Just Between Friends
189 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Kei isn't answering my calls or texts," Daichi informed his friends and then placed his cellphone on the table. 

Hideo sighed. "Well, we've been waiting almost thirty minutes. Should we just get started?"

"But what if something happened to him?" Yuuta worried, pulling out his own phone to try and contact the missing teammate.

"Yuuta, put your phone away," Akio said in a dry tone. "I'm hungry now. Let's eat."

"Yes, let's order now," Jiki agreed. "I'm fucking starving."

"It's just odd. Kei is punctual and responsible. If he couldn't show, I'm sure he would've reached out to one of us. Meeting here has been our tradition since middle school. He's never miss--" 

"Daichi, stop," Akio curtly interrupted. "Don't let his absence ruin our night. We won our first University level competition. Let's celebrate." 

"Right," Daichi conceded. 

Water was delivered to the table and the group casually conversed while looking over their menus.

"They've changed the decor," Yuuta, pointed out, admiring the deep forest green color of the embroidered curtains. He glanced up at the matching round paper lanterns that hung from the ceiling above every booth and wooden table. 

"Yeah, it was pretty boring before," Jiki remarked while touching the bamboo centerpiece on their table. "Seems like business has picked up too. It's busy tonight."

The waiter showed up, took every order at the table, and then went on his way to other patrons that were waiting for their orders to be taken.

Jiki placed his elbow on the table and then propped up his chin.  "So, when are we doing your stupid activity, Akio?"

"After we eat," Akio smiled.

"Alright, I'll be right back. Bathroom," Jiki announced before climbing over Akio so that he could exit the booth.

Daichi's phone started to vibrate on the table. He grabbed it noticing that he received a text from Kei. He read the message and then said, "Ah, Kei is sick. He says he's sorry he didn't message back sooner."

"He's sick…" Akio repeated slowly."I'm going to bring him back some food."

"Good idea," Hideo agreed.

"Kei loves the Tonkotsu ramen here, so that's what I'll get for him."

"You're always looking out for that boy, Akio," said Daichi before taking a sip from his water. 

"He would do the same for me." 

"I wish I had a friendship like that," Yuuta mused. "I mean I know I can rely on you guys but it would be cool to have a lifetime best friend."

Jiki returned to the table and shortly after their meals arrived. 

As soon as the food hit the table, the boys dug into it with ravenous hunger. Tumbling had taken its physical toll on the team, so eating was serious business. The rich flavours burst across their tongues, and all that could be heard from the table was the occasional hum of approval and satiation.

Akio was the first to finally say something during the meal. "Anyone want to try some of mine?"

Jiki licked his lips and said, "Sure."

With his chopsticks in hand, Akio fed Jiki a piece of fried chicken from his ramen bowl.

His eyes rolled back, thoroughly enjoying the tender piece of meat. 

"Gross, you look like you're gonna nut," Hideo teased, swirling noodles around his chopsticks before inhaling them.  

Daichi grimaced and glanced at Hideo through his side bangs. "Dude, I don't need to visualize that while I'm eating."

"I never told you to visualize it."

"Akio, can I try some too?" Yuuta asked in his soft voice. "You can try some of mine."

"Sure." 

The two exchanged food with their utensils, which prompted everyone else at the table to start sharing their food as well. 

"This tastes so nostalgic," Daichi murmured before finishing off his ramen.

Jiki grinned. "Yeah, being here brings me back to so many memories with you idiots."

"Shall we get started with the message boards?" Akio asked, looking around the table to make sure everyone was ready and in agreement. He reached for a large pink gift bag that sat beside him and began to pass out the five sheets of construction paper to whom it belonged to. Each paper had five sticky notes with written messages from each member of the team.

"What are we doing with Kei's message board, Akio?" Yuuta inquired.

"I'll give it to him later. Anyway, let's start. As always, the objective is to figure out who wrote you each message. Daichi why don't you read yours first."

"Sure." Daichi read the first message to himself first and grinned before reading it out loud. "Daichi, I've really noticed this year especially that I can always depend on you. You always have such a fresh and unique perspective on everything and I wish I were as half as cool you are. Your taste in music is 10/10 thank you for introducing me to so many cool songs. I also really like your hairstyle this year. What color are you going to dye it next?" He glanced around the table, looking at each member before replying. "This is too easy."

"Who is it from then?" Jiki smirked.

"Well it's not from you. The handwriting isn't garbage."

"I resent that comment."

"It's from Yuuta. Am I right?"

Yuuta grinned and nodded. "You got it, haha."

"And to answer your question, As much as I like this deep red color, I think I'm going to dye it sky blue next. I appreciate your kind words, Yuuta. I'll read the next one. "You're a lot less ugly than you used to be. Hashtag the glowup continues." Okay whatever Jiki, asshole."

Jiki, Akio and Hideo chuckled softly.

"I love how you just know it was Jiki instantly," Akio laughed.

"No one else would say something so backhanded. Anyways, the next one says, "I'm proud to call you a friend, D.You're wise and sometimes the things you say are hard to hear but I still need to hear them. I appreciate your honesty. Last year broke me down to my lowest point and you told me that my failures were not fatal and to hold my head up and look at the world straight in the eyes. I really felt those words. I love you, bro." Daichi smiled and wrapped his arm around Hideo and said, "Love you too."

"Aw Hide, so sentimental," Akio complimented.

"Yeah so nice," Yuuta added.

"Of course, he's my guy." 

"Okay so the next one says, "I've learned many valuable lessons from you. But recently as I watched you go through your break up, I learned that often we feel that holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it's letting go."

"Damn, that's pretty deep," Hideo commented. "Who is that woke and wise among us?"

"Kei," Daichi, Yuuta, and Jiki said in unison.

"I disagree. He's actually pretty naive in my opinion," Akio stated.

"We should go visit him after this," said Yuuta. Everyone but Akio nodded in agreement.

"Okay well obvious the last one is Akio's. It says, "I know you have many talents. I was stunned when I first heard your singing voice... but if you ever leave our group to pursue music I will end you."

"I second that statement," Hideo added. "I will help him end you."

"I will never abandon you guys. I love gymnastics too much. Thank you for the kind words everyone."

"Jiki do you want to read yours next," asked Akio.

"Sure," he rolled his eyes. "First one says, "Jiki the king of freestyle gymnastics. I'm excited for your solo in the gym showcase coming up. You're going to kill it." This one could be anyone but it's not soft enough for Kei or Yuuta… or even Daichi. So it's either Akio or Hideo. They called me the "King of freestyle." I like that."

"Which one then?" Daichi asked.

"Akio?" 

"Yeah, you are correct," Akio smiled.   

"Next one, "I admire your drive and the pride and effort you put towards your health and fitness. I don't know many people who wake up as early as you to workout. Try to remember you won't die from eating a slice of cake." Ah, this one is from mother, Daichi. These are too easy this year."

"I think it's because we know each other too well," Daichi pointed out.

"Next, " You're a strong base and a strong person. I remember being so scared when I found out that you were going to be my base. Of course you gave me a hard time because you're you... but you keep me on my toes and I promise to work harder and be a better gymnastics partner to you." From Piggy of course." Jiki glanced at Yuuta. "You better work harder."

Yuuta nodded giving him a shy smile.

Jiki grinned as he read the next one." It says, "Sigh..." I don't even need to guess. I think we all know who this is from."

Akio grimaced in annoyance. "Hideo, couldn't you have been more creative?"

"Sighing is our thing!" Hideo stated. "There is nothing more sentimental I could've said!"

"Oh my god," Akio groaned. "How is sighing whenever you see an attractive woman sentimental?!"

"Well, because Jiki and I do it together. We have sighed to some pretty attractive girls!"

"So stupid." Akio said, slapping his forehead.

"I'll read Kei's now, "I know you're blunt because you care. I know that you're afraid to show weakness and that you put up walls to protect yourself. You are self sufficient and independent, but know that if you ever feel lonely or need someone to talk to... I'm here." 

"That boy is so sweet,"  Hideo mused.

"And pure," Yuuta added.

"He really put some thought into these messages," mentioned Daichi.

The group continued to muse about Kei and something about their statements were beginning to bother Akio. In his mind how could someone so sweet, pure and wise do something something as stupid as what Kei did to their friendship. 

"I'll go next," Hideo said, holding his paper into the light so he could see the messages better. "Okay, the first says, "Your laughter is one of my favorite sounds. How are you so charismatic and fun?" Damn, I actually don't know who this is, but it makes me feel good. Maybe I should do a workshop on charisma."

"Just guess," Akio groaned.

Hideo took a moment to think. Overdramatically rubbing his chin,"Yuuta, is that you?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's me," Yuuta grinned.

"Easy game! Next one says, "I vividly remember our experience at the inter-high championships last year. We practiced until three in the morning the day before because of our complicated routine (thanks Akio). At the competition your jokes and lighthearted attitude really improved everyone's mood. Thanks for being the sunshine of the group. Especially when you were doing through a dark time in your personal life. It takes a special kind of person to set their own sadness aside and bring smiles and laughter to those around you." Thank you Daichi."

"No problem, you deserve nice compliments."

"Well this is from Jiki." He pulled the sticky note off the paper so the others could see it. 

"Sigh…" said Daichi, reading the one word message.

 Hideo reached over the table to give Jiki a high-five. Their hands connected loudly, gaining a few stares from other tables.

Akio covered his face. 

"Great minds think alike," Jiki laughed.

"Sit down, Hideo," Akio chided.

"Okay, okay next one, "Hello goofy. I love how you're always so quick to take initiative. When Yuuta joined our team you worked really hard to make him feel welcomed. I thought that was so nice. Stay awesome :)." Well it isn't sappy enough to be Kei. Thank you, Aki"

"No problem."

"Finally, Kei's message, "I love the stories you tell. You have this special power in your words that heals tension and brings people together." A man after my heart. What a cutie, I'm gonna give him a smooch later."

"Yuuta, your turn," Akio said.

"Okay." Yuuta cleared his throat, "Why haven't you given me your sister's number yet, hmm? You're cock blocking the greatest love story ever to be told! Please Invite me over for dinner more often, okay?  Stay sweet my future brother-in-law." Oh my god, Hideo. I'm never going to hook you up with my sister. Stop asking."

"Okay, how about this. Give me her number and I'll give you free charisma lessons."

"No," Yuta deadpanned.

The rest of the table erupted into laughter.

"Holy, if looks could kill," Hideo chucked.

"Anyways," Yuuta said, in his attempt to change the topic. "The next one says, "Ah, young Yuuta. You're not the youngest in the group but I often feel like you are younger than Kei and that I need to protect you. You're very set in your ways, but don't be afraid to start opening up and trying new things this year. I know you have a lot of great things to share with everyone. I can confidently say we are all willing to listen and learn from you." Hmm, this one… I'm not sure, honestly."

 "Guess," Jiki encouraged.

"Maybe, Daichi?"

"Yep," he replied.

"Thank you, D. The next says, "Be a man stop watching so many dramas." Whatever Jiki. I'm going to read the next one, " You're conquering your fears every time we perform. When the music starts and I see you give it your all... honestly it chokes me up a little bit every time. You're way too hard on yourself. You're doing amazing." This is from Kei," Yuuta smiled. "He's so nice."

"And I'm not nice?" Jiki asked with a smirk.

"I-I mean you're fine… but I'm never giving up dramas. I'll read Akio's now, "Your dancing has improved so much. I'm really proud of what you've accomplished in only a year of competing." Thank you, Akio. I promise to keep working hard."

"I know you will," Akio said. "My first one says, "Cut your hair." How about you return to your mother's belly, Jiki."

"Akio, why do you always make the weirdest rebuttals?" Daichi laughed.

"Yo, remember that time he got mad and beat Hideo with his shoe," Jiki reminisced, laughter bubbling in his throat. 

"That was so cool," Hideo burst out laughing. "He kicked it off of his foot and caught it with one hand. What a legend."

Akio rolled his eyes. "Moving on. The next one says, "I love it when you laugh so hard you sound like someone cleaning a window. It's pretty amazing." Well thanks? Pretty sure it's from Hideo."

"Yes, was me."

Akio read the next one with a grin. "None of our accomplishments as a team would be possible without your brilliance. Your work ethic is out of this world and I couldn't ask for a better team captain!" 

"Ooo, someone wants to suck Akio's dick," Jiki joked.

"It's from Yuuta," Akio smiled."Don't listen to Jiki. Flattery will get you everywhere."

"Noted," Yuuta replied, scratching the back of his neck.

"Second last one, "You're an alien... and I mean that in the best possible way." Well thanks, Daichi… I'm an alien. 

"Yes, you are out of this world," said Daichi. "Now read the next one. I'm curious to know what Kei said."

Akio sighed before reading Kei's message. " You're my treasure and I will always cherish our moments together. Ah, I'm getting emotional just thinking about you and what you've meant to me. Thank you for giving me the precious gift of your time. Thank you for making my life beautiful with your presence in it. Most of all thank you for being uniquely and unapologetically you. I love you beyond words. My bright star, Akio."

"That was so cute," Hideo cooed. "I'm going to give him two smooches now. I want Kei to tell me he loves me, too." 

Akio stood up."I'm going to go and order that food and then we should probably take off. It's getting late."

"Sure," Daichi agreed. " How about we meet at your dorm, Akio?"

"Okay."

The group exchanged hugs, congratulated each other on their victory a final time, paid for their meals and set out to visit their missing teammate, Kei.

1