Chapter 16: Footsteps of Fate
103 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Traveling with the group and Athena has shown to be a difficult task. Athena does not let me go no matter what time it is. Even while we are eating, she keeps her arms tightly wrapped around me and Lyn has taken to feed her while she’s in this stance. We’ve gotten her to stop holding me so tight, but she still doesn’t want to be carried by anyone else.

“Percy! We finally reach Bulgar! We should stop here to purchase our supplies.” Lyn says grabbing hold of my hand trying to run into the city. Athena tries to pull Lyn’s hand away but can’t.

“Slow down Lyn. We don’t want to lose your mother in the city so stick close.” I stop her from moving forward to explain what we should do. “Make sure you stick close ma’am.”

Athena is pouting while looking at me. “Don’t worry Athena. I won’t let you go anywhere without me either.” She nods and goes back to resting in my arms. She really is clingy for a five-year-old. I suppose it’s because of the family she lost already… I’ll have to come up with something to help her.

Madelyn looks at the three of us with a gentle smile and nods her head. “Don’t worry about me. I don’t wish to interfere with you two.”

I shake my head and enter the city with Lyn and the rest following behind.

“So, the little lion is prowling the plains…” A figure says while watching the group enter the commercial hub. “They’ll want to hear about this.” The figure grows a smile that begins to disfigure his face.

Lyn pulls me along into a weapon shop with Gawain and Madelyn laughing behind us.

“We finally have everything right?” I ask packing away the wrappings I bought into my pack.

“Yes, we should have everything we need.” Gawain says mumbling out, clearly bored at all the shopping.

“A big man like you shouldn’t tire so easily.” Madelyn says giving him a smile.

Gawain shakes his head exasperated.

Lyn walks over and pulls me up from my sitting position. She leads me towards the exit, while Gawain and Madelyn follow.

Behind us a man’s voice rings out.

“Oh, my heart! What a dazzling vision of loveliness!”

‘Oh great. Looks like the timeline still holds up at least…’

Lyn continues pulling me towards the exit, while Gawain turns to look towards the person yelling.

“Come on Percy!”

‘Well she’s ignoring him. She isn’t supposed to, but let’s see how Sain deals with this.’

“Wait, O beauteous one! Would you not favor me with your name? Or better yet, your company.”
‘I want to beat his face in now.’

The figure stops infront of us. Mounted up a horse a tall man. A lance hanging off the side of his horse, but no blade.

‘Ill-prepared for a fight.’

Looking back to him I notice his yellowish green hair, which is held back by a blue headband. His armor colored green. He has more of a slim build, typical of a cavalier.

‘Why do I feel killing intent?’ I look around and see Madelyn looking at Sain with a smile that doesn’t reach her eyes. While Lyn is looking at Sain with a frown. Gawain looking on with a smirk looking at me. Athena is asleep in my arms.

‘Where’s it coming from?’

“Where are you from, sir knight, that you speak so freely to a stranger?”

“Ha! I thought you’d never ask. I am from Lycia. I hail from the Caelin canton, home to men of passion and fire!”

“Shouldn’t that be “home to callow oafs with loose tongues”?”

“Nice one!” I say trying to give a thumbs up, but both hands occupied.

“Ooooh… You’re even lovely when you’re cruel.”

Lyn turns to me and gives me a smile. “Let’s go, Percy. I’ve nothing more to say.”

From the side another horseman rides up to greet Sain.

“Sain! Hold your tongue!”

‘Kent’s here finally. Now we can get something done.’

“Ah, Kent! My boon companion! Why so severe an expression?”

The new figure, named Kent appears with a furrow on his brow. His horse carries two swords and a lance. All three of iron make.

‘At least this one came prepared for the both of them.’

His hair is a crimson color. His armor is the same color as his hair. He has the same slim build as the other cavalier.

“If your manner were more serious, I wouldn’t have to be so severe! We still have a mission to complete, Sain!”

“I know that. But how could I remain silent in the presence of such beauty? It would have been discourteous!”

“What do you know about courtesy!? She’s already with a man and has a child!”

Lyn having enough of their fighting grips my hand tighter and pulls me up to them.

“Excuse me! You’re blocking the road. If you would be so kind as to move your horses…”

Kent realizing his mistake begins to move his horse. “Of course. My apologies.”

“Thank you.” She sighs. “You, at least, seem honorable enough.”

“Hm? Pardon me, but… I feel we’ve met before.”

‘Are we just going to ignore Madelyn standing over there? She’s the whole reason you two are here…’

“I beg your pardon?” Lyn says looking at Kent questioning his intent.

Sain taking this opportunity to ruin any good groundwork Kent had set up decided to yell out “Hey! No fair, Kent! I saw her first!”

Lyn reasonably angry at this begins to walk away furiously. I can’t seem to get out of her grip as she pulls me along. ‘When did she get so strong?’

“Tsk! It seems there are no decent men among Lycia’s knights! Let’s go, Percy. I’ve run out of patience!”

“Wait, please it’s not like that!” After we’ve walked away Kent turns towards Sain.

“Sain, you lout.”

“Huh? I thought you were…”

“I am NOT you! Come we must follow her! I suspect she might be-“

“Be what? She’s our mission? You’re joking!”

Kent begins to ride off after the group.

“Wait up!”

Sain follows behind.

“Lyn whatever you do. Don’t panic.”

Lyn looks at me questioningly.

“We have about four men following after us and no it’s not the knights from earlier.”

She nods her head and tightens her grip on me.

“Gawain make sure you stay by her side. We don’t want anyone getting hurt.”

In front of us blocking our path forward are four bandits. While another four approach from behind us.

“Heh heh hehhh… Aren’t you a pretty one! Your name is Lyndis, is it not?”

Lyn shocked that they know the name only her parents call her stumbles a bit.

“What did you call me? … Who are you?”

The bandit pulls out his axe.

“Such a waste. An absolute waste. The things I’d do for gold… Ah, well. Time to die, Darlin’! C’mon boys!”

The bandits start to rush towards us.

‘There’s more than I can handle…’ Lyn thinks to herself before looking to Percy. His constant smile no longer there. Instead it’s replaced by a ferocious smirk.

“Athena it’s time to wake up.”

Athena looking up at Percy and around her realizes something is wrong.

I move Athena over to Madelyn. “Please watch over her for now and cover her eyes.”

Madelyn nods and does as I said. I pull out my Wind Edge and turn towards Lyn.

“Lyn, I’ll take care of the ones behind us. You and Gawain take out the four in front.”

“Wai-“

“Don’t worry I’ll be fine!”

During our exchange the sound of horses running echoes throughout the plains.

“Hey! There she is!”

The bandit leader confused looks towards the sound. While looking there he sees two knights ride in on their steeds.

“Whew… Finally caught up…” Sain says looking relieved.

“Hold! You there! What is your business? Such numbers against a girl? Cowards. Every one of you!”

‘He’s just ignoring Gawain and I…’

“If it’s a fight they want, let them look to me!” The red-haired knight, Kent says charging forward.

“Stand back! I’ll take care of this!” Sain says telling Lyn.

“No! This is my fight! Stay out of my way!” With a frown on her face she responds.

“No time to dally. You two knights help take out the front with her. I’ll deal with the back!”

I rush off before they have a chance to respond to deal with the threats.

I arrive near the bandits and they start laughing. “You are the only one that’s going to deal with us? Don’t make us laugh! After we’re done with you we’ll tie up those women and ge-“

Before he can finish his sentence, my axe has already split his head open.

“Next.” I say with an axe in one hand and a sword in the other.

Sain charges forward at a bandit hiding in the woods. He tries to pierce the bandit with his lance, but the bandit easily dodges it. He then strikes out with his axe, but misses.

Kent seeing Sain use a lance against an axe is befuddled.

“Sain! Why aren’t you using your sword?”

“The lance is more heroic. A knight should look heroic, don’t you think?”

Kent shaking his head. “You’re hopeless. If you don’t take fighting more seriously, you’ll end up dead!”

Sain looks embarrassed while looking away from Kent. “Truth be told, I… forgot to buy a sword.”

Kent sighs and tosses him his extra.

“Use it. I’d rather see you use it rather than rely on your bragging.”

“Are you sure? My thanks, Kent!”

The bandit confused as to why he gave them this much time for the exchange rushes back in.

As they continue their fight Kent charges at a bandit. He uses his blade to make short work of the bandit, but it isn’t enough. The bandit still stands. Lyn seeing this as an opportunity rushes forward and takes out that bandit.

Sain finishes his fight with the brigand in front of him but receives a wound. Lyn upon seeing this questions him. “Why have you not healed yourself?”

Sain now feeling the injury looks at it. “Huh? Hey! What a cad I am! To wrinkle that perfect brow of yours with worry for me…”

“Uh… I was thinking of giving you a vulnerary, but… It looks like you’re fine. So, never mind.”

“No, wait! I’ll take it! Please! I’ll take it!”

Lyn throws it over to Sain who applies it to his wounds.

“Ah much better. You have my gratitude as well, my angel!”

“…”

The bandit leader rushes towards Lyn who is distracted by Sain’s antics. He slashes his axe out at Lyn, but she manages to just barely dodge. She ends up taking a long cut on her left arm.

“Tsk!” She slashes back and pierces her sword into his chest.

“Blast… There was only… supposed to be a lone… girl…” The bandit says as his last words before fading away.

Kent finishes off the last bandit with a swift strike to his neck.

“Percy!” Lyn rushes over to the other side of the battlefield, but sees Percival standing over the corpses of four bandits. No injuries on him.

“Percy!” I hear Lyn’s voice call for me and I see her rush towards me.

“Yes? Did you finis-“ I notice a wound on her arm and walk towards her.

I gently grab a hold of her arm and have her sit down. Madelyn and Gawain walk over to us. Madelyn looking at the wound looks shocked. “Lyndis are you okay?” Her mother walks up beside her and looks at the wound.

I pull out some wraps and a vulnerary to cleanse the wound.

“Lyn this is going to hurt a little bit, but it’s so it doesn’t get infected.”

I apply the vulnerary to the wound, but instead of the pained yelp I expect. I see Lyn looking on with a smile on her face.

‘What’s there to smile about? You just got hurt Lyn. Whatever you can smile all you want while I worry.’

I clean the wound and wrap it.

“It should be fine within a day or so with the vulnerary.”

“Thank you, Percy!” I give Lyn a nod and look towards the rest of the group.

Sain has an injury as well.

“As for you… You’ll be fine. A knight should be able to handle that.”

“So cold!”

“Now for these knights of Lycia. You were going to share why you are following us?” Lyn says looking over at them. Athena hops out of Madelyn’s arms and jumps, surprisingly, into Lyn’s arms.

“Are you okay?” Athena asks looking at Lyn’s wound.

“I’ll be fine thanks to you and Percy.” She says with a smile.

Athena snuggles into Lyn’s arms and Lyn turns back to the knights.

Kent seeing this begins his story.

“Yes. We have ventured from Caelin, in Lycia, in search of someone.”

“I’ve heard of it yes. The country beyond the mountains in the south-west, correct?”

“Correct. We’ve come as messengers to the lady Madelyn, who eloped with a nomad 19 years ago.”

Lyn looks towards her mother and her mother gives her a smile.

Not wanting to ruin the surprise I say “Madelyn?”

Kent nods and looks at me. “Our lord the marquess of Caelin’s only daughter. He was heartbroken his own daughter would abandon him so. Eventually, the marquess simply declared that he had no daughter.”

Madelyn hearing this has a sad smile on her face reminiscing her time in Caelin.

Sain speaks up to finish the story.

“And then, this year, we received a letter from Lady Madelyn. It said she, her husband, and their daughter were living happily on the Sacae plains. The marquess was ecstatic to learn he had a granddaughter of 18 years. I remember the smile he had on his face when he announced that he’d suddenly become a grandfather. The granddaughter’s name is Lyndis. This was also the name of the marquee’s wife, who passed away.”

“Lyndis?”

“That she should bear this name thawed the marquee’s heart. Now his only wish is to meet his daughter’s family at least once. This is why we’re here. We didn’t know that Lady Madelyn and the Lorca Tribe had died a few days after sending her letter… We only learnt of the tribe’s demise shortly after arriving here in Bulgar.”

Kent picks up from here “But we also learned all was not lost. Her daughter yet lives. We heard she was living alone on the plains…”

“Well, there’s a few things I want to say.” I say turning their attention towards me.

“First is that Lady Madelyn isn’t dead she’s standing right there.” I point towards Lady Madelyn who is waving at them.

“What!” They both exclaim. “They said everyone except Lyndis was killed…” Kent says looking at her confused. “You do look like the portrait though… and Lyndis is here with you…”

Kent looks between the two of them and says, “The resemblance between you two is remarkable.”

“Greetings young knights.” Madelyn says with a smile on her face.

“A pleasure to meet you lady Madelyn.” Kent responds and Sain fumbles out a "Hello!"

6