Chapter 20: Beyond the Borders
85 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We’ve almost reached the Lycian border.” Kent says observing the landscape.

 

“Once we cross, we’ll be safe from the bandits, right?” Lyn says tired of the constant bandit attacks.

 

“We should be. I doubt they’ll be willing to pursue us across the border.” Wil moves to fix his bow over his shoulder, but is pushed aside by Sain who goes into a monologue.

 

“Lycia at last! It’s been a long time. Tomorrow, we’ll dine on a feast of Lycia’s finest foods. And the mistress of the inn at the crossing is said to be a beauty. Ah, yes… Food and love. No better way to restore a man’s soul! This is going to be a fine evening, eh, Kent?”

 

“If your behavior is as deplorable as ever, we’d best stay elsewhere. We’re not here for sightseeing.” Kent shakes his head.

 

“Once we reach Caelin I’ll have to put you two through some training…” I say looking at the both of them.

 

“Oh, come now! That’s not fair!” Sain says loudly.

 

“You will be perfectly fine under his guidance Sain. Kent the inn will be fine.”

 

“As you say, milady.”

 

“Lyndis! You are truly an angel from on high!”

 

“It nothing. Forget it.” She says responding. We continue our journey while Lyn and Florina step closer together to have a word.

 

“Ah! We’ll finally be able to get a good night’s sleep.” Florina says a bit too soon.

 

Bandits appear from the mountains to the east of the group.

 

“Ah! Here they are! Over here lads!”

 

“What? Not again! They’re still after us?” Wil pulling his bow off his back turns to face the bandits.

 

“Heh heh heh. Don’t think you’re getting away so easily. You leave alive, and everyone’ll think the Ganelon Bandits have gone soft.”

 

“So annoying. When we reach Caelin I’m going to come back just to wipe out the bandits in this mountain range…” I mumble to myself.

 

“Cheeky bastard! Let’s get ‘em, lads! And no holding back cause of the women! Wipe ‘em out!”

 

While the bandits yell to go rush into battle two people enter the field.

 

“Oooh… We’re lost. This makes me so mad!” A lightish purple haired girl says. Her hair tied up in pigtails with a flowing purple scarf going along her back. Wearing white gloves that match the white dress she seems to be wearing. In her hands is a staff with a blue orb at the tip.

 

‘Looks like Serra and Erk are here finally. Having a healer is going to help a lot with the rest of the journey.’

 

The other figure is a male. His hair is purple as well, but it’s medium length. On his back is a hooded cape that’s colored red with a golden outlining. His shirt colored blue, while his pants are a plainish brown. In his hands is a book. Erk a student of the Mage General of Etruria, Count Reglay or Pent. A kingdom on the Elibe continent. Its military might matches Bern’s.

 

“You told me you were certain this was the correct path.”

 

“What’s your point, Erk? What are you trying to say?”

 

“…I swear, you are NOT the woman I agreed to escort…” He mumbles out.

 

“What? What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“I heard someone was needed to escort a frail Lycian priestess to Ostia…” He shakes his head and looks away from Serra.

 

“Yes, and I’m that priestess.”

 

“Frail? You? Serra, you have no need of any escort to protect you. Even the most hardened criminal would flee in terror after five minutes in your company. I’ll return your money. Gladly. Now, will you please go on to Ostia alone?” He says. He truly suffered on his journey with her.

 

“NO! You’re MY escort, Erk! MINE! You’re so clean and tidy. A noblewoman like myself can’t be seen without a proper escort. Your personality’s nothing special, but you’re not bad to look at.”

 

“I believe that’s my line. And I have to take you all the way to Ostia. I only hope my nerves can endure the journey.” He mumbles out in frustration.

 

“What are you mumbling about? You’re so gloomy! Hm? Something’s happening over there. Let’s take a look!” Quickly distracted by another event around her she rushes off leaving Erk alone.

 

“Ah. Of course. The first opportunity to get involved in trouble, and she jumps right in. No amount of money is worth this. Hoo…”

 

The duo move closer to our group before Serra stops.

 

“Wow! A fight! A fight! Erk! Take a look! Fighting those bandits… It’s a young girl!”

 

“Fool! Keep your voice down!”

 

A bandit hearing the two argue rushes over to them.

 

“Eh? What’s this? You in league with that she-devil?” He says raising his bow at the duo.

 

“Ah… This is so wrong…” Erk says looking disappointed at his circumstances.

 

“Gyaaa! I’ll take care of you with one swift stroke!”

 

“Erk! Help me!!!”

 

“So… loud… Serra! Behind me! You there! See if you can match me!” The archer launches an arrow towards Erk. Erk dodges the attack and fires back his own in retaliation. A fireball coming out of the magic circle he made striking the bandit in his face. The bandit catches on fire and falls to the ground trying to put it out.

 

“That scream… Look! Percy, someone’s over there!” Lyn shouts out looking towards Serra and Erk. “Lyn go talk to them and see what they’re doing.” I say looking towards them. “I’ll distract them for you.” I rush into the fight.

 

“Percival! Stop rushing into the fight!” Lyn says exasperated as she moves towards the duo.

 

“Excuse me… Hello?” Lyn says approaching them.

 

“Hm?” Serra turns towards Lyn.

 

“Why are you fighting these bandits?”

 

Erk taking this chance to respond before Serra ruins the conversation. “…It just happened.”

 

“That’s not true! Those ruffians thought that we were with you!!! You got us into this terrible situation! Now, how are you going to get us out?” Serra starts screaming at Lyn.

 

“Serra, if you’d not been so meddlesome, this all could have been avoided. My apologies. Please trouble yourself with us no more.”

 

“But… if you’re going to have to fight anyway, shouldn’t we team up? It will end things faster, right?”

 

“That’s true. Yes! That’s a good idea. Erk! Go and help these ladies.”

 

“I’m not a lady!” I yell out cutting down a bandit.

 

“But I… Fine!” Erk turns back to the bandits.

 

“Very good. My name’s Lyn. So tell me, will you join arms with us?”

 

“Yes, we’d be glad to. My name is Serra. This is my escort, Erk. Be a good boy, and go fight now, Erk.”

 

Lyn hearing this turns to join the battle and Serra moves further to the back line.

 

Erk lets out a heavy sigh before charging in.

 

 

I rush towards the closest bandit and cut him down. The bandit beside him has an arrow shot through his eye. The next was set ablaze. Sain and Kent are charging through the bandits’ right flank. Lyn rushes forward and starts a fight with the boss of the bandits.

 

“You’re gonna learn why people fear the Ganelon Bandits!”

 

Lyn and the bandit leader start exchanging blows. Lyn manages to sidestep most of the attacks but ends up with a slash on her sword arm. “Tsk!” she manages to land a strike on the bandit’s weapon wielding arm. They continue the fight while I keep the rest of the bandits away from her. Lyn manages to get through the bandit leader’s defense and stabs through his chest.

 

“Blaaaah… Scum… You’re all scum…”

 

She removes the blade from his chest and returns to the fight. The bandits seeing the leader killed fight with even stronger furor. Sain and Kent are injured at the end of the fight as well, but nothing life threatening. I walk over to Lyn and look at her would.

 

“Doesn’t appear to be to bad. Looks like you got hurt instead of me this time Lyn.” I cast the heal spell with my sword. The wound on the her arm has been healed. “There, that should help.”

 

“Thank you, Percy.” Kent and Sain both look to me expecting me to do something. “Priestess do you mind healing those two.”

 

“Nicely done. That should just about do it.” Lyn says looking around the battlefield.

 

“What a surprise. You are very strong, Lyn.” Serra says lifting her staff healing the two knights.

 

“Your staff is a wondrous thing. Healing powers amaze me… Wait, Percy how are you healing me without a staff?”

 

“Only those in the service of good can wield these staves. You can also heal others?” The priestess looks towards me.

 

“It’s a blessing granted to my sword.” I say responding to them.

 

Everyone in the group looks towards my sword. “Wait. What’s the name of it?” Sain says looking at it.

 

“Regulus.” I think of using the name of the brightest star in the Leo constellation.

 

“I’ve never heard of that blade before. Its design is very lion-centric…” Erk says looking at it.

 

I give him a smile. “I think it’s very fitting.”

 

Erk looks at me confused and then nods. “If you believe so.”

 

“You helped us tremendously. Well, it’s time for us to go.” Lyn says looking towards Caelin’s direction.

 

“Take care. Good-bye, Lyn.”

 

“Fare you well. You, too, Erk.” Lyn says nodding to the group.

 

“Good-bye.” I wave to them and start to head off. ‘Wait where’s Sain.’

 

“What have we here? Another wildflower? Perhaps a butterfly?” Sain says riding up beside Serra.

 

“Oh my! Are you one of Lyn’s companions?”

 

“Please, call me Sain.”

 

“I’m Serra. I serve House Ostia.”

 

“Serra… What a lyrical name. I am in service to Castle Caelin.”

 

“Oh! So is Lyn a member of the marquee’s family?”

 

“She is the graddaughter of our lord, the marquess.”

 

“Hmmm… Such an important person.”

 

“Serra… What deviousness are you contemplating now?”

 

“Tee hee! Having a person of power in your debt is never a bad thing!”

 

“You can’t be serious…”

 

“Oh, Sain! Do you think we could join the Lady Lyndis’s company? She seems like such a nice person, I would ever so much like to help her.”

 

“Of course! We couldn’t be happier!! Why, we were only just saying how we need some fighting power!”

 

“Are you being hunted or something?” Serra says questioningly.

 

“Yes, it’s an inheritance dispute. Assassins everywhere.”

 

“Oh my! In that case, my healing staff and Erk’s magic should come in handy.”

 

“Well, I, er… It sounds dangerous…”

 

“Your staff and magic would be extremely helpful! Please wait here! I will go speak with Lady Lyndis on your behalf.” Sain heads off towards Lyn.

 

“I… I.. I think I’m going to be ill.” Erk says looking at Sain running off.

 

--

 

(In Castle Caelin)

 

“That girl crossed the border!?”

 

“Yes, Lord Lundgren. She’s en route to Araphen…”

 

“Fool! Send out soldiers to meet her! Hold nothing back! Do anything it finish this now! First the old man, and now this girl… They cling to life like a drowning man to a rock! Double the poison’s strength! If he struggles, hold him down and pour it down his throat! Once the girl is gone, Caelin is mine. I will let no one stand in my way!” He says slamming his fist down on his chair.

3