World-building Glossary
695 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello new reader ! I know the glossary might overwhelm you with all these foreign terms but I do hope you will give the story a chance. I have already added footnotes in the earlier chapters to ease you into the worldbuilding. Other than that, I have nothing else to say. All I hope for is for you to enjoy your read :)

Alhari: refers to the mythical kingdom of Alhara. This fantastical kingdom is found in the legends and folktales of the Semani people.

Alikana Mark: The mark of those who are 'twice-blessed' by the Echo. They are the rarest of the blessed and yield more than one attribute of the Echo.

Bonded : equivalent to mate or spouse. Gender neutral term.

Bonded-to-be : equivalent to betrothed. 

Bonding : equivalent to marriage. A bonding is considered sacred and lifelong, unless there are special circumstances that would necessitate its annulment. Without the direct and explicit permission of the Zaradate Temple, no bonding could be legally broken.

Ayaseen : A reputable middle-tier noble clan/house in the capital of the Semani Empire.

Dasi : a noble title, equivalent to lord, governor or clan-head.

Dasiri : a noble title conferred to the official consort of a Dasi, can be male or female.

Dasra : the noble social class of the Semani Empire.

Dasrari : an adjective that pertains to things related to the Dasra.

Dawaha : The equivalent of the Devil. The very entity that corrupted the Echo and birthed the forbidden attribute, otherwise known as the the Void attribute.

Concubine: means acknowledged lover or companion. Can be male or female. Concubines are different from consorts. They're a rank below. A Dasi can only have one consort, his Dasiri, but there is no official limit to the number of concubines he can have.

Echo: a mysterious divine power that grants 'attributes' to those it 'marks 'from birth. Equivalent to magic or mana.

Helisari : The sacred warrior order of the Zaradate Temple, equivalent to the Templar or Paladin order.

Katra : The continent within which the Semani Empire is located. There are three other continents within the Realm. Two known and one uncharted. 

Kersa: The northernmost and biggest province of the Semani Empire, colloquially known as the land of the Frozen Plains. It falls under the jurisdiction of the second Reznal, Ivak of Kersa.

Kumatani : The order of priests and priestesses who follow the faith of the Mahatir.

Listener(s): refers to those who are born with the gift of the mark. Listeners are individuals capable of yielding no more than one attribute granted to them by the Mahatir. Otherwise known as the once-blessed.

Mahatir : Also known as the 'Holy Mother'. The matron deity of the majority of the Semani people.

Malhada : equivalent to crown prince.

Mash'kanta : The legalized coalition of merchants in the Semani Empire, equivalent to Trade Union or Merchant Guild. 

Mesra : A tribal nation located on the western border of Sema. On the year 1505 Solis, Mesra was annexed into the territories of the Empire.

Mesrin : an adjective pertaining to all things originating from Mesra, including its people. The Mesrin folk are known for their genetic features : red hair and mostly amber-colored eyes. There are exceptions like in the cases of interracial bondings. 

Na'bian : refers to Na'bia. The sole desert within the Katra continent.

Nak'e : equivalent to Abyss Dragon. A legendary beast of Semani mythology. It is often used as a cultural allusion to the Dawaha. 

Nightling Hound: A unique hunting beast exclusive to the use of the Reznali.

Nrai : equivalent of hell, or the netherworld.

Rahadi : refers to the order of mages/Listeners who work for the Rezas.

Rezas : Emperor in the Semani tongue.

Rezna : the official title of the Rezas's consort, whether male or female. Equivalent to the Empress title. 

Reznal : Prince in Semani tongue.

Reznama : Princess in Semani tongue.

Reznali : means imperial. Also functions as the official name of the ruling clan.

Rihuri Kingdom : An allied kingdom of the Semani Empire, located at its central Eastern border. The Rihuri Kingdom does not adhere to Clan Law and is instead an absolute hereditary monarchy.

Sacred Records : The recorded writings of the Mahatir's Prophetess, Zaradate.

Sema : The official name of the Semani Empire.

Semani : an adjective that pertains to all things related to Sema.

Shakoura : The underground criminal order that rules the Undercity within Thurul, Sema's capital. 

Shefrin : means 'nameless'. Refers to the slave caste.

Echo Attributes : Equivalent to magic attributes. There are seven known attributes and one forbidden attribute in the realm of Katra : Light, Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, Time and Dark attributes. The forbidden attributes refers to the Void attribute which was born out of the Dawaha's corruption of the Echo.

Tewekaga : The head of the Mahatir faith. Also known as the Sacred Eye.

Thurul: The capital city of the Semani Empire.

Valquar Island : A volcanic island located within Grief Ocean, south to Sema. It is famous for its natural resources, most famously its pure black obsidian. In the year 1498 Solis, the island was conquered by the Rihuri Kingdom.

Valquari : an adjective that pertains to all things related to the Valquar Island and also its people. Similarly to the Mesrin, the Valquari are known for their racial-specific features, white hair and black eyes. In the cases of interracial bondings, a child could inherit one of the two genetic features of their Valquari blood.

Ukurl: The faceless coachmen who is believed to guide souls into the Nrai in his carriage. There are several mentions of him in the Sacred Records.

Undercity :  The hidden underground city within the Semani capital, Thurul.

Zaradate Temple: Also refered to as The Temple, the official and central focus of the Mahatir faith. 

Zaradate : The known name of the Mahatir's Prophetess, who was the first mortal to receive the mark of the Divine Echo. 

8