Chapter 17: Sword of Spirits
98 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wait! That bandit called me Lyndis, too!”

 

“What? How could he have-“ Kent says confused.

 

Sain cuts off Kent. “He was a henchman of Lord Lundgren, wasn’t he?”

 

“Why would my uncle try to kill my daughter?” Madelyn looks worried at Lyndis’ well-being.

 

“If everyone assumes, you’re dead and Lyndis is your daughter that makes her a claimant for the title. So, he’s taking out any threats for it. He wants it for himself.”

 

Lyn, Madelyn, Athena and Gawain look at me surprised. “What?” I look back at them.

 

“I didn’t think you’d be able to get to that point.” Gawain says with a smirk.

 

“Hmph. I might make it look like I can’t think with how I rush in, but I only do that because no opponent so far has needed a plan.” I mumble out.

 

Athena turns her surprised look into pride. “Heh. Naturally you’re the smartest!”

 

“Heh!” I say with a look of pride.

 

The others turn back to the conversation ignoring me.

 

“I don’t have an interest in inheriting the title!” Lyn says after pinching my side.

 

“Your granduncle is not the sort of man to believe that. He will continue the attempts on your life.” Sain says solemnly.

 

Lyn and Madelyn look to me.

 

“What?”

 

“What should I do?” Lyn asks not sure of whether it’s safe to continue the journey.

 

“Accompany us to Caelin. Continuing on this way is dangerous.” Kent says with a warning tone.

 

She nods. “We were heading that way. The only added feature to this journey is a sense of danger now.” I look towards her.

 

“Percy… I understand if you don’t want to continue this journey.”

 

“Well what do you want me to do?”

 

“Your companionship would do much to ease my journey, but,,, it’s going to be so dangerous.”

Madelyn says solemnly.

 

“Please continue your journey with me.” Lyn says bowing her head.

 

“Lyndis! You can’t ask someone to put their life at risk for this!” Madelyn starts scolding Lyn.

 

“There’s no need to worry Lady Madelyn. I was planning on following you guys if you decided to ditch me anyway.” I say scratching my cheek.

 

“Truly?” Lyn says looking at me.

 

“Anything to help you two.” I say with a grin. She smiles back.

 

“Thank you!”

 

“Before we travel to Caelin, let us take a detour. There is a sacred sword enshrined in an altar east of here. The people of Sacae go there to pray for safety at the onset of a long journey.”

 

“I’ll go wherever you lead Lyn.” Athena pinches my cheek. “I’ll listen to you too. Just don’t use so much strength please.”

 

 

“Old Man! Stay where you are and hold your tongue!” A brute of a man shoves an elderly priest.

 

“Threaten me as you will, but I will not give up the Mani Katti. It is under divine protection. It cannot and will not be removed from its place of rest!” The elderly man responds.

 

“You’re a fool, old man, what good’s a sword if you don’t use it?”

 

“Use it? In combat? Sacrilege!”

 

“Sacrilege? I am Glass! The gods fear my name! My swordplay is peerless! And if I want this sword, this sword I shall have! Now, get out of my way!”

 

Glass pushes the old man out of the way and goes for the sword.

 

“This is it! It’s more magnificient than I’d imagined! This sword was made for a swordsman of my skill.” He goes to lift the blade from its scabbard but cannot. “What’s this? I can’t draw the sword…”

 

“The spirits of the blade have judged you and you have been rejected.”

 

“What?” He looks towards the priest and unsheathes his own blade. “Get out of my sight!” He charges towards the priest and slashes down at him. Before he can even cut the robes of the priest his blade is stopped.

 

“I heard there was a worthy swordsman in here… Let this lion see your skills.” Percival says with a smile looking at Glass.

 

“Get out of here old man. I’ll keep him busy for you.” The priest hearing this nods and runs out to get help for the young man.

 

 

(Outside the Temple)

 

A woman approaches a group of people. Two on horseback, an older woman carrying a child, an older man with a sword on his hip and the last a beautiful green haired woman.

 

“Why did Percy have to leave me with these knights… Couldn’t he take care of his business after we reach a camp…” The green haired woman mumbles to herself. The elderly woman carrying the child smiles at the girl’s antics. “If you’re that attached to him, you should let him know before someone steals him.”

 

The woman hearing this last sentence walks up to the group.

 

“I beg your pardon, milady. Are you headed east? To the altar?”

 

“Yes, we are indeed.” Lyn says looking at the woman.

 

“Then you must hurry and help the priest there. I saw a band of local ruffians head in there not too long ago. They seemed intent on stealing the altar’s sacred sword!”

 

“The Mani Katti… I cannot allow this to happen!”

 

“You look like a virtuous group. Please, help him!”

 

“Lyndis, are you planning?” Sain says looking at her.

 

“Percy didn’t say to wait for him so we’re going to the priest’s aid.”

 

Kent and Sain nod.

 

They charge forward into the bandits around the temple.

 

 

(Inside the Temple)

 

“Come on Glass! You said you were peerless! You can’t even block a single one of my strikes.” I strike continuously leaving slashes all on his body.

 

“Yo-you monster. Who do you think you are? What chance do you think you have against me?”

 

“Me? I’m the Lion of the Black Fang!” With that I plunge my sword into his chest.

 

“You… you… urr… urgh…”

 

‘That should let that bug following us be distracted with reporting for a moment.’

 

I pull the sword out of his chest and wipe it off on Glass.

 

“Tsk. Got it dirty again. Hopefully they didn’t leave like I told them.”

 

The sound of steel clashing against another can be heard outside.

 

Sigh. “Looks like Lyn couldn’t deal with sitting still.”

 

I walk outside and see Lyn cut down the last bandit.

 

“Yo!” I call out to them and the priest runs back inside the temple.

 

“Percy!” Lyn looks over at me. Seeing me come out of the temple gives her an expression of relief. Before she stomps over to me.

 

“Uh…” I rush back inside the temple behind the priest.

 

“Percy!!” Lyn follows close behind. Before she gets a chance to grab me the priest speaks up.

 

“Ah, your clothing… Are you of the Lorca tribe?”

 

Lyn distracted by him turns her attention to him. I give the priest a thumbs up. He nods at me. ‘What a hero!’ Lyn gives me a glare telling me that we aren’t done yet.

 

“I’m Lyn, the chieftain’s daughter. Are you hurt. Sir?”

 

“Thanks to you, I am unscathed. You have my gratitude.” He bows towards both of us.

 

“And the sword? Is it safe?” Lyn says looking for it after accepting the bow.

 

“Yes, I have sealed the sword safely away. Until I removed my spell, the sword cannot be drawn. Now, as a token of my gratitude, I shall allow you to lay hands upon the Mani Katti. Touch the blade’s pattern and pray for a safe journey.”

 

“Oh, thank you so much.” Lyn places her hands on the blade. The priest and I both notice it start to glow.

 

“Hm?”

 

“What? Did-“

 

The temple flashes with a bright light.

 

“The sword… It’s glowing.” Lyn says looking down upon the blade.

 

“Ah. Hm… It’s the power of the spirits. Lyn, they have looked into your soul, and they call out to you.”

 

“What does that mean?” She says not taking her eyes off the blade.

 

“You are its rightful owner. You are to wield the Mani Katti.”

 

“No… I can’t… I couldn’t…”

 

“It is the sword’s wish. If you require proof, draw it from its sheath.”

 

“Um…” She pulls on the sword and it comes out without a struggle.

 

“It came out… effortlessly.”

 

“I never dared hope that I might meet the wielder of the Mani Katti in my life. I am indeed fortunate to see your sword reach your hands.”

 

“The spirits really did pick the best person for the job.” I say putting a hand on her shoulder. “It’s proof that you, Lyn are destined to face many ordeals. So, tell me Lyn. Are you ready to go headfirst into your destiny?”

 

Lyn nods her head and returns my statement with a smile.

 

“Yes sir!”

 

 

We exit the temple and continue our journey. Lyn continues to inspect the Mani Katti, while I carry Athena.

 

“So that is the Mani Katti… A blade with no equal.”

 

“This is all so unbelievable. Perhaps the most famous sword in all of Sacae… in my hand.”

 

“What’s so unbelievable, Lyn? That you are worthy of such a blade?”

 

Lyn looks at me and nods.

 

“Hmph. If the sword didn’t pick you then it wouldn’t be able to pick anyone else. You’re the only one I know that’s capable of living up to it.” I say with a smile. Athena surprisingly nods at the statement as well.

 

“Stop it! I… I’m nothing special!”

 

“Lyn, you’re more special than you realize.” I say with a grin. Her face turning red with a blush while Madelyn says “Ohhhh~?”. With Gawain also pitching in.

 

“Think of it this way. Some weapons feel more comfortable in your hand, right? Well, the Mani Jatti itself feels very comfortable with you. It also doesn’t appear that it accepts either of us.”

 

Lyn looking at me, breaks from here reverie. “It… does feel right in my hand. A blade that only I can wield. That seems reasonable enough. I can understand that. Look at it, Percy. This is the Mani Katti. This is… my sword. I must care for it well.”

 

“Are you gloating Lyn? How low, knowing I always wanted my own named blade.” I say building up fake tears in my eyes.

 

“You have that axe!” Gawain says yelling out not allowing me to bully Lyn.

 

“Tsk” I look at Gawain with a pout.

 

 

(In Caelin’s Castle)

 

“What? Madelyn’s daughter is still alive?”

 

“Uhh… Yes, Lord Lundren. The girl is traveling with Kent and Sain, as well as three unknown individuals. What are your orders? If we let them be…”

 

“Bah! I’ve heard that northern Bern is full of bandits. She’s just a girl. She’ll not survive her journey here. I’m more concerned with my older brother. His life must be ended quickly. The poison… I will not accept any blunders.”

 

“Yes m’lord. He suspects nothing and continues to drink it. The marquess’s death, due no doubt to “sudden illness”, is not far off.”

 

“Heh heh heh. Soon… Soon Caelin will be mine!”

4