Chapter IV
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The icy ground crunched and cracked with every step they took. The night had left a thick belt of frost on the ground and the morning air was chilling to the core. Aetius had been complaining since they left the settlement before dawn, not happy with the current circumstances they found themselves in.

‘So, another wild goose chase…’

The rising winter sun was ahead of them as they walked and Aurelius had to squint as he looked at Aetius.

‘We must do whatever it takes, Aetius, you know that.’

‘We still need to find Caius, and the Senator’s daughter, I don’t trust our newfound ally.’

‘We have no choice.’ Aurelius argued, ‘He says he has information on both of them, and their whereabouts. Besides, if he betrays us he’ll have the Roman Empire to deal with soon enough.’

Aetius disagreed, ‘We don’t know that, we might not even make it back alive from this little adventure of yours.’

‘Have faith, Old friend, have faith.’

They marched on in silence through the forest, following an old path that the Chieftain’s daughter had advised them to follow.

‘How far is this place?’ Aetius broke the silence.

Aurelius pointed forward with his hand. ‘We follow this course until we can no more, you heard what she said.’

‘A few days hard walking…’ Aetius took a mouthful of water to wash down some dry bread, then continued. ‘Follow the track of the sun, your new friend said, she didn’t say for how long though.’

‘If your referring to Ebba, the chieftain’s daughter, as we now know her to be, she’s not my new friend.’

 Aetius laughed at his friend’s rebuttal. ‘You could have fooled me! You were practically drooling over each other!’

Aurelius laughed but it was true, she had been on his mind since last night, it was all he could do to not to think of her, although all they had done was talk, it was clear that there was a deeper connection, at least to him.

 

 

 

They marched at a hard pace throughout the day, a soldiers pace, rerouting around dense woodland to avoid bandits and then finding their original route, crossing frozen rivers and climbing steep, treacherous  gorges. After a few long days of travelling and every morning  finding themselves under a frost covered cloak,  they came across what seemed to be a deserted settlement, a welcome discovery after sleeping out in the cold. The settlement consisted of five Dwellings, made of dried mud walls interspersed with small rocks and sticks, with wooden roofs. The huts were big enough to house five people with a fire in the centre and were in various states of decay. Mud was crumbling off the walls, leaving gaping holes that a man could fit his fist through, and the roofs would not keep out a shower for long.

 

Searching each one quickly, the last one they found seemed to be in better condition than the others, not homely at all but certainly offered a little more shelter than the other buildings. Aetius stepped inside and saw a scorched circle with the remains of a fire in the middle of the earth floor. At first glance it looked as if it had gone out but kneeling down and placing his palm just above the charcoal, he could feel warmth. He blew on the burnt wood gently and embers sparked, casting a faint warm glow in the dark abode. He added more wood until he had a good flame. Looking around Aetius could now see clearer. Swept aside to the edges were small bones and skulls, remnants of small mammals that had been eaten. He noticed strange patterns on the walls that began to take form the more he looked, made more mysterious as light from the flames danced across the walls, almost bringing the drawings to life.

Tracing his finger around the lines and shapes, he could make out animals and human forms. Aetius rubbed the markings, smudging the charcoal. There was a rudimentary image of what seemed to be a pregnant woman, with stick figures surrounding it, seemingly kneeling around it and worshipping it. The pregnant woman appeared to be on her back, with her knees bent as if she were about to give birth. Instead of a baby, life seemed to flow from between her legs. A great river flowed out, depicting all life, from great beasts he could not recognise, to small fish and other creatures of the earth. What he saw next almost terrified him, drawings of bodies cut open, with images of strange figures holding up the insides, offering the viscera to the pregnant woman as a sacrifice. He was mesmerised by the ghoulish images, and almost jumped when he heard a shout from outside.

Shadows formed in the trees and between the dwellings as daylight faded. Aurelius searched  for any signs of life and as it got darker his eyes had to adjust to the changing light. Branches rustled and moved as birds roosted while shadows moved across the frozen ground as the sun dropped, causing him to look twice at everything. Something was wrong, a shape that he took to be a shadow had not moved, it just stood still, looking out from behind a small mud hut. He looked at it more carefully and noticed two small slits where eyes would be, then he could make out more, a head, Arms, legs, fingers wrapped around something. A weapon? In the moment of realisation the shadowy figure darted off into the wood behind. Aurelius ordered the figure to halt.

‘Stop!’

The figure ignored Aurelius and within seconds was gone. Without thinking Aurelius gave chase, acting on instinct. Aetius burst out and darted after him, very soon they were in the woods, and it was getting dark.

Although he could not see the figure, Aurelius could hear twigs snapping as the shadowy figure ran on, and he followed the sound. He caught sight of the figure, then it seemed to vanish, swallowed up by the forest.

‘Wait, Aurelius!’

Aetius tried to catch him but was losing sight in the rapidly fading light.

‘What are you chasing?’

Aurelius called through the trees, ‘Over here! Follow my voice!’. They soon met up as Aurelius waited for him, pausing to listen for any noise that would give away the runner’s position.

‘We were being watched, back there.’ Aurelius raised his right hand, indicating with his thumb. ‘And whoever it was, went this way.’

‘Did you see who it was?’ Aetius Asked.

‘Too dark, and now they’re gone.’

The forest was completely dark now, Trees towered above them and surrounded them, the darkness giving the illusion of the forest itself closing in on the two men. Now they were lost. Aetius took a few steps past Aurelius, looking for a path. 

‘There must be a track…’

‘Whoever was watching us just seemed to disappear into the trees, as impossible as it sounds.’

Aurelius answered. ‘We should be able to backtrack out the way we came.’

Before they had a chance to react the surrounding bushes seemed to come alive as armed men jumped from the undergrowth, surrounding them.

‘Don’t move!’

The lead bandit commanded, but Aurelius was quicker.

‘Too late!’

He drew his short sword, thrusting it towards his assailant’s throat, stopping just short of piercing it. Aetius went for his sword but was too slow, immediately he was overpowered, and his sword taken off him. Aurelius had  two more spearpoints digging in his side before he could react.

‘I said don’t move…’ The bandit growled, reinforcing  his point by applying more pressure with his spear, digging it in but not penetrating skin.

‘Fair enough,’ Aurelius complied, lowering his sword in defeat. The last thing they saw was the heavy club swinging down over their heads, knocking them out.  

                                                                                                                      ***

Caius had not seen Tulia for some days, but someone had been pushing food and water through the doorway of his dwelling and left it on the floor. Something he said had obviously upset her. He was feeling a lot stronger now and decided to stretch his legs. He stepped out and had to squint as he looked outside, he had not seen daylight for a while, and it hurt his eyes. He noticed the cold also, compared to inside where he had kept a small fire burning. It was definitely colder.  As his eyes adjusted to the sun, he took in his surroundings. Structures similar to his home for the last few weeks stood, some different shapes and some bigger, all made from timber and mud. One stood out in the centre of the settlement bigger still, circular with a thatched, high roof, which looked like some kind of meeting place . Caius decided to head for there.

Stumbling at first on weak legs, he almost fell into one of the houses but managed to stay upright. He guessed it to be around the middle of the morning judging by the sun, and there were villagers walking around, none seemed to take that much notice of him. Small fires burnt here and there, while children ran after chickens. Caius approached the large structure and paused, he could hear voices inside. He pushed aside heavy animal skins and stepped inside, the heat from a great fire instantly warming him. Wolf skins lined the walls and a deer’s head with huge antlers hung off the timber frame at the other end of the room, its empty eye sockets staring at him as he entered. Around the fire sat on animal furs were four people. He looked at them, recognising no one, but then his eyes fell on a familiar face. Tulia  smiled at him and beckoned.

‘Come.’ she welcomed him with a smile. ‘Sit down, we’re just about to eat.’

Caius kneeled in front of the fire, and sat next to an older man, who was already eating, his hands and mouth greasy from roasted rabbit. Tulia passed him a wooden platter with more roasted rabbit and other various meats, he took it and thanked her, then began to eat. It all felt very strange to him as he sat there eating, everyone just sat and ate, not speaking, then he recognised another face. Bedwyr, who Caius recognised as the old man who tried to poison him sat opposite to him, just eating his meal as if nothing had happened. Caius looked down at his food and then looked up to see Tulia smiling at him again, this time reassuringly. He relaxed and picked up a chunk of meat, knowing that if they wanted him dead they could have done it at any time.

Once everyone had finished eating, the old man sitting next to Caius nodded discreetly to Tulia, who acknowledged likewise.

‘It’s time to introduce your host. Caius…’ She said, smiling again.

Caius flinched inwardly when she mentioned his name but decided not to insult her intelligence and would not ask how she had come to know his name.

‘This..’ she gestured to the man sitting next to him,’….is the Chief of this village, Torolf.’ Caius stood up and bowed slightly towards him.

‘Thank you for your hospitality, my lord. I am in your debt.’

Tulia continued. ‘While you dwell in his village you are also under his protection, so you truly are in indebted to him.’

Accepting this Caius declared. ‘If that is the case my lord, then I must offer you my loyalty. While I reside under your roof, then I swear to you my allegiance.’

Torolf gestured for him to sit down. ‘Tulia is also under my protection, she has made it clear that she does not want to return to Rome, and she has denounced her allegiance to the emperor.’

Caius was taken aback by this but was careful not to show it. Torolf continued.

‘I know why you are here, and you should know that Tulia’s life takes precedence over yours.’

The meaning was clear to Caius, he had no choice but to let Tulia be. ‘You should know also…’ The chief continued. ‘Your friend is dead.’

 Justus and the others had been the last thing on Caius mind, until now. ‘What about my other comrades? Why did you not kill me?’  

Bedwyr spoke for the first time. ‘Tulia decided to spare you. The poison obviously didn’t work as intended and she seems to think its fate or intervention from the gods.’

Torolf interrupted, pointing a thick, greasy finger at Caius. ‘I wish you had died, less trouble for me! You had better not be any trouble, because I will not hesitate to kill you.’

Tulia defended him. ‘I’m sure that our guest will be of no trouble, my lord.’

Torolf grumbled something incomprehensible, muttering under his breath.

‘You have my allegiance lord.’ Caius reiterated his position with a deferential nod  ‘I am at your service.’

The evening drew on and everyone had finished eating. Most had either fell asleep or returned to their homes.  Bedwyr and Torolf had fallen asleep where they sat and were snoring noisily, occasionally belching or farting, or both at the same time. Tulia rose elegantly and gestured Caius to follow her. Once outside, the cold air hit them and Tulia shivered as she covered her head with a fur cloak.

‘It’s warmer in Rome, you know..’ Caius stated. ‘Why don’t you want to go back?’

They walked on in silence for a short while then Tulia answered. ‘Rome will eat itself, if it doesn’t fall first to invaders.’

Raising an eyebrow, Caius questioned her. ‘How so?’

Tulia paused, pondering her answer. ‘Rome cannot continue to conquer all before her. Empires rise, empires fall. Notably corrupt, sordid ones like the one my Father serves. I cannot be a part of that world.’

‘I serve that empire also.’ Caius replied irritably. ‘It has given me a life that I could not have had otherwise.’  

Tulia turned on Caius angrily. ‘You only see a small part of what actually happens behind the veils of power! Murder, torture, depravity. It sickens me, and we’re supposed to be civilised!’

‘As a mere soldier I can only serve, it is not my place to judge’.

Caius grasped Tulia’s arm gently. ‘Are you sure you want a life here? It’s dangerous, and when Caesar lands with the legions, and he will, you will be caught eventually.’

She shook his hand away angrily. ‘Torolf will not let anything happen to me. All the time I have been here I have proved my loyalty to his tribe, and denounced Rome. There is more to Britannia than what you see and Julius Caesar will learn the hard way!’

They continued to walk slowly, neither speaking, not wanting to argue. They were out of the settlement now, moving further away. Caius did not know what she meant by that but had another question for her.

‘The one who died, was it the one who took the girl?’

Tulia nodded.

‘How did he die?’

A look of concern crossed Tulia’s face. ‘He died, that’s all you need to know.’  

Caius was about to ask another question, but Tulia stopped him. ‘We must get back now, I did not realise we had walked so far, and it’s getting dark.’

They walked briskly back to the settlement in silence. Remains of fires smouldered outside, acting as beacons to light the way. Tulia led Caius to his dwelling and paused.

‘You’ll be invited to eat with us again, if you wish, tomorrow.’

She then briefly kissed his cheek and walked off. Caius was taken off guard momentarily by the kiss, and before he had a chance to react she had gone. He decided to do a little exploring and set off in the opposite direction to which Tulia walked.

Before Caius knew it he was back outside the settlement, heading deeper into the trees. He passed an old man who was heading back from the forest.

‘You don’t want to go in there after dark, Roman.’ The old man said as he passed.

‘Why?’ Caius asked but the old man didn’t respond and just kept on walking.

Caius thought to himself that everyone must know who he is and where he was from, the so-called secret mission had lost all meaning now. Was it going to turn into a game of survival? He kept on walking, meaning to pass around the village on the outside, but this meant going into the forest. He could still see fires, and he thought as long as he kept them in sight he would be safe enough. Keeping this in mind, he made his way around the village, making mental notes of prominent buildings and other features. Here and there tall stones stood, some on their own and others forming small rings. Two of these stones made up a gateway way to what seemed like a burrowed-out hillock, with a narrow path starting at the stones, and leading gradually down into a small doorway framed with tall granite pillars.

Caius cautiously followed the narrow path down, and paused at the doorway, unsure whether to go in, his better sense telling him not to. His inquisitiveness getting the better of him he ducked down and passed through the doorway, almost on all fours. After a few steps in he could not see, no light entered this far in at night. Inside it was cold and damp, and the air smelt musty. Caius felt like he had stepped into another time, this place seemed ancient to him. Trying to suppress a shiver Caius groped around above his head, standing up slowly, still feeling with his hands. The space above his head was empty, but then he felt his hands run through a mass of spider’s webs, thick, sticky and clinging. He immediately panicked as he felt something fall into his hair and tried to brush off whatever had fallen from the web. He wasn’t normally afraid of spiders but something about this place made the back of his neck prickle. Fighting the urge to flee, he controlled himself and allowed his eyes time to adjust to the darkness. vague objects began to become clearer, and he could just make out shapes on the ground around him.

 

What were just shapes now began to take form as his eyes adapted to the dark. Skeletons lay next to each other, some were smaller than others and were obviously children, whole families had been laid to rest here. Caius decided that he had spent too long inside, and crawled back out under the stone doorway, deliberately slowing down his movements, lying to himself that he wasn’t scared of this place. Outside was pitch black now, and as Caius stood up he felt disoriented and struggled to get his bearings at first. Which way had he come? He walked down the pathway that led to the tall stone pillars and had to stop as he reached the gateway, a sickness overcome him, and he reached an arm out to rest on one of the stones to stop himself falling. He felt his eyesight fading while his consciousness ebbed away. With great effort he managed to step over the threshold, through the gateway and back out onto the path that led to the village. He leant against the tall stone and tried to calm his breathing, which had now become ragged and shallow, his skin cold and clammy.

Caius assumed that he had been poisoned again as he regained his strength or was it the air in the old burial chamber. All his senses were returning to normal now and the sickness passed so he decided to rest a little longer and lowered his body down, leaning against the stone and sitting on his heels so if he had to get up fast he could. Suddenly fatigue overcome him, and he struggled to keep his eyes open, then, giving in he slumped to the cold ground and fell into a deep sleep. He dreamt of a place far away, a place of snow and lands that had been icebound for as long as any man could remember. Then he saw bubbling seas, and cliffs of ice towering above it. In his dream it felt like he had to be there, he could feel the barren land calling to him. He wasn’t alone but he couldn’t make out who was next to him. A woman? She seemed scared and he had to take her away, away from what? He thought.

Suddenly he awoke, startled, ripped from his dreaming. All the nerve endings in his body crackled to life, firing his instincts. Something was out there! The adrenalin pumped through his veins jolting his body from its torpor. He slowed his breath down and listened, focusing all his attention on the sounds of the forest and could hear wild animals waking from their slumber as dawn approached. He rubbed his face with the palm of his hand.  How long have I been asleep? And  began to shudder as he noticed the cold. The chilly morning air was still, and the forest quiet,  and he watched every moving branch and blade of grass, still listening. Was it his imagination?

A twig snapped, he spun around with a hunter’s speed, sword in hand. ‘Who’s out there?’ He demanded, no reply.

There was silence for a few seconds then another twig snap, he spun around again as the sound had moved to his rear, whatever it was, it was moving fast, circling him, like a hunter closing in its prey. A low, guttural snarl pierced his soul and before he had time to think a wolf lunged at him, filling his vision with a gaping, spittle flecked maw and deadly dagger like fangs, snapping at him. He threw his hands in front of his face in a vain attempt to fight off the beast, managing to grasp the long fur around its neck, he could feel the beasts hot breath in his face, the smell of rotten flesh masking everything else. But the wolf was too strong and within seconds its fangs were clamped around his neck, any second now his throat would be ripped out.

Yelling out, he grasped at his throat and scrambled back against a tree trunk. He hadn’t moved, what he thought was a tree was the tall stone that he had fell asleep by. Am I awake? He felt the cold stone behind him and leant back on it. Even though it was freezing he was sweating as the spectre of the dream haunted him, it was still dark, and images of the wolf were still alive in his mind. Trying to compose himself, he waited for something to appear from the woods. Then out of nowhere came a voice, ‘You were warned not to enter the forest after dark…’

It was the old man, Bedwyr. ‘There are wolves about, big wolves…’ he cackled to himself.

Caius was startled but didn’t want the old man to see. ‘How do you..?’

No, he thought to himself. He can’t know about my dream.

‘Now..’ Bedwyr said. ‘We’d better get back, there is still a few hours of dark, and we’re not safe out here. Follow me.’ He waved the torch he was carrying in the direction of the village, beckoning for Caius to follow.

‘Wait..’ Caius demanded, he heard something. Standing dead still he held his breath and listened intently, but the night gave away nothing else, nothing moved in the forest. They headed back to the settlement but on the way back Caius thought how strange it was that he heard no noise at all, while the back of his neck itched with the feeling that they were being followed. He had stopped to listen but hadn’t heard anything. He couldn’t help but notice how quiet the old man walked, like a ghost almost.

 

0