Chapter 14 | Repentance
994 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jonas stood on the deck overlooking the people of the harbor running around in preparation for what they assumed was an offensive. They moved around like ants, hurrying to accomplish whatever they were assigned. He found it disconcerting to look at them in this way, but it was oddly fitting. Especially since he found out that Clay could simply blast the entire place to smithereens. 

A trivial task to the mage. 

But, to Jonas, it meant more. The cold callousness and disregard for life he saw in those dead grey eyes shook him to the core. He had seen them before, witnessed as they took life without a second hesitation. And as the naive boy he was, he could do nothing but gape at what had happened. 

He knew he wanted to stop what his brother had done, but his body froze as the Marquis’s daughter screamed and begged for her life. His legs had felt weak, nothing more than rags as he fell to his bottom shaking. Only regaining his senses after the deed was done and she was bleeding out. 

Jonas tried to help, or so he consoled himself every day. He tried to stop the bleeding, preserve her life until someone could save her. Screaming at the top of his lungs for help, but that only lead to the situation he was in. He couldn’t even make land, nevermind inherit his rightful position. 

He let out a shaky breath. Focusing on the voices from the harbor was what kept him sane in these moments. The sounds of their preparations, in tandem with those of the knights two levels above them-right in front of the city of Petrous-and even long range weapons from the city itself. 

It was an amalgamation of noise he couldn’t fully understand piece by piece. But he didn’t need to. It was obvious what they were screaming about. 

It was with deathly silence did Jonas’s fleet move forward within the range of the enemy’s cannons. No one spoke a word as they stood in formation. They did not move, not even in response to the swaying of the vessels. Like statues armored in black, red, and gold. 

The HardenedShield-the five hundred mercenaries he had swear absolute loyalty to him-had separated into five groups of a hundred each. They were not informed of what was meant to happen, so they were clearly unnerved at this suicidal push towards land. From their perspective, he was outmanned, underweaponed, outclassed, and in a disadvantageous position. 

The odds were not in their favor to survive, much less make a true living off of fighting for him. 

But, that was okay, Jonas thought. They’d learn soon enough what was going to happen, let them be in awe just like everyone else. Maybe they will learn something about not ever betraying him. 

The first shots of the pirates mana cannons reverberated in the air, but they each missed their marks. The fleet was still at the edges of their reach making the cannons nothing more than a weak deterrent. 

Regardless, they slowly moved forward. Ignoring the numerous cannons that fired in a staggard formation. One shot while the other reloaded keeping an endless stream of fire barring down at them. 

It took a good ten minutes to move into a position where the cannons started hitting their marks, but they caused no damage. Large transparent sky blue barriers lit up in front of each ship. The largest was on his flagship, taking the brunt of the concentrated blasts of mana, it had to be able to withstand the worst of the lot. 

Without pause they kept their pace, unhurried to cause demise. It had gotten to the point were even the walls of Petrous were firing at them with much larger cannons that still made it that far even though the wind fought against them. The blasts from them were much larger, but were not enough to break down the Leviathan's barrier. 

He couldn’t be called an emperor of the sea if his ship was blasted off the face of the earth with such measly fire. They would need more, much much more. 

Stopping half way, Jonas ordered his men to pull out the massive flags and banners. A statement to who they were fighting against. A name they would not soon forget. That was something he and his honor guard had promised. For an insult to their liege was one to themselves. And they will not take one laying down. 

The flags cracked and whipped at the wind. Their noise almost drowned out the sounds of the distant cannons and their explosions on the barriers. 

Jonas took a breath. He turned to see his guards standing in line behind him. Each carried serious expressions as they prepared mentally for battle, even though it was not meant to come. All except Clay who had nothing more than an indifferent expression. Their eyes met, Jonas was not willing to break the stare. 

“Must we continue with all the theatrics?” Clay said, breaking eye contact first. “It’s such a bore. This is all meant for dragons and elves. We are neither. Let me teach them a lesson in their station in the hierarchy of life then be on our way. I...have a meeting, it seems with an old hag on the other harbor.”

Jonas frowned. He did not respond. Instead he turned to Huemara and nodded. 

Hue stepped forward without a smile on his face. Hands behind his back-making his gut that more pronounced-he surveyed the pirates, mercenaries, and knights. He found them lacking.

Huffing, he sneered before he snapped a finger. 

A wave of energy passed by Jonas and his fleet all the way to the very city of Petrous. It left everyone silent. The cannons were not firing anymore and the men on the harbor’s multiple levels stopped what they were doing. Hue’s energy was a call to attention.

With a voice that echoed throughout the entire area, he spoke to them:

“Men and women of Petrous and its...affiliates,” he paused until he was sure everyone had given him their undivided attention. “You have chosen the wrong path forward. For there is no light at the end of the tunnel, no hopeful future to hang on dear to. You have erred beyond recompense and as such you deserve death without recourse. And it is death you shall have...if not for the mercy of our liege. 

His benevolence is beyond your mortal scope. For he has chosen to give you a chance at repentance and the time to digest what mistakes you have made these past days. Death will not come to you yet, but if you have not learned by the time we return-then you only have yourselves to blame. Before we depart, we will leave you with a warning and a matter of possibility. A lesson in what we are capable of.”

9