Chapter 22: The Half Siblings
98 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After leaving Araphen and receiving no aid we continue our march towards Caelin. Harried and impatient, Lyn presses onward.

 

 

“Please! Somebody… Somebody, please help!” A blue haired boy says. His tunic green and wearing lightish green shorts. His boots blue and a flute is attached to his hip.

 

“That’s enough! Get out now! I want none of your trouble!” An older man pushes the boy out of the inn.

 

“But, sir… Why? You were so kind yesterday…” The boy says welling up with tears.

 

“I thought you two were just kids. A couple of traveling performers… If those men are chasing you, you must be up to no good! Now get up and get out! You’re a plague on decent folk!” The old man slams the door and sighs. “Wheh… What a mess.”

 

“Hmm…” Inside the inn a feminine looking male watches over the scene. His blonde hair flowing all the way down his back. His robe colored a light blue. With a white cape around his back and a red book in his hands.

 

 

“Where are we, Kent?” Lyn says looking towards him.

 

“This is Kathelet. If we head due south, we’ll pass into Caelin.” He says, while Sain moves forward to speak.

 

“From here, I’d say we’re about ten days’ ride to Castle Caelin. Assuming we don’t run into any delays, of course.”

 

“Ten days…” Madelyn says to herself.

 

“Pardon me, but…” I look towards the sound and see a blue-haired boy walk up to us. ‘Looks like Nil is here. So the Black Fang are close…’ I tighten my grip on my sword; Lyn looks over to me and sees my grip on my sword. She starts to become wary of the child.

 

“You and your friends… Are you mercenaries?” He says looking at the stances everyone is taking towards him. Clearly not welcomed. Something he is used to at this point.

 

“And if w-“ Lyn tries to speak up.

 

“Kid. If you have a request say it now. We’re in a bit of a hurry.” I say speaking up. The rest of the group not used to me being impatient look at me with a worry.

 

“M-my sister was taken away! Some men took her!” The boy shouts out.

 

“Where are they?” I say looking towards the kid. Taking my hand away from my sword seeing it’s worrying him. I walk over towards him.

 

“They’re really toug-“ Nils starts to speak up to warn us.

 

“You guys go ahead and head to Caelin. I’ll help him rescue his sister.” I say looking past the kid at the horizon. Seeing two figures walk over towards us.

 

“Absolutely not! We are not letting you run in by yourself! You’re not leaving my side!” Lyn says grabbing my arm to stop me from doing my signature move.

 

“Lyn… You have to get to Caelin to save your grandfather. I can handle this group of men myself. Don’t worry about me.”

 

She tightens her hands and Athena shouts out “No!”

 

“Athena now isn’t the time. Be a good girl and go with them, okay?”

 

“No!” She shouts out again, trying to struggle her way out of Madelyn’s arms.

 

“I am worried about my grandfather, Percy. But you also are part of my family! So I will not allow you to run off alone into a fight I could help you in!” Lyn says.

 

“Alright then. You can let go of my arm now. It’s starting to hurt a bit.” I say looking at her with a smile. “Let’s help the kid then. Lucky you child. You have the Lyndis’s Legion at your call!” I say with a hearty smile and pat his head. “Now get behind me. Those two seem to be the ones after you.”

 

“Bu-“ Nils starts to speak up.

 

“Not the time to argue kid. Gawain watch over him as well. I’ll deal with these two.” The two walk over towards our group and see Nils.

 

“Heh heh heh… Found him! C’mon, it’s back to Nergal with you. Quiet now.” He says pulling out a blade.

 

“No! Let Ninian go!” The boy shouts from behind me.

 

“We ain’t supposed to kill you, but we sure can rough you up! Get ‘em!” The man charges forward to slash at the bard, but instead meets a swift kick to the face. He gets up and looks at me.

 

“Huh? Who do you-. Wait! You!!!” His face morphs with fear as he tries to back away. “Heh, w-we’re so-sorry si-sir. Bu-but w-we nee-need th-the boy fo-for Sir Nergal. Ple-please all-allow u-u-“

 

“Denied.” I say with a swift strike to his throat.

 

“Lio-“ The shaman starts to speak up but is hit by a light bolt. ‘Lucius is here finally. Took him long enough.’ The shaman distracted by the bolt is taken out by another swift strike by me. His eyes pierced and killed instantly.

 

“Please forgive me. I never meant to startle you.” A monk walks over. ‘I always wondered why he didn’t cut his hair if he didn’t want to look feminine…’

 

“No need to worry, monk.” I say look at his attire. “An Elimine monk?” I say wondering aloud.

 

“Yes. My name is Lucius. I was at the inn when this child came seeking help. The innkeeper was afraid to get involved. He was… unpleasant.”

 

“I wasn’t afraid of him! I’m used to being treated that way.” The bard speaks up but finds a hand on his head. Athena is smiling at him. “Don’t worry, dad will take care of you too!”

 

“Athena you can’t just adopt children for me…” I mumble out. ‘It looks like Athena is comfortable enough with Nils… Is it because they’re both half dragons?’ I continue watching the duo’s interaction before turning back to the monk.

 

“May I please lend you my services? I truly wish to help the boy. If only a little.” He says walking over to me.

 

“The pleasure would be all mine, monk, but the young lady here will have to confirm it.” I say pushing Lyn forward.

 

“Of course, you can join us.” Lyn says looking back to me. I turn to survey the battlefield. “Lucius and Kent make sure the villagers lock their doors. We don’t want any casualties here.” Remembering one person hanging around here I look to the person he most likely doesn’t want to see. “Serra! There’s a house to the southeast. Go see if anyone’s inside.”

 

(House visits)

 

Kent reaches the first home calls out to the homeowner. The man watching from the window approaches him. “That’s quite a group you’ve gotten yourself involved with. You do know you’re face the Black Fang, right?” The man says to Kent. Kent hearing the name of the group looks confused for a moment but has a sudden recollection. “You mean the assassin group that hunt corrupt nobles? Why are they chasing children?”

 

The man looks at Kent and shakes his head. “They don’t hunt just corrupt nobles. They do any job for money now and it looks like they’re on one now for those kids. You and those odd children? You’re finished. Not that I’ll have any part of it!” He shuts the door in Kent’s face and Kent rides away.

 

 

Serra reaches the southeast house and knocks on the door. “Excuse me! Is anyone home?” After not hearing a response she starts to get angry. “Percival sent me to an empty house… How dull! I’ll pay him back for this…” She says rushing off.

 

Inside the house is movement by a blue-haired armored individual wielding an axe. “Whew… I thought she’d find me for sure. She’s done working in Bern and she’s returning now… What a headache…Wait did she say Percival?” The blue-haired boy walks towards one of the windows and looks out. “So he is here…”

 

 

Back on the field Sain and Kent are beginning a rampage through the archer line of the Black Fang, while Wil takes out any assassin caught unaware. I watch over the field to make sure no one get’s hurt and see Lyn engage battle with the leader of the Black Fang group. I start heading over in that direction.

 

“Whao are you supposed to be? Playing the heroes in some foolish knightly romance? You may think you’re helping the children, but you’re only rushing to your doom!” He says while launching a spell at Lyn. She dodges them and tries to get close but can’t do to the constant pressure his spells output. “Tsk!” She falls back and looks towards one of the ranged fighters. Seeing me running towards her she smiles. “Percy! I can’t get close to him!”

 

“I got him!” The Black Fang member looks towards me and his eyes open with recognition. “Perci-“ Before he can finish the sentence I take advantage of his lapse in judgement and kill him with a sphere of blades. The others have finished their fights and have returned to the group.

 

“Heh, no matter… if the lion… is on… your side… the girl… is already-“ The man falls down dead.

 

Nils and the others rush into the castle and start looking for his sister. Lyn stays behind to stop me.

 

“Why did those men recognize you?” She says recalling the warrior from before and the one just now.

 

I look at her and shake my head. “Later. We need to find his sister now.” I say turning to run inside with Lyn.

 

 

“Nils! Where’s your sister?” Lyn calls out to him. His face struck with panic realizing she isn’t here. “Ninian! Ninian… She’s not here. Why? Where could she be?”

 

“My lady Lyndis! A villager spotted a group of men riding south.” Kent calls out.

 

“The boy’s dear sister… They must have her!” Sain says grabbing his gear and getting ready to rush off.

 

“Come! We must give chase!” Lyn says also about to dash off.

 

“That’s enough panicking. She’s fine.” I say trying to calm everyone down.

 

“How could you know tha-“ Nils says looking at me.

 

“Are you looking for this girl here?” A red-haired boy walks over to the group with a blade attached to his side. In his arms is a young girl with long blue hair. Her dress matches the color of her hair and goes all the way to her feet. She has some lose fabric attached to her gloves that a dancer would typically have.

 

“Ninian! Ninian!” Nils says running up to the boy.

 

“She’ll be fine. She’s just lost consciousness.” Eliwood says looking towards the boy. I walk over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. “You’ve been practicing like I told you kid?” Eliwood hearing my voice shudders. “Ye-yes sir!” I laugh at his response and Lyn looks at us confused.

 

“Who are you?” She says… defensively? She comes over and pulls me away from Eliwood.

 

“I’m Eliwood, of Pherae. My father is the marquess.” He says with a smile introducing himself.

 

“The marquess’s son…” Lyn says looking at him. Madelyn walks up to him and looks at him.

 

“You do look like Elbert, but you resemble your mother the most.” She says looking at the boy.

 

“Ah? You know of my mother and father?” He says looking at Madelyn. His eyes go wide with recognition. “Lady Madelyn?”

 

“I am indeed.” She says with a smile.

 

“But the reports all said you died…”

 

“I would have if not for Percival saving me.” She says with a somber smile.

 

“It’s been a long journey.” I look to Lyn who starts to regale it to Eliwood.

 

 

“And that’s my story. It’s not an easy tale to believe, I know…” She says.

 

“No. I do believe you.” He says looking at her with a smile.

 

“What?” Lyn says with disbelief that anyone would believe a Sacaean woman in Lycia.

 

“At first glance, what I saw was a daughter of the plainsfolk. Now I can see it, though. You have your grandfather’s eyes and your mother’s.” He looks at Madelyn for a moment and then gains a serious face. “You seemed to be in trouble. May I be of assistance?”

 

I put my arm around his shoulder and look at him. “You can always stop the other Marquess’s from getting involved. As for everything else, Lyn and I should be able to handle it.”

 

“I see. I’ll be in the area for a few days longer. If you need anything, please let me know. Lady Madelyn, Lyndis, Percival, I’m on your side.”

 

“Thanks kid.” I say moving off his shoulder.

 

“Thank you!” Lyn says with a smile seeing me moving off of Eliwood.

 

Off to the side is movement from the sleeping girl.

 

“Ninian! Are you awake?” Nils says seeing her move and moves to be beside.

 

“Nils? Is it really you? Oh, you’re safe!” She says checking Nils for wounds.

 

“Uh-huh. These people helped me.” Nils says looking towards Lyndis’s Legion.

 

“Who are they?” She says wary of the group.

 

“We’re the Lyndis’s Legion mercenary force!” I say hopping in before anyone can give a proper answer. Lyn pinches my arm and introduces herself. “I’m Lyn. I’m glad you’re feeling better.”

 

“Milady Lyn,,, Thank you. I’m called Ninian. My brother, Nils, and I are traveling performers.”

 

“Both of you? Your brother’s a musician. How about you, Ninian?”

 

“I… I dance.”

 

Sain jumps in and interrupts.

 

“What? Oh my… you’re a dancer!”

 

“Sain… Later, please.” Lyn says shaking her head.

 

“Um, yeah. Of course.” He says walking away dejected.

 

“The clothes you’re wearing don’t appear to be that of a dancer.” Lyn says turning her attention back to the siblings.

 

“Ninian dances to honor life. It’s special… Sacred.” Nils says. I nod at that statement. Her dances provided stat boosts in the game…

 

“A sacred dance? What does that mean?” Lyn says looking at Ninian.

 

“I… The dance I perform when we travel is just a normal dance. My other dance, though… When they caught me, I twisted my ankle. I cannot dance to aid you… I’m sorry.” She looks down dejected and prepared to be yelled at. ‘Ah she was neglected by Nergal after he was corrupted… I forgot about that…’

 

“Please don’t worry. We’re just happy to see you’re out of harm’s way.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“But I am concerned about your leg. You can’t travel on it…” Lyn says looking at me remembering my sword’s capabilities.

 

“I’ve an idea. Would it be too much to ask that we travel with you?” Ninian says speaking up.

 

Lyn nudges me, but I ignore her. “I can’t allow that! It’s far too dangerous. We’re being hunted. We never know when we’re going to be attacked. We wouldn’t b-“ I cut her off.

 

“You two can travel with us. It’ll certainly make it easier to protect you two from the Black Fang…” I say mumbling out.

 

The two kids look at me shocked at mentioning their name. “Ho-how do yo-you know that?” Ninian asks.

 

“Hm? Only they would hunt down you two.” I say with a sigh remembering them. “They won’t be able to act against you two as long as we’re near you.” I say looking the two.

 

They both nod and turn back to Lyn. “We might be able to repay our debt using our… special talents.” Ninian says to Lyn. Nils starts to speak to explain what she means. “When something poses a threat to us, we can sense its approach.”

 

“Truly? That’s amazing!” Lyn says surprised.

 

“We can feel it comng, but we can’t do anything to stop it. You’re warriors, though, so you don’t have that worry.”

 

Lyn motions for Kent and Sain to follow so she can have a word with them. I approach the two kids. They both look at me warily. “Why do you know about the Black Fang?” Nils asks standing in front of Ninian to protect her.

 

“Hm? It’s my job to know. I can’t protect my family without knowing everything that happens on this continent.” I say trying to build an image in their heads. “Just like I know the reason why you two are being chased…” I say with a smile. “Our group can protect you from them as long as you don’t try anything stupid.” I put a hand on my sword and pull it out. Nils starts to back up. “Now, now. I didn’t rescue the two of you and alert them of my position just so I could get rid of you.”

 

I move towards the two of them. “Let me see your leg, Ninian.” I say with the calmest voice I can muster. Nils shakes his head, but his sister moves her leg towards me. “Ninian!” he calls out to her.

 

“If he wanted to kill us or turn us over to them, he would have done so already. You and I both don’t sense any danger from him.”

 

I put my hand gently on her ankle and a white light shines in my hand. It mends her ankle and allows her to walk more freely. “There now you should be able to run freely.” I say with a nod and a smile.

 

“Why did you help us?” Ninian says looking towards Lyn. “Because it disrupts his plans. Also, because you two remind me of my little sister back in Bern.” I say with a smile. “She’s struggling through life, but she always rises up to face the challenge. That’s why I helped the both of you. Plus Lyn was going to do it anyway, so might as well steal her glory.” With a wink I walk away from the two of them.

 

Lyn moves back over to the two after finishing her discussion and allows them to travel with us. While preparing their gear Ninian notices her mother’s ring is missing.

 

“They stole it? Those curs!!!” Nils shouts out gathering everyone’s attention.

 

“Was it valuable?” Lyn says looking at the two of them.

 

“It was a keepsake from our departed mother.”

 

“It was blessed by the spirit of Ninis… There’s no other like it in the world. And now we lost it to those villains. There’s nothing we can do.” Nils says depressed. Ninian nods her head.

 

Lyn walks over to me and pulls me away from the group. “Help!” I shout out but everyone starts laughing or ignores me. “I’ll remember this!” I say as my final words as I’m dragged away.

 

“You heard all of that, right? What do you think? I’d really love to retrieve Ninian’s ring for her. But if Nils is right, those thieves might prove to be too strong for us. What should we do?” Lyn says worriedly.

 

“Hm? Naturally we’ll go get their ring for them. If they stole a ring of sentimental value like that from me, I’d hunt them down.” I say nonchalantly.

 

“I was hoping you’d say that Percival!” Lyn moves back towards the group and calls for them to gather. “Those men were headed south. We must give pursuit! There’s no turning back now. Let’s ride!”

3