Chapter One : Back in Time and Several Other Dilemmas
650 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A little female servant, probably no older than fifteen summers, stood quietly next to Yuer's bed. She had been in this position for what might have been an hour or so on a candle clock. Despite that, her skinny back remained straight. Her small hands continued to be neatly folded across her belly. Not a single word came out of her mouth since he woke up and found her there. Yuer threw a glance at her sweet-looking face and beyond a slight lowering of her chin, she displayed no reaction.

He dragged his gaze away from her and stared down at his own hands. They were slender, dainty-looking things. The skin on them was young, flawless and clean. There was no signs of abrasions, callouses or burn marks. He had the strangest impulse to touch them, so he began to trace his fingers across the palm of his other hand. The surface of the skin felt soft and smooth; the way a palm of a young, pampered Dasrari master ought to feel.

"Sakina." The familiar name rolled off his tongue.

The once motionless little servant swiftly moved. Before he could look her way, she was already on her knees before him. Her lithe figure suspended in a perfect bowing posture.

"Yes, esteemed young master."

Yuer let his gaze roam over her for a bit before softly asking, "What year is it?"

"It is the year 1552 on the Solis calendar. Today is the twenty ninth day of the ninth month." As Sakina answered, there was not a single hint of hesitation or fluctuation in her tone.

"How old am I this year?" He blurted out.

"My esteemed young master is eighteen summers old as of last month."

"Sakina, bring me my mirror. You know which one." His line of thoughts was leading him toward the craziest of conclusions but he needed to make sure.

"Right away, young master." Sakina nimbly jumped to her feet and briskly walked out of the inner chamber. She reappeared a moment later with a small red-colored box. She offered the object to him with a bowed head. Yuer took it from her hands and settled it across his knees. He took his time caressing the exquisitely carved initials on its smooth-looking surface. Sakina remained quiet and steady next to him. She probably noticed how his hands slightly trembled against the redwood. She might have also noticed his strange mood. However, she didn't speak out of turn and she didn't ask any questions.

Yuer took a long and deep breath before he pushed the lid open. A transparent orb, the size of a pinkie finger, lay within the box. He took the orb and gently placed it on the palm of his hand. He closed his eyes and channeled the Light Echo that resided within him toward it. The familiar, warm sensation of the Divine Echo coursing through him made his blood sing. For a brief moment, his very soul was soaked in the feelings of joy, nostalgia and relief. However as soon as it came, the momentary elation disappeared. The orb lost its initial shape and had morphed into a flat, circular frame with the length of an adult's arm. The frame stood suspended in the air, facing him.

Inside this frame, his countenance was reflected back at him in the most glaring clarity ; A full head of lustrous brown hair. A healthy, slanted pair of blue eyes. A complete, snub-shaped nose. Fine, downward-turned lips. Unmarred peach-colored skin. Overall, it was quite the pleasant-looking, youthful face. A chuckle escaped his mouth. Then, it was followed by another. Soon enough, the boy was bawling with laughter.

For the first time since she was bought into the Ayaseen residence, Sakina breached her self-imposed code of propriety and approached Yuer without a prior order. She kneeled at his feet and cautiously placed her hand next to his, "Esteemed young master…"

Yuer's gaze sought hers and it was then that he realized how blurred and hazy the world suddenly looked. For some reason, the laughter died in his throat. In his mind, the hazy outline of Sakina's face began to overlap with another. A rotten and bloated face. His guts suddenly churned and bile crowded his burning throat. Next thing he knew, he was a wrecked mess on the floor, dry heaving. At this conjecture, the trickles of heat began to freely stream down his face, scalding his skin in the wake of their fall.

Sakina bolted to his side, "Esteemed young master, I will go and fetch the clan healer right away."

She moved to stand but Yuer managed to catch the hem of her robes. She looked back; her usually composed face etched in concern. He shook his head at her and her jaws clenched in response. She hesitated for a bit before running to the outer chamber instead of the courtyard.

The heaving lessened after a moment. Yuer crawled closer to the bed and laid the sweat-drenched skin of his forehead against the cool floor. He didn't know how much time passed before Sakina reappeared next to him. Her deft hands worked quickly as she touched a wet piece of cloth to his face, wiping away sweat, tears and saliva. She repeated the same routine a couple of times before handing him a steaming cup of what smelled like Hufi roots.

"To rinse the mouth." She clarified, "It's also good for getting rid of nausea."

The trembling had subsided so Yuer was able to hold on to the cup. He took a moment before throwing its content down his throat. He handed the cup back to Sakina before leaning his head against her shoulder. Sakina stiffened. The young shefrin servant was well-aware of the consequences of touching one's master without an invitation. It was especially true for her master, who was a twice-blessed person. She decided to remain still until her master commanded her otherwise. If he wished to use her as a recliner, she would voice no objections. Yuer, on his part, could barely open his eyes. Weariness started to cling to his limbs like heavy chains of black-iron and along the weariness, came the chills.

"Sakina, help me up. I wish to lay down for a bit."

The young servant nodded. She stood up and with a bowed head, offered her hand to him. Yuer took it. He staggered for bit before steadying himself. Together, he and his servant walked to the bed. Sakina let him lay down before arranging the covering. The boy's eyelids grew far too heavy for him to keep them open. His awareness started to slowly fade but he could still hear the rustling of Sakina's robes against the floor as she moved about the place. He must have muttered her name because she was right next to him in an instant. Yuer felt his way around for her hand. Once he found it, he squeezed it with his own.

"I'm sorry, Sakina. So sorry." He murmured, "I'm so happy I could see you again. This time…" His tongue started to grew leaden, "This time I swear…I will…" Sleep claimed Yuer before he could finish what he wished to say.

Sakina stood there for a long time. Her deep, brown gaze fixated on the gentle, sleeping face of her young master. His mumbled words were still ringing inside her ears and her state of mind had long shifted from concern to determination. She was clearer than anyone on the tender nature of her young master. She was also well-aware of his true predicament. On the surface, he was a twice-blessed person, an Alikana-marked, who had the support of the holy Tewekaga, however the reality of things was otherwise. The Ayaseen clan's elders couldn't wait to sell him off to the Reznali and the latter couldn't wait to use him as leverage against the Zaradate Temple. Each party wished to push her young master into the jaws of the storm. No one truly cared for what he felt or thought. Least of all, his own sire.

Sakina might be an unlearned and lowly shefrin servant, but she was not without ears. She did hear of the palace, of the type of place it was. The harems of the Rezas and his sons were no place for her softhearted master. He would be torn alive in that nest of vipers. She must protect him. She must shield him at all costs. She owed him her life the day he took her off of the plague-ridden streets of the Undercity. This eternal debt, she would never forget.

Sakina took a step back from the bed, bent her knees and kowtowed to her sleeping master. Not once but three times. In her heart, she vowed to him a lifelong vow. Be it hailstorms, fire rain or freezing gales, I, your humble servant, shall accompany you until the end.

Then she turned, closed the doors to the inner chamber and left.


When Yuer woke up for the second time, he had the strangest sense of lucidity. It was as if the cobwebs that had long dangled across the corners of his memories were suddenly swept off. He wondered if it was because of the previous shock he had or because of the invocation of his Light Echo, which had healing and soothing properties. Or was it, perhaps, a combination of both? Regardless of the reason, he was faced with the startling realization that he was well and truly back from the dead, or more correctly, he was back in…time.

He had no recollections of what happened after he died or where his soul went but he could clearly remember how he died, what led to his demise and the entirety of his previous lifetime. A certain smiling face flashed across his mind and Yuer's blood halted in his veins. Rage, so cold it could freeze a nation, coursed through his very bones. A savage, feral smile broke out on his otherwise expressionless face. If Sakina was to see him right now, she would run screaming to the closet Kumatani she could find and plead him to cajole out whatever evil spirit that had possessed her gentle, tender master.

Yuer unhurriedly carded a hand through the back of his hair, as if feeling for something. Whatever it was that he was looking for, he didn't find it. He looked neither surprised nor disappointed at the outcome. So instead, he retrieved his hand and arranged his countenance back into a smooth, gentle expression. The vicious smile on his face dropped as if it never appeared. He rose from the bed and leisurely strolled around his inner chamber as if he had the whole time in the world. His fingers meticulously brushed against every piece of furniture and every wall of the room. After a while, he strode toward the open window and patiently watched the dawn as it broke across the horizon. The hazy orange glow of the sunrise reflected across his impassive face and for a moment, his glittering blue eyes looked as if they were bathed in flames.

"Sakina."

The female servant conveniently appeared behind the sliding doors of his inner chamber.

"Yes, esteemed young master."

"Will the Dasi1 The official title of a noble clan head. and the Dasiri 2The official title of a Dasi's consort. Gender neutral.be home today?"

The young master had never called his sire and his sire's consort with their official titles before. In the past, he had always addressed the clan head as sire and the Dasiri as consort mother. Despite being startled at the sudden difference in her master's tone, Sakina didn't permit any change to her expression.

"No, esteemed young master. Esteemed Dasi will be attending court this early morning. He won't be home until late afternoon. Esteemed Dasiri had expressed her desire to stroll the Shefrin market today. She wishes to acquire new servants for the residence. She will likely depart after breakfast."

Yuer smiled. "Good. You and I have some trips to make today."

Sakina felt puzzled. Her young master never left the residence unless he absolutely had to. He enjoyed quiet and peace the most. Any errands he wished to run, she would naturally do it for him. Her young master felt somewhat...odd today. Truth to be told, he felt odd since yesterday's afternoon when he cried and vomited out of nowhere. And those strange words he whispered to her before falling asleep. Every time, she remembered the state of her young master back then, her heart would feel as if it was lodged in her throat. However, instead of voicing out any of her concerns, she inquired, "And breakfast? Does your esteemed self wish to take it as you usually do, in the clan dining hall? "

Her master glanced back at her and for a moment, Sakina was visibly taken aback by the unusually serene look on his face. Under the breaking dawn, his blue eyes shimmered like bottomless, sleeping water. For the first time in her life, Sakina could neither read his eyes nor feel his mood. When she was but six summers old, the shefrin merchants loaded her and her mother into a commercial ship from the Reniqia Isles all the way to the capital. At that time, she spent most of her days on the deck, squeezed between hundreds of other Shefrin children as she gazed into Grief Ocean. For many nights, the ship continued to slowly sail across that ocean's dark, deep waters. As her master's gaze remained fixed upon her, Sakina was once more reminded of that feeling of staring into blue, unfathomable depths.

"Tell them that I wish to sleep in today and will not join the Dasi and the Dasiri for breakfast." Yuer's voice sounded specially frosty."Once they are both gone, we will leave."

Sakina regained her composure and nodded. She was about to take her leave when she remembered to ask, "And what if the other servants report the matter to esteemed Dasiri?" The meaning in her tone wasn't by any means concealed.

"They won't because we will leave through the backdoor once it's deserted. We will return before either of their masters does. I will wear a hooded cloak and so will you. All you need to do is to arrange for a discreet, inconspicuous carriage, one without a crest or a sigil. Have it wait at the backdoor of the residence as soon the Dasi and the Dasiri depart."

Yuer walked to one of the few chests in his inner chamber. He fished out a small pouch and beckoned Sakina over with his hand. He placed several silver coins in her palm and said, "That should be enough for the driver and for any servants you might need to buy off." He, then, turned to another one of his chests and pulled out a pair of heavy and dark autumn cloaks. Yuer handed Sakina one of the two cloaks, "Put this on. Also, don't hesitate to use the silver if you have to. You don't need to hold on to it." The servant nodded, slipping the coins into the inner pocket-sleeve of her robes.

"Good, now run along and get us a carriage." Yuer pulled the cloak's big hood over Sakina's head, "Make sure no one recognizes you."

"Yes, esteemed young master. I won't take long." Sakina shot to the doors.

After his servant left, Yuer strode toward his clothing cabinet. He took several pieces of clothing and slipped behind the dressing screen. He was about to take off his upper undergarments when he felt a slight sensation of heat pulsing off of the back of his neck. The back of his neck was where the Alikana mark was engraved into his skin by the Mahatir. He touched the skin and noticed no abnormalities. The skin had no abrasions or callouses. When he pulled back his hand, it was clean, no smeared blood in sight, so no wounds. He stared into space. His mind working through his memories for any similar occurrences. He found none. The mark had never reacted this way before. He wondered if it was related to the unclear matter of his reincarnation. He decided to ignore it for now. However, as he was about put on his new tunic, the heat coming off the mark began to suddenly intensify.

Yuer started to think that he might not afford to ignore this one matter. So, he closed his eyes and began a simple routine of breath regulation. After ensuring his mental stability, he directed the currents of the Light Echo within him toward his mark. Then, he visualized a replica of his mark appearing on the back of his right hand. The momentary euphoria that was associated with the drawing of the Divine Echo coursed through him. Soon enough, the ecstatic feeling passed. A temporary, identical depiction of his true mark emerged across the skin of his hand.

Yuer froze. The many, fine little hairs on the back of his neck rose up. His Alikana mark had always contained two rings; the inner one was white for Light Echo, the outer one was green for Earth Echo. There had never been a third ring and certainly not an utterly black one. The Kumatani had always taught that marks are the Mahatir's blessing to her chosen children. According to the Sacred Records, those marks would never disappear, not even in death. They also would never change. Whichever blessing one was born with, it would forever remain the same.

Yuer stood rooted to his spot behind the dressing screen. The wheels of his mind turned over and over. There had never been a black Echo mark in the recorded history of the Semanian Empire. Of this matter, he was certain. After all, during his past life's early days in the palace, he was further educated by the best Reznali scholars. He was even taught Echo-Control by the Rahadi themselves. He knew that even Dark Echo marks were never black. They manifested in a dark tone of purple and they were fairly easy to identify. The pitch black color of this additional outer ring was something that no one had ever attested to seeing before in any public written record. This meant two things, either this type of Echo truly never existed before or that it did but someone, either the Reznali clan or the Zaradate Temple, did not want the world to know of it.

However, what truly worried Yuer the most in all of this was the fact that he had an unknown attribute of the Divine Echo coursing through him at this very moment. For a once-blessed person, meaning a Listener, or a twice-blessed one, meaning an Alikana-marked, not being able to exercise their Echo regularly is a disaster waiting to happen. Unexercised Echo was dangerous because it accumulated. If it continued to remain suppressed within a blessed's soul, eventually, it would erupt in the most violent and destructive of ways. Yuer was faced with a suppressed attribute of the Divine Echo that he had no knowledge of conjuring, exercising or controlling. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that soon enough, he would be living on numbered days.

Yuer let out a sharp, harsh laugh. The ugly sound resonated viciously inside the silent walls of the inner chamber. He lifted his face, boring his unkind gaze into the ceiling, "So this is your game? Give the pitiful mortal hope so that you can take it back the moment he believes it? You wish to toy with me? Is that it?"

He unconsciously slipped his hand into the back of his hair and began to claw at his own scalp. "No, you don't get to do this. I will not die just yet. You will not get rid of me just yet." The back of his scalp began to turn numb from the pain but Yuer was relentless. He kept scratching and scratching until blood started to ooze down his fingers, "I have many scores to settle and even if this whole thing turns out to be but a dream, I will still end it the way I wish to end it."

He froze for a moment then stared down, unseeingly, at his own bloodied hand. His usually soft-spoken voice took a chillingly dangerous tone, the kind which could grow thorns and daggers, "This Empire needs to collapse on its axis. Jarak Reznali, his father, his mother, his palace, his people, Naer Ayaseen, his Dasiri, his rotten blood…each and every one of them must burn first; they must burn and pay back what they owe me. I must be repaid. Yes. I must be repaid!"

Hot, angry tears flooded Yuer's vision. The lump which had formed within his throat since the moment he woke up to this new lifetime grew larger and larger. His chest ached as if it had jagged glass shards for ribs.

Anger…he was angry. He had forgotten what this felt like. He had forgotten what being alive felt like. Back then, even the feeling of suffering became this empty, blank drag of a thing. The more the world hurt him, the quieter he became. He became so quiet that even his very own being dissipated into silence. He had become a ghost; a husk of a dead, mute thing. But now, he could feel it all once again; the sting, the heat, the agony and the wailing of his once worn-out soul. The heat within the pain boiled and raged. Pain birthed anger and anger made his blood sing and dance within his veins. Anger, this armor of his, he would hold on to it until the debt that the world owed him was settled. By then, staying or leaving, none of that would matter anymore.

Yuer wiped his tears and the blood on his hand with his discarded old undergarments. He, then, put on a collar-long, black tunic with long, tight closed sleeves. The tunic stopped slightly past his knees, hiding underneath it a portion of matching tight-fitting pants. He offset the dark tones of his outfit with a slim golden sash belt. Lastly, Yuer slipped his feet into dark, knee-length leather boots and walked toward the copper basin of fresh water on his bedside table. He splashed his face with the shockingly cool water and dipped a small towel in the basin. He started to slowly clean away the blood around his wounded scalp. He did every wipe meticulously and with infinite patience as if the disturbing outburst he had just had never took place at all. His blue eyes were strangely clear, glinting with something sharp and cold.

After making sure that the wound was clean, Yuer invoked his Light Echo and applied a small heal to the gush. Lastly, he washed his hands one more time before wiping it dry with another towel.

Afterwards, Yuer walked to the bed and undid the covering. He rolled it several times until it began to resemble what might seem as a laying human form. He put the rolled covering on the bed and pulled several other coverings over it. He walked back several steps and stared at his handiwork. From his angle, it did look like someone, albeit a bit too skinny, might be sleeping on the bed. Good thing he had always had a scrawny and lanky stature so as long as no one drew close enough, they might be fooled. Next, he run to the chest from which he previously pulled the money pouch. He stuffed the small pouch into the pocket of his pants. After that, he went and made sure to shut the two windows within the room. Shutting the windows wasn't enough so he pulled at the dark silk curtains, draping them over both windows. He threw the dark cloak over his shoulders and surveyed the inner chamber one last time before quietly closing the doors behind him.

He touched the hood of his cloak closer to his face and took brisk, quick steps toward the backdoor of the residence. The backdoor was usually exclusive to the use of servants and at early morning, most servants were already busy in the western kitchen and scattered about the different courtyards. No one paid specific attention to who came and went through this door. Soon enough, Yuer reached his destination without any accidents. He immediately noticed that the assigned guard was nowhere to be seen and thought that Sakina might have something to do with his convenient absence. He glanced to his left and then to his right before swiftly slipping away through the ajar backdoor.

The moment he stepped a foot outside the Ayaseen residence, Yuer felt that he could breath easier. He squinted his eyes at the open, clear autumn sky and smiled.

Yes, Esteemed Malhada. You just sit tight in your golden seat of honor and wait. Flesh for blood. A face for an eye. In this lifetime, I shall sink your sun to where it can never rise again and the days to come shall bear witness to that.

Yuer walked some distance away from the outer walls of the residence and waited.

  

13