Chapter 24 | Throne Room
793 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the failure of a parade, as far as Jonas was concerned, the group moved to the throne room. It was a massive hall that could fit more than five hundred people shoulder to shoulder. The throne itself replicated the gargantuan size, while it comfortly fit one person, the back and decorations made it look as large as a small building.

 

With vines made of stone curling all around it, the thing was as difficult to reach as anything in the area. It was nigh impossible to walk straight towards it. Jonas himself, sitting on it now, had to literally put a drop of blood on it for the vines to open up enough for him to enter. It closed right back around him keeping enough space looking out to survey the entire hall.

 

That was not mentioning how the chair itself was made of gems and crystal that probably cost about an eight of his entire fleet. He didn’t understand why anyone would in the right mind, spend that much money on a glorified chair. The could have funded their entire economy for a good month with how much it cost.

 

But, that was until he actually sat on it. 

 

The second he did, he felt a wave of energy originate from his seat covering the entire city and kilometers beyond it. For a good moment, he knew exactly were every large group of people existed in the entire vicinity and what they were doing in that moment. 

 

Then it was gone. 

 

All that was left was what felt like the throne speaking to him. How it had been left untouched for decades without a true ruler. Someone that actually had the right to be seated upon it. And with the royal decree, his lineage, and his position of power, it had accepted him. 

 

Jonas took a deep breath, doing his best to keep his calm in front of all the men and woman who came to attend this event. He hadn’t been told what would happen, not from Frezar nor Ash—who he knew full well that they had known before hand, especially with how happy they looked now—and not from the highest powers of PennyHarbor, the two generals and the portmaster.

 

Cheers broke out as the vines slowly lowered themselves to cover only three feet of the ground in a large circle around the throne. Everyone could see Jonas sitting there without any adverse effects. Cheers broke out from most of the people there.

 

Everyone except those with painted faces.

 

Now that he thought about it, there was a small portion of the knights, mages, and commanders who had covered their faces with powder. They were only a tiny percentage of all the people here, but even one general—the most important one between them all—covered his face with the white substance. 

 

Why? What significance did it have? Thari covered his face with it too, does that mean they were going to attempt to rebel against him? If he doesn’t find out, he may regret not doing his research. 

 

Know your enemy, Sun Tzu. Who was that again? Some general he read about, right?

 

“He survived! All Hail the Father! All Hail the Father!” The second general, a clear faced man with short stature. He walked with so much confidence, Jonas subconsciously respected him for it.

 

Wait…

 

Jonas froze on his throne. Survive? He hadn’t agreed to anything he had a chance of not surviving! He turned back to look at Frezar, but only got an encouraging smile back.

 

He couldn’t do anything but sigh. They were so going to have a long talk about this later today. For now, he needed to know why this apparent rift in unity existed. He couldn’t have the nobles and highest brass of his kingdom despise each other.

 

Though competition encouraged growth, too much and it debilitated instead of nurture.

 

Jonas raised his hand in a universal sign for silence. What he didn’t expect was the reverberation of power that echoed in the hall. The people sat in stunned silence giving each other wary looks. The painted faces had massive grimaces, like they swallowed something bitter. 

 

Honestly, he could get used to this type of power. With a wave of his hand he made everyone shut their mouths. No screaming, arguing, and fights to get this unruly group from stopping the party that had started out without prior warning. They even began to bring out drinks enjoy and small snacks to eat. 

 

He waited for a few seconds more to drive home the point. Yep, he was in charge here. No one else. 

 

“It has come to my knowledge something that disappoints me more than anything else I have seen already. Here, with war just begin the horizon, in my kingdom, there exists a rift that tears you apart. Here, when unity means survival and division death, I find you separated into groups and factions each lobbying for more power.”

 

He was not going to have another politically plagued system were anyone could literally pay to make laws that helped them instead of the kingdom in a whole. He…

 

Jonas took a breath as he closed his eyes. To the outside observer, he seemed to barely contain his wrath at what he deemed beyond forgiveness. 

 

But to him, he chorused a mantra he’d picked up lately. 

 

America doesn’t exists. America doesn’t exist. America doesn’t-

 

He opened his eyes again with more resolve than before. America doesn’t exist, so these visions were nothing more than nightmares. That is all to it, nothing more.

 

“Step forward High Generals of PennyHarbor. I expect a satisfactory answer now.”

 

As he surveyed the collection of people before him, his eyes met general Mefendous and the one who hailed him. He knew they were the leaders of their respective groups. The two looked at their counterparts, then stepped forward together. 

 

“Lord-“

 

“Your majesty.” Jonas interrupted. “It’s Your Majesty. As the King in the Emperor's stead, you will address me as my station deserves or you will be punished. It has been clear that consequences have been...diminished in the colony of the motherland. Not only doesn’t the city of Petrous commit treason-“

 

Everyone in the room gasped and looked wide-eyed. Some had family there and could only fear for them. Many of the knights and mages wanted to run up and beg him for mercy but were quickly blocked by his soldiers and guards. Including a group he didn’t recognize. 

 

The large commotion continued until Jonas raised his hand again with the same intent. Within a moment, there was dead silence in the hall again, though the people were still restlessly moving. The guards never moved, still barricading the path towards his throne.

5