Chapter 18: Band of Mercenaries
94 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Hmm… Should I purchase some summon skills…'

'Actually, I'll get a proper sword weapon. I can't keep using this Wind Edge.'

[Host can unlock the forging system and proceed to create his own weapon that way.]

'Let's do that then. Purchase the forging system.'

[Host has purchased the forging system. Please choose the style of blade.]

'A western sword with a lion's head where the blade is coming out.'

[Please choose sword class:
Slim
Bronze
Iron
Steel
Silver
Glass
Killer
Brave
Breaker
Devil
Blessed
Superior
Blade
Storm Sword
Magic Sword
El tomes]

'Storm Sword.'

[Host has chosen Storm Sword. Please choose…]

After a few minutes of designing my sword I achieved the result I wanted.

The sword I picked looked quite large for a one-handed blade. The hilt is decorated with knights charging and at the guard is a lion whose mouth opens to let the blade flow freely. The blade's color is a beautiful silver. The scabbard is black in color. It has a very simple design. Only a single lion on a hill overlooking the moon.

The sword was a storm sword meaning it has the capabilities of ranged attacks. For ranged attacks I decided to copy Vergil's method of ranged sword attacks. A sphere of sword strikes would surround the target leaving cuts all over. The sword grants the host +10 speed and +10 strength. As well as the ability to summon the sword to the user's hand at any time and the ability to heal.

'Create.'

[Host has created 'unnamed blade'. Would Host like to name the blade?]

'I'll name it later when I come up with one.'

'It's been 10 days since we've left the plains…'

"Percy!" Lyn shakes me.

"Hmm?" I say waking up from a daze.

"Are you alright? I was calling your name and you weren't responding."

"Sorry I was thinking about something. Is there an issue?"

Lyn looks at me worried. "You know you can talk to me about anything." She says giving me a smile.

"Thanks, Lyn. But it isn't anything serious!" I say returning the smile. She hesitates for a minute.

"This village…" She starts to say but can't finish her sentence.

I turn to look at what she's talking about and my eyes go wide. Every building burnt to the ground.

Bodies gone to who knows where. The stone around the buildings crumble due to the lack of maintenance on them.

"This place… It's…" Lyn starts up again.

"It's in ruins. Looks to be the work of bandits…" I say sighing.

"Why doesn't their marquess do anything to help?" Sain asks from the side on horseback.

"Taliver Mountain is home to a gang of vicious, ruthless bandits. No marquess holds power here…"

She looks down at her feet and her mother walks over to hold her hand. She also pulls me closer.

Madelyn starts to speak up. "Our village was near here, on the other side of the mountain. Our people were…"

"The Taliver bandits came at night. All it took was one night… The survivors numbered less than ten, including us." Lyn says picking up where her mother dropped her sentence.

"They're soulless beasts. I will never forgive them. Never."

"Lyn…" I look at her guilt on my face for not being able to save her tribe. Madelyn shakes her head and Athena leans her head on me.

"I am not running away. I will be back… someday. I'll be stronger… I will break their swords beneath me like twigs beneath a stallion's hooves. I will avenge my people. I'll do everything in my power."

She says with a determined look and then mumbles "With Percy by my side, nothings impossible." with a red face.

"What was that Lyndis?" Her mother says with a smile squeezing Lyn's hand.

"No-nothing."

"Naturally you can count on me. I'll help you through any trouble you encounter, Lyn!" Madelyn's smile growing wider at that comment while Lyn looks away.

"When the time comes, bring me with you." Sain says.

"Don't forget me, either." Kent rides over to input.

"Thank you…"

...

From a distance we can hear shouting of a barbaric sounding man.

"Wait right there, little lady! What are going to do to apologize? Huh?"

Another voice rings out, a meek girl by the sounds of it.

"Uh… I… That is, I…"

"Hey, she's quite a catch, eh, Migal? I bet the boss'd give us a pretty penny for her."

"Yeah. She roughed me up a bit, so I figure fair's fair. It's no more'n she deserves."

"I… I…"

Walking over towards the sound I see a young girl with long purple hair. She's riding a Pegasus and
is carrying a spear on it's harness. 'Looks like we made it in time to rescue Florina…'

I pull out my new blade and get ready for combat. Looking for a time to jump in and make sure she isn't hurt.

What are we gonna do with her flying mule?"

"Don't you dare touch her!" She yells out in a furor.

"What? You just watch your mouth, girlie!"

Do what you will with me, just… Let her go. Please, I beg of you."

"Ha ha ha! Silly twit Pegas-" While talking the bandit is surrounded by a sphere. The bandits around
him panic at the sudden sphere.

"Run!" I shout to the young girl. She hops on her Pegasus and flies towards us.

The rest of the group realizing I pulled out a sword and yelled out turn towards the direction I'm facing.

Lyn seeing the Pegasus flying towards us yells out towards it.

"Florina? Is that you, Florina?"

"Ah! Lyn?"

"Florina! What are you doing in a place like this?"

"Lyn is it really you? I… I…" Florina starts to tear up at seeing her old friend.

"Come now, no crying!"

"I'm sorry."

Kent entering the conversation asks, "Are you acquaintances?"

"Not the time for that conversation! I'd like a little help with the bandits in front of us!" I yell out exasperated.

"Ah! Sorry Percy!" Lyn shouts out.

"Just go warn that village to the West!" I shout back and turn my attention back to the bandits.

"Don't rush in by yourself!" Lyn says as she heads to the village.

'Doesn't look like there's any threats in that crowd… Other than maybe that archer… Well time to rush in.'

--
(Inside the Village)

"Is anyone there?" Lyn says approaching the village.

"Leave us alone, you thugs!"

"Go away! Go away! We've no more gold for you!"

"No, wait! Please! We're not bandits! We want to help the village. Please listen!"

"Remain inside, everyone." An unknown male voice says speaking over everyone. "I'll go see what's happening."

He walks outside and sees Lyn standing there armed with a sword.

"Not bandits, huh? So, who are you?"

"My name is Lyn. My colleagues and I are just traveling through here…" She turns to look in the direction of the fight. "We saw some bandits about. We're going to deal with them, but we need you to go warn the villagers." She heads back out to try and help Percival with the fight.

"Hey! Wait!" Wil shouts out behind her. She stops and turns to him. "The name's Wil. I'm a traveler of sorts, too. These villagers have been kind to me. I'd like to fight alongside you."

Lyn pleased with the turn of events smiles. "Not at all. We need all the help we can get! Welcome aboard, Wil!"

Wil exits the village and sees a bandit near Florina. He pulls out his bow and lines up an arrow. The arrow pierces the bandits eye killing him instantly. Florina seeing this dashes away from that bandit and charges the next. Kent and Sain slaughter a path forward from their position trying to reach Percival, who is distracting 4 of the bandits.

I'm surrounded on all sides by bandit's with my new blade in my hands. I look around to see where my allies are and see them making short work of the other bandits.

"I can't let them show me up!" I charge the bandit in front of me and thrust my blade into his eye.

Upon seeing my action the bandits, instead of attacking, back away in fear. Taking advantage of this I charge the next and decapitate him. The last two start shaking in their boots. They rush forward at me trying to get rid of the demon in front of them.

"Nice try, but you should have done that earlier!" I retaliate by parrying their strikes and doing a
single slash motion taking both out. I turn around and look at Migal. I raise my right hand to block the axe strike. I catch it in my hand but feel searing pain from it. I move my hand down to the handle and take the axe from him.

He looks at me and says "You'll live to regret this… My brothers… The Ganelon bandits will not let this s-…" My sword pierces his neck. "You're taking way too long with your threats. Work on that in the next life." I pull the sword out of his neck and shake it to wipe the blood off it. I sheathe it and turn back to the group.

I see Lyn taking out the last bandit with a swift slash to his throat. I nod to the group and return to them. I hide my injured hand behind me, because I don't want to hear anyone complain about my lack of planning. My ear receives enough pain as it is.

Lyn looks over to me and sees me giving her a thumbs up and a smile. Gawain and Madelyn run over to us and look over everyone. 'Madelyn definitely saw me get wounded with the look she's giving me.' Her eyes threatening me to tell or she'll do it. 'I'm not going to tell. I don't want to get yelled at.'
Madelyn walks besides me with Athena in her arms. "You better tell her before I do. Or else."

Lyn walks over with the rest of the team.

"That's finally taken care of." She says looking over everyone.

"Lyn!" Florina flys over and lands. Jumping off her Pegasus to hug her.

"Florina… Why did you follow me? It's so dangerous?"

Florina ignoring the question looks at Lyndis with excitement.

"Do you remember the knighting ceremony of the Pegasus Knights of Ilia?"

"Yes, you join a band of freelance soldiers to further your training… Is that what bought you here, Florina?"

She nods her head. "Uh-huh… I wanted to talk to you before I set out. But when I went to Sacae I heard that you left with some strangers, and…"

"You were worried for me? Thank you, but I'm more worried about you."

"Me?" Florina says looking confused.

"Listen, most mercenaries are men, right? Bands of men? I can't imagine you being at all comfortable around them."

"I know… I just have always dreamt of being a Pegasus knight. I imagine it would… just work out.

Somehow. After today, I'm not so sure… maybe… I should… just… give up…" She says tearing up.

"Florina… Don't cry…"

"Yes! There's no need to give up your dream!" Sain shouts suddenly. 'This should be good…' I think
looking at Sain. 'He might act like a clown, but he certainly has a way with words.'

"Lovely Florina! I have the most brilliant idea! With the addition of Wil here, we're a fine group of soldiers, and freelance to boot!"

"Wait, did you just include me?"

"Of course! We were destined to meet here! It's fate! Come now, Lyndis's band of mercenaries is as good a training group as you will find anywhere!"

"Sain… This is no joking matter!" Kent looks at Sain exasperated.

"No, Kent, Sain has a good idea for once." I say backing up Sain.

Kent looks at me shocked at my betrayal, but I just shrug my shoulders. "I can appreciate a good idea when I see one. No matter who's giving it." I say giving Sain a look.

"Lyndis? Um, Lyn? Mercenaries?"

Lyn amused at all the interactions turns to Florina. "I can give you details later. This is all a bit rushed. However, Sain is right. Will you come with us, Florina?"

"Travel with you, Lyn? Truly? I would be so… so happy!"

Sain hopping with pure joy that he has another woman to flirt with says "Fantastic! Beauteous

Florina! I am a knight of Caelin." He steps closer to her. "My name is Sain…"

Florina stumbles back and hides behind Lyn.

"Eeek! Stay back! Don't get so close."

"Ah… Beautiful, and yet so modest!"

"Did I say Sain was right? I'm sorry can I take that back?" I say looking on at this spectacle.

"I beg your forgiveness. Calling us mercenaries…" Kent says bowing his head.

"No, I approve. We can't leave Florina on her own. She requires special attention, though. Can I count on you?"

"Yes! You have but to ask."

Wil looking around at the joyous moment walks up beside me.

"So… is it really all right if I travel with you?" He looks towards me. I give him a nod and Lyn responds. "Oh, yes. Of course! If you're willing, Wil."

Wil looks at his feet a bit bashful. "Actually, I'm very grateful… Truth be told, all of my money was stolen, and I'm… at a bit of a crossroads. I would be honored to count myself one of Lyndis's Legion!"

I look at Wil and pat his shoulder. "That's a great mercenary name!"

I start laughing but stop noticing I'm the only one doing so. I look up at the group to see what the issue is, but all I see is Athena looking at me with a frown. Lyn with a worried expression and Madelyn giggling to herself.

'What did I-' I look at where Wil was standing and where I patted his shoulder. He has blood on his shoulder, but he clearly isn't wounded.

"Percival… Let me see your hand…" Lyn says approaching me. "Haha! It's nothing to worry about Lyn!" I go about hiding my hand behind my back, while backing away.

"Percival stop right there!"

"Sir Percival it's best you let her treat your hand before you receive another wound."

"Fine… but it's not because I rushed in without a plan! It happened because he caught me unaware…" I say looking at the group.

They all nod, but I have a feeling they don't believe me.

Lyn grabs a hold of my uninjured arm and drags me to a large stone and has me sit on it. She pulls out some vulneraries from her pouch, along with some wraps.

"I cannot believe you'd try to hide this wound from me!" Lyn says with a glare.

"It's not that bad. I've suffered worse." I say looking away.

"I can't have you getting hurt, Percy…" She says applying the medicine and wrapping my hand. She looks at me with a gentle smile while holding my hand up. "Now is that better? If you get wounded and hide it from me again, you are going to sit out from any fights we get into."

"You wouldn't!"

"I would!"

Madelyn laughs loudly at us arguing. "I told you to tell her! You wouldn't have any problems if you did!"

4