5: Days Past
81 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Don't forget to follow for more. Thank you for reading <3

They had been training for what felt like an eternity. A month had passed by slowly, but surely as Kaya learned to use a bow with somewhat difficulty. She had trouble aiming and maintaining the strength with a drawn bowstring but hours of vigorous training had grown the muscles in her arms and eventually she was able to maintain aim at a basic level.

Toma taught her how to move quickly and quietly, explaining terrain types and how quickly and careful she had to be when traversing them. He and Emika also gave her and Mahiro some insight on how to defend with a blade in close quarters as well as when to strike back. For the first time in a long time, she felt her confidence begin to grow. Mahiro was now able to cast a small fireball. when he revealed it they were left awestruck at the display and he began to add movements that kept him light on his feet, able to cast the spell more and more quickly and move quicker. 

Kaya was proud to see just how much her friends had improved and Toma, in turn, was proud of her too. They spent many nights by the hearth fire talking, laughing and learning. She had never felt so alive but despite this, the nights in bed alone always led her thoughts back to home. She Worried about her parents, knowing that they had no idea where she was and that knowledge gave her the drive to move forward, the drive to get back home and see them again. She could feel herself changing, getting stronger, not just physically but mentally too. Her life had changed and she along with it. 

They had only one purpose for now and that was to find an unmanned gateway. Even if it took them a year, it didn't matter to her, they would find one and grow themselves a large number of allies. With enough numbers, they could take on The Lord of Souls and find their way home. Kaya would keep her promise to Toma, that they'd bring him with them once they found the way out. He deserved that for what he'd done for them. They all deserved it.

The day had come, the day to leave and find a gateway. They had no idea where to start but regardless, they were eager to get out into the world. Toma didn't like that sentiment, concerned that they'd be far too quick to find themselves in a fight they couldn't win. Even now, as he stood at the door, watching them standing before him on the soft grass under the crimson glow of the daylight moon, he still looked afraid for them. Like a father watching their grown children enter the real world. 

They all wore a fur backpack with an assortment of basic equipment such as bandages, dried food, a whetstone and camping items. A small lingering sense of fear suddenly loomed over her. She knew that Toma would no longer be there to protect them, everything that happened now was on them and nobody else.  

As she looked at Toma's weathered and handsome face, she almost cried. She knew that she would miss him dearly and the lump in her throat became apparent when he gave her a warm smile, like one of a proud parent. She swore for a millisecond that she saw his eye glisten as if he had a sneaking suspicion that he'd never see them again. Kaya silently promised him that he would, no matter what.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Emika asked softly. 

Toma grinned and shook his head, "My place is here, to help more and more people like you. Not enough of you make it through the first days alive and if I'm here, at least there's a chance."

Emika opened her mouth as if to say more but hesitated and sighed, looking to the grass below her, "I-I understand."

"We will find a way out, Toma. I promise," Kaya tried to sound strong but her voice shook as the words left her mouth. 

"You're damn right we will," Mahiro added. 

"Farewell," Toma said warmly, "I hope to see you all again someday. Oh, and one more thing."

He grabbed a small leather sack that was strung to his belt and tossed it to Kaya. She heard the contents inside rattle as it soared through the air. 

"Some coin to get started," He said, "You'll need it,"

"Thank you, Toma. For everything," Kaya replied. 

Toma nodded and watched as the three turned their backs and disappeared within the trees of the forest. 

Til' next time.


The forest was as dense as ever as they followed the faint trail that Toma had left. The trail led through the forest and to the town nearby, if they were to learn more of the world they found themselves in, it would be there. When the dense trees broke to a cliffside that the trail followed along, they finally caught glimpse of the town that sat below.

It was small and surrounded by lush vegetation and stone walls with buildings made from brick. The roofs were tiled orange and looked pretty when next to the blue river the flowed by. The trails of smoke left by the chimneys gave her a warm vibe of safety and for once, the anxiety of the world beyond began to dissipate as she studied the town from afar. 

Kaya peeked into the leather sack to see it was full of gold coins. She plucked one out and studied it as they walked. Unlike the Yen from home, the coin had a mark of hand that looked like it had been hammered into shape. Mahiro glanced at the coin and threw his hands behind his head, looking to the treetops as they walked. 

"How much do you think he gave us?" He asked openly, not pointing the question to anyone specific. 

"No idea," Kaya replied, "Maybe we should've asked."

"Too late now," Emika said, "Let's get to the town first before we think too much on it."

Kaya nodded and continued walking in silence. She couldn't help but notice a change in Emika, as she'd somehow become more hardened during the month they'd spent with Toma. Maybe she'd always been that way deep down inside and the reality of their situation brought it out of her. Sometimes she missed the carefree Emika she'd known for all this time but at the same time she admired just how strong she was, a part of her envied it. She knew, however, that Emika was someone she'd want to be like someday. She wanted to make her friends proud of her the same way she was proud of them. 

After a long moment, Mahiro spoke again, "Y'know, just looking at that town down there, I can't help but feel we're really in an RPG or something."

Kaya raised an eyebrow, "Maybe our expertise in the genre will give us an advantage."

"I'd hope so," Mahiro laughed, "It could really help us in the long run."

"Let's not forget," Emika said, "That this isn't a game, so let's not do anything stupid and treat the people here as if they were real."

"Well, they're definitely real and don't worry, I'm not about to treat them like NPCs," Mahiro replied.

"I hope not. That could get us in all sorts of trouble."

The trail led them down a steep hill by the cliffside, each step upon the loose dirt made it evidently clear that they couldn't rush their way down, lest they slip and fall off the edge. Mahiro especially took extra care as they made their way down as he was more prone to slipping than anyone. Once they reached the bottom, they followed the trail a little further through more trees until it ended by a brick road that cut through the open grassy plains and led to the town on the horizon. The three walked in silence as they passed travelers on horseback heading the opposite way.

They reached the archway that was the town gate where two men clad in chainmail and plate stood posted on each side wielding halberds. Their armor was somewhat standard, at least in Kaya's eyes. They wore a simple open helm and a chainmail suit under the various plate armor that bore no interesting motif. They were circular and were fastened tightly on the chest, arms, legs, and feet. The men under it gave them a cold stare as they approached. She wondered if it were a protocol to give off such an intense aura. When they were within ten meters, the guards crossed their halberds, blocking their path, their cold eyes not shifting for a moment. 

"What business do you have in Elansfall," The guard on the left asked robotically as if he'd done this a thousand times before. 

Mahiro stepped to the front suddenly, the guards didn't even flinch, "Just passing through, maybe looking for work."

The guard on the right studied him up and down, his expression remained flat and devoid of emotion, "If you're looking for work, try the local inn," He paused and leaned over to study the two girls behind Mahiro, "If you're looking for a place for fun, try the bathhouse."

Both Emika and Kaya blushed, "It's not like that," They both said.

"Of course," The guard replied, "Don't think about doing anything against the law, I'll remember your faces."

"Certainly," Mahiro simply replied. 

The guards said nothing more and moved their weapons, letting the three pass through. The town was busy, people dotted the streets almost everywhere and the three of them stuck close to one another so they wouldn't get lost. It was claustrophobic and Kaya began to sweat as all the voices around her muddled into one incoherent sound of endless static that followed her with every step.

Her heart began to race and for a moment couldn't function, visibly shaking. The reassuring hand placed on her shoulder by Emika momentarily relieved her of the sensory overload. What good would she be if she couldn't even handle large crowds without feeling anxious? Then the creeping thoughts rushed to her mind, the idea that she'd be nothing but an ailment to her friends - Deadweight. She tried her best to shake herself from the thoughts and focus on what was going on around her but with that came the anxiety.

Thankfully, they reached a break in the crowds when they reached what she assumed was the town square. Kaya took a moment to catch her breath. The square was surrounded by weathered brick buildings that had moss between the cracks. At the center was a large stone well with the brick road circling around it. Mahiro was in awe at all the people who surrounded him. Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Humans, he was almost jumping up and down like an excited child at an amusement park. 

"Look, an Elf," He said gleefully then turned to the girls with a coy grin, "A female elf," He winked. 

Emika scowled and slapped him softly on the back of the head, "Knock it off, idiot."

"I'm gonna go talk to her," Mahiro announced.

Emika snorted, "No, you're not. What makes you think she'll talk to you."

Mahiro clicked his fingers, "I'll have you know that I have some experience in an Elven dating sim."

His eyes went wide when he realized what he'd just admitted.

"Oh, so you're into that," Kaya winked. 

Mahiro glanced at the brick road below sheepishly, "Uh... Yeah."

"Go ahead then. Let's see it."

"Wish me luck," Mahiro said before confidently trotting off towards the lone Elven woman who sat at a nearby bench next to one of the buildings. The two girls watched from afar as he initiated conversation. The woman appeared to be confused at Mahiro's approach. They watched as her face turned from confusion, to fear and then disgust with her promptly leaving the bench and disappearing into the crowds. Mahiro slowly walked back their way, his shoulders sagged in defeat. 

"Well, whaddya know," Emika said as she folded her arms. 

"Ha, ha," Mahiro mocked as he approached, "Perhaps I am a little rusty with the ladies."

"I'm surprised. Your best friends are girls, yet you still don't know how to talk to one romantically," Kaya said as she felt a small smile spread across her face. 

Mahiro frowned, "Talk about kicking a man while he's down."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out someday," Emika said with a smile. 

"The guard spoke about an inn nearby," Kaya said changing the subject, "We should check it out, we're gonna need a place to stay after all."

They searched all around the town for the inn the guard had spoken of, weaving through crowds behind one another like a snake through reeds and Kaya was beginning to wish they had asked for directions. She tried to keep her composure as they moved through the streets, keeping her eyes locked on Mahiro's back and blocking out everything that surrounded her. 

"This place isn't as dreary as Toma made it out to be," Emika said as they walked.

"We're yet to see the dark side of the place. The town as it is now is probably all a facade," Mahiro replied over the sound of the crowds.

Kaya frowned, "Let's hope we never see it."

Mahiro stopped suddenly and Kaya slammed into his back. Embarrassed, she took a step back and tugged at his shirt.

"What is it?" Kaya asked.

"I think we found the inn," He replied. 

Mahiro pranced up on his tippy toes, attempting to gaze over the heads of the people that wandered the streets. After a moment, he propped himself back down and turned to both Emika and Kaya. 

"Yeah, definitely found it," He said and then scratched his chin, "Come to think of it, are we even old enough to go into a tavern?"

Kaya shrugged, "I don't think they really care to be honest."

Mahiro seemed satisfied with the answer and nodded quickly, "You're probably right."

They broke through the crowds to see the only building made of wood standing before them. Kaya wondered how they missed it at all. The building was two stories and looked old but well maintained. It stood on a stone foundation with the rest of the building being made from stained dark wood.

There was a verandah at the front with steps that lead up to it and towards the door. Tables and chairs were propped outside, Kaya couldn't see inside the windows that were on both sides of the lower floor making her unsure of what to expect when they entered, though she guessed it wouldn't be much different to an MMO. She admittedly felt a little excited, it was as if she were her own avatar in an online role-playing game. 

The Inn of Breaking Waters huh? I could think of something better.

Mahiro quickly climbed up the creaking steps and approached the door with the two girls in tow. Kaya wondered what was next for them, having no sense of direction on where to go from here and only a singular and yet almost impossible objective. The world was theirs, they could become whatever they wanted but the end goal remained the same. 

To find a way home. 

 

 

2