Chapter Twenty-Three: Black Scales and Blue Eyes
358 10 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So, about that emotional chapter I mentioned. I had to rearrange the order of certain scenes for the sake of the plot. So, that scene ended up being as the scheduled next chapter instead of this one. This one still takes place during the Bonding Ceremony and it will be the last chapter in this setting. It is long, over 5k words and it is mostly dialogue, a lot of dialogue. So, enjoy your read :)

The moment the Tewekaga declared their bonding to be set in stone, the entire hall, excluding Jarak, bowed to Ivak and Yuer and in one powerful voice, they congratulated the newly bonded pair, “Congratulations to Exalted One and His Second Highness! May your union be long, blessed and happy!”

Yuer acknowledged the audience’s congratulatory words with a graceful smile and a light nod. He then grabbed Ivak’s hand and walked with him down the grand altar and across the floor of the praying hall.

A pair of male Kumatani came up to him and Ivak and offered their well-meaning wishes personally which Yuer returned with a polite word or two. Then five more Kumatani joined them and their small group of seven became ten then twenty and later thirty. In their feverish enthusiasm to meet and exchange words with him, the thirty Kumatani or so began to talk over each other.

Soon enough, the Dasrari youth found himself surrounded by nearly half the hall. He pursed his lips slightly and glanced at Ivak, who was standing next to him. A glistening sheen of sweat could be seen over the black-haired Reznal’s hairline while his face began to pale at a visible rate.

A servant passed by with a tray full of wine cups and Ivak didn’t hesitate to snatch one. He chugged the wine down his throat in one gulp, almost like a thirsty man stumbling upon an oasis in the Na’bian desert. He aggressively wiped his mouth with his palm. His hand which held the empty cup tightened around it, the skin around his knuckles turned white with the force of his grip.

“Here, I will take it off your hand.” Yuer spoke softly to Ivak and the latter’s gaze snapped to him. The silver in his eyes had darkened to a turbulent gray.

He looks like a caged tiger. I must get him away from here.

Yuer extended his hand toward him and the older youth passed him the cup. A tight smile broke across his uneasy face, a hint of apology in it, “Thank you.”

Yuer returned it with a knowing half-smile, “No need to thank me. How about you accompany me to speak to His Holiness?”

“Of course.”

Yuer linked his arm with Ivak’s and guided him away from the crowd to a more secluded area near the far right of the hall.

The moment they were no longer within earshot of the Kumatani, Ivak let out a breathy chuckle as he played with the cuffs of his tunic’s collar, “I understand this is my own bonding ceremony but crowds such as these had always been a personal nemesis of mine. For that I apologize.”

Yuer quirked a fine brown eyebrow, “Why would you apologize? It is what it is.” His gaze grew deeper as it tracked to the empty cup in his hand, “I guess I should have realized it then.”

Ivak titled his head, “Then?”

Yuer nodded, “I meant at the harem Selection. Back then when we were walking among the Dasrari, your back was stiff I feared it might break. I rationalized your discomfort as you being among potential enemies but now, even among potential allies, you still feel uneasy.”

Ivak was visibly taken aback by Yuer’s perceptiveness but perhaps feeling that there was no need for him to hold back his honest thoughts, he opened up, “Unlike my brothers, I didn’t grow up on this.” His gaze swept across the teeming hall as he continued, “I mean on social gatherings of such magnitudes, on social eloquence and diplomacy. I always feel out of my depths and overwhelmed in such settings. Breathing also gets a little harder. I had this issue since I was a child.”

Yuer probed in a gentle tone, “Was it before or after your uncle passed away?”

Ivak let out a deep breath, “Both but it got worse after he passed away. For the first two times I came to the Palace, he had always been by my side which made this issue not that noticeable. At twelve summers of age, I had to come to capital on my own for the very first time. It was during the Rezas’s birthday feast. The experience was…painful. Since then, whenever I am in a similarly crowded and enclosed place, the discomfort always comes back. ”

“Was it because you had to experience what it felt like to be ostracized openly by your own kin?”

Ivak let out a shaky chuckle, “Oh yes, the Rezas ignored me the entire banquet, not once did he call for me, not even to congratulate him. My brothers kept their distance, leashed to their mothers’ seats while the rest of the Reznali clan whispered and snickered among themselves. They made it seem as if their voices weren’t loud enough to reach my ears but I could hear every single word. They mocked my attire, my scars and of course, they had to remind me of the shefrin blood I had in me; a Reznali that isn’t quite a Reznali. Black-scales, they called me. In their eyes, I was a disgrace to the dynasty, a mutt of filthy blood. They just couldn’t say it openly for fear of insulting the Rezas who begot me. Not that he would have cared anyhow.”

Yuer snorted derisively as he tacked a hair behind his ear, “It is quite funny, a pack of filthy old hyenas ganging up on a mere child. Seeing the amount of fuss they made about it, one would think no Reznal has ever been born of a shefrin womb before. Since the dawn of the Reznali dynasty, Rezases had a thing for sticking their dicks in whoever they pleased, consequences be damned. You aren’t the first nor the last Reznal to be born from a nameless mother. It doesn’t make you less of who you are. You will always have a legitimate claim to the Semani throne and no amount of childish slandering can change that fact.”

Ivak laughed low; the sound no longer as strained as before, “You seem to have forgotten another finer point, my sweetness. After all, I am deemed a demon child for not dying in the fire. They say the whole tower was burned down to the ground and all the corpses were charred black, except for me: A month-old babe crying atop ash and blackened rubble, unharmed save for a half-burnt face.”

Yuer turned to Ivak, stopping the latter in his tracks. He stretched his hand toward the collar of the Reznal’s tunic and began to fix the askew buttons in practiced and smooth motions. In a hushed voice that was loud enough for Ivak’s ear, Yuer expressed, “Had your birth mother been a Dasrari daughter or a princess from some other land, you would have been hailed a divine child protected by the Holy Mother herself but because she was neither, you became a demon one. How fitting I must say. You were but a babe and the political gears had already started to turn in the Reznali court. If you ask me, Ariath Tarand must have had her hand in this matter. You have to understand, you were the Rezas’s second child and a son at that. She had every reason to feel threatened. Demonizing you, who could neither speak nor defend himself, was an easy thing to do.”

Ivak’s eyes swept across Yuer’s face, a look of something most akin to admiration flashed through their storm-colored depths. In an especially husky voice, he let out, “You are incredible. I have never met someone who could see the Reznali as clearly yet as negatively as you do. It is almost as if you have lived among them.”

But I did, for seven years at that. Yuer squashed the thought and instead said, “Let’s just say I have a certain gift for reading people. It makes one especially good at board games.”

Ivak raised an eyebrow, “board games?”

“Yes, board games. That is essentially what Reznali politics are, my dear bonded.” Yuer said as he finished fixing the black-haired youth’s collar. He adjusted the fur ceremonial mantle over his bonded’s shoulders and retreated. Offhandedly he added, “And about those old Reznali hyenas, if one day you became Rezas, you could always have their necks cut down. I wouldn’t object to such policy.”

Ivak’s silver eyes slightly widened before they creased in what appeared to be genuine mirth, “Of course. I could always do that.”

Yuer watched him for a moment. He thinks it a joke, the idea of becoming Rezas. It must seem like a joke to him right now but it won’t be so in the near future.

With a sharp smile, Yuer slightly tightened his grip around Ivak’s arm as they continued on in their path toward the Tewekaga.

Yuer and Ivak conversed for a short while with the elderly man before excusing themselves. Before leaving however, Yuer made it as if he was holding the Tewekaga’s hand and slipped a note into it which he hid in his ceremonial robes’ sleeve. The elderly man pinned him with a meaningful look and Yuer merely smiled in return, pretending nothing was going on. The elderly man must have understood his intentions because he didn’t openly comment on what happened and simply bid them farewell.

As Yuer and Ivak made it to the other side of the hall where the guests’ area was located, Ivak quietly spoke up, “What was it that you handed him?”

Yuer glanced at him, mentally congratulating his bonded on his sharp eyes. “So, you have noticed. Nothing much, just a note for him to lend me one of the Kumatani.”

“You mean for our stay in the capital?” asked Ivak.

“No, he will travel with us to Kersa.”

Ivak frowned, a hint of confusion leaked through his voice, “And what for?”

“For many, many reasons. Our journey to Kersa will be long. I will explain each and every one of them to you on the way.” A cold smile hung around Yuer’s mouth as he added, “Now let us go and play civil with some unpleasant faces. After that, we can be off on our way. What say you, bonded of mine?”

Ivak untangled his arm from Yuer’s hold and instead snaked it around his waist. His eyes brightened with a mischievous light as he said, “After you, my sweetness.”


Yuer and Ivak were exchanging pleasantries with Iselva when their conversation was interrupted by a certain bonded Dasrari pair.

As if genuinely pleased at seeing them, Yuer turned to the pair and greeted them in a warm voice that invoked the imagery of melted sugar, “my dear sire, my dear consort mother. Thank you for accompanying me so far.”

With a stiff smile that barely contained his discomfort, Naer played along, “It is our duty as your parents to see you off in this momentous day. After all, it’s not every day that I have to give away my youngest child in bonding.”

“Indeed.” quipped Ivak in an amicable tone that was about as sincere as Yuer’s, “For that, I must thank sire-in-law. I vow to take good care of Yuer and to cherish him for as long as I live. You needn’t worry any longer for his well-being.”

Akra, who was far more adept at playing the game of faces, lifted her rouged lips a in graceful smile that betrayed none of what she truly felt, “I guess no matter how much you love and care for them, children would always end up leaving their parents’ nest. I am both saddened and gladdened to see you spread your wings, my dear Yuer.”

Yuer’s smiling lips stretched a touch wider, “I owe it all to consort mother. You had raised me well and now, I can fearlessly spread my wings and embrace on a new journey in my life. Everything that you had taught me will be put to good use. Of that I promise you, dear mother.”

Akra’s eyebrows slightly trembled, “Of course. What are we mothers but temporary teachers of life for our beloved children? Don’t you think so Your Second Highness?”

Before Ivak could answer, Akra gasped and held a hand to her mouth, “How insensitive of me! You must forgive me Your Second Highness. It wasn’t my intention to remind you of your departed beloved mother.”

Whatever reaction she hoped to steer up in Ivak, Akra was sorely disappointed for she received none. Ivak, who appeared perfectly unbothered by her thinly veiled jab, merely said, “You needn’t apologize, dear consort mother-in-law. I’m sure my mother’s soul which is currently roaming the Nrai must be overjoyed for me. After all shouldn’t every mother be overjoyed for her child’s bonding?”

“Indeed. It’s the biggest joy of every mother to see her child grow up and start a family of their own. Isn’t it so, esteemed Ayaseen Dasiri?” A smooth male voice interjected from behind Akra.

Everyone’s gaze unconsciously tracked to the owner of that voice and the strained atmosphere between the different parties present grew even tenser.

Akra and Naer rushed to greet the newcomer, “Blessed greetings upon esteemed Malhada.”

Yuer merely nodded as a way of greeting while Ivak remained where he was, not bothering to offer any display of courtesy.

“You are now the in-laws of my dear younger brother which also makes you family. So please lift your heads. There is no need for such formalities between family.” The benign smile on Jarak’s face didn’t faltered once as he pinned his gaze upon Ivak, “Isn’t it so, beloved brother?”

Ivak’s expression was eerily impassive as he replied, “It is indeed so, beloved eldest brother.”

Jarak’s smile grew brighter. He changed the topic continuing to address Ivak in that sickly smooth and gentle tone of his, “Imperial sire sends his congratulations. He told me to relay his apology to you for not attending personally. The revolt wreaking havoc in the Mevadi principality is keeping Imperial sire very busy lately. I hope you understand.”

Ivak’s impassive expression was ultimately broken by a dry smile that failed to hide his derision, “Of course, I do understand. His Imperial Majesty has better things to do that attend the bonding of an unfavored son he never cared about. National affairs would naturally take precedence.”

Suddenly, an unnatural lull fell over the conversation. Iselva and Akra tactfully shifted their gazes away, feigning interest in the marbled flooring of the hall while Naer conveniently hid a smile behind his hand.

Jarak’s ice-colored eyes glinted with a hint of satisfaction. Yuer, who had been so far silently observing the charade of familiar affection between the two brothers, stepped up. “For esteemed Malhada to grace our bonding ceremony personally, it is the same as having the shadow of his Imperial Majesty be cast upon this blessed praying hall. His Second Highness and I are truly thankful for esteemed Malhada’s thoughtfulness. Please, relay our sincere gratitude to his Imperial Majesty.”

Jarak’s light blue eyes which were fixated on Ivak, shifted. His self-satisfied smirk dimmed slightly as he looked as Yuer, “It shall be received, Exalted One.” He paused for a moment before adding through a chuckle, “Where are my manners? How embarrassing. I forgot to congratulate you. Congratulations to you both, may your bonding be long, blessed and happy.”

Yuer smiled lightly as he tactfully said, “I thank you on behalf of myself and my bonded, esteemed Malhada.”

Jarak must have caught on quickly to Yuer’s well-maneuvered tactics at blocking him from aggravating Ivak. In a manner of retaliation, he requested something none of the four other people present expected, “Exalted One, may you walk with me for a moment?”

Instantly, Ivak’s grip around Yuer’s waist tightened protectively. Yuer glanced at his bonded, his eyes drawn to the bulging veins on his temple and the vicious lock of his jaw.

He is furious.

Yuer didn’t hesitate. He stood on his tiptoes and placed a small kiss on the lower side of Ivak’s jawline. With a voice that had dropped to mere whisper, he said, “Don’t worry. He won’t dare to hurt me, not on Temple ground and not under the eyes of the Tewekaga. He is not that stupid.”

With visible difficulty, Ivak snatched his blazing gaze away from Jarak’s smug-looking face and buried his face in the crook between Yuer’s shoulder and neck. In a gravelly low voice that brooked no argument, he whispered back, “You will remain within the hall and not leave my eyesight for moment.”

A small genuine smile blossomed across Yuer’s face as he stroke his fingers through Ivak’s black hair. “I won’t. I promise.”

Ivak nodded against Yuer’s neck and with a deep breath that shuddered through his big figure, he stepped back. His gaze still heatedly lingered on his bonded, as if refusing to let him go.

Yuer silently mouthed to him once more, “I promise.”

Ivak swallowed then nodded his head once more.

Jarak must have found the whole scene amusing because he laughed quietly as he looked at Yuer, “After you, Exalted One.”

Yuer flashed the blond Malhada a fleeting smile before walking forward. He didn’t need someone else to tell him but he could already feel Ivak’s intense gaze boring into his back. Instead of annoying him however, it gave him a surge of something, something warm and uplifting, something between confidence and reassurance.


Once they were far enough from the rest of the attendees, Jarak started with a tone that didn’t veil his sarcasm, “He is a weird one, my younger brother. Isn’t he? You have been bonded to him for less than a candle-hour and he is already possessive of you. It is funny yet pathetic to be that starved for affection. Did you say how he glared at me?” He chuckled, “I thought for a moment he would lose his composure and come at me. It would have been fun to see.”

“I believe it is better for one to be starved for affection than to be starved for other things.” Yuer smiled sharply, “like humanity and decency for example.”

Jarak halted a moment in his steps before bursting in laughter, “You know, I truly enjoy talking to you. You don’t sugarcoat things and you seem to be set on going for my jugular. It is different from the usual bootlicking, I love it.”

“I am glad to be of entertainment value to esteemed Malhada.”

“Entertaining.” mused Jarak, “Hmm, I would think you are more than just that. In fact, you and I could have been a great match. So, it truly pains me that you didn’t choose me. Truth to be told, for the past few nights, I have been racking my brain trying to understand why you would choose him over me and I still fail to find one single proper reason.”

Yuer quirked an eyebrow, a mysterious small smile painted across his lips, “Why? Couldn’t I have fallen for him? Isn’t that reason enough?”

Jarak deadpanned, the mirth snuffed out of his tone.“That’s not possible. You have never met him before.”

“Oh? And how do you know that for sure?”

Jarak didn’t speak and merely continued to stare ahead.

Yuer chuckled, “Ah, of course. Do the hounds of my dear parents also tell you what I eat and when I sleep too?”

Jarak threw him a sharp glance, “You are definitely smarter than I had previously given you credit for. And to answer your question, no, not to that extent but still, they do tell me enough.”

Yuer cocked his head to the side slightly, “Did they also tell you that your courting tactics are a touch outdated? Did you seriously think a couple of rare Firebirds, a box or two of useless trinkets and some dozen silk bolts every now and then were enough to make me wish to bond you? I am Dasrari born, Jarak. No matter how sheltered I am, you cannot possibly expect me to be that naive.”

Jarak admitted, “Indeed. It was my mistake. Now, I am wondering what more I should have done to win you over.”

“Nothing. Nothing you could have done would have made you ‘win’ me over.” declared Yuer in a hard tone that left no room for uncertainties.

Jarak couldn’t help but frown, sensing the deep-seated hostility in Yuer’s voice. “But why? You seem to dislike me so deeply and for the life of me, I cannot understand the reason behind such hostility. When have I ever wronged you, Yuer Ayaseen?”

But you have, you have done something far worse than ‘wronging’ me and you did it for a lifetime.

Yuer laughed bitterly, “Oh no, you haven’t wronged me at all, esteemed Malhada. It is merely a matter of personal taste. Now that you have mentioned it, it must be the blond hair. I abhor blonds. So, I apologize I cannot spend the rest of my life with one.”

Jarak’s eyes instantly widened. They stared at Yuer unblinkingly as if not knowing where else to look. A moment later, a booming heartfelt laugh that seemed to come from the very depth of his chest tumbled out of Jarak’s mouth. His light blue eyes were so full of what appeared as genuine mirth that they resembled crescents.

Looking at his warm expression, Yuer could understand why some people get swept by Jarak’s good looks and fell for his stellar play at being human.

At last, the blond Malhada managed to suppress his delight and playfully carded a hand through his own sun-colored strands, “Should I dye it then? But I guess it is a bit too late for that now, isn’t it?”

“Yes indeed, it is too late for that.”

Almost as if it had all been a mere illusion, all traces of merriness evaporated from Jarak’s face in an instance. In a cold and dangerous voice, he repeated his earlier question, “Why him?”

The Dasrari youth wasn’t surprised in the least by the blond’s erratic mood swings. After all, this was Jarak who was a tragically apathetic and empty man and Yuer knew him very very well. With his masterful perfecting of human emotions, Jarak could fool the whole world but he could never fool him.

Yuer calmly retorted, “And why are you fixed on such a thought? Shouldn’t you be dancing around and clapping that I didn’t bond Sinrad? Wouldn’t you have then ended up with a contender for the throne with the backing of both an allied kingdom and the Temple? And how about Mayir? He might not have much in the way of a future monarch but his maternal grandfather certainly does.”

“Sinrad and Mayir were never an issue.” Jarak’s voice was light, his tone carrying his certainty of the fact.

“And Ivak with an ailing fiefdom that has no backing out in the desolate far north is?”

The Malhada’s gaze fell upon Yuer and stayed there for a period. Then in a perfectly neutral tone, he said, “I suppose you find my guarding against him irrational and needlessly paranoid but I believe I never claimed to be the logical kind, have I?”

“You might have not but you are never the illogical sort. You don’t do things without a reason. It doesn’t matter what reason it is as long as it holds true in your eyes.”

A light smile danced across Jarak’s lips, contrasting the gravity of his gaze, “Oh my, don’t you know me quite well?”

The half-lie escaped Yuer’s mouth smoothly, without a hitch. “I guess you have to blame my consort mother for that. She gashes about you often, so often in fact that it made me believe I actually know you.”

The blond snorted, not bothering to hide the disdain he held for the Ayaseen clan, “How very kind of the Ayaseen Dasiri. I never realized she was that fond of me.”

“Oh yes but she is, quite so in fact. However both you and I know what is truly fond of.”

“Meaning?”

“You know, the position of Left Hand you promised her bonded once you ascended the throne?”

“I never promised such a thing.” clarified Jarak with a smile that might have and might have not existed.

Yuer let out a low, controlled laugh, “She seems to believe otherwise.”

“I care not what she believes.” The Malhada paused for a moment and like a hound with a bone, he asked for the third time. “So, why Ivak?”

Yuer didn’t give him the satisfaction of an answer and merely countered, “And why not?”

A lull fell over their conversation, broken by an unexpected question from Jarak, “Do you believe in prophecies, Exalted One?”

“Prophecies? Made by whom? All Seers are dead, so who is left around to spread them? Unless, you are speaking of those charlatans in the Market District claiming to know the workings of the Holy Mother.”

Jarak answered, his eyes covered in a strange hint of haze. “No, it was a blindfolded elderly woman from the wandering tribes of the Na’bian desert. She came to the capital back when I was about ten summers of age. She prostrated herself before the entrance gates and she kept whining about not having anything to feed her dog. I was about to leave for the Market District when I found her there. The guards told me she had been sitting there for nearly a candle-hour begging for food for her animal. Her voice annoyed me so I threw her what snacks I had in my sash’s inner pocket.”

“And?” Yuer couldn’t wait to see where this was going.

“And she told me something interesting, something so interesting in fact I couldn’t forget to this day.”

“Which is?”

As if he was talking about the fate of an absolute stranger instead of that of himself, Jarak answered in an eerily flat tone, “She told me how I will die.”

Yuer couldn’t help the dry chuckle that escaped his lips. This whole conversation was getting funnier by the moment. “And let me guess, did she tell you will die by Ivak’s hands?”

“Indeed she did. She told me I will have my head severed by the black-scaled one the day the Dawaha swallows the sun.”

And here it is; this sick bastard’s infamous self-obsession.

Yuer reasoned in a voice that didn’t mask his mockery, “You do realize that is just a spiteful nickname the Dasrari and the common-born gave Ivak due to his disfigured face, don’t you?”

“Yes, it might be or it might not be.” Jarak’s eyes snapped to Yuer, his flawless face was twisted in an expression so ugly no one would ever believe the gentle Malhada to be capable of putting on. “That is why I have told you at the harem Selection that you made your gravest mistake in choosing him. You can call me a disillusioned fool or even a mad one, but it won’t change the fact that I am never letting him go. I will not rest until I wipe him off the face of this land. You do understand my meaning, don’t you?”

“Perfectly.” returned Yuer with a sharp, edge-like smile. “It appears you and I aren’t meant to be friends in this lifetime. How tragic.”

Yuer however didn’t stop there. With a gaze as equally icy as his voice, he spoke up, “But there is something you have to keep in mind, esteemed Malhada. If you dare to harm Ivak, you won’t have to worry about the black-scaled one anymore because I will be the one who will gladly send you off to the Nrai.”

“Bold words.” chuckled Jarak.

“Bold words, indeed. Whether you choose to believe them or not, it is up to you.” Yuer turned to Jarak and offhandedly remarked, “I can’t say this was a pleasant conversation because it is difficult to find anything pleasant about you. However, it had been an informative one. Now, you have to excuse me, esteemed Malhada. I have to get back to my bonded. Time is a precious, priceless thing. It is better spent on people one actually likes. Don’t you think so?”

Yuer didn’t bother to linger about and see Jarak’s reaction. He simply span around and left. The tail of his gold-trimmed white robes dragged behind him like a wing, highlighting the natural dignity and graceful poise of his movement.

Jarak remained rooted to his spot as he watched that beautiful figure leave. His eyes followed its owner across the hall, like a famished beast eyeing a morsel of fresh meat.

You were supposed to be a timid, naive little songbird whose job is to sing when I tell it to and look good perched on my shoulder. Turns out I am the naive one for underestimating you. Now the sword has a sturdy sheath because of my oversight. But this is merely the first round.

Yuer Ayaseen, we shall see who will laugh last.

Jarak ticked his tongue and retreated behind one of the gigantic pillars of the praying hall, seeking cover underneath the archway’s shade. “What did you see?”

Dark purple mist seeped out of the shadows and a male black-clad figure materialized from within it, “Nothing, Your Highness.”

As expected. Light Listeners are naturally resilient to Dark Echo but even for Ishul, a high-level Dark Listener not to be able to probe into Yuer’s mind. It seems someone has been lying about their Light Echo level.

It was…most peculiar, Your Highness.”

“What do you mean?” Jarak frowned as he noticed the sweat pooling over Ishul’s forehead. “And why do you look so pale?”

In a tight voice that failed to hide his pained state, Ishul elaborated, “The moment my Dark Echo reached out to Exalted One, something within him reacted. Whatever it was, it felt as if it was trying to aggressively suck my Echo in. A sense of imminent threat engulfed my consciousness and I instinctively withdrew.”

Jarak pondered for a moment before saying, “Light Echo doesn’t behave in such a way.”

“No, it doesn’t. Not even high-level Light Echo, Your Highness.” confirmed Ishul with a pinched face.

Jarak leaned his back against the closest wall. A dangerous light glinted within his icy gaze, “Looks like someone is keeping more than on secret to themselves.” He called out to his subordinate, “Ishul.”

“Yes, esteemed Malhada.”

“Pay our associate at the Undercity a visit and tell him there had been a change of plans. He must speed things up. There is no more time to waste.”

“As you wish, Your Highness.”

The dark mist evaporated in an instant and the black-clad man disappeared as if he had never taken form in the first place. Jarak swept his gaze across the teeming hall one last time before striding his way toward the entrance doors.

It was time for him to leave for he had many things to ponder over and recalculate. Also, the itch was already coming back and he wondered what kind of game he would feel like playing with tonight’s prey. Lately, he had grown awfully bored of daggers, whips and chains. Maybe, he could go for something different tonight. He could call for a male young thing, one preferably with a slight build, brown hair and blue eyes. He could take his time, leisurely gouging his eyes out. Afterwards, he might even keep them as a souvenir of sorts. He wasn’t sure how long it would take him to get his hands on the real thing. But it didn’t matter, he would get it eventually like he usually did with all the things he wanted.

With such thoughts, Jarak left the Temple and melted into the dark of the night.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Any comments will be welcome. Your feedback is invaluable to me and gives me the boost I need to write more and improve the story. I don't know when I will post the next chapter exactly but it will definitely be this week.

My current schedule seems to be two long chapters a week which is good for the quality of the writing. I might do a third one if I feel specially productive. Daily updates are out of the question for me and I truly salute and envy those amazing folk who could write, edit and publish over 2k words chapters every day. Stay safe and until next time, my beloved readers <3

11