Years Later
2.4k 8 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up in a cold sweat, my eyes snapping open with the nightmare still fresh in my mind. Shooting into a sitting position, I look around frantically. My eyes see only my blue bedroom, which is pretty bare. Other than the bed, there’s only a wooden desk with a mirror hanging above it, and a black furry carpet covering the wooden floor.

I heave a sigh of relief. Just a nightmare. It was just a nightmare. You aren’t there anymore. You don’t have to-have to see anymore.

I shake off the lingering panic from my nightmare, from my memories. Getting out of bed, I stretch my arms above me, arching my back as my tail stiffens along with the motion.

Grabbing a towel from my closet, I start to head to the shower. Before I open the door though, I pause. I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Mask on.

When I open the door, instead of my previous apathetic expression, I now sport a bright smile, my eyes practically sparkling. I bounce down the hallway, my ears flickering as I listen to the noises that make up the morning in the household.

In the kitchen, I can hear Pearl working on breakfast, and in their bedroom I hear Paul getting dressed. Even knowing that neither of them will see me, I keep the fake expression on. After all, I don’t want to start any bad habits when I’m out in public. People are far less likely to suspect the perky girl of anything as opposed to the gloomy morose girl.

I step into the bathroom, quickly stripping my pajamas and turning on the shower. I know that Japan’s culture says that baths reign supreme, but showers are one of the few things I can still do that my mother taught me.

While I wait for it to heat up, I examine myself in the mirror. Slim body, ok-ish breasts at a B-cup, and slightly tanned skin. My black hair reaches down between my shoulder blades, and its color matches the two cat ears on top of my head, as well as the tail extending from just above my ass.

Testing the water and finding it good enough, I get in. I dig some shampoo and conditioner into my hair, being careful not to use so much that it bubbles and gets in my ears. After that I dig both products into my tail, closing my eyes as I enjoy the sensation. Once it’s lathered up to an acceptable degree I scrub myself down with soap, letting the hair products soak into my hair and tail as I do.

Once I wash everything out I dry my hair before wrapping the towel around me. My ears twitch at a sound in the hallway and I sigh in irritation. Since I already turned the water off it’s not like I can pretend that I’m still busy in here. Fixing my ‘perky’ expression back on, I open the door and walk out.

There I narrowly avoid a collision with Paul, who’s reflexively placed his hands in front of him to soften the impact.

At least that’s what he’d say if anyone asked.

“Ah, Catia. I didn’t see you there. How, ah, are you?” His gaze travels over my body and I have to suppress a shudder. The monkey-like man has a third eye on his forehead that stares at my covered chest, its inability to blink making it extra creepy. Of course I don’t let my revulsion show.

“I’m feeling good, Paul! I had a bad dream, but a shower is just what I needed to start the day off right!” I pump the hand not holding my towel in the air to show my enthusiasm. His eyes flash back down to my chest as I do, probably hoping to see a bit of a bounce.

He’s disappointed though and I quickly make my way to my room., muttering excuses. “Welp, I’ve got to get ready for school, you know how it is. See you at breakfast!” I give a little wave as I close my door, ignoring his downcast expression.

Fucking perv. I’m thirteen, not to mention you’re supposed to be my adoptive ‘father’. I can’t help but sneer at the thought. ‘Father’, hah! I haven’t considered the people here family since I moved in with them back when I was six, though Pearl does her best. I simply can’t think of her as ‘mother’.

I’m not sure on the details, but for whatever reason it was decided that I would live in Japan after my mother’s death. Since I was six and grieving at the time, I couldn’t really say anything about it. Though I do have complaints on how they chose the family I would stay with.

Seriously, just because they’re foreigners and have anthropomorphic quirks doesn't mean that you should give them a child!

I let out a sigh, releasing old frustrations at the same time. After drying off, and making sure to pay extra attention to my tail, I get dressed in my school uniform. I go to Matsubara Junior High. I do well in school, no reason not to after all. I’m fairly popular, though none of them know the ‘real’ me and only know ‘perky’ Catia.

Now dressed, I flounce downstairs with my schoolbag flapping in my hand. There I see Pearl, a tall and skinny woman with a big whale head, serving a breakfast of eggs and rice. Seeing the food, I plop down and dig in. Honestly, if she wasn’t such a good cook I probably would have run away a long time ago. She’s much better than Paul to be around.

Looking around the room, I thankfully don’t see said perv, and focusing on my ears reveals that I can’t hear him in the house either. He probably went to work already. Lucky for me since I don’t have to see him. It’s not that he’s ugly or anything. He’s just a creepy perv.

I quickly wolf down my food and follow it up by draining my glass of water. Then get up to wash my dishes but Pearl stops me.

“It’s ok, I know that you were planning to meet up with your friend before school. So go and have fun! Just remember not to do anything I wouldn’t do.”

I can’t help but snort at that. Based on what she told me she was like growing up, you could probably list what she didn’t do on one hand! Seriously, destroying your prom with a guy who has a sponge quirk? How does that even happen!? Seeing my amused expression, she shoos me away. “Just try and stay out of trouble.”

“You know I will Pearl.” My grin grows a little darker as I turn away. After all, you won’t be in trouble as long as you aren’t caught.

I make my way to the school, ignoring some of the stares I get as I walk. Sure, anthropomorphic quirks aren’t really rare, but ones that don’t completely change your body are on the scarcer side. So most people assume that my ears and tail are just cosplay, but when someone tries to touch them they’re quick to find out that I have claws too.

On the way, I’m stopped by some little old woman hunched over. “Excuse me dearie, can you point me to a tomato stand?”

I nod, pulling out my phone and clicking on the map. I point at a spot not far from my school. “Sure, if you go there you can get some good ones for no more than four.”

“Four hundred yen!? What a steal!” The old woman starts hobbling off faster than you would think based on her appearance.

Shaking my head at the encounter, I finish my walk to school.

111