Chapter 29 | Loyalty
560 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kedo stepped forward after they spoke with looks and twitches of the face. “Your majesty, I-I know its not my place to speak of such things. But, she...” He pointed at Ash standing behind Jonas. “...is of common blood. She does not have the prerequisite lineage or even position to command an army, just a title and nothing more. It would not look good on any of us, including you, your majesty.”

Jonas frowned, he took what Ash usually harped on about high nobility as a joke. He did not expect this. “What? I thought I made my point clear already, Gravious Kedo. Didn’t think my words were ambiguous.”

“N-no, your majesty.” Mefendous stepped in to help Kedo. “You are at the pinnacle of oration. We...cannot be ordered by someone of such low birth.” Noticing Jonas’s darkening face, he raised his hands. “Please excuse my words, your majesty. But it is the truth, social constructs demand it, not us. We would do anything you ordered, but not this. We don’t even know if she is actually half skilled as any second rate commander.”

Jonas felt like he was going to explode, a volcano of anger and indignity. Ash was his Gravious, and by that virtue alone, she should have the right to lead all the soldiers of the entire colony if he asked. He felt his noble inclinations kick in, begging him to execute these two men and any who would challenge him.

But Ash’s timely cough prevented him from lashing out. He had to take three very deep breaths to full calm down. The sheer audacity had him shaking. In the back of his mind all he could think of was getting rid of them, push them in front of a subway train, or dumping their bodies into a river.

Why those specifically, he wasn’t sure, but they felt like the best options.

He turned back to look at Ash, he expected her to be ready to behead every person on the battlement. Instead, the woman was smiling like a Cheshire Cat—ear to ear with space to grow. He couldn’t get it, doesn’t it irk her the way they treated her? How they sounded almost disgusted to even mention being lead by her.

“I have a suggestion if you don’t mind, master.” She said as she stared the two generals down. “How about one of those duels you of high society love so much.”

“Yes!” Kedo jumped in. “Didn’t expect rational thought from someone so-”

“Enough. You will not insult my general and in turn me. I-I can’t believe this is actually the hill your willing to die on. But I will happily oblige.” Just as he was about to turn away, Mefendous called out with panic in his voice.

“Your Majesty! Please, we accept her suggestion. If she can beat us, one after the other, we will not speak of it again,” He pleaded.

Jonas stared at the man for a moment, that painted face only made him that more irritated. Only a confident nod from Ash reassured him. She knew what she was doing, and part of that was never taking risks that were beyond her ability.

Then again, his father had sent her with him. As of yet, none of his honor guard had disappointed him. To be truthful, they exceeded all his expectations. If Gregor was the weakest of the lot, then Ash should be a powerhouse in her own right. Jonas had to trust her, no matter how badly he wanted to browbeat them into oblivion.

“Okay. End it quickly, Ash. I don’t have the time for this farce.”

Ash bowed to him, a perfect ninety degrees. “Yes, master. Your will is my command.” Getting up, she sauntered towards the two with her staple smile, her cloak billowing out behind her with the wind. She struck Jonas as a heroic figure from tales rather than hi guard. “How do you want to lose, one by one or both at the same time? Worry not, I will be gentle.”

“Your arrogance knows no bounds you bit—I mean, uncouth common born.” Mefendous looked towards Jonas and gulped. He almost slipped up big time. Once he noticed him with an impassive face, he found enough courage to speak. “I will teach you a lesson in humility, enguarde!”

With a flash, he pulled out his sword from its scabbard. He lowered his center of gravity and took a very defensive posture.

Ash did not respond, she waited for him to strike.

The man circled around her, trying to find an opening or a trap she had set up for him. He knew she had a plethora of long daggers and two short swords on her person, he just didn’t know how well she could use them. Then again, she wouldn’t be able to use them to their full potential as a commoner.

Without warning, he took three large steps then struck out, making sure to use the extra length as his greatest advantage. It was a sign of skill and great experience. He might look bigger than her, but he wasn’t sure what her abilities were exactly, so he tested the waters first.

His stab towards her head was dodge with a step sideways. In the same motion, she pulled out her short sword and stepped forward in perfect footwork. For a moment, it looked like it was all over in the first exchange. But, Mefendous showed why he was a general of PennyHarbor.

With a flick of his wrist, he brought down his larger sword enough for Ash’s to glance off around him. He stepped back a few steps to make distance and reevaluate.

She didn’t let him, with a smile, she rushed him and swung from a long distance, only to feint instead when Mefendous committed to the parry. A single step and second later, she held a blade to his neck as he stood off balance after over-extending with his weapon.

Jonas couldn’t believe his eyes. Her fundamentals and technique were so sound and smooth, she outperformed and teach he ever had. Why was it again Ash couldn’t be his instructor? He’d have to ask.

But, more importantly, how was she stronger than Gregor? Didn’t he literally disappear from his sight when he struck out at the pirates and mercenaries representatives? How was she supposed to counter that?

As she sauntered back, it was almost like she read his mind. She got close enough so no one else but Joans would hear her whisper over the wind. “As you just entered high society not a full year yet, you haven’t been taught the rulings to duels. Unless you are of equal threshold within the Path, you cannot use any inner skill or power. I am far stronger than they are if we used our Paths, so I had to prove how much more advanced I am than their best.”

“What about Kedo?” Jonas said.

“He won’t challenge, he knows better than to embarrass himself like Gravious Mefendous did.”

Jonas frowned. “You show that man respect even after what he has said? He doesn’t deserve it.”

Ash turned serious, unlike her usual self. “He may be a bigoted pig, but his achievements cannot be denied. He is skilled and a good battlemonger. Though he lacks greatly in training soldiers, his views limit his potential when it comes to that. I will show respect to what he has achieved first, then I will detract from his ideologies.”

“A noble perspective. You’d think we of high society would hold such virtues to heart.”

Her smile returned in full force. “We have you, master. I don’t know what happened on that day exactly, but you’ve changed. Your father wouldn’t recognize you. You had been wandering aimlessly for a while then, it might have been a blessing in disguise, no matter how atrocious your brother’s actions were.

To be honest, when I first learned I had been given to you as part of your honor guard, I was afraid you would mistreat me. But, I couldn’t be happier to say that I was wrong for the first time in years.” She paused like she didn’t want to say what she had on her mind. But after a few seconds, her face resolved and nodded. “...You’ll be a great king.”

With that she turned around an quietly faced the two generals who were arguing among themselves. It seemed Ash was right, Kedo didn’t want to go out and duel her, but Mefendous wasn’t having it. He demanded he go out and honor their agreement, yet no matter what he said, Kedo never changed his mind.

On the other hand, Jonas had not even noticed their verbal and quite colorful sparring. All he could do was stare at Ash’s back. For the first time in what felt like ages, he felt like he had someone he could fully rely on. A figure who could hold him up when he faced his greatest challenges.

Yes, Frezar had been with him, but he was closer to a kindly grandfather than an emotional support figure. Jonas didn’t want to trouble the aging man with his many worries and insecurities.

Ash, well, she had shoulders wide enough to help carry is heavy burden.

Ruling an entire kingdom without any previous and undaunting local support would be a task he wasn’t sure he could live up to alone.

Hey! Two things of importance.

1. I have a Discord! now. Check it out, and stay for future reminders and notifications. Best to keep uptodate with your authors lest they run away.

2. And more importantly to you guys. This week and next week is examination weeks for my Univ. classes, so chapters are going to slow down a bit until its done then going to pick up again.

4