Chapter 14: Resting
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ten days have gone by and I've finally finished digging the graves for the Lorca Tribe. Tomorrow I'll move their bodies into the graves. While doing so I encountered a few nomads that watched me dig the graves.

I returned to the camp I had set up. I left Gawain to guard the two slumbering women, while I buried the bodies. "Are there any signs of them waking up?" I say looking at the two of them. Gawain shakes his head.

"Thanks for the help Gawain."

"No problem kid. You should get some rest. You look terrible."

"You'd look just as bad if you had the opportunity to save them, but wasted time messing around."

I go over to a pot and start cooking a soup to eat for us.

"Boy you can't think of it like that. There's no way you would have made it in time. You reached them and managed to save two of them. Look at the life that you saved rather than the ones that you lost.

You can keep the losses in your heart, but you need to continue down your path. If you can't do that, then what was the point of your journey to this point."

Stunned at his response I turn and nod at him. "You know I forgot you were a general for a while too."

"Of course I was! I was the strongest one too!" He lets out a laugh.
We continued our conversation as I readied food.

--

"Wh-where a-am I?" A feminine voice says as a lull in our conversation appeared. I put my food down and move towards the voice.

"Are you able to move?" I say looking down at the older woman.

She sits up and looks at her surroundings. "So that nightmare really did happen…"

I look at the woman who has a face full of sorrow.

"I couldn't save them. I got there too late." I say to her while Gawain watches on.

"No. You did a good job, lad. You saved my life and my daughter's." She says struggling to smile. "I can not thank you enough for saving her." Her eyes looking to her daughter with gentle eyes.

Her stomach growls from hunger and the bed on the opposite side moves as well.

I move over to the pot and pour some food for the both of them.

Lyn wakes up and looks at her surroundings.

"Mom!" She tries to get up and move towards her mother, but she starts to fall.

"I got you. Please be careful you haven't eaten anything in 10 days." I lift her back up and put her back in her bed in a seated position. I had over a bowl of food to Madelyn and another to Lyn after receiving it from Gawain.

After they finish eating, I take their bowls and put them back near the basin. "We need to take care of something outside. Please be careful with where you step."

I exit the tent and look towards Gawain. "We need to set up a method to obtain food without having to go hunt. I'd rather we didn't leave them alone here until they can at least defend themselves properly."

Gawain looks at me with a strange look. "Why don't I just go out to hunt and you stay back to watch over them."

"Oh, right. We could do that." I say with a sigh.

"Kid. I understand what it's like to feel like it's your fault people died, but I'll tell you one thing right now. Turning your brain off isn't going to help you. So, start to think about what you can do and do that."

I look at him and nod.

I suppose I could practice my sword skills.

I hear a loud noise inside the tent and rush inside.

(Inside the tent)

"Mom what happened? Where's dad?" Lyn says rapidly towards Madelyn.

"Lyndis…" She looks at her daughter seeing the tears building up her eyes.

"Plea-please don-don't sa-say h-he's go-gone…" Lyn says breaking out into tears.
Madelyn seeing her daughter cry tries to move to her daughter to comfort her but falls due to her
being asleep for 10 days.

The man hearing the noise enters the tent and walks up to Madelyn.

"I did warn you to be careful." I sigh picking up Madelyn and move her towards Lyn so they're on the same bed. "If you two need anything else I'll be just outside."

Madelyn nods while Lyn hugs and cries into her mom's shoulder.

"Don't worry, the bandits can't reach us here. They'll protect us."

I was practicing my sword technique when I hear footsteps from the tent.

I stop and turn towards the sound and see Lyn standing there.

Her eyes are red from the crying she was doing. I look at her and see she has a determined gaze.

"Please teach me how to fight."

"Okay. I'll teach you, but right now you need to recover. That poison is still in your system."

"Bu-"

"I understand that you want to get stronger, but if you start training now, you'll only harm yourself and make your mother worry more."

Lyn nods her head and goes back in the tent.

"I have my work cut out for me…"

I head back in the tent for the night.

The next day we buried the fallen tribe members and I gave the two woman some time to deal with their losses.

I spent the next 6 months training Lyn. Her technique more like flowing water than the ferocious technique I use.

I was by the campfire with them when Madelyn spoke up.

"Percival…"

I look up towards Madelyn while cleaning my blade.

"I would like your help getting to my old home… I don't know if I'll be accepted back, but it's all we have left."

I finish cleaning my blade and put it away. I look towards Lyn who is looking at her mother confused. Seeing that expression gives me a gentle smile. I nod towards Madelyn who looks between Lyn and I with a smirk.

"Oh…" She says while switching between us before laughing.

Lyn confused about something else now, decides to focus on the important question.

"Where are we going mother?"

"We're going to Caelin. I don't know if they'll approve me coming back, but I will return. Especially with you two at my side."

--

Lyn is 18, Percival is 20 and Madelyn is about 34 or 35ish.

4