an attribute.

"Burn," Said with a monotone voice. 

One word came out from my mouth, the maid's body flashed inflamed, her body disintegrated to ashes then to nothingness. Not a speck of ash remained, and even the smell of the burnt corpse mix in the air vanished as well. Although, even without using chants or keywords, I could still manifest magic, wouldn’t it look cool if I said that? No? Probably not in front of a dead body and asking innocently to the nonexistent person in the room. And I should stop doing cool things, some might mistake me as a delusional child.

Just to let you know, I am a mage, a superior atop of it. And someone who had experienced life before being reborn to another. As one of those superior, I am well-versed in terms of image and knowledge behind it every actions that I had committed 

Hm? Who am I talking to? Isn't that supposed to be you? The one whose gaze is all over my body at this very moment, like a heated animal who wants to ogle my body, I am bothered with you not responding, so should you respond something to make your presence be acknowledged.

"I pray for the Goddess of Doll to release you from her string of control, and fall in the burning hell."

I gave my prayers to her, though it is not tied to a being higher than any normal race. Rather than a prayer, I'd like to call it a chant, something like a farewell bid. Anyhow, I sat back at the chair and the tray situated in the middle of the round table responded to my mana, it floated towards me. I noticed her presence at the moment she stepped on the gravel path outside, and since she is Halsey, unlike other maids, she bothers to go at midnight to respond to my call, and bring food for me. 

I bluntly took off the silver covering the food, expecting something sweet to fill the desire of wanting the flavor sweet, and was surprised by a slice of the chocolate cake presented on the tray. Seeing the texture of a smooth icing, spattered with caramel and its sweet smell invaded my nostrils, I couldn't help but savor it immediately. I took the spoon that came with it and proceeded to eat the icing off the sides. The sweet sugary flavor burst inside my mouth. 

Whilst enjoying the food brought by Halsey, I used my delicate fingers to move onto the next page of my book, oh? It seems that I have already finished the whole book, regarding interesting matters such as theories in reincarnation. 

Though I have read about this in my past life, I neglect it since its rather a dumb idea. As we are stuck with our desires to know more than enough, we prefer to prolong our lives with mana, than to end it. Furthermore, there are many problems to take care of, mainly concerning beasts.

As I am a reincarnated mage now, I want to know the reasons behind why I reincarnated and how it was possible for a reincarnation. Naturally, earlier I had said 'theories' so there hasn't been a mage proved the reincarnation. 

The book informed me that for reincarnation to happen, it needed two individuals in opposing genders from a place before. To simply put, if area 1 is mainly full of A people, a separate area 2 with people B. Then 2 B people from area 2 go to area 1, in that case, there are only 2 B people in area 1. So theoretically, a reincarnation on area 1 can happen, and naturally, that reincarnated individual is from area 2.

Foreign domestic reproduction syndrome, the reincarnation theory. There was a long line that supports this theory, surely the mage who wrote this must be addicted to that phenomenon, or have delusions in that matter. 

Closing its cover, I put the book atop of another pile of books beside me, and grabbed a white key with intricate patterns. The pale key was attached to a thin silver chain that hangs around my neck and is concealed under my robe. 

I chanted a specified incantation, which allowed me to manifest another dimension. 

“Sinite Nos ipsos hoc mundo intrant. Quia ego possessor.”

Surrounding me is a pile of books, randomly sorted and piled placed all over the room, however, the space in front of me became distorted, the pale streaking violet and dark blue color mixed as it revolves around the empty black space that suddenly appeared, as if cleaving reality. It slowly grew to a point where I can fit my head on it. 

The air remained still and the books didn’t show signs of movement either. This dimension in front of me is a vortex to my never-ending library. An archive that stores books from other worlds even in different timelines, namely "The World Of Archive".

If an individual creates a book. The World of Archive will duplicate the book and store it in the depths of the archive. For there are many worlds with different timelines, I would assume the books that were stored were more to my demise. That also means that the knowledge I could get is infinite!

In my previous life, due to this power, my main role in the society was to supply books for the society of mages. The head librarian of the central Nexus, was my main position. However, whatever goes to the head councils and elders mind, the central society always nominates me to every beast attack there is. They do know that I am an elder too, right? But, I was never able to refuse their request, it was a majority up vote after all. 

They all very well knew that I am the most important head figure of the society, without me, they won’t even get to see new books and mysterious phenomenons there is to explore. Tsk, enough of the worthless anger.

Having a thirst for knowledge like any mage would, I'm quite fond of doing research and logic. I removed my hands from the key and lifted my hand while using levitation magic to direct the books back to the archive. As if revolving around me like the center point, they slowly disappeared within the black spot of the archive.

When that was finished, I stepped forward and made my hands enter the vortex. I thought of random numbers. All the books have their numbers in the archive, they are sorted randomly and you will never be certain if you get the book you want or not. 

Thinking of a random number of 177013 and all of a sudden, my hand inside the vortex got heavy as something was placed atop my palm. I didn't panic about what it was, because I already know the drill. I returned my hand and saw a book atop my palm, it is titled "The Colossus of Maroussi by Henry Miller."

Excellent.

Repeating the process 14 times, and returning to my chair after taking them out, and continues to read. While doing so, I ate my cake as I enjoyed reading my books peacefully.

<<Skill name: World of Archive>> 

The world of the Archive is a dimension from another world, storing every existing book from other worlds, it does not matter which timeline nor how the conditions of the book are. This ability is not available to everyone nor accessible to anyone with the exception of Stephany.

The language issues are resolved whenever a book is taken from the Archive, however, that book is only but a copy. If Stephany so desires, she could take the original ones, however, the language will not be translated. 

The world of Archive does not consume any mana from the user nor has any side effects on using the world of Archive. And when Summoning the world of archive it does not disturb the natural mana. 

When summoning the world of archives, the user is required to be capable of summoning the archive, otherwise, side effects may occur. Furthermore, unlike manifesting magic or magic spells, the world of archive needs an incantation before it manifests. A medium is also required if not, mana is required. 

 

<<CASE_FILE/Society of mage/Natural Mana>>

Surrounding us is air, so as the natural mana. It does not contribute to elements and attributes when converting the mana, although it disturbs the surroundings like waves in the calm lake.

When a mage converts an attribute, that mage will take mana from its mana pool and will cause the natural mana to move like waves. The natural mana does not only move from the mana of sources, but also physical motions. 

When waves impact another, the waves only overlap each other while not decreasing its movements nor strength. The natural mana does not have the strength to move physical nor spiritual objects.

 

Part 3

The third daughter of the Reign Family, Stephany Reign.
Month 5, day 10, A. T 882. Just before noon
Within the library of the Reign.

 

Hours and hours of reading, I was drowned by endless pages of the books and was unable to keep track of time. Before I knew it, it was almost noon. I haven't eaten any breakfast or lunch. Although I can create food through witchcraft and alchemy craft, I decided not to. Well, it’s not like eating food will make me healthy and alive, to mages, micro-managing themselves were more hectic than any labor. Although some mages tend to like cooking and eating, they were not seen as “weird” from our perspective, since we don’t bother doing so.

Even though I am not feeling tired or sleepy, since we also don’t need sleep or rest, I still yawned as if it was natural. The heat had spread inside the entire building, its summer season after all. The heat does not bother me either, it’s not like I will sweat in any given high temperature. 

For now, I want to eat something sweet, not to satisfy hunger, but satisfy the craving of my mouth. And since that maid Halsey giving me food had died, I have no choice but to ring a bell to request refreshments from the servant’s chambers.

I walked near the entrance of the library and found a bell sat atop an oak table beside the entrance of the door. Although the bell isn’t attached to anything like on a thread, it still functions since it’s a magical item, which if you ring it. It would send mana waves to the other device of the servant's chambers. Hence, they can know if their masters want something.

I tried taking it but before I could, the double door entrance beside the table opened forcefully and the fresh wind from the outside world burst in as if it was invading the building. The dust forms a stormy cloud filled with dirt. 

Just who are you to open my door like that? Well, I already know who it is. That’s why I didn’t use my magic to vent my irritation.

“Stephany? Are you there?”

Yes, it is him.

A familiar voice that shouted near the door, called my name, but I didn’t reply. It was my father — Alusu, the Duke. His appearance immediately resurfaced in my mind, under his nose was a mustache that curved down to his chin and his handsome young adult face was simply astonishing. Despite aging 40 years old after birth, his pompadour hairstyle is well suited to his rich skinned-face, not to mention, he has a well-built youth.

Unlike my previous world, human’s lifespan is around a hundred, whilst in this world, Liettera, apparently it's not the case. I haven’t gone exploring the world yet since I secluded myself inside the library. The articles about aging in Liettera that I have read, it seems like the more mana you have, the longer you live.

“Oh” he let out a startled voice as if he saw me “There you are”

Despite the power to do anything that I like, I didn't do so. The power of creation and destruction, revealing it will certainly end my peace, more so likely that power balance of the world. Why is that the case? I am a mage from my previous life, a powerful and superior atop of that. But being in that position, I was extremely busy doing the things that I wanted. 

The mage society, home for mage and protector of humanity, some mages are powerful like me, and some have even surpassed me. As I had said, being able to open the world of Archive, my main role was to supply the books in society, and more on killing beasts. Well, despite being the protector of humanity, it doesn't mean that the society of mages was known to humanity, our existence was hidden behind their shadows as we protect them.

 So I would like it if this peace would go on for eternity as I bask under the numerous knowledge provided from the world of archives.

I know that revealing a tiny bit of my power would alleviate my current situation, but it would still lead to my demise. Being the useless part of the family would only destroy my reputation, that I care less about it. If my siblings have known about my so-called freed status, I dare say that they have something behind their sleeves, their hidden knives that will destroy my peace, 

I rather soak in a pool of stinky mud and not bathe for many weeks, than to let go of my peace. Why am I so obsessed with peace, you ask? The answer to that is simple, from a standpoint of a pawn protecting the society for hundreds to thousands of years, from a perspective of a librarian wanting peace and silence under its sanctuary, and from my personal opinion, doesn’t a straightforward life greater than a life who sunk itself from the dangers of depravity. 

I fear that there are also mages in this world that have the same situation as me, and because of that, the society of mages will be restored and be active in this world too. And perchance they discover my existence, they will force me to return to my position and assist them. Rebel them you say? As easy as it may sound like, the society of mages has a number one law, in which if a mage were to rebel, every single mage within the area will assist in terminating the person in question.

It’s a different case for breaking the rules and laws in the society of mages. We have [executors] in the society of mages, they are given specialized training and learning on how to capture a mage. After they graduate from it, they will be bestowed with a powerful title [executors] Thus, they were in charge of handling rule breakers and lawbreakers. For their punishment, tower masters in the area that happened will be the ones giving suitable punishment.

For the case, if the higher position mage, like a tower master, grand mage, or holders, did something similar, every mage in the society will be mobilized and be given many rewards to the person who terminated the person in question. There is no given mercy to the person in question unless they surrendered before clashing into battle.

Those reasons made me hold back on destroying everything that stands in my way. Of course, if no rules and laws like that existed in the first place, I would have conquered the world. It would be the same if I confirmed that there are no mages other than me in this world, I would also conquer this world.

Well, the literal plan of conquer in mind, it’s just putting a curse to all beings in this world, a curse that they will not oppose me in any way or disturb me. It’s not like I will do anything to make them live under my thumb and give unreasonable demands. It will be the same old kind, which I will live in a library and read at peace. If they give offerings, then I should be thankful, if there is war between countries, then I care about it. 

Without turning back to look at him nor give a proper greeting, I stayed at my spot. Not moving an inch, and the cold runs down to my skin. I can hear the constant footsteps which echoed across the whole building, it grew louder as it came closer to me.

He placed his hands at my shivering shoulder, which startled me.

“What are you doing?” His gentle voice was pleasant to my ears, unlike years ago he always had that thunderous voice, and despite his sudden actions earlier. He had severely changed, but what made him change like this? The difference between the previous and the current we're miles apart. I can’t describe it with characters.

He continued, “Never mind that, please come with me.” 

I was frightened and intimidated by him to the point I could not lift my finger, or I was supposed to look like it. Though I know that this current treatment could have become much better if I reveal my magic and capabilities as the 3rd daughter of the Reign Family, however, I don't want to ruin my peaceful and lazy life. I'm already satisfied with this treatment, and any more than this would likely cause an unfortunate situation in my future.

Our parents merit our contributions to the power and influence that our family has collected throughout the years. Since that was made so, if I reveal my powers, I may have a chance to inherit the family, not ‘slightly alleviating my current treatment’, and the invitations of marriage proposals will flood the mailbox. Furthermore, I will be troubled by political powers and roles. Additionally, the Duke holds the rights of the importation and exportation of the Demiurge empire. 

That job will come to bother me and likely end my reading time, which I hate the most. The things I have done before will only repeat in this world as well. Cloning and creating homunculi of myself is another story since there was a time that happened in the society of mages, the homunculi rejected the orders of their masters, hence leading mass killing in the society of mages. 

The clones are alike, theorized as “regaining consciousness with numbers of knowledge”. As the title has said, homunculi and clones regain consciousness from the hidden emotions and stored knowledge of the original. Thus, they were made as laws “At any given scenario, the use of cloning and homunculi will not be used (index#12211)”

Though all speculations will not happen because I have silver hair and blood-colored pupils that are said to be a cursed appearance and an offspring of the demons. This is also the reason for my downfall.

I should be thankful for my siblings because they are the ones that carry the heavy responsibility given from our parents, the fact that I am also the youngest, otherwise if I were the eldest, I would be the one that will carry it, only if I don't have this curse appearance of mine. 

Why do you ask? I mean, I certainly have this vast knowledge that one would want to hold. I am literally a walking library here. Not that I will mention it in any scenario that may come. Perhaps the duke asks about going to school, then I will have to reveal my knowledge so I could avoid going to school. Is it school? Or the academy? I don’t know which, since I care less about it. 

I gave a slight nod, he suddenly lifted me in a bridal carry style. I was wearing an oversized black robe that covers every part of my body and under it was a white long sleeve and black shorts, not totally into fashion since they are trivial to maintain, and they take a lot of time to do just for nothing.

Whilst looking at him, his eyes were filled with resolve and determination. I wonder who brought or how those feelings came to him, I unconsciously shivered. In the first place, what is he thinking? He obfuscates me with his neutral face, not that I have the right to say it.

He gazed down at me and made a gentle smile, he said.

“I apologize, my dear daughter, to what I had done to you for these past years" His apologetic tone scares me the most, his passive intimidation had gone nowhere.

 This is way too uncomfortable to describe. 

He continues, "Good job for not ending your life with these absurd treatments I gave you. I meant it. So, let me start again as your compassionate and ever supporting father."

The edges of his lips curve upwards and his eyes have no hint of acting nor lying. Over the years, I had known the duke as strict, but I never got to meet this side of his personality.

"Mnh" My voice leaks out from my shut tight mouth as I give a slight nod. 

I wanted to cry, or just to add to my con action, but why would I waste my tears on that act? I think my current actions are enough to deceive him. Wait, in the first place, why is he here? To a place separated from the main house?

"Thank you," he said. I was not able to comprehend why he'd thank me, rather I should be the one that has to be thankful. Nonetheless, this works out for me too

Soon after, the duke carried me to the mansion, while proceeding, so I covered my eyes with my loose hoodie.

As he walked the gravel pathway leading towards the back entrance of the mansion, or I assumed it to be, the waves of mellow breeze touched my skin, it somehow made me feel sick. Additionally, I'm in a position visible to the racking motions which added that sickness sensation. In this black pitch, I can still see the world is rotating. 

When I felt everything seemed to calm down, the motions and sounds had lessened. This was the moment I knew we had entered the mansion, and I uncovered my eyes. 

The interior of the mansion was massive, elaborate high walls made from polished quartz, it shined limitless. In every corner of the corridors formed an arch between the walls, which had a similar motif as the walls, and magic lamps were cascading under the ceiling.

The duke proceeded down the corridors. Walking and walking, the complicated ways of the corridors were similar to those labyrinths. On the way, a portrait of a beautiful maiden was hanging against the wall, her figure was alluring to one’s eyes. No wonder why the duke married such a woman but died after giving birth to me.

Her name is Jeanne Hildegarde, she had a vibrant golden hair that cascade under her bountiful breasts. Her eyes gleam a natural faint yellow color, which was fitting to her healthy skin. Just looking at her healthy body, it was completely impossible to say that she died giving birth to me.

Besides my Mother's portrait was another, but this time it's a man. A man with a bulky body, his muscles are drawing contours in his royal uniform, and he has a smile stretched out as much as it can. If I am right, that man's name is Yardros Radrar Reign, the duke’s older brother.

The duke continued without taking a glance at his beloved wife’s portrait nor his brother, he continued until we arrived in front of a room. He took a brief moment to breathe and entered.

The room was pitch black. However, a dim light provided by the smooth crystal ball was placed atop a purple pillow with frilly yellow stripes.

And because of the light, the room showed no signs of its contour. The stillness of the room was euphoric to me, my heart was thrilled by this complete silence and peace. 

The dim ball glows as it tries to fight against the darkness that the room had, and thus made a mystical vibe. Each time it glows to its peak, waves of mana interrupts the natural ones. It was like sitting on a nearby bay, the ocean’s breeze touching my skin as the natural air was pushed back behind the shores.

Analyzing this sudden event taking place, I realize that I’m already 13 years old, which according to the information I have read from the books, in this world, they have a weird custom where all the people that had aged at 13 will be their magic identified and their mana pool by this ball.

If you had received an [fireball] as your magic, it will become your magic for eternity. To make your magic more powerful, you will have to train again and again until you finally master it. 

For those people who haven't aged at 13, they are unable to identify their magic is and their mana pool. Thus, it would lead to the conclusion of not being able to use magic. However that is not the case for me and all the members of the society of mages, mana is bestowed to “humans”, it does not matter which age or date. Afterward, the group [mage retrievers] will be sent out in the world to kidnap that individual.

If the individual does not join the society of mages after being given the general introduction of the society, that individual will be given [cursed] as per the laws, in which that individual’s mana will never manifest.

Anyways, I somehow strayed away from the main subject. After getting [mana], mages will be trained in society, making them able to use numerous to finite numbers of magic. It includes the use of crafts.

However, it is not the same case in this world. Liettera, or so this world is called, the people that obtained two magics will instantly be considered a genius and are sought-after by the Demiurge empire. I give my condolences to the fallen people since they will no longer feel the freedom, and among those people are my siblings. Every family member of the Reigns has two magic, if not, others have compensated through skill.

The Duke is remarkable. He has magic called [Divine heal] which heals every pain and injury, even disease that can't be healed with any medicine in this world. He can cast it on anyone he likes. This begs the question, why? If the Duke has this magic, then why didn’t he used it to heal Jeanne? Just what had happened during my birth? 

If the Duke used it, Jeanne would have lived under any circumstances, and I wouldn’t have been teased by my siblings this much. Though, I pray that Jeanne has a reasonable personality and does not discriminate colors. Aside from that, he also has skill called [Weapon Manipulator], which can master every item that can be considered as a weapon. It is said that he can use weapons without even touching it.

For that reason, people respect him and think of him as a savior. He is extremely powerful with his magic and skill combined.

Well, that is only the world’s standards. The standard average of a mage in the society of mages is when a mage has fully learned 2 crafts, which takes about 1400 years of training and learning. Having single magic and skill is like a mere ant to a mage’s sight, but that is only when the person in question does not have the battle experience, otherwise, that person is a child to a mage’s eye. 

That said, my power will make everyone turn to greed and hunt me for power, well, that is only what I can think of. Although I can kill those who bother me, like that maid earlier. However, if every living being is in a hunt for my power, I have no choice but to terminate everyone. I don’t care if they live in fear because of me. But the fear of other mages made me unable to do as I like.

Thus, I concluded to hold back the power as much as I can, hold the grudge as much as the threshold of my patience can. Because the moment the chain that holds myself breaks, I will terminate everyone at sight, not making any exceptions. Of course, I will do everything in secret so that my existence will not be known by the mages.

After a brief second of that thought process, I returned to reality and applied my speculations to actions. A woman clad in a maroon-colored robe sat before the glowing crystal ball, she gave a side-long glance to me, and quickly her gaze returned to the ball.

Somehow, despite this woman’s stiff expression, I had the impression that she is hiding something. Something so sorrowful that slowly breaks her from within, but the moment an incident happens while relating to what she hides, she will break.

 I have an eye for a person, I develop that insight throughout the long years that I was alive in my previous world. The Duke slowly walks his way towards the chair, which was at the opposite of the woman, and gently puts me down on that chair.  He stands beside me and introduces the woman before me.

"This is Grey," The duke said as he shifted his gaze at the woman who gave a response by waving her hands and smiled brightly "A first-rate wandering Caster. Follow her instructions without disobeying"

I replied with a weak nod and looked at Grey. I feel like something happened between them, either in their affairs of affection to each other, or maybe they are in a fight because something happened.

Thus, that would only mean that my father cheated? Men are men after all. However, In this world - Leiterra, it's rather usual. Men can marry as many women as they want, as long as there is consent. Not only men but also women can marry as many men as they like. 

"Greetings Milady Stephany, I am Grey, the wandering caster. I am honored to be your appraiser" She repeatedly introduces herself 

That being said, should I give a reply or not? Under any circumstances, one would reply an introduction right? But, if that is the case, then would my image be ruined? I doubted and simply stared at Grey. 

She put up a complicated expression as she proceeded to her subject.

"Please place your palm on the Ball of magic Appraiser" 

Casters… To what I have read in the books, the word mage is nonexistent to them, and they call their magic users as casters. The books said nothing about the casters other than they can cast powerful magic, and I can’t trace the origin word for their casters since the word caster seems to naturally fade into existence. 

As for me, I’d like to address myself as a mage, or that’s what we call ourselves in my previous world.  Also, they have an item we haven’t invented yet, the ball of the magic appraiser. Well, based on the name itself, it would seem that it can only identify the magic of the individual, which it would be useless to make in my previous world since every individual starts at basic, it does not include what talent and skills you have. The growth of a mage is decided by how much you have learned and trained, which will likely show up signs soon.

I did what she instructed, after placing my palm on the ball and pouring a faint of my mana while carefully converting mana into an attribute that is [Frozen]. It's basic among basic from the combination of elements [wind], [water], and [cold]. Having [frozen] attribute, or magic for casters as pretext, it comes with various exploits in mind, but that would be a detail on another day. 

The ball shines corresponded a faint blue color like translucent ice above shallow water, I retreated my hand to its place and waited for Grey's report to my father 

Grey's face was vaguely visible from here, and her complexion grew as she stared at me with a worried expression. I might have sent too little, which I’m fuck. I was aiming to be average to meet the world’s standards, 

"The result is of an average Grand Dukes' power, Sir Alusu." She said, casting her gaze downwards. “Her power is [Frozen]”

That was average? Even though I have sent just a faint? Just how low are this world’s standards? It would not be long that a mage will conquer this world, or it really might be because they are terminated by the society of mages. 

Furthermore, I don't know the comparison of an average Grand Duke's power and a commoner's power, maybe just another make-up belief.

When a brief second collapses, I think about the future. If I have average power, that means I can choose two paths. Either go the same path or socialize me with nobles, which I dislike. Yup, it is certainly decided! I'd rather go on the same path! 

 I think the duke hasn't let my existence be known in the high society of mages yet because of my cursed appearance, so in order for me to not go to school, I have to show my father that I certainly have mature thoughts and excessive knowledge for a 13-year-old child, and could live independently in the future.

Well, it’s not like it matters that much anyway since I have this cursed appearance of mine. Because of that, I will seclude myself in the library till the day that my relatives die, I might travel and look for a place to stay and live life without troubles. There are magics that can change my appearance, but I fear not since the caster has only one magic, so the chance of a caster getting magic that could change appearance is extremely low. 

I look at the duke's reaction. By looking at it, I really can’t tell. It is somewhat relieved and somewhat disappointed. Was this the reaction I’m waiting for? Perfectly balanced as all things should be?

The duke notices my long stare and gives me a stern look, he lets out a heavy sigh. He is clearly disappointed in me. I mean, my siblings are very talented individuals and possess a natural genius, furthermore, the soon-to-be the heir of the family - Linux is currently managing a fief properly while going to school! If I am right, his fief is currently a single town and that is the Cardin town, which is located north of our main town.

“Sir Alusu!” Grey shouted furiously, yet her voice trembled. “Please… Don’t dispose of your daughter because it did not meet your expectations!”

Eh? I’m going to get disposed of if I don’t meet his expectations? That would be troublesome if he did it now since I still don’t know if there are other mages like me in this world, furthermore, I still haven’t collected enough data to make myself blend into the society.

“I won’t” His hands crawled up to my head and shakes it, “Rather I was thinking, that Grey will become Stephany’s home tutor”

Huh? Am I being mocked right now? I felt like something inside me snapped, and almost unconsciously cast [burn] targeting the duke, but I immediately stopped as I soon realized it. Well, a mage who had lived thousands of years and harbored much knowledge in the entire lifetime, would also react the same. 

I reminded myself that if the duke suddenly went missing in action from noble society, I don’t know what would happen in the family house of reign. If my siblings couldn't even bear to look at me as they inherit the title. I will be regarded as an intruder in this house because I haven’t been properly introduced to high society.

Following after being exiled is being caught by mages, thus my peace will end if the duke dies. Before knowing it, I calmed myself with the power of persuasion. 

The slither of hope was held by Grey’s response, I anticipated Grey’s reaction. However, just looking at her surprise reaction turned to joyful, it was then I immediately knew, my life from now on will be extremely hectic. Grey replied with an enthusiastic tone.

“With pleasure!”

I let out a sigh in my head, I will have to orchestrate her death later in the days, otherwise, I’ll be chased down with nonsense teaching and learning. Her behavior just now reminds me of my sister, Freya, who was extremely annoying, but that being said. If her existence disappeared, everyone would be alarmed. Or so as the mouthful servant says, Freya is an extremely beautiful and kind child, which was similar to those angels. She was well-known across the continents and the church. 

The more influence and connection that an individual has, the more I think about my actions carefully and thoroughly. Well, I had the intention of orchestrating her death, but I somehow made an exception towards her. 

Why? If Freya who bothers me every time is alive after our interactions, I will not be regarded as the one who made the maids disappear. A creepy child who creates fear towards adults, not only that, has average power and can only use [frozen] magic, surely the chances of me getting suspected from the disappearance of the maid are slim.

Actually, having Grey right now is better, I can make it that the incident of the disappearing servants of mine, will be directed to Grey, who claimed to be a wandering caster. A nobody that entered the house of Reigns to teach a child, only to be suspected for the disappearance of the maids.

“I will leave everything to you,” The duke said and nonchalantly exited the room.

It was then, the operation [exiling Grey] had started. 

 

<<CASE_FILE #GREY>>

>Lieterra/Appearance/GREY

The rosy cheeks twisted as the edges of her lip curves upward, her pointy ears were hidden under her deep purplish-blue colored hair, which cascades below her shoulders. Her eyes were peeking through her hair, it dyed a blue color.

Her beckoning face is healthy like those young youthful kids, no facial problems existed. Although her slender body is perfect, she covered it by a maroon-colored robe that sways down to her knees, and beneath it was a white and black combination of clothes, her jet-black skirt was supported by a suspender, and the white long-sleeve swells at her chest. She reflected a fine image of a youthful maiden. 

<<Skill name: Steph’s Abyss skill>>

-If you look at the Abyss, the Abyss gazes back at you

34