Chapter 72:The greatest union of fire and water
526 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Samuel came back to the hut armed with an incredible amount of knowledge on demons for someone who only spent less than an afternoon on them.  

What he came to was not something he expected, however. The woman for whom he did his research was most possibly not even a demon anymore. For one, he could use his soul sight on her which was new. Another, she was made of pure fire and ice essence. Finally and probably the most damning piece of evidence, he was tethered to him similar to how Elizabeth was. 

Demons were immune to the well-known binding that forever tied master and disciple. Curiously, because the exact origins of the cauldron technique are shrouded in mystery, many theorize it was something gotten from the infernal lords to imitate the 'contracts' demons often engage in. 

If his memory had not failed him, the woman was still a demon when he had left just oversaturated with his essence and he now knew that something like that was of no major consequence. If the process did not outright kill the demon, absorbing essence would not cripple them in any way.

"Hi. I... am supposed to be your disciple or something... I guess..."

Her soul was roiling in uncertainty and apprehension. Very similar to when Elizabeth first joined him and he found something off about it. Samuel was so used to discerning things with soul sight that he had  

"What do you mean you guess." Samuel's tone was harsh. While he was still committed to his disciple, it did not change the fact that she had deliberately tried to hide information from him.

He could understand the reason but that did not absolve her of her wrong-doing. So he injected no more than a grain's worth of essence into his presence to add a bit of oppression.

Eishath met his eyes but he could see the fear in them, mirrored very well to her soul.

"I do not remember anything before waking up! Like at all! I woke up and a spirit told me stuff and here I am! Like I was evil and was reborn and stuff! I swear that is all I know!" She started blurting out her guts without much more prompt

There was apprehension, fear, and a host of other emotions swirling inside her soul. But what he did not find was deceit, not even a trace of it. It made Samuel a tad guilty about his aggressive stance.

Shoving all the extra bits and bobs of her statement to the side for a bit he allowed his presence to taper out to nothing, while it made for an effective strategy to scare weaker foes and misbehaving miscreants. Eishath was currently neither. 

He instead decided to take a softer approach and put a soft comforting hand on top of her head. 

The touch was electric and the profound nature of it nearly brought him to his knees.

A feeling of harmony and unity, unlike anything he had ever felt before rushed through his body. 

Fire and water were opposites, practitioners of fire were generally bad with water and vice versa. Even though he had talent in both essence variants it was not until the mythical Twin Star and its reality-bending properties that he could practice both in harmony without friction in his own essence circuits. 

Eishath somehow took it a step beyond that. While he were clearly two different essences meshed together using the glue that was the Twin Stars and to a lesser extent seed of fire and ice. However, they were still separate essences with separate properties.

Hers was a true union, a perfect balance, one essence not a combination of two.

But here was the kicker, when essence merged like this they transformed it into something else. The most well-known of these was life essence with was the combination of all base elemental essences, merged to become something new entirely.  This made it lose the properties of its merged parts for new ones. Life essence, for example, had universal healing, regenerative, and growth-based properties while losing all of the effects of its bases. 

Hers, however, was one essence with the properties of all its constituent parts. Flames that could make things wet. Water that could burn. An explosion that released no heat. A fluid that had no mass.

Samuel could not even begin to describe the paradoxical nature of her existence. The anomaly in creation she appeared to be. 

The greatest thing he prided on was his comprehension ability, he could piece together the mysteries of existence very quickly. Although he was not one to boast, his understanding of the five base essences was second to none. So much so, that it took him only days to create a training regime despite him having never practiced it even once in his life.

His greatest pride was shattered as he simply could not compute the magnificence that was on display.

The being in front of him made fire and water the same essence. The greatest union, one that to this day has only been theorized by the greatest cultivators and scholars of the known realms.

Samuel read all the papers on all essences and one of the greatest myths of his time was that if one could fuse all essences and keep all of their base properties, one could make an essence that superseded even divine essence. An essence that exists solely to empower all other essences to godlike proportions.

That, however, was a myth that had never been proven. Until now. It may not be the 'One Essence' madmen keep spouting in their crazed ravings but it was proof that such a thing was possible. 

A single tear dropped from the corner of his eyes as he reveled in something he had not felt in a long long time. The joy of incomprehension. 

Another small crack appeared in his soul imperceptible to even Samuel's powerful senses.

 

13