Chapter 21: Blood of Pride
92 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We're finally in the city of Araphen now… The second largest city in Lycia." Madelyn says reminiscing about her past here.

"Is the marquess here going to be a problem for us Lady Madelyn?" I look towards her.

"He might be… He had the idea of marrying me in the past but…" She says looking down.

"Don't worry if he tries anything, he'll have me to face first." I say giving her a reassuring smile.

"It does seem awfully busy here. By the way, where's Kent?" Lyn says looking around.

"He said he was going ahead to the castle, but… Ah, here he comes now." Sain points to Kent approaching us on horseback.

"Lady Madelyn, Lady Lyndis! Let us proceed to the castle. They've prepared supplies for us. The marquess has agreed to aid us on our journey to Caelin."

"He's going to help us?" Lyn asks while Madelyn looks suspiciously at the castle.

"Yes. Araphen and Caelin have enjoyed a sturdy friendship for many years. Once I informed the marquess our plight, he agreed to lend us his strength."

"Looks like we've got a smooth road ahead!" Sain says celebrating early.

"If we could pick up some soldiers, the road to Caelin would be that much safer. I'm truly sorry for hardships you've suffered so far." Kent bows his head in apology.

"Don't be silly. You are so capable, Kent."

"Kent!?"

"Hm? Oh, and so are you, Sain."

"Of course, I am!"

Lyn looks over to my direction and sees me ignoring their conversation watching the castle. "Percy is…" She mumbles out while Madelyn walks over to me.

"He won't try anything inside his own city. He'll just let someone else do his dirty work." I look towards her. "If he does I'll-"

Athena grabs my arms. "Dad! Let's go! I want to see a castle!" Her eyes sparkling looking at the castle.

"Sure Athena. Let's go!"

(Inside the City)

The castle is burning, and smoke can be seen coming out of it.

I hand Athena over to Madelyn. "Gawain keep an eye out. I don't have a good feeling about this."

A man approaches our group.

"You! You're Lyndis, aren't you?"

"Ah! What do you-". He charges at Lyndis, but I intercept his strike. "Kent, Sain protect the backline! I'll deal with anyone that approaches our group!"

"Lyn step back a bit!" I say blocking another strike. His last strike is parried, and I grab his arm. Flipping him over I stab him.

"Keep an eye on each other! Don't lose each other in the panic!" I yell out.

An arrow pierces another assassin near us, killing him instantly.

'Looks like Rath decided to finally act.'

"Why did you help us?" Lyn looks towards the mounted man.

"I thought a Sacaean plainswoman was being attacked. I was mistaken." The man wearing a headband says looking towards us. His clothing looking much like a plainsman from Sacae. He hair a dark green. A staple for most Sacaean men.

"No, you were right! I am from Sacae. I'm Lyn, the daughter of the Lorca chieftan."

"The Lorca? There were survivors?"

"Yes, Percival saved us." The Sacaean man looks at me and sees me fighting off a few assassins.

"You should leave at once. A blaze has started in the castle and is spreading. Don't be foolish and waste the life I just saved."

"How severe is the fire and is the marquess safe?"

"The castle is under attack, and the marquess has been accosted. The man who attacked you was probably one of the marauders. As captain of the castle guard, it's my duty to rescue the marquess."

"I see… All right then, we'll help you. These brigands are after me. If they're attacking the castle, it's because of me. So I must help if I can… And Percy is already fighting them off…" She says look at me killing the fifth assassin near the group.

"It sounds like you're involved somehow… Let's go. I am Rath of the Kutolah. Our tribes may be different, but I will not abandon a woman of the Sacae."

--

I rush towards the next assassin but stop my blade at his neck. "Matthew? What are you doing here away from Hector?"

He looks at the blade at his neck and I move it away. "Sorry. I thought you were after my friends."

"I am here gathering information for Ostia, sir."

I nod at that. "Do you need help sir?" He says looking at me and the people behind me. "Sure. I'll use whatever help I can get. Lyn will need a thief sooner or later…"

"Let's go Matthew. I'll introduce you to the team later!"

"Don't tell them I'm with Ostia!" He says rushing behind me fighting off the assassins.

"Go towards the chests over there and grab the material."

He nods and rushes off as I return to the battle.

I rush towards the final assassin.

"Bah. Lyndis and her cadre. When did you arrive? No matter. I shall deal with you."

He slashes his dagger throats my neck and he receives a fist to the neck. Breaking it instantly.

"Gah! Lord Lundgren…"

I look over to the group and see them pulling levers all around the city. The leader I just killed seemed to be guarding one as well… I pull it and look towards the sound. A hidden passageway opens up and Lyn walks over to me.

She grabs a hold of my arm to stop me from rushing down the passageway. "We should let Rath take over from here. And don't think you're not in trouble for running off by yourself again."

"I'm not gonna stop…" I mumble out.

"What was that?" She says tightening her grip on my arm.

"Nothing boss!" I say looking at her. She doesn't release my arm as Rath leads us down the pathway.

We arrive in the castle and fight off the remaining assassins inside the castle.

"Ah, it's Rath! You've done well. What a performance!" An elderly man says.

"Sir… If you have praise, it should be given to this group." Rath looks at his feet.

"Hm? Who are you?"

"My name is Lyndis. I'm pleased you're well."

"Oh… It's you. You're Marquess Caelin's- Leave us, Rath. I would speak with this girl."

Rath leaves the room, but the marquess loses his only capable guard in doing so…

"Now… Lady Lyndis. Do you know the identity of those responsible for this uprorar."

"I believe it to be the work of my granduncle, Lundgren." She says with guilt.

"That's exactly right. Which means my castle has been damaged in your family's petty inheritance dispute."

"When I heard that Lady Madelyn's daughter was in trouble, I thought to lend my assistance… I find I've changed my mind. I withdraw my offer."

"Marquess Araphen! You gave me your word, my lord!"

"…Your name is Kent, is it not? You failed me of one most vital detail!"

"What... What do you mean?"

"This girl does resemble Lady Madelyn, but… I didn't expect to see her so tainted with the blood of Sacae."

Lyn clearly offended at this and Madelyn fuming in the back shout out "What?!?"

"Don't you feel the marquess would be troubled to meet this… nomadic mongrel?"

"You-!" Sain charges forward but is stopped by Kent.

"Sain! Hold! My apologies my lord Marquess."

"Hm… Your man is poorly disciplined."

"Marquess Araphen! Please... If you would grac-"

"That's enough Kent. Drop it." I say looking to the serious knight.

"…I hear Marquess Caelin is ill and abed. I question whether he will survive to meet this girl. In which case, his brother, Lundgren, will claim his title. And I certain-"

Before he finishes the sentence, Madelyn approaches him.

"I was correct in not seeing you as a competent man. A cowardly man like you has no right to disparage my daughter."

"Madelyn? Yo-you're still alive? Wa-wait I'll prov-provide the aid you need!"

Taking enough of his garbage rant, I notice Lyn no longer holding my arm. I squeeze her hand and then approach the Marquess.

"So the Marquess of Araphen is this lowly of a man… A noble such as yourself doesn't deserve his position…"

"Who ar-" A fist strikes out across his cheek. Another following after landing on his stomach.
"Percy!" Lyn runs up behind me and grabs me. "That's enough!" I stop swinging at the Marquess hearing Lyn and feeling her weight behind me.

"I am proud of the Sacae blood that runs through my veins. I will NOT accept aid from the one who disparages my heritage."

The marquess stunned by the fists and Lyn's statement stays silent as we exit.

(Outside the Castle)

"That was well done, milady and Percy! The marquess is a lout! Don't worry about anything. We're all here for you! Isn't that so, Kent?" Sain says ecstatic that I could take out his frustrations for him.

"I beg your forgiveness." Kent says looking down.

"Why are you apologizing, Kent?" Madelyn asks him.

"I've been so concerned with seeing you two to Caelin. I've failed to take your feelings into account."

"Is that so? No need to apologize. You put our safety above all. Hold your head up and be proud of your actions." She says looking towards Kent.

"Milady Madelyn…"

--

(Inside the Castle)

"Bah! Arrogant child! If she had but shed a single tear, I would have granted her request. We Lycian nobles will never understand those prideful savages." The marquess says not being aware of his surroundings.

"....Are those your true feelings towards the nomads of Sacae, milord?" Rath says.

"What? Oh, Rath! I didn't see you there. My comments do not reflect on you. You are my captain. I'm proud of your service."

"Of course. As long as we bend our knee to you, you care not where we're from. But when an equal comes from my lands? What conceit."

"Rath! How can you speak to me like that? I have treated you well, have I not? I have paid you well. I have treated you better than your kind deserves!"

"You will never understand. My service ends here."

--

(Outside the City, almost Sunset)

"The marquess of Araphen… He said my grandfather was ill. We must hurry to Caelin…" Lyn says looking off in the distance.

"As we approach Caelin, Lundgren's obstacles will be more difficult to overcome. However, I've vowed to see you through to the end, milady!"

"I'm counting on you, Kent." Lyn says looking towards him.

"I'm with you, too!"

"Thank you, Sain."

They both walk towards the rest of the group. "Wait up Wil!" Sain says riding over to him.

"Percy… Thank you for always standing at my side. It's because of you all that I… I will persevere! They will never break my spirit!"

"Naturally. If they did do anything to harm you, I'd ride to hell and back to assure your vengeance." Athena grabs my arms and squeezes them. "I'd do the same for you as well Athena. Don't worry. You two are very dear to me." I say with a smile trying to appease her.

Horse hooves resound over the plain. I turn towards the sound and see Rath traveling towards us.

"Rath? What is it? What are you-" Lyn looks to question him. Behind him is Matthew as well.

"I overheard the marquess talking to himself. Lyn of the Lorca… Proud daughter of the Sacae… I would join you. I would add my strength to yours…"

"Welcome to the team!" I say as Sain and Wil try to involve him in their conversation.

I turn my attention to Matthew who is trying to avoid Serra as much as possible.

"Matthew over here." I call over to him and he approaches.

"Lyn this is Matthew. He is a friend of mine from an old job." I say coming up with a cover for him. "He plans on joining us. I can vouch for his skill."

"If you're recommending him to join us, Percy, he must be capable." Lyn says starting to inspect Matthew.

"Haha! He isn't too much of a fighter. He's much better in the shadows." I say looking at him.

Matthew nods at my remark. "So… He's an assassin or a thief?" Lyn says looking at him suspiciously.

"That sounds about right." Noticing her gaze becoming warier possibly because of the term assassin. "Lyn it isn't wise to avoid using assassin's and thieves just because of your dislike for them. They'll be useful in different situations. Please do not limit yourself."

She looks at me and nods. "If you say so, Percy… Welcome to the team nonetheless Matthew."

I sigh. 'Once she finds out what I used to do I don't know how she'll react...'

4