Chapter 3: First Day Pains
180 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The axe smashes through the walls like butter and cuts close to my face. 'Holy shit I just started my journey you can't just do this!' I try to move away but I can't seem to move. My limbs aren't responding in the way they are supposed to. 'Fuck, fuck, fuck.' The axe leaves the box and I can see out through the hole it left. A sword pierces through the hole and takes my left eye with it. 'AH FUCK

I FORGOT ABOUT THE SCAR!'

I lose all control and start crying. The pain is too much to bear. "Hmm? What's that noise?" A childish voice asks faintly from outside. I can't keep focus it hurts so much. My crying grows louder as the light from the outside world shines in. "Oh no!" A pair of hands grab my small body and pull me closer to it. "DAD I NEED A HEALER!" The child voice yells out as he moves away from the corpse.
A rough voice rings out over the sounds of combat "Where are you hurt Lloyd!?". Panic clear in the old man's voice. "It's not me this child got hurt. He's bleeding badly. We need one for him!" Lloyd reaches the old man who shouts for the closest healer. "Teodor quickly over here!" As he finishes the command he returns to the battlefield.

Teodor arrives beside Lloyd holding a staff. "Are you certain you want to use a charge on this child?"

"Do it. If we can't save a kid, then what's the point of killing all those nobles?" Lloyd replies with a resolute face on.

The staff shines bright as the spell held within is cast. The wound on the child's eye is sealed. Lloyd moves to wipe the blood off. He keeps his eyes on the child to make sure nothing else is wrong.

"Can we save his eye or is it gone?"

"The staff is only capable of sealing wounds. It is not capable of returning them to point it was before injury. We'd need a more powerful staff for that to treat this wound. It's too late as it is anyway. We only had this on hand." Teodor replies somberly.

The child stops crying and turns his eye towards the two beings around him. Before he can think any further about his lost eye, he hears steel clashing against each other. He turns his head towards that sound and looks out to see a hulking man decapitate an axe wielding bandit. Further behind the hulking figure two horsemen are rampaging through the archer line. Not even one of them stands a chance before they end up skewered on the lances that they wield. "Jan take out those bandits on the right flank!"

My attention is turned back towards the hulking figure belting out commands. The other person beside him rushes towards two bandits and takes the first out with a swift overhead swing of his axe to their head. The second bandit seeing this as an opportunity dashes forward to take out the man named Jan. Seeing this coming he releases the axe he had in the other ones head and sidesteps the bandits swing. Jan moves forward and launches a punch right into that bandit's solar plexus. The bandit releases his weapon and Jan grabs it and strikes it into his foe's neck.

My attention is taken away when I hear screaming coming from the hulking figure's direction. When I look over, I see him finishing off a bandit with a blade through the bandit's throat.

He really killed them. He did it so easily too. I... I must get that strong. I need to get strong. I don't want to end up like those bandits. I'll be strong enough to prevent Nergal's plans. Hell, I might even do something about Zephyr.

'What did I get myself into?'

After surveying the battlefield, the warriors return to Teodor and Lloyd. They look between Lloyd and I. The hulking figure looks towards my missing eye and gets a somber smile on his face. "A mistake Lloyd?"

The boy holding me grips me tighter and I look up to his face. A dirty blonde-haired child barely 9. His blue eyes staring into my eye as his eyes start to well with tears. "Yes dad." The boy says with tears streaking down his face. 'Ah come on now. You can't do this to me.' I try to move my hand and place it on his face. I pat his face, but instead of getting happier the tears start flowing faster. 'Come on kid no need to cry that hard.' I say out loud, but what comes out instead is baby noises.

"Oi Brendan look, the kid's trying to comfort Lloyd." Jan says while laughing to himself. Brendan, the hulking figure, seeing this also bursts out into laughter. "HAHA Lloyd no need to beat yourself over it. The kid forgives you for it!" He stops his laughter and gets a serious glint in his eyes. "What did I tell you about making mistakes boy?"

"Yo-you sa-said w-we lear-learn from them." He replies. He stops his crying and turns back to his father. "I won't make this mistake again!"

"Attaboy. Now then let's return to the camp. Linus probably misses you already. I don't know why that kid so attached to you instead of me. I'm his father." Brendan grumbles to himself. "It's because you keep making him try to learn the axe instead of the sword like he wants." Jan replies with his arms crossed, as if he said something truly wise. "He'd do more work with the axe considering his strength. Tsk." Brendan turns away from the group and begins to walk away.

"Dad you're going the wrong way." Lloyd looks at his dad with disappointment in his eyes. Brendan turns around and heads in the opposite direction. "That's still the wrong way." This time Jan quipped. "Alright then if you two are so smart lead the way back to the base then!" Brendan says with a tick mark on his head. I started giggling at his antics. His plan of cheering up Lloyd looked to be working. Lloyd started laughing with and so did Jan. The other three had faint smiles on their faces.

2