Chapter 19: In the Shadows
107 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ah, this place should suffice! Tonight’s bed!” Wil says looking at a fortress that hasn’t been maintained in years. Maybe even decades.

 

“This moldy old fortress? Is this the best we can do? Come, Wil! Surely you jest!” Sain says not wanting to sleep in that old fortress.

 

“The bandits keep everything in turmoil around here. No one has time to worry about travelers. And there are rather a lot of us.” Wil responds.

 

“It’s the best we are going to find for right now. I say we rest here.” I say walking over to the fortress.

 

“This will be fine. Who wants to be stuck inside, anyway? I prefer a place where I can feel the wind blow.” Lyn says walking behind me.

 

“As long as I’m at Lyn’s side, I’ll be fine.” Florina says following behind.

 

“And for your protection, your man-at-arms Sain will be right here by your side, ladies.” He says weirdly excited.

 

“Sain, both you and I are to remain awake. We will alternate the watch.” Kent chimes in.

 

“Yeah, Sain and Kent should be a good idea to keep watch. You’re both trained for it.” I say yawning.

 

“Ah, alas…”

 

“Your pardon, milady…” A young woman at the fort calls our attention.

 

“Who’s there?” Lyn asks stopping at the entrance.

 

“I… Forgive my intrusion… My name’s Natalie. I’m from a village not far from here… Ah! Ow…”

 

“Ma’am it’s best if you just sit down and don’t put any weight on it.” I say looking at her leg.

 

“It’s fine. Don’t worry. It’s from a childhood sickness… I can’t travel far on it, but it doesn’t trouble me much.”

 

“What are you doing here all by yourself?” Lyn lets her guard down as she approaches the woman.

 

‘It’s fine for her, since she’s Dorcas’ wife. I have to teach her not to let her guard down though…’

 

“I’m looking for my husband… I heard he was in this area. He said he was going to raise money to have my leg mended. He left the village and hasn’t returned. He’s a kindhearted man, but I think he might be involved in something dangerous. I got so worried…” She turns to pull out something from her pouch. From the corner of my eye I can see everyone else relaxed as well.

 

‘I need to work on that for all of them it looks like…’

 

“Here’s a sketch of him. It’s a poor likeness at best, but… His name is Dorcas. Do you know of him?”

 

Lyn takes the sketch and looks at it. “I’m sorry. I don’t believe I’ve seen or heard of him.”

 

“I see… if you do meet him, please give him a message. Tell him that Natalie is looking for him.”

 

“I will tell him. I promise.”

 

 

(After 30 Minutes)

 

“Here they are. We’ve finally tracked down that band that killed Migal.” (???)

 

“Carjiga are we attacking at night?”

 

“You’re an idiot, Ratface! There are only a few of them, and some are women! If we attacked them at night, I’d be a laughingstock! Besides, we might hurt the women by mistake! I will not be so wasteful!”

 

“You’re right! You’re so smart!” The bandit named Ratface says trying to kiss ass.

 

“We’ll avenge Migal and get some pretty souvenirs to boot. Who knows, maybe I’ll be a leader after all. Ha Ha Ha! Let’s go! Spread out and encircle the place! Let’s finish this before it gets too dark to see!” Carjiga looks around and spots the new face in the crew. “Hey, you! Your name’s… Dorcas, right?”

 

Dorcas nods at the question.

 

“You haven’t done much since you joined us. If those weapons of yours aren’t just for show, today’s the day to let us see what you can do. Go attack the back entrance to the east. There’s supposed to be a woman inside. Capture her and I’ll increase your share. If you want gold, you’ll get the job done.” The bandit turns back towards the fort.

 

Dorcas mumbles to himself. “A bunch of women, huh? It would break Natalie’s sweet heart to see me sink so low…”

 

 

“Oh, here you are! How delicious! My blade shall feast well tonight, won’t it?” A shadowy figure says looking down at the group inside the fort and the bandits outside.

 

“Now, which… one… first? Wait! Hold it! There are some nasty ones mixed in with the rest. Mustn’t get one of them. Might ruin my sword’s appetite…”

 

 

‘The assassin that Sonia sent for me should take this opportunity to attack me when this battle with the bandits start…’ I look towards Lyn and see the group getting ready to sleep. ‘I’ll pull him away from the group so they don’t get hurt…’

 

“Lady Lyndis! Outside the fortress! Bandits!” Kent shouts out and rides inside.

 

“Persistent bunch, aren’t they? What do you think? Shall we go out and face them?” Said says readying his weapons.

 

“No… Natalie cannot move well, and that would put her in danger. Let them come to us. We’ll fight here, within these walls.” I grab my sword and move towards the southernmost wall. “Percy where are you going?” Lyn says looking at me.

 

“I’ll take care of the southern side. Sain and Wil take the west wall. There’s a damaged part they can climb over. Make sure they don’t get through.” Both nod at that. “Kent, Lyn, Florina take care of the east wall. Gawain watch over the people that can’t fight.”

 

“Wait!” Lyn tries to stop me from rushing out, but I’m already gone.

 

I dash out and stand in front of the entrance to the fort. “Let’s see… Dorcas is off to the east. Lyn should recognize him… That bandit leader is just sitting over there wasting my time…” While I’m talking a bandit charges at me. I dodge his strike and slash out. ‘This is just going to be a headache…’

 

Kent, Florina and Lyn head to the east wall passing by the main entrance where Percival is fighting. The three stop after seeing him kill the bandits effortlessly.

 

“H-He’s str-strong!” Florina says looking on.

 

Kent caught up in watching the ferocious style nods.

 

“We need to guard the east. We cannot hold him back.” Lyn says turning to the east and rushing off.

 

“Right!” They both yell following after her.

 

When they reach the entrance they are greeted by an axe flying at them. They dodge it and and Lyn notices a familiar looking man catching the axe returning to him.

 

“You! Tell me, are you Dorcas?”

 

“……How do you know my name?”

 

“Natalie told me. What are you doing with these rogues?”

 

“I need money…”

 

“That may be, but… joining up with mercenaries?”

 

“For gold? Anything? Would you hurt your wife?”

 

“What!?”

 

“Natalie is here! We’re protecting her within this fortress! She was so worried that she came looking for you. Think, Dorcas! Would your actions please your wife?”

 

“……. You’re right. I understand. I can’t do this. I’m done with these bandits. Here and now. Allow me to fight with you.”

 

Dorcas moves into the fortress and spots his wife.

 

“Natalie!”

 

“Dorcas? Is it you?”

 

“Are you all right? What were you thinking, coming out all this way?”

 

“I was worried about you. Please, don’t let my leg trouble you anymore. You mustn’t put yourself in such danger. Please!”

 

“I’m sorry. I must have been out of my head. I didn’t realize… That girl Lyn made me open my eyes.”

 

“Lyndis brought you here?”

 

“I’ll explain later. First we must deal with the bandits. Don’t move from here.”

 

“All right. As long as you’re here, I know I’m safe.” She says smiling at Dorcas who runs off to join the fray.

 

 

‘Hmm… The assassin hasn’t tried anything yet…’ I say my mind occupied by that thought. Looking around the field I see corpses of bandits that tried to kill me, but none successful. ‘Maybe he’s waiting to tire me out and to strike in my sleep…’ After decapitating the last bandit near me I turn towards the rest. ‘About five left around the boss. The east should be covered and Sain should be able to distract them long enough for Wil to take them out.

 

Seeing no other bandits other than the boss and his guards by my side I rush towards him.

 

I strike my blade out at him and he manages to block it.

 

“Urgh! How? Why are you so tough?” He looks at his guards and yells to them. “Bring more men here right away!”

 

One of the bandits tries to run away but is surrounded by a sphere of blades. “No running!” I say as I cut down another bandit. I rush towards the boss again and pierce through his axe. My sword pierces his chest and he spits out his final words. “Arrgh… This isn’t… Not me…” I pull the sword out and cut down the other bandit beside him. ‘That’s taken care of let’s see how the others are handling it.

 

I return to the fort and see Sain and Wil taking out the last bandit on their side. While Dorcas in the east takes out the last bandit.

 

I move back inside the fort and look towards our recruit. He looks towards me and looks at the carnage behind me. Before he can react his wife runs out.

 

“Dorcas!”

 

He turns away from the carnage and looks at his injured wife. “I’m so sorry, Natalie.”

 

“All’s well that ends well. Right, Natalie?” Lyn says walking up to the duo.

 

Dorcas nods his head and says “Our village is close. I’ll take Natalie home and return tomorrow.”

 

“Hm? Why can’t we just say our farewells today?” Lyn says not thinking about recruiting him due to his wife.

 

“Well, I… I spoke with I… I’ve been invited to join your group.”

 

“But we’re going to Lycia…”

 

“I have to go somewhere to earn money. If you think I’ll be of use, I’d like to fight for you. You helped my wife… I owe you.”

 

“Dorcas…”

 

“Please, Lyn. We are both in agreement on this. Watch over my husband.”

 

Lyn nods and I walk over to Natalie. “You said your leg was injured in a childhood accident or sickness? Let me see what I can do…”

 

I grab a hold of my sword and cast the healing spell attached to it on her leg.

 

“Try seeing if there’s any pain now.”

 

She walks around and begins to grow tears in her eyes.

 

“Thank you!” She says before bursting into tears. “My leg is fixed!”

 

Dorcas walks up to me and bows, but I stop him before he does. “Thank you for helping my wife!”

 

“No need to bow. We’ll be working together for a little bit. It’s the least I can do for my crew.” I say with a smile.

 

After a few brief thank yous from the couple they head back to their village. I go over to Gawain. “Keep an eye out. I’m thinking a Black Fang assassin is coming after me soon. Especially with what I’ve shown him today. He’ll think I’ll be tired.”

 

Gawain nods and turns his attention back to guarding Madelyn and Athena.

 

 

“Things have finally calmed down.” Lyn says looking to her knights.

 

“We’ll continue taking turns keeping watch. Please rest easily.”

 

“Is that all right? Are you sure? Sain?”

 

“Oh! Er, yes! Of course!”

 

“Let me warn you… If bandits sneak up on you, they’ll cut you down without mercy. Do you understand that?”

 

Sain getting a bit heated replys “What, do you doubt my bravery? Am I not a Knight? There’s no need to worry! Right, Kent?”

 

“If there’s anything suspicious, We’ll take care of it. Rest assured.”

 

“Really? Well, good night then. See you tomorrow.”

 

Lyn walks back to the group to rest. I walk over to Sain and pat his shoulder. “You’ll be fine. She’s just worried about you two.” I nod towards the both of them. “You’ll be able to handle anything you two set your eyes on!”

 

Kent and Sain look at me and nod. Their energy revitalized after a pep talk. “Let’s go.” He says looking to Sain.

 

“Ha! No one ever trusts me…” Sain says looking over his shoulder towards me. “Thanks, Percy!” He says towards me.

 

I nod and go to take a rest.

 

 

At least I would be if there wasn’t an assassin lurking around.

 

I rest my head against a wall and keep my eyes slightly open. They are trained on the two knights so whoever it isn’t doesn’t harm them.

 

‘Schwing’

 

The sound of a sword leaving it’s scabbard resounds in my ears. I see a rather faint light heading for Kent’s neck, but I react faster with my Fairy eyes. Reaching Kent in time I block the strike.

 

“Kent get Sain and guard the rest of the group. Don’t wake them up.” Kent hears my voice and turns. Seeing me guarding him from a strike from a cloak wearing figure.

 

“Come now, Percy, there’s no need to be so rude. I just wanted to see what his blood looked like!” I parry his sword and kick him away. Kent runs off with Sain towards the rest of the group. ‘Hopefully he doesn’t wake up Lyn. They’ll have more questions then I’ll be ready to answer…’

 

Jerme strikes out at me and catches me off guard. The sword would have struck my arm, but I manage to move out of the way. “Heh! Getting slow Lion!” His next strike aims for my neck, but a swift kick to his sword arm knocks him off course. Another kick to his sword arm makes him stagger back. “Are you losing your touch?” He says continuously mocking me.

 

‘Idiot thinks that’s enough to make me lose my cool and make a mistake.’

 

“Percy!” I hear Lyn’s voice shout behind me. ‘Ah shit. I should finish this faster before h-‘ A fireball appears in my line of sight. I use my ranged sword strike to intercept, but Jerme uses this opportunity to dash past me towards the back. He aims his dagger at Lyn and tries to kill her, but Gawain is there to knock him back with a swift kick to the chest.

 

“Heh heh! I’ll tell you what Percival. You let me skin that woman and use her as ribbons I’ll let you run away!”

 

Lyn offended at this like any normal person would be glares at him. “You…”

 

Jerme not hearing my response turns towards me, but when he does he’s greeted by my fist.

 

“Tocuhed a sore spot?” He says coughing out blood. “Looks like you have something to protect, boy!” He gets up from his spot and tries to dash past me. I block his strikes towards the rest of the group and with a final swing cut off his sword hand.

 

“You’re getting soft Lion!” A wind blade strikes my back. ‘Tsk!’

 

Gawain starts to move in front of the group and pulls out his blade. He looks in the direction of the magic spells and swings. His slash lights up the entire forest and in it a hooded figure is cut in half.

 

Jerme seeing this, panics. He tries to dash to escape, but my sword catches him. A final slash to his throat sending him to his peace.

 

“G-Gwaah… It hurts… These…cuts…” His life fading from his eyes.

 

“Percy! Are you alright? Lyn says running up to me with a hand on my back.” Gawain also approaches and Athena has tears in her eyes.

 

“Doesn’t look deep kid. Should be fine with a vulnerary.” Gawain says inspecting the wound.

 

“Thanks.” I turn back to the group. “Let’s get back to sleep. There shouldn’t be anymore people lurking around now. Kent and Sain keep up watch.”

 

They both look at me with guilt filled expressions not seeing the attack coming.

 

“It’s not something you two would be able to handle yet. You haven’t dealt with assassins yet. So, don’t worry over something stupid.” I say looking at the two of them.

 

“Yes sir!” They both yell before returning to watch.

 

Lyn pulls me over to the room we’re sleeping and starts to tend to my wound.

 

“Lyn it’ll heal with just the vulnerary. You don’t have to keep tending to it.”

 

“It’ll get infected otherwise, so I don’t want to hear it.”

 

Florina and Madelyn giggle in the corner watching the interaction while Athena snuggles into my arms.

 

“If you stop getting hurt, then I wouldn’t have to do this.”

 

“Tsk!”

 

“Don’t ‘Tsk!’ at me Percival!” She says with a reprimanding tone. She moves from my back and looks at me. “I don’t want you getting hurt because of me…”

 

I look at her and nod. “I’ll be more careful for you Lyn.”

 

 

We continue our journey to the border of Bern.

4