Chapter 23: The Ring and Relaxation
79 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Black Fang POV)

"So, the brother escaped, and the sister was rescued by a band of strangers. Do I understand you?" A blue haired woman says looking at a man with medium length blonde hair.

"Yes… They ambushed us, and…" The blonde man says trying to stay her hand.

"Hold your excuses. The end is all that matters."

"Yes. Ma'am."

"What about your plan for recovering the siblings?"

"We've word that the entire group is headed this way, with the brats in tow. This ring is most likely what they're after. We took it off the girl."

"I see… I'll give you another chance. I've business elsewhere, but I shall return once it's finished. If you fail… my hand will deal you the fang's punishment."

Ursula leaves the castle and sets off.

--

"I believe they went in here." Lyn says looking towards an abandoned castle.

"Milady, are you really going in there to get the ring back?" Nils pipes up.

"Yes, we are." Lyn nods her head.

"But this is their stronghold! They're bound to be well-defended. Not to mention well-armed!" The boy shouts out in protest, while Ninian mumbles out "Please forget about the ring. It's Ok…"

"Alright kids. First lesson of the Lyndis's Legion: Once we set our minds to something, we're doing it. So, let's go!" I say about to rush into the castle, but Lyn grabs a hold of my arm. "Tsk!"

"What do you mean 'tsk!' Are you seriously trying to rush in?" Lyn says looking at me with disbelief.

Before I get a chance to respond, Sain returns from scouting. "Milady Lyndis! There are more of the foe inside than we thought."

Lyn nods and pulls me away from the entrance. "This is their stronghold. It's imperative we move carefully." She says looking at me with a glare.

"Exactly, milady." Kent says. "We can keep safe or rush in if time is an issue."

"The narrow corridor near the entrance can be used. We draw the enemy through there, and we won't get overwhelmed by numbers. Erk and Wil can pick the off behind the two guarding the hall, while Serra can heal them." I say looking at a corridor that's rather close to us.

"…Why do you rush in when you can just plan out your steps?" Kent says looking at me confused.

"I don't like wasting time." I say looking back to Lyn. "Well let's go then!" We rush into the castle and I immediately cut down one of the Black Fang members. We head for the narrow corridor.

I stand at the entrance with Sain and Kent. We manage to clear out the assassin's in this side of the castle and move forward. We enter the main castle area and see 5 black fangs' remaining. Including the boss of the group.

"Kent take the left side with Sain. Lyn take the right with Florina. I call dibs on that guy."

I dash off towards Beyard.

"How? This can't be… They should be dead! Everyone! Get in there and finish them! This is our final chance!" The man says before he starts clashing blades with me. He looks at me with recognition. "You! Lion! How are you here?" A sword strike from he gets parried while he continues talking. "Yo-you should be dead!" He continues swinging down on me.

"I would have died if you sent anyone capable of dealing out the fang's punishment. Instead you only sent Jerme!" I slash out at his sword wielding hand and cut it off. "Give us the ring." I say pointing my sword at him. "You'll suffer the fang's punishment at their hands, so you might as well give me the ring." Lyn and the rest of the group after finishing their fights come over to us.

"Give us the ring! And swear us this oath… You must promise to leave these two alone. If I have your vow, I'll spare you life…" Lyn says to him. I shake my head knowing what he'll do to avoid the punishment.

"Failure… means death…" With his non-dominant hand, he grabs his sword and stabs himself through the heart. I move to his body and grab the ring off his body. I close his eyes and turn back to the group.

"He took his own life…" Lyn says looking down at the man in shock.

"These are no common brigands we're dealing with. This man was trained by a well-organized group." Kent speaks up. "They're called the Black Fang," he adds remembering what the man in that house said to him.

"What do they want with Nils and Ninian?" Lyn says looking at the two siblings. She shakes her head and I pass her the ring. She takes it and walks over to the two. "Nils, Ninian. Everything's going to be fine. As long as you're with us, you'll be safe."

"But…" Nils speaks up trying to avoid giving us trouble.

"You witnessed our victory, right? With Percy's planning and my sword, you've no worries. If we all work together, there's nothing we can't overcome. I don't care who comes after you; I'll not let you be taken." Lyn nods to herself.

"Really?" Nil's eyes filled with hope.

"Yes, on my honor. And on Percy's." She says with a smile.

"Yes. Those brigands won't be able to get to you as long as I'm here!" I declare with my hands on my hips and my chest out. "I'd like to see them try!"

The two laugh at that and Lyn hands the ring over to Ninian. They both look relieved having the ring in their hands.

"Milady Lyndis! Thank you so much!" The boy says, while Ninian speaks up after him. "I have no other words, save thank you."

We head out of the abandoned castle and continue our journey to Caelin.

--

While walking I decide to look at the system. I haven't seen any pop ups recently.

'System show me my stats.'

[Certainly Host]

[Name: Percival Reeds]
[Race: Lion Branded
Class: Master Knight
Level: 1
EXP: 54/100
Title: The Lion
HP: 49/49
SP: 40/40
STR: 37
MAG: 28
SKL: 38
SPD: 40
LCK: 27
DEF: 24
RES: 14
CON: 9 (15 on mount)]

'Why has my experience only raised by 50?'

[Host has not faced a challenge in any of his battles. Host is also a promoted class, so Host has reduced experience gains.]

'I should go train in the dungeons after we reach Caelin…'

'Hmm… I might as well have some fun while everyone's busy talking to each other… System purchase 5 lottery tickets and spin 'em'

[Certainly Host. Host now has 240 System Points remaining.]

In front of me is the same spinner from the last time, but instead of a lever it spins automatically. I watch it spin for me five times. The first lands on a battle skill, a class skill, a rare skill, another rare and the last is a growth skill or item.

[Host has received the following skills: Strengthtaker Skill, Astra, Null Physical Skill, Summon Stefan Skill and Max Skill x1]

'…Wow… I'll have to look for a good place to summon Stefan… I can send him off to do some work for us... If I can figure out who Lundgren is holding hostage for Eagler to work for him that would solve one problem.'

'Use the max skill on the limit breaker skill.'

[Host has maxed out the Limit Breaker Skill.]

[Limit Breaker (MAX) – Host does not have a limit on his stats and can grow past the normal stat caps. Host also does not have a level cap.]

'Good enough for now. After the next training session, I should be able to level up the rest of my skills… I think by the end of the year I should be able to take on the entire Black Fang alone. I just need more resistance for magic attacks…'

I feel a hand on my arm and hear a voice beside my ear. "percy… percy!... PERCY!" I turn off the system and turn towards the voice. Lyn and the rest of the group are looking at me worried. "Sorry I was thinking about something. Is there a problem?"

"We were planning on resting here for the night." Kent says, while I take in our surroundings. We're inside a small town in front of an inn. "Yeah that sounds fine." Kent nods and takes Sain with him to go get some rooms. Everyone else goes back to their conversations while Lyn approaches me. "We're three days away from him…" She sighs.

"We'll get there in time. I promise." I say putting a hand on her shoulder.

She grabs a hold of my hand and doesn't release it. 'Uh oh.' I look over to Nils and Ninian to see if they knew and they both look back with a smirk. 'WAIT! You're supposed to warn me!'

"Our rooms are prepared." Kent says coming out.

"Now let's talk about why those brigands recognized you." Lyn says dragging me away to one of the rooms we rented.

Madelyn and Gawain are giving me a thumbs up. 'It's not like that! Help!'

Lyndis pulls over a chair and has me sit on it, while she sits on the bed. "So?" She says tapping her finger on her arm impatiently.

"Well… I don't know how to start I suppose…" I say trying to figure out a way out of this conversation. I sigh and then look at her. I pull my Black Fang necklace out from my shirt and put it on display.

"The easiest way to explain it would be I'm a mercenary…" I say looking at her. She nods "That doesn't explain how they know you. If you are uncomfortable with telling me it's okay. I won't force you." She says with a sigh.

"I suppose it should be fine telling you… but don't tell the others. I'd rather those two kids not feel the urge to run away whenever they see me…" I sigh and Lyn nods.

"Hmm… I'll start with this. I am a former member of the Black Fang." I say coming right out with it. Lyn looks at me with shock clear in her eyes. "Wh-what? Wh-why?"

"They raised me as a child. They were my family…" I say reminiscing about the past before Sonia showed up. "For twelve years they were… We hunted only corrupt nobles and bandits… But it all changed when that woman showed up… She corrupted my adoptive father's mind. He no longer ordered only hunting corrupt nobles and bandits. Instead we started doing any job for money. It took me seven years after that to realize I couldn't do anything inside the group to fix the mistakes they were making. So, I left. I left my family alone…" My face unknowingly morphing into that of anger. "I left them in the hands of that bastard! I'll go back and help them… I'm not strong enough yet…"

Without realizing when I feel Lyn hugging me. "Sorry Percy… I didn't mean to bring up those memories… But I know you'll get strong enough to help them, right? That's why you're training so hard, right? Why you keep rushing in without a plan and keep getting hurt."

I nod and look at her in my arms. "I'll save them from him. I won't let him kill them…" I say. "Thanks, Lyn."

"No, thank you, Percy. Without you I don't know what I'd do. You saved my mother. You saved me. I…"

We fell asleep that night in each other's arms. A comforting night. One they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

4