Chapter 4: The meeting…
784 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The third daughter of the Reign Family, Stephany Reign.
Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Sunrise
At the cliffside of the silvering plateau, the silver spring. 

"HALT THIS AT ONCE, BROTHER DANTALIAN! SHE IS OUR MOTHER!"

The boy - Dantalian, stops his movement just before it could slit my neck, at the same time a magic circle was present at Dantalian's forehead. Although it may seem small, it consisted of 42 magic circles and 1473 words, all of it creating a violent flare but containing it to make him suffer before he faints from pain and dies from the fire. To describe it, it's like placing a burning metal rod at your flesh, it will melt your skin, but at a slower rate. The skin that has burned is animated slowly but the pain is still experienced at 1:1 ratio.

He retreats his sword to its sheath and makes a death stare. Dantalian was much taller than Jallian, making him look down on me. Despite his sister saying that I am their mom, he didn't believe her. No, almost as if he loathes his mom. As I thought, this plan has already failed once someone knew or disrupted this. I click my tongue inside my head, it was all going well until this fucker decides to jump in. 

He should be thankful that his sister stopped this situation before it got worse. Although, it may seem that I was about to lose my neck, a mage will not die from something like that. Losing all limbs, mages are still alive as long as their consciousness and mana is intact, they still have chances to regrow their body. However, losing one of the two will make a mage die.

"Do anything suspicious and I will cut your neck without question" Dantalian warned.

I take back my praise of him, being someone who could see the depths of my power and took on guard. But just seeing it and not even thinking about the depths of his actions, Dantalian is just doing his job to protect his sister. If not, he wouldn't threaten me like this. Though, it is true that I am not concealing my mana, it is just to see if an individual reacts to this unrival power in this world, I could then come to a conclusion that there is a mage in this world or not.

I didn't give a reply. Dantalian removed his gaze from me and turned around to tread heavily towards his sister, he was upset about something. Jallian tremble at the sight of her brother, her face had gone paler at every step that her brother makes. The expression that Jallain makes seems to have something behind it, almost as if a psychological reaction. 

When Dantalian got close to her, he raised his hands and smacked Jallain at her face with what he got. The sound like thunder echoed throughout the cliff, that forceful smack is not something that a brother should do. I wonder why he did that. No, shouldn't I be helping Jallian right now? As her fake mother? I couldn't process the events that just happened since it was such an unnatural thing to do.

"ARE YOU STILL AT IT?" Shouted Dantalian, "FATHER HAD ALREADY SAID HE KILLED OUR MOTHER, HE EVEN THREW HER REMAINS IN THE FIRE! YOU SHOULD ALREADY MEND THAT FACT IN YOUR MADE, DIP SHIT!"

Wow, is that something that a brother should do to his sister? But, as Dantalian said it. Their family is fucked up, how their child could still be sane when their father claimed that he killed their mother. Furthermore, should the empire really have that kind of emperor? I'm confused since I haven't seen such family relations, and they still are intact despite things happening.

Wait, didn't Jallian claim that their mother ran away and she had to come back to the empire to make up with the emperor. But then, Dantalian claimed that their mother already died in the hands of their father. Something about this doesn't add up, what you feel right now, I also feel that too. Confused and for the first time, unable to keep up with their talks.

"Princess Jallain! Don't let this imposter deceive you, this peasant wants to take our treasures! And we can't let that happen, not to mention it will taint our good name!" Dantalian said the truth.

Yeah, you should be. Dantalian had already seen my motives, but I should probably let him see my appearance so that he can confirm that it's me. Perhaps that act will make him believe, and all this problem is solved! But no, reasoning out why I will decline such risky acts. There would be questions like why their mother is present at the backside of the Reign? Not to mention, her brother is extremely cautious of me, so the probability of him trusting me is not far from zero. Furthermore, I may no longer live peacefully even when I run away when there is a bounty on my head. If it’s Jallain who was emotionally driven, then there were chances.

For a royalty putting a bounty on my head, surely, in the eyes of the mages that are observing the royalty. They will investigate the person-in-question, which is me. This reason only makes me not to act rashly. 

All of a sudden, I remembered that one of the books from the library claimed that the emperor is immortal. A new mage that has begun their training will make them learn how to manipulate one's mana, and such cases, they will eventually learn how to become immortal in age. Up until now, I believe it's a lie. But it can't hurt if I'll be super caution to him.

"Mother is powerful! You know that!" Jallian insisted desperately, tears swelling on her eyes, "There is no way that father can kill her! There is no such death to our mother and father! Their immortals that's why! Isn't that right, mother?"

Huh? Their mother is also immortal? Which means that their mother is also a mage! Am I really in a bad situation? But why would their mother run, I wonder? Though it might be a common internal conflict, it doesn't seem right since they are mages. I couldn't analyze the situation between two mages without another information or clue, not to mention, declaring them to be a mage might be too much already. But it doesn't hurt to be extremely cautious on him now.

"Yes" I replied.

But Dantalian also replied at the same and in a thunderous voice, "The emperor is almighty! He can kill his mother in a second, there's no way that mother can survive that!"

Eh? Wait a minute, they're fine having their mother killed? What kind of world is this? Is this something like a royalty does normally, yet not held treason because of it? I couldn't assume things with this information! I need more! 

Wait... Is it perhaps that the emperor is a mage and because of that, people can't do anything about it. Certainly, that sounds reasonable enough, since the people in this world only have 1 or 2 magics. But a mage doesn't have limits.

I was right. These childs are from the emperor, and perhaps, the emperor is an immortal being. The question still stands, should I continue my plan on getting something from them? If I can deceive Dantalian, I might do so. Even though I say so, I am anticipating for more information to make my plans to have no plot holes.

I'm definitely greedy... 

"That's not what I meant!" Jallian rebuked, her eyebrow curves down making a glare towards Dantalian "Mother is powerful! But she cannot kill someone that she loves! You already know that our mother is kind and loving!"

Tears struck in her eyes, ready to pour down as to engage a rageful cry. I continued to watch silently from behind, it's a fight between the royal family that has nothing to do with me, or is what I wanted to say. But knowing that I'm the fake mother, I should at least defend myself. Naturally, I still have plans to deceive Dantalian.

"How can you say that when you haven't even met her?" Dantalian rages "Don't make falsely base delusion! Mother left us when we were 3 years old! How could you possibly know?"

Left them? Is it because their mother died in the hands of their father, or does this mean Artermia ran away? Dear Dantalian, please make up your mind already and choose clearer words.

"Then don't you say that mother died because of father when you don't even know the truth!" Jallian replied "I went to my mother's room to see the portrait displayed of her! She has that silver hair and deep red eyes! Not only that I asked all the people inside the royal palace to know what mother is like! All of them are saying that she is kind-hearted, respectable and loving!"

Then why? Then why did she run away if everyone loved her? Why did she run away when there was not a shed of hatred towards her?" Dantalian raised his voice, it was not filled with rage sorrow" Why did she leave us alone? Do you know how lonely it was?"

So the conversation escalated towards that? Because of his words, Jallain cried even louder, and so as Dantalian, flowing on his cheeks was tears. Humans are extremely emotional beings, huh? 

"Throughout these years, Father is busy dealing with the Ornella kingdom, diplomatic relations overseas, and the internal issues of the empire. Even though it should be the empress job, the father took care of it, despite being busy with other problems.” With a sorrow expression displayed on Dantalian’s face, he uttered with a hoarse voice "Luckily for you, you have the crown princess's attention and love by the people of the Grand Duke Reigns Family! You have sincere friends who don't want you because of your position! But you, yourself! You can be with anyone because you have the lowest seat!"

Shedding a tear or two, he continued without minding his unsightly figure. "If only our mother was here, if only our mother hadn't run away to be mistaken as a traitor of the empire" His voice weakens by the end of his dialogue, so it seems his legs gave up and kneeled down. 

Despite that, he continued "I wish someone would spoil me, I wish someone would embrace me from my despair, not as the prince of this empire. But the boy who longs for someone. I am not fit to be a royal, if only I wasn't born a royal nor a noble, Not even someone as privilege, I just don't want to be lonely!"

Looking at the boy in despair, a light bulb appeared above my head. I had a secret plan for him, knowing that he is a type of person who wants to be loved, who wants to be spoiled and not be judged by every of his gestures. It gave me an idea to create a doll for him, someone that could reach his standards for his partner, and in that way, I could hold and play him in my hands. For Jallian's case, acting as her mother will be enough to make her wear a pet collar.

I was fortunate enough that the conversation went into this route, in this way, I could evaluate and take their weaknesses. Securing two royalties with one stone, and because of that, my future became clearer once again. That being said, should I also consider my family? The elder sister - Merry, is a hard one to crack. So it seems Linux as well. 

Daniel? I don't know what to do with that guy since he's a meat head to the bone. For Duke’s case, he seemed to change his personality and character recently, I might use this chance to take advantage. Other than that, there are only 2 notable people I could use. That is Freya and the first rate caster, Grey.

I don't know how influential Freya is, but it would only be a matter of time I could find it out. Same as Grey's situation, but seeing how my sister knows this individual, she might be an influential person as well. I only have to find out and take plans from there. Naturally, I still don't recognize Grey as a first-rate caster nor a hero caster. 

Wait a moment, did Dantalian just say ‘Grand duke Reign family’? If the prince himself stated so, it must be true. For all the years, I only knew that my family has a position of a duke, not a grand. However, knowing that our family has the position of Grand Duke, doesn’t change the present. 

Plans aside, I stealthily walked behind him and embraced him from behind. Surely, it must have surprised him because of my actions, but learning the emotions that derive from a man. A stranger to a stranger can be best friends in a single night, that's just how it is for a man depending on situations and personality. However, looking at the despair he displays, the chances of him pushing me away are low. That's just how this person is.

Throughout the years I was alive in my past life, I could know a person just by looking and having a conversation for a bit. But, incompressenhive and illogical ways that they move and what they want to do, always confuses me in every way. Making it more difficult for me to adapt their sudden behaviour changes. Just like how the duke suddenly changed. Though, sometimes I assume things incorrectly and make mistakes.

I'm not perfect, okay? Other than me, the mages that understands humans and other mages in the depths of their very soul, are the mages that manage and study in the [Administration site A-70 for unknown entities]. Since they learn the very fundamentals of a person or a being. I'm slightly regretting not having the time to study in that area now, since I thought to myself that I could gain the study by just experience itself. But I think it is different from learning and experiencing it in this matter. 

The administration site A-70 for unknown entities, are people who capture unknown entities that haven’t yet been discovered by humanity or ourselves, and professors in that area conduct experiments and learn them thoroughly. 

That aside, I moved my hands to his head and gently caressed it, laying my head down to his shoulder, sharing my warmth to him, that's what mothers usually do when their children are having troubles. 

I whispered, "It's okay, it's okay. Everything is going to be alright, mother is right here. I apologize for running away and in the future too. But I will soon return, it's just not the right time"

I played with dice, or is what you think. However, just like Jallian, at this point he is emotionally driven. You can take this advantage as long as they are still children. But if they were adults, that would be too difficult as they have a more mature mind and could think more and calmly. 

"AHHHM!" His loud cry escaped from his mouth without holding back, his tears flooded his eyes as it gently streamed down across his face "Mother! Is it really you? Are you really alive? " With his sobbing voice, he questioned.

"Yes, yes. it's really me, my dear" I replied back.

I was truly fortunate that this happened, but I should shut them up before they say a word about this incident that happened. Dantalian cried.

"It's really you!" His sobbing voice made his words unclear.

I ignored him and looked at Jallain. She was crying too, but not as terrible as earlier. She had a smile and a face of relief in her face. Though, this might not be the perfect situation to ask them since there's this mood, but I sense a disruption in the forest. This disturbance is alike to a human. Tsk! I'm running out of time!

"I am truly sorry, but I cannot return for now due to some circumstances. But wait for me okay? I have to settle things with the witch and some things, and after that, I will return!" I said cheerfully, "Also, I'm in a bit of trouble, so can I ask for your help?"

I used a reason from what Jallain said earlier, even though I don’t know what that witch that lived in the Altor forest. I used it for my convenience.

All of that was a lie for my act, of course. Pretending to be their mom, for now, I should be fine, or I thought happily. But, then came a thought I have to ponder deeply, why are they here in this place? Such an important people carelessly roaming around this place without bringing a single guard. I assume that they have matters with my father or my siblings. That being the case, I should be careful when going out, since I don't want them to spot me. I should change my jet-black robe to red later.

Moreover, the empress named Artermia is yet to be determined whether she is alive or not. Since both of them argued about it, yet there were no definite answers in the end. Of course, it would be a big problem if she suddenly returned out of nowhere, I would immediately be exposed. If Artermia is a mage, have found a way to go back in society and return to that place. Then it would be a win situation for me, but that's too big for just assuming it. 

Jallian wiped the tears that stuck on her eyes, and looked at me with a joyful face. 

"What is it?" she replied, slightly tilting her head.

I ignored Dantalian who was slowly recovering from his sobs, and said "My room... Do I have a place in the palace?"

Thanks to Jallian, I was able to determine and assume with confidence that Artermia has a room in the palace or not, since earlier in the conversation, she mentioned it. I anticipated Jallian's reply as I continued to caress the bluish hair which Dantalian has. It reminded me of Secrea, who was the main culprit of all this. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have to run in this place which then escalated to me meeting the royal family. 

"Yes, I am certain that father did not take down your crystal palace. But he forbids everyone from entering excluding for the royal family members" She answers, walking towards us while she let her bluish hair fluttered by the silent wind "The things inside remained the same after you had left" 

YES! This plan is successful! There are no problems if I take my things, right? Hippity Hoppity, Artermia's things, is now my property. Naturally, the problem of whether Artermia is alive or not, the emperor and the empress being a mage or not, still remained in my mind. 

I ignored Dantalian who was slowly recovering from his sobs, and said "My room... Do I have a place in the palace?"

Thanks to Jallian, I was able to determine and assume with confidence that Artermia has a room in the palace or not, since earlier in the conversation, she mentioned it. I anticipated Jallian's reply as I continued to caress the bluish hair which Dantalian has. It reminded me of Secrea, who was the main culprit of all this. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have to run in this place which then escalated to me meeting the royal family. 

"Yes, I am certain that father did not take down your crystal palace. But he forbids everyone from entering aside from the royal family members" She answers, walking towards us while she let her bluish hair fluttered by the silent wind "The things inside remained the same after you had left" 

When she said that, as though the edges of my lips curved up, forming a nasty smirk. It was as expected, and I calmly pursued that subject without showing suspicious actions.

"Then, could you gather all my books and scrolls? I need to find a way to revert back my appearance and fight the witch again." I said, taking all the speculation that came from Jallian. "I'll be waiting for your return this spring."

Jallain nodded at my words, "As you wish, your majesty" she slightly bowed forwards and put her fist in her hands. "I will accomplish it without fail"

 When I felt that the human I had detected was coming closer to us, I hurriedly finished the conversation. Certainly, the form of this disruption does not look like soldiers nor knights, but bandits. Worned out clothes, their weapons are not even alike to each other. Since usually, soldiers and knights have the same mass-produced swords and equipment. Because of that, I was able to determine that they are bandits.

Although they might not be knights nor soldiers, I was still in a limited time since I don't want to get into another mess. There are chances that both of them can get killed in this place, or be taken in for ransom for the empire, making my actions deemed unless. But that being said, they could be silenced of this meeting. Regardless of how Fate works, it is still my advantage. 

Taking a glance at Dantalian's sword, I hope it's not a show of pride for the royal family, but something that has been trained for years. Their survival depends on how good Dantalian is. I released him from my arms, and shifted my eyes to Jallian.

 "Also, will both of you keep this meeting our secret? My appearance right now is rather humiliating, and there are some chances that the witch will know about my location because of that"

Saying so, both of them nodded at my words. I was satisfied by the result, now all they have to do is to fight against the bandits without dying. Dantalian suddenly stood up and immediately clutched the hilt of his sword. Jallian reacted the same, she turned around behind her with a serious face. 

It would seem that they have noticed the bandits before their appearance, it only shows how trained they are. It would seem that I had underestimated them since I still don't understand what standards this world has. Since both of them put up their guard, there was no need for the bandits to hide and try to ambush the royalty, they revealed themselves in the lush bushes from the forest. 

They have numbered at least 17 bandits, they don’t have a bow or crossbows. Their swords clung up from their shoulders, waist, and at their back. The sounds of footsteps grew as they came near us.

“Bandits… How? With the Spirit Queen’s influence, those who deemed evil should never exist in the Grand dukedom’s territory” Jallian muttered something interesting.

She mentioned the name Spirit Queen’s influence, but I don’t know such a name. Is it a name claimed by a mage, I wonder? Or perhaps it might be something of a belief from the people

“Tsk! Nothing but pests!” Dantalian clicks his tongue. 

Saying so, 9 of the 17 bandits come into sight between the green vegetation. And the others were hiding behind the bushes and trees, I think Dantalian noticed them as well. He unsheathes his sword from its scabbard, the sharpness of its edges could not be compared, and reflects the shine of the sun.

”Oh!” A bandit let out a voice of surprise, he was carrying a dagger. “Someone invaded our bathing place, brother!” He reported.

“Not only that, these children are nobles!” a bandit beside him followed up “we can make a ransom to the nobles if we capture them!”

This bandit had his sword carelessly wave by his hand, showing no signs of triviality for carrying an iron sword with a sharp side, but has a dull other.

“Hey, hey! Before we do that, let’s have some fun with that lady!” A bandit with a bulky build yelled its desire. Looking closely, chains ran along his torso down to his waist, and leather scabbard for a two-handed sword was attached. He walks down the small wooden wharf, which only responds to tremors for how big he is.

“Tsk!” This time, it was Jallian that clicks her tongue.

And as if they synchronize their movements, Jallain slowly retreats towards us while Dantalian moves forward with his sword ready to strike, the blade pointed towards the bulky bandit.

“Shall I obliterate them using [crimson blaze]?” She asked, glancing at him.

“Don’t. You will destroy this place and the sacred Spirit Queen will be angry from our deeds” He replied. “I can handle them all”

Sacred Spirit Queen? Hearing that name twice makes me feel that is not a belief of some sort. Knowing that the person who saw through my lies and disguised, said it in a way with confident manner. 

 It piqued my interest in his reply, however, we are not in the correct place to discuss it. Or maybe, it is something that Artermia already knows. Anyways, I cleared my thoughts and focused on the bandits. If it was only me at present, I would have ended this in a silent and easy way. However, these children get in the way of making it happen.

I don’t know what Artermia’s power is, so I won’t randomly use magic, since they may notice I am not their mother. I couldn’t do anything but to spectate Dantalian, he dashed forward to the bulky bandit in an instant, and his sword followed up a swing towards the sky.

The bulky bandit was dumbfounded by the boy’s swordsmanship, which delayed his reaction and barely avoided a deep cut on his jaw. The blood inside his skin traced the outline of the clean wound.

The bulky bandit reached for his sword and wanted to step-back before striking. However, his center of balance was disoriented by his early panic step-back, causing his body to fall. Dantalian took this opportunity, he stepped forward while flipping his wrist to strike downwards. From his head, down to the fresh wound, and exited from his crotch, Dantalian’s blade nonchalantly sliced the bandit in half as if it ignored the resistance of the armor and bones. 

Fresh blood gushes out violently to the air, it splatters all around the surroundings without consent until it slowly dyes the spring and taints the wooden pathway, not only that, it also drenches Dantalian’s black jacket. But he did not mind it, nor his sister who is quivering from fear. However, Jallian has no rights to stop Dantalian, since it was only meant to protect them.

After a brief second when the bulky body fell to the wooden ground, Dantalian immediately dashes to a nearby bandit, and thrust his sword to the bandit’s neck, it pierced through the other side. The bandit’s face cast horror and pained expression, clearly showing the unimaginable pain before blacking out. His eyes turned white, tears fell and blood rushes out from his mouth.

Dantalian kicks the newly corpse without care. More and more bandits were showing from the forest, their faces full of remorse, hatred, and fear. Their feelings may have mixed, but all of their objectives were the same, to take revenge for their fallen leader. 

“TAKE HIM OUT!” someone from the bandits shouted, it echoed throughout the place.

Dantalian did not take a rest and lunch himself towards the bandits. Dantalian gives them the meaning of death.

…’

…’

…’

…’

Before long, the battle ended with the victory at Dantalian’s side. However, he could not forgive himself that he let the other three bandits escape. He sat at the corpse while he was supported by his sword, which pierced to the ground.

He could only feel the pain and exhaustion spread like wildfire throughout his body, and his ears were preoccupied with the heavy breathing from his mouth. His gaze cast towards the ground dyed in fresh blood. Fortunately, he won the fight with only bruises and some shallow cuts at his arms.

And then, he noticed a presence coming towards him. He laid his eyes on it and saw his sister coming towards him. Although, his mother - Artermia, which was supposed to be behind her, was now gone. He could only assume that his sister did not notice her, yet again, sudden disappearance. 

His vision went blurry until it became black.

Part 2

The new mistress of the Reign Family, Lesly Brothen Grawford.
Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Before noon.
Grey’s room. (Continuation after Grey fainted from stressed)

“Shall we return now?” Lesly kindly ask the maid, which is currently covering Grey with a thick white blanket, it spreads perfectly to the rim of the bed.

The maid turns around, the black frilly skirt flutters even without the presence of the air inside the room and returns a reply after looking at Lesly. The so-called perfect maid that every chief of servants wants, however, as gentle and elegant as her movement is, her always-glaring-face was always the problem. With only her eyes, she gave off that angry strict impression.

“Yes” Her eyebrow cast downwards, glaring at the mistress.

Lesly twitches slightly but returns a wry smile at the end. She knew that the maid – Rachael Ledhiem does not intend to glare at her, nor the hatred is born deep in her. She turns around the door and slowly made her way outside

After returning the fainted Grey to her room, Lesly knew it was the time for lunch , and wanted to invite her step-children. However, the pathway of the corridors stops her from going towards the open training ground. She was still new on this manor and does not know the way around it. Asking the maid behind her was embarrassing to do since she is the new mistress, she does not want to ruin her image.

Lesly looks to the right, only a long corridor was spotted. Looking at the left, it was still the same.

‘Yup, I don’t know which is which’ Lesly confirmed it inside her head.

The rays of light from the windows entered the long corridor, and dust that usually flies around in every house can only be imagined. This is how clean the manor was, and it is all thanks to the servants that work very hard for it.

“Is there something bothering you?” Rachael nonchalantly threw a question to her mistress, since she was looking weird and was troubled by something.

Rachael was worried that some parts of the corridor had yet to be clean or not fit the eyes of the mistress. It only created a misunderstanding between two individuals that were not on the same page. Of course, Rachael’s eyes did not lie. But Lesly replied a lie just to evade the embarrassment.

“No! No!” Lesly refused quickly. “I was just thinking how clean it was”

Even though Lesly is royalty from another imperial kingdom, she couldn’t help but notice the work of others. The painting of Jeanne and Yardros was simply amazing, in fact, it was made from the servants of the Reign Family, and knowing that fact, she couldn’t wait to be painted too. 

“Anyhow!” Lesly added “Let us proceed!” She took a gamble and walked to the left side, completely the opposite side where she got before.

‘Let’s do this!’ Lesly motivated herself to take every clue to find where she must go. ‘Since looking at the outside of the window, it leads to the outside where the garden is, and just after the wall is a cliff. This only means that this is the back of the manor! I could get to the open training ground by using the pathway outside!”

She uses her full analytical ability as she walks down the long corridor. She was feeling uneasy since the maid might have judged her, and she does not want to turn around to seek her current expression. However, that was not the case for Rachael, she was lost in her thoughts since her Master Alusu said something to her earlier, moreover, to be praised by the mistress herself was a simply amazing feat to achieve. She felt proud for the servants that cleaned this area.

Perhaps it was her noble pride to know everything and dislikes to ask answers, yet seek for the answer herself.

‘Though the only problem is’ She continues her thoughts without pause, no doubt that she is lost in her thoughts too. ‘How am I supposed to get to the ground floor?’ 

However, that question was answered when the stairs going downward was at sight. She felt relief and her worries were now gone, and since the office was at the right side of the mansion, it concluded that the open training ground was at that side. She walks happily while humming an unknown song, Rachael did not mind it and listens to the soothing lullaby.

As the silence between them continued, both of them descended the stairs. The only problem now for Lesly was how to get outside, however, it was also answered when they got to the ground floor. The stairs connected to the corridor with no known end for Lesly, and just across the stairs was a door that leads outside. Lesly was feeling lucky today.

Without question, she opened the double door and proceeded outside. The heat from the outside of the manor entered without consent and flooded her body to the brim with hot. Unlike inside the mansion, it was cool and warm. She hesitated to go outside since she does not want to greet her step-children with the smell of sweat. 

With the thought of her children comes to mind, she steps forward to continue. She notices the colorful garden that comes with numerous clustered flowers, the sweet aroma dances inside her nostrils, it is a pleasant smell and a sight that takes away problems and stress in an instant. She walks forward, completely forgetting about her plans.

A gravel pathway in the middle of the garden leads to an old building, Lesly could only assume that it is an observatory building to see the foes at long sight distance, however, it was too dirty even though it’s just a tower. Not only that, its exterior appearance was that of an abandoned building. It is unlikely to be maintained for years, it was like the servants only focus on the main mansion.

Its existence was standing out in the garden, she couldn’t help but gaze at it. Rachael showed no concern about her mistress’s behavior and silently waited for her mistress behind. Lesly continued to gaze at it without moving towards it, she simply stood after feeling the rocky gravel prickling underneath her scandals.

It was at that moment when a dark-colored robe suddenly appeared just before the entrance of the old building. Lesly was taken by surprise by how that robe appeared in thin air, and at the same time, Rachael was too but felt disappointed in herself. She could not detect that human in a robe and almost put her mistress into danger. 

Additionally, Lesly assumed it was only a robe, however, the robe took the form of the outlines of a human.

“Mistress Lesly, please await here” Rachael demanded and steps forward, with as usual glaring.

When the human comes to the door and peeks inside the old building, Rachael closes her distance between the human in an instant by crossing the garden like stepping stones. Stepping atop the petals yet did not ruin its natural beauty, but at the same time, a shadow that almost covered the entire garden followed. At Lesly’s sight, she could see the flowers became corroded but soon returned to their normal state when the shadow came at Rachael’s right hand.

It consumed Rachael’s right hand, and by the time she stepped on the other side of the garden. Her right hand was indulged with endless dark, and her fingers were embodied with pure black while its tip was sharp as double swords. It fell down to the gravel, and smokes were coming from black hands.

“Who are you? And what are you doing in this place!” Rachael shouted, suitable for her always-glaring-eyes.

The human covered in full robe turns around in a flustered manner, yet the robe was too long for its height and mass, it looks like he wore an adult size robe. The human fell inside the old library and dust covered the entire area, while they were busy doing so, Lesly pursued them by crossing the gravel pathway. 

Rachael took this chance, and dashed to the fallen human. Her fingers sliced its way on the gravel, leaving a noticeable trace, but she ignored that fact and came in front of the human to stop his further movements. And before even the dust could clear up, Rachael’s sharp fingers stopped before the human’s neck.

“I’m asking you once more!” Rachael repeated and showed no concerns about the dust. “Who are you? And what are you doing in this place?”

“Wait!” Lesly’s cry did not reach Rachael’s ear.

There was still no response from the human, but Rachael could feel its light presence in front of her. While Lesly crossed the garden, the dust almost cleared up, and the appearance of a fragile girl came to their sight. Yet again, Rachael was taken by surprise with the fear coming up to her spine. Even Lesly, she could see what was happening, 

The human was covered in full robe, yet the hoodie had fallen. Its silver hair casts down while carefully reflecting the light of the sun. Even though a dust storm happened earlier, there was no speck of dust seen on her hair, from the roots down to the end. Long eyelashes atop her round eyes, the deep red pupils almost look like fresh blood, it gazes at Rachael. Her emotionless face came with the very definition of beauty, and that alone was able to make Rachael recognize this girl.

She – Stephany Reign, the third daughter of the Grand Duke Reign family, and the unwanted child of the demon. Even though she is disliked by everyone in the mansion because of her cursed appearance, she still has power. The lowest power only on her family, which she is able to move around the vacant servants the way she desires it, whether that vacant servant has a high position in terms of their job. Her face did not change even though a deadly weapon was at her neck.

Was it because she has an emotionless face, she does not feel fear? Or does she? But does not show it. Stephany’s pupils slowly move downward on Rachael's finger without movements of her head. In response, Rachael wanted to retract it and apologize. But her surprise delayed her actions. Stephany shuts her eyes tight, showing that she is likely scared.    

“I Apolo---!?” When Rachael was about to apologize while retracting her magic, Stephany cut in. 

“Are you seriously trying to kill me?” She threw a question as she opened her eyes, and for a split second, she displayed a smirk expression.

Her speech made Rachael feel her body goosebumps all over, it is as if she was conscious about her entire body, the sweat that ran along her skin, she could feel it. When Rachael’s yellow eyes were swept by Stephany’s deep red eyes, she suddenly shivered and trembled like there was no tomorrow. From her head, down her toes, she felt goosebumps all over, again and again, as if the previous one was overlapping. Waves of endless cold strike the air, making it so silent and dead or it was for Rachael, she was not able to hear the calming breeze sweeping the garden. Moreover, Rachael’s body was held tightly by something, hence making her immobile. 

“Are you perhaps ruining my peace?” yet again, she threw a question, not too loud nor a whisper. However, this time it did not reach Rachael’s ear for it was too silent for her. 

‘Well, it’s my fault for not noticing there were people nearby here’ Steph retorted to herself.

She wanted to silent the maid – or she looks like, assuming on her clothes. But another noble was present behind and just looking at her appearance, she is likely another high-noble. Maybe the current queen of the empire, or another child of the emperor perhaps? 

Could not kill the maid, Stephany should at least punish her, she uses her [frozen] ability. The calm atmosphere between them became dread as if an unexpected storm was about to land, moreover, this silence cast the cold and spread quickly onto the surroundings. The wooden floor glittered, and snowflakes tampered its texture and pattern. The stone, the hairy grass, and the gravel – they were no exception, even the front exterior of the library, all became frozen.

On the part of the entrance, a sharp icicle and pointed at the maid. Furthermore, some became the obstruction of her escape, the icicles surrounded her in a blink of an eye.

“Hic!” A delayed shriek came from Rachael’s mouth as she noticed her feet were frozen.

The sharp icicles from below and above pointed at a single target, and it was Rachael. She was unlikely to be able to escape, and with this, Stephany was pleased. If this maid spread this horrendous experience, the other may find it hard to approach Stephany, or close to impossible. 

She counted the future that will come with no displeasure with the servants, she did not care if her reputation got worse, nor will she ever be. But now, she considers that she is likely to be exiled by her father.

Rachael found herself in a terrible situation, if it continues the way it is. Rachael will not be able to see herself serving the lord she wanted. All the years she climbed through the ranks in the military during the demon king’s subjugation, and transferred to be Princess Lesly’s chamberlain, who will soon marry the Grand duke Alusu Reign.

That being said, Rachael, for all of her life, she wanted to serve the hero and nothing more. Perhaps she desires for a powerful master to serve with loyalty. However, the thought of serving the emperor didn’t come to her mind, as for the emperor didn’t even come to the battlefield as he was too busy with his empire and imperial state.

“I apologize!” Rachael did not lose herself in fear and was able to reply to the angered lady.

Rachael had heard about the existence of the third daughter of the Reign family through the rumors that she was a demon and an emotionless child. Nothing comes good from the newly maids assigned to her, because all those maids had gone missing. Master Alusu had taken countermeasures and had the guards search for them, however, the results showed none from his efforts.

And aside from rumors, all about Stephany Reign is unknown. Though young lady Freya talks a lot of the Lady Stephany, all of them were the opposite of those rumors. They were songs of praises for Lady Stephany, hence it was ignored by everyone.

“Oh no!” Lesly lamented as she arrived at the scene where Rachael bows her head, since everything, her arms, her torso, and her legs, were stuck between many of the icicles. Fortunately, it seems that none of it has made a wound on Rachael’s body.

Lesly ran to her step-child, but the other party responded to a slight confusion using body movements. Lesly ignored it while still considering Lady Stephany’s feelings, and almost instinctively, she hugs her step-daughter tightly. Lesly knew what Stephany had been through, and felt pity for her despite her cursed appearance.

“it’s okay, it’s okay” Lesly repeated those words with a soothing voice.

She embraces her step-daughter like any mother would have done, and she continued that motherly action she has.

“No one will harm you anymore, no one will wish you never existed” She spouted words to the fragile girl within her embrace.

Of course, taking into account that Stephany rarely steps out of the library, it wouldn't be weird if she does not know kinds of stuff like love. Moreover, Stephany was treated as a nonexistent person in the household, it would be weird if she does not act how a child would, nor have that rebellious behavior. She might not know what love is nor considering the other party’s feelings, even what common sense is, or how the world works.

Stephany, despite the fact that she is a cursed child with numerous terrible rumors, Lesly embraces her with pure love and wholehearted gentleness.

‘WHAT!? WHAT IS SHE DOING!?’ Stephany’s mind was full of questions that made her mind go blank. She couldn’t accurately trace the reason why the stranger in front of her, suddenly hugging her and even showing kindness. 

She hasn’t met Lesly before, and despite that, she was hugged tightly. Of course, it was natural to feel uncomfortable towards the person who you haven’t met before, but still, her face did not react. She wanted to question the person who was doing rude actions. Since this was the first meeting, it wouldn’t be strange that they don’t know each other, but it was just a case for Stephany.

“Who are you? For a person no less than a stranger to me, hugging me without permission, are you not rude for a lady such as yourself” Stephany’s nonchalant tone, up until now, changed, its voice pierces the warm atmosphere and brings it down to cold.

It wasn’t low as a whisper, nor too loud as a shout, it was just at a medium volume with a normal question. However, Lesly shivers unconsciously, and the strength on her arms becomes weak as if her physical strength ran away, fearing something… Even Rachael who was currently out of the world with the frightening fear prickling her soul, returned to Liettera from Stephany’s voice.

There wasn't any intimidation whatsoever, but they felt like they were before a person with the supreme position. Unlike the emperor or Lesly’s father, Stephany is a person who cannot be regarded due to position but the way she is. Disregarding all social status and positions, it felt like Stephany was above them. However, even if social status and position is regarded in the table, it felt like Stephany won’t lose either of them. 

Furthermore, it felt weird that a child like her behaves like an adult. Her tone is similar to a domineering and strict noble, but it felt natural as if only pointing mistakes and correcting them in a professional way, so that the incident will not happen again in the future.

When Stephany notices that the stranger’s arms no longer have strength to restraint her, Stephany pushes Lesly away and falls to the ground. She asks once more.

“Won’t you tell me your name any time soon? Dressed like a noble, but has nothing in regards for proper manners. Are you not raised properly?” Gazing at the paralyze human before her.

It was a simple question, yet both were not able to answer. Lesly was frightened to the bone, she never experienced this feeling before. For Rachael’s case, she has yet again experienced what near-death is, just like in the battlefield. However, there was something unnatural feeling lingering inside her, something that she can’t explain properly.

When Lesly’s gaze turned over to Stephany’s deep blood eyes, she could see that there was no shine within, the very soul every human possesses. Stephany’s eyes were empty as if she saw nothing from this vivid world of Liettera.

Even at that time when Lesly embraces Stephany, she could only feel the coldness on her skin like every corpse possesses.

21