CHAPTER 4 – The Mundane
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Fawr reached the classroom door with a pant, he was ogled by his classmates as he held onto the door frame to catch his breath. “Sorry teacher, I didn’t wake up on time," Fawr casually apologised with a small white lie. He slipped to the corner of the classroom away from everyone, all the while drips of water still seeping down his hair.

 

“Fawr, who said you could just waltz into my classroom and casually sit down? Do you know what time it is?” Clamoured the History teacher in distaste.

 

The teacher wasn’t too bothered by Fawr’s tardiness, but she had to set a standard for the rest. Fawr was her top student, and reprimanding him kept the other students in check. Fawr knew this and played along. He sat there in a daze as history was his least favourite subject, contradictory to his distaste of his intellect being made redundant due to strength. 

 

The world now is much more interesting than a couple of millennia ago. That was a time when wisdom and money could dominate the world. Now? Now we live in a world of strife, with power and anarchy. The era was no longer focused on negotiations and diplomacy. Apart from the coalition of the three superpowers, otherworldly powers could not be reasoned with. It was a time of hope and despair. Where legends and stories are now a reality, and one’s power can establish a superpower. No significant need for the intricacies of politics or mass opinion like before.

 

Anything could be made into reality with a heavy-handed fist, the strong would prey on the weak, and the weak could only cower and submit. In Great Britain, the high council of humanity managed the place he called home. Their control was established through centuries of bloodshed, and the current three mega powers were founded shortly afterwards. 

 

Why did the history classes focus on the mundane times of humanity? The 21st century and the centuries before it were prosperous times, but there wasn’t anything to learn from them. Fawr himself found humans of that time ignorant and idiotic. Compared to now, they were so fragmented and despicable. Maybe there was more to it than he thought, a lesson of how humanity would be in times of peace, he wondered.

 

“Fawr, you imbecile, you should listen to these lessons. It’s not every day you get to learn about such important information. The technological era was truly magnificent. They managed to maintain a state of constant restraint through political means and weapons of mass destruction. Truly the pinnacle of science, things developed without supernatural power. Who would have thought humanity could become so strong through science alone," Tian exclaimed. Humanity which seemed weak without guidance reached such lengths through their observations of the universe. It seemed that Tian could not ignore the importance of technology. Fawr must learn about the current technology might of humanity to develop into a mighty superpower.

 

“Fawr, which countries took part in the First World war? Do you have any idea why it occurred?” Asked the teacher to see if this exceptional student of hers paid attention.

 

“The war resulted from the tensions between the triple entente and the triple alliance, resulting from the arms race and other key factors between the nations. The assassination attempt of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria ultimately led to the war," spouted out Fawr without much thought. The other students looked at him, disgusted with how he could answer effortlessly despite looking so dazed.

 

“Although that nerd has exceptional grades in most optional classes, he would still be weak in the combat classes. I heard he has an E-grade magic talent here in Europe, known for its magic prowess," whispered a classmate in contempt, obviously loud enough for Fawr to hear.

 

“He has a soul-based cultivation affinity. It’s pretty good, but for now? It’s completely useless garbage, much less his shapeshifting power. It’s good on paper, but where would he find the body of a powerful beast? What’s he gonna shift into? a rat!?” The students laughed at the remark, causing Fawr to have a sullen face. He was always subject to ridicule, the odd one out. His emotional state seemed much more agitated since the Blood legacy appeared. The blood would rush in anger. His mind couldn’t control it. Such a noble bloodline surely couldn’t stand such trash mocking Fawr. It was the last day of school, so he let it slide.

 

“Fawr, just leave them be. There will always be those that take pleasure in looking down on others, it’s an inferior way of thinking, and such a mindset won’t let them get very far," Tian consoled with the demeanour of a noble.

 

“I already know. Why do you think those idiots are so frivolous? I just don’t bother with trash,” replied Fawr. Before he knew it, he was constantly chatting with Tian. It seems the two had some affinity. As Fawr didn’t have that many friends and kept to himself, he treated Tian like a big brother.

 

“Class dismissed! The lecture regarding the recent changes in the curriculum is next. The new curriculum has been in development for years, so don’t be too surprised. You may find your overall statistics on your smartwatch, which was given to you last month," the teacher solemnly informed them. The high council of humanity was planning to train all students through this curriculum which had been tested in military schools. With a sigh, she left the room. The students would probably never feel the same again after today.

0