Chapter Twelve: Talking Swords, Eyeshadow, and Howling Shadows
50 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Armed guards for a church would normally seem like a little much, but the Shepherds never failed to make a ‘house of god’ feel uninviting. Though things that would normally deter visitors were extra enticing to Vox, "all these years and I've finally found you," the little box it hid within a pouch began to beat like a drum.

"They really don't want anyone coming to this church, funny usually they're trying really hard to get people in" the familiar, Raylelael joked.

"There's no doubt then, this has to be where they're keeping it." Vox crouched low beneath a bush as it watched the guards closely, “don’t think they’re gonna let us just waltz in for afternoon mass, do you?”

“They look friendly to me, I’m sure the rifles are just for show,” the two of them quipped back and forth as Vox began to circle the church. “Are we certain we even need to retrieve it though? I mean, considering you already gave a piece to that girl, it almost feels like a moot point, doesn't it?"

"You know we can't just leave it. The piece she ate is safe with her, but I'm afraid what the Shepherds would do if we let them keep this one."

"That is fair I guess. Still not so sure giving her the heart was the best idea,” the familiar argued.

“I disagree, I think this world will be better off with her as its goddess,” Vox rebutted.

“If you say so,” she gave no further objections, allowing Vox to concentrate as it continued to circle the building looking for an easy way in.

Shepherds stood at every entrance, it began to feel as if there would be no peaceful path inside, even the windows closest to the ground were barred. 

"Crazy, they keep this place safer than the king's manor," Vox chuckled. 

"Wait, sweetie, what about that!" The familiar suggested.

"What about what? You're not visible right now silly," Vox shook its head.

"That balcony there in the southern end," it looked where she suggested, "perhaps I can launch you up there."

Vox thought about it, then snapped it's figures, "Hey, what if you launched me up to that balcony!"

"Oh wow, what an amazing idea, why didn't I think of that?" The familiar said with a dry tone.

"Just playing," Vox stuck its tongue out, "but yeah, we can try that, what's the worst that can happen?"

"We miss and you get pulverized up against the church wall?"

"Ouchies, let's not think about," it waved its hands, "come on, seems like this is gonna be our best bet."

With a reluctant sigh Raylelael took form beside Vox, crouching down so that it could climb on top of her shield, “let me know when you’re ready.”

“No time like the present,” it replied, the familiar immediately responding by vaulting Vox into the air. Its lighter than normal body gilded with ease towards the desired location, or close enough at least. Just a few feet too far left, it found itself crashing through a stained glass window, plummeting to the ground below as vividly colored shards fell around it. “Stuck the landing!” it sprung to its feet with a chipper tune, “totally as planned.”

“Voxie, your enthusiasm is too adorable,” Raylelael reappeared next to it, “I’ll really miss you if we ever were to return to Eforde.” 

“Hehe, I’m sure whatever lucky girl you make into a proper witch will be ten times cuter,” it blushed as it wiped little shards out of its clothes.

“Why not let me make you a proper witch?”

“Cause I can’t be a witch,” the wanderer sighed, “not a real one at least.”

“But you have enough eros now, and I don’t mind that you’re not a girl,” she hugged her companion, “I’m sure the other wouldn’t mind either, she thinks you’re cute too.”

“Yeah, but she’s kinda scary,” it chuckled, “oh, we really shouldn’t be having this conversation here and now.”

“Right, we have a piece of the Goddess’ heart to rescue.”

They scoured the church, searching every room and corridor they came across, ducking and hiding from ever Shepherd that walked by, till at last they entered the main sanctuary.  

“It has to be here,” Vox stepped through a side door that led into the hallowed hall, where it saw the most peculiar sight.

“Oh my,” Raylelael gasped upon seeing the horrendous object that sat upon the altar. A rather fleshy sword protruded through a proportionally large, still beating heart. The sword itself moved as though it were breathing as a black secretion dripped from the blade. 

Voxie got closer, a tightness gripping its heart as it drew near. It began to sweat as though heat radiated from the cursed blade, despite the fact that the room felt as cold as a walk-in freezer.

When the two got closer, the sword began to speak to them, “you do not belong here, interloper,” it said.

“Actually I’m pretty sure you’re the one who’s out of place.” Vox clicked its tongue, “what even are you?”

“Be careful Vox, this thing reeks of Malice,” the familiar warned. 

“So who are you, mr talking sword?”

“I am the living word of the one true god,” the air around it reverberated as it spoke, as though the world itself was trembling before it.

“Silly sword, there’s no such thing as a ‘one true god’, I’d know, I'm friends with the Goddess of all Existence.”

“Blasphemer, remove yourself from this holy place and repent of your sins,” with each word malice radiated around it. 

“Only sin I’m guilty of is being too adorable,” Vox stuck its tongue out in a playful manner.

“Infidel, you come into the house of god bearing a demon inside your soul.”

“Actually I am a Goddess, and a real one, unlike you,” Raylelael retorted.

“I am the living word of the one true god,” the sword repeated, “I am the beginning and the end.”

“Ah, I see what’s going on, you’re confused,” Vox quipped, “the only thing you're the beginning and end of is a boring conversation.”

“Vox, we shouldn’t give this thing any more attention,” the familiar suggested, “it’s gross and I don’t like it.”

“Yeah, it is pretty grossey, isn’t it,” Vox pinched its nose and laughed, “alright mr. sword guy, I’m gonna have to move you now.”

It reached for the hilt of the sword, feeling a burning sensation in its hand as it made contact with it. The sword howled, sending tidal waves of malice throughout the church. Vox backed away, overwhelmed by the massive amounts of evil energy filling the room. “Only the rightfully ordained may ever hope to wield my power” the sword said.

“I’m not looking to wield you, dummy, I need that heart!” Vox shouted.

“The devil's heart shall remain within my grasp”

“Only devil here is you, you dirty ugly evil old sword!” Raylelael began to accost it with a torrent of insults.

Vox silently cursed to itself, "Oh geez..If I had my old sword, I’d probably be able to just break this stupid talking one. It seems it's made of something similar to malicite.”

"Leave now interloper," the sword warned them once more.

"Not without that heart!" Vox pushed through the torrent of malice that crashed against its body, pushing it back every time it got closer, "I can't leave without it…" it gritted its teeth and dug its feet firmly into the floor, but no matter what it tried it could get no closer.

"Only he touched by grace and washed clean in the river may take hold of me, all else shall suffer judgment for thy sins."

"Touched by grace? The heck is this stupid sword going on about?" 

"Intruders!" A Shepherd called out as they investigated the sound from the sanctuary, allerting several others to Vox's presence. 

"Voxie, we need to go, like now!" The familiar wrapped her arms around it.

"But it's right here!" It cried out.

"And so are they," a company of Shepherds swarmed into the sanctuary as the sword continued to radiate malice. "You know what will happen to those men if we continue to agitate this damn sword."

It clicked its tongue and sighed, "we'll come back," resigning itself, Vox turned to its familiar, "can you get us out of here?"

"Of course," she smiled and raised her shield, "just follow me," without warning she charged forward, mowing down a path through the resisting Shepherds.

"Crazy girl," Vox laughed and ran after her. 

***

With the day's lecture done, Oden once more found themselves mindlessly browsing message boards, trying to find some way to entertain themselves as aggressive music drowned the world out around them. After a while the monotony of doomscrolling began to set in, so they took a momentary break to put on the new eyeshadow Nioto had bought them. The colors were dark, yet pretty, contrasting with their pink and blue eyes.

“My eyes…” it was a constant thought on their mind, ever since the day they met that girl outside the bakery. Just why were they so different? What did it really mean? Why did Oden have to hide their eyes from strangers? They always thought it would remain a mystery, though now that they had access to V-space for school then perhaps they now had the source of all their answers at their fingertips. Quickly returning to their computer they typed into the search bar and with just a few clicks they were able to find themselves on a message board discussing ‘demon sightings’.

ElementL0rd: Spotted a demon out in the city today, pretty sure I saw him swiping someone's wallet.

LuxandLee: You didn’t stop him?

ElementL0rd: Hell no, I aint getting close to a demon! 

Elegast1000: Demons aren’t real, don’t be stupid. He’s probably just some weirdo wearing colored contacts.

Fae_searcher: Demon’s are real, a demon killed my brother, ate him whole!

ElementL0rd: Do demons really eat people?

LuxandLee: No, that’s stupid. Demons are just like people. If anything they suffer from a genetic mutation. Still, the pink and blue eyes are really cool. I wish I had two different colored eyes like that.

Fae_searcher: Demons are cursed, you don’t want to be like them!

Wishing to know more, Oden decided to join the chat.

Princess_of_sorrow: Is it true that having two different colored eyes means someone is a demon?

They waited a moment and got a response.

LadyJojo: Of course not, that is a silly superstition.

Fae_searcher: @Princess_of_sorrow don't listen to them, demons are absolutely real!

LuxandLee: People call them demons, but it doesn't really mean anything. It's prejudice, that's all.

ElementL0rd: I've met a demon, they're real and they have powers. Anyone who says otherwise is probably a psy-op for the King! Demons all have pink and blue eyes and silver hair. Former captain Nios is a demon, that's how he was able to kill so many people.

LadyJojo: That is ridiculous, you can't just accuse anyone you disagree with of being a psy-op.

LadyJojo: and also Captain Nios is an urban legend. The only real "demon" in the king's employ was General Loche.

ElementL0rd: Don't double post! Also General Loche wasn't a demon, he was a monster. There's a difference. Besides I heard a real demon killed him.

Fae_searcher: I thought General Loche became some kind of gangster after the army disbanded.

ElementL0rd: A cover up by the castle. I bet the king has a whole host of demons under his command! Even the prince is a demon, why else would they keep him hidden all these years.

LuxandLee: Honestly I doubt there are even people with those specific traits anyways. Especially not the prince. Its all made up. There are no people with multicolored eyes, just cosplayers.

Princess_of_sorrow: I have pink and blue eyes though.

ElementL0rd: This isn't a roleplay board. If you wanna rp go to the games forum.

Princess_of_sorrow: but I am not role playing, I really do have mismatched eyes.

LuxandLee: even if you have mismatched eyes, it's probably just a rare disease or something.

ElemntL0rd: A REAL DEMON WOULD NEVER REVEAL THEMSELVES!!!

LuxandLee: Just ignore him, the boy’s probably just looking for attention.

Princess_of_sorrow: I am not looking for attention, I am looking for answers. Also, I am not a boy.

ElemntL0rd: Fake, not real, girls don't use V-space!!!

The responses stopped being helpful, feeling defeated Oden slumped back in their chair, no closer to knowing the truth than before. Just as they were going to log out, they noticed a private message in their inbox. Against better judgment, the prince decided to read the message.

LadyJojo: Hi, sorry about how those other guys were acting. Is it true you have a pink and a blue eye?

Princess_of_sorrow: Yes, I am telling the truth. You are not going to tease me as well are you?

LadyJojo: No, of course not. You’re not Isa are you?

Princess_of_sorrow: No, I do not know an Isa, why do you ask?

LadyJojo: She was a friend of mine, well sort of, we didn’t know each other long and it’s been a while since we’ve talked. She had eyes like the ones you described, so I hoped that you were her.

Princess_of_sorrow: I am sorry, but I am not her, my name is…

they thought hard before responding and decided to use the nickname Quinn had given them.

Princess_of_sorrow: My name is Odie

LadyJojo: Odie is a cute name, certainly not one you hear often. It’s nice to meet you :) I’m Josie

Princess_of_sorrow: It is nice to meet you too, Josie. I hope you are able to find your friend.

LadyJojo: Thanks, I hope so too. Honestly, I’m not sure she’s even still alive.

Princess_of_sorrow: Oh no, did something happen?

LadyJojo: I probably shouldn’t bother you with it, we just met you know? But yeah, she disappeared about four years ago. I probably could find her if I really tried, but something tells me she doesn't want to be found

Princess_of_sorrow: Oh, I see. Well whatever happened to her, I hope she is safe.

LadyJojo: Me too, :3 

Princess_of_sorrow: What are those symbols?

LadyJojo: You mean the smilies? :3 it is a cat smile, don’t tell me you never seen that before?

Princess_of_sorrow: No, admittedly I do not spend much time online. My father monitors my computer. Oh no, come to think of it, I should probably get back to my schoolwork before he realizes I am not doing it.

LadyJojo: Okay, well I hope to talk to you again soon then.

Princess_of_sorrow: Me too, have a good day miss Josie.

LadyJojo: Silly, just Josie is fine <3 

Princess_of_sorrow: What is that one?

LadyJojo: A heart you silly goose.

Princess_of_sorrow: Oh, okay. Goodbye, Josie.

LadyJojo: Goodbye Odie~

Oden closed the browser, feeling a tad bit happier. While they may not have really found the answers they were searching for, they at least knew there were others out there like them. 

The one thing that did worry them, was that one person who said that there were demons in the castle. Did people spread rumors about the princes’ existence? Or was it simply a lucky shot in the dark by that one weirdo. Aside from rumors about themselves, there were those other two that were said to be demons. Oden did not know the former general Loche, nor a Captain Nios. Though Oden did know that Nioto was a former captain before the army was disbanded. The more they thought about it the more they wondered, was Nioto hiding something behind that eyepatch she wore? Asking her of course would be rude, out of respect Oden never pried into stories of her life before becoming their caretaker, but still they had to wonder. "Is Nioto just like me?"

No sooner after thinking this they heard the doorknob click and the handle turn. Nioto normally knocked, so it caught Oden off guard, but perhaps this would be the ample time to ask her. "What is on your face?" The gruff demanding voice of the king quaked with anger as he stopped inside the prince's room.

***

Her knuckles were bloody, not her own blood, mostly, but bloody nonetheless. The blood dripping from the back of her head, however, was most certainly her own. She tried to recall the events that just took place, but like many of the fights she got into, she blacked out only to awaken to a group of unconscious men around her. This was honestly becoming a problem, not the blacking out, but the consistent fights she found herself involved in. It was almost enough to make her yearn for the days she spent as a small child being ignored by everyone around her. Now her eyes and hair are nothing but a beacon for those who'd wish to harass her. This fight was no different. 

She was minding her own business as usual, eating an apple as she leaned against the wall of an alley outside her old favorite clothing store. She liked to visit from time to time, hoping to catch a glimpse of her friend, but with the shop having shut down nearly three years prior, she never did get to see them. Still she held out hopes that Jojo would return and keep the promise they made her. The boutique wasn't the only empty building on that street, almost all the businesses that were thriving only a few years ago had now become abandoned lots that housed vagrants until the Shepherds would come and arrest them for "trespassing". Depressing as it were, it still was a comfort spot for Isa, as she clung to the improbability that Jojo would be there. Of course, if you visit a place often enough people would start to take notice of your habits. 

"Hey freak," a man growled as he approached her with a small posse, "you're stinking up our block, get the hell outta here and don't come back!"

She ignored him, crunching her teeth down on her apple core as she avoided eye contact with the unruly harasser.

"Didn't you hear me? We don't want demons here, so go on and leave while you can still walk, freak!" His promise to leave her alone was empty, she knew as much, the moment her back was to them they'd attack her. So she stayed there, back to the wall, and challenged them with her immovable stubbornness. Giving her a nearly toothless grin, he lowered his head towards her and blew his foul breath in her face as he threatened her again, "I warned you."

Isa was never one to allow the enemy the first strike, so before he could wind back his arm to punch her, she had already kneed him in the groin. Some would say that's dirty fighting, but it was simply survival, how else should a teenage girl fight a group of grown men afterall? 

As the man with rancid breath buckled over in pain, the other four with him piled in a group attack against her. She slipped herself out of their attempts to grab hold of her, and avoided their kicks and punches as best she could. Giving a swift elbow to the face she managed to incapacitate one more attacker, leaving only three standing. Repositioning so her back would no longer be against the wall, she threw several punches at the nearest opponent. He didn't fall immediately, but he backed off enough for her to focus on the other two. Fists raised, she took a defensive stance, ready to square off with her enemies, until a board cracked her in the back of the skull.

From that point on the world went black, fuzzy images of a brawl flashing before her eyes, till she came too again, the five men in way worse shape than before her blackout.

"You overdid it again," she wiped the blood from her knuckles on one of the men's shirts, "at least you didn't kill 'em," she of course didn't expect a response, but she still needed the other one to know they had to be careful. A scuffle like that couldn't have been quiet, and while the Shepherds didn't care about squabbles between the commoners, she still didn't want to risk drawing any more attention to herself. "Well it looks like we came out here for nothin," she trampled over one of the downed brawlers and left the battle site behind her. 

Back in her little home in the old bakery she found some mostly unsoiled towels and used them to clean the blood off her head. "Healed already, damn if I didn't know any better, I'd say we're immortal," she laughed, touching the spot where a wound should have been, "not even a little bit sore, shit, maybe I should just become some kinda underground boxer to earn some extra ides," she was joking of course, though admittedly the life of thievery she lead was far from her ideal life.

"Or maybe we can storm the manor and kill that rotten old scumbag," her voice growled all the way from her chest, almost as if it was not her own voice but a voice from inside her. A righteous fury brewed inside her gut till it festered into a desire for bloodshed, but who it was she wanted dead was a mystery even to her. Her head felt as if it was splitting while the vague shape of a man striking a young girl repeatedly flashed inside her mind. When the episode finally passed, she found that half the bags of flour surrounding her had been slashed open as if by a clawed animal.

“What… what am I?”

0