Chapter 01: The End
580 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Content Warnings: Suicidal Attempts

He stood at the edge of the cliff, staring deep into the abyss below.

The Lost, they called it. Apparently, your body disintegrates before you hit the ground. Leaving nothing behind, not even a sliver of your soul, as if you were never there to begin with.

Only those who have nowhere else to go, comes here.

Those who have nothing left to live for, comes here.

Those who have walked the wrong path, comes here.

And those who deserve to be punished, comes here.

This was the final resting place for the man standing on the edge of the cliff.

However, his resting place wasn't in this abyss. It was on this cliff.

The system had promised him that this was where it will send him back home. Soul intact and everything.

So, he waited.

He called.

He cried.

Yet, the system never answered. The system that was by his side the moment he arrived in this world. The system that he obeyed its every command. The system he considered his friend. It disappeared. Vanished. Abandoned him here in this world he doesn't call home.

So, he stood at the edge of the cliff, staring deep into the abyss below.

Why was he brought into this world?

Why had the system left him?

Where was his promised reward?

If he was to be stuck in this world, then he would rather die.

There was nothing worth living for here.

He closed his eyes. Took a step forward. And breathed his last sigh.

The world he was stuck in was a book was called, The Fallen Hero's Rise. A typical name with a typical story that takes place in your typical fantasy world.

It was about a boy, who became a man, who gained everything, who then lost everything, who then gained everything again and became the best in the world.

A hero.

The protagonist of this book was called Rey Atland. Being half-demon and half-human, he was gifted with marvelous strength and a heart-wrenching background. Along with him came his harem. One of which becomes his one true love, Evelyn Thravara. An Northern Elf with unmatched beauty and benevolence. Then came the protagonist's best friend, Leon. The loyal and lovable human friend whose only there for the journey and the laughs. And finally, the villain, Val Valtine. The full-blooded demon who causes trouble at every end of the world.

Like said before, the book was a typical story that takes place in your typical fantasy world. The only difference being that a person from the modern world had transmigrated into the book.

Specifically, into the body of the protagonist's best friend, Leon.

He doesn't remember his original name. But somehow, he remembers that he was in his fourth year of college. One more semester and he would have graduated with his bachelor's in Fine Arts. His friend had recommended him to read this large three book series, saying it was one of the most heroic things ever written. So, he took time to read the series. He was actually quite fond of it. He enjoyed the main character and the plot. There was just the right amount of drama, slightly boring, but enjoyable all the same. It wasn't until he was on his plane ride home for winter break that he began reading the last chapter. Somewhere along the way, he fell asleep. And when he woke, he found himself in the world of the The Fallen Hero's Rise.

He was lying in a bed being healed by a beauty with long locks of silver hair and pure snow skin. He almost fell in love at first sight, however a screen appeared before his eyes. It displayed the profile of the beauty before him.

Having read many novels before, he instantly realized that he had transmigrated into the book he was reading. This beauty was none other than the protagonist's one true love, Evelyn Thravara. And standing at the entrance of this room was the protagonist himself, Rey Atland.

Rey walked over to the sick bed, raising his hand in a shake.

"I'm Rey Atland," he said with the brightest smile.

This was somewhere in the middle of the first book. Rey Atland and many others were studying at a school hosted by the many kingdoms of the human realm. The humans were the middle ground between all races as they didn't really have any noticeable talents other than being really well-rounded. Then there were the Southern and Northern Elves, who people marveled at for their benevolence and knowledge. There were the Dwarfs who lived together with the humans, as always, anything made from their hands was a treasure. And there were the demons, they came in many forms and was always the cause of disaster and devastation. There are many more, but these were the most important ones of the story.

Anyway, this was exact moment when Leon became the protagonist's best friend. Literally, right after losing to him in a competition of strength hosted by the school. During this time, the protagonist was only 15 years old and had won third place in the competition, causing him to have many friends and enemies at the same time. He still had his innocent and bright personality, bringing happiness to those around him. It was also during this time that he still didn't know of his demon origins despite having the signature black hair and eyes.

Undisturbed by the barge of information, Leon smiled and returned the handshake, "I'm Leon,"

It was after this that the system and Leon had a long conversation of requirements.

System: Please complete every task and scenario as required of the protagonist's best friend, Leon. If fail to complete, punishment will be inflicted. If story strayed from the path, punishment will be inflicted. If acted of out character, punishment will be inflicted. If . . . so on and so on.

His system was incredibly strict. So strict it scared him.

However, because his system was so strict, it was also the most helpful. Giving detailed instructions, information, and guidance to every task he needed to complete. From Leon's personality, his habits, his lines, his entire way of life from even outside of the storyline, the system helped him perfected it.

As such, he never once gotten punished.

The story went exactly how it was supposed to, down to its finest detail. Leon was there when the protagonist gained power, he was there when the protagonist fell in love, he was there when the protagonist discovered his origins, he was there when the protagonist lost his love, he was there when the protagonist blackened, and so on and so on all the way to when the protagonist killed the villain.

And now that the story had finished, it was time to get his reward.

System: Once every task and scenario is completed, you will be rewarded. Please go to the cliff of The Lost, the system will safely take you back home.

Leon, ". . . Do I jump?"

System: Please DO NOT jump into The Lost, your soul will disintegrate and be lost forever. The system will safely take you back home.

It was this reward that Leon had worked so hard for.

From previous transmigration books he had read, he knew the transmigrated character usually decides to stay in the otherly world in the end. Usually because their life in their original world was already hell or they had found love in this other world.

But for Leon, his life was already wonderful in his original world.

He was still in his prime. He still had one more semester to finish before he graduates. He still had to beat up his friend who made him read this book. He still had to see his loving family. He missed his mom and dad. He missed his little sister. He missed his dog.

He missed home.

So after he bid farewell to the protagonist, he made his journey to The Lost. For the first time since entering this world, he finally felt free and could truly smile from the bottom of his heart. It took a months to get there, but he knows it'll only take a second for him to be back in the airplane flying home.

But, when he called out to the system.

No one answered.

He called again.

And there was nothing.

And he called again.

And nothing.

He decided to wait, maybe the system was just updating or something.

He's a patient person. He spent ten years in this book already, what's another couple days.

One day passed, and nothing.

Then another day, and still nothing.

And days turned into weeks.

And weeks turned into months.

And nothing.

The system that had been with him the moment he had arrived, who promised him his reward, had disappeared.

He screamed from the top of his lungs, calling out to the system. He caused mayhem on the cliff of The Lost. He broke every possible out of character act for the system to punish him. And yet, there was nothing.

He truly felt despair.

How was he going to get home?

He can barely even remember his name.

He was afraid.

Afraid that this world was going to take everything from him as it already took 10 years of his life.

Maybe this was why the system told him to go to The Lost?

Maybe this was his only way to leave this world?

Maybe he was already dead?

If he couldn't return home, then it was best to just end it all here.

21