Chapter 25: The Knight’s Reunion
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We’ve been inside of Kathelet for a few days now. Waiting on Eliwood to receive the oaths not to interfere in Caelin. Today is the day Eliwood should receive the news and the duplicate should be back as well.

 

I enter an alleyway and my duplicate points Stefan towards the alley. It desummons as Stefan and a new figure enter the alley. In the figure’s arms is a small child as well. Maybe 2 or 3 years old. “Stefan you’re back.” I say looking at him and the woman with him. He nods and walks over to my side. “The woman is the wife of Eagler and the child is his daughter.” He says nonchalantly. “No trouble?” I say looking at him. “Nothing I couldn’t handle.” He says with a smirk.

 

“What’s your name ma’am?” I say look at her. “I-I am Denise. Th-this is my daughter Gwyn.” She says looking a bit worried, but also grateful.

 

“I’m sorry about what Lundgren put you through. I’ll be taking you back home today.” I say with a bow. The woman tries to stop me but has a child in her arms. “Th-there’s no need for you to apologize.”

 

“You’re only in this mess because of a family dispute. Once we return you home please be careful.” She nods and I motion for them both to follow me inside the inn. Noticing everyone isn’t here I head towards the gate to see everyone crowded around Eliwood and Lyn.

 

Before I have a chance to greet him he heads out of the village. “All right, everyone! Let’s get going!! This weather is turning foul. It looks like a fog is rolling in.” Lyn speaks up.

 

“This is no good. If the fog thickens, we’ll be blind in battle. It will be difficult to fight what we cannot see.” Kent says to Lyn. Seeing they haven’t noticed me I look to Stefan. “Watch over them from the shadows. I have a feeling we’ll need your help soon.” He nods and disappears from my sight.

 

“We can’t let it delay us, though. Let us press on. We must get closer to the castle. What’s the best route?” Lyn says to Kent.

 

“Let me think… Our best path is to the south… However, that runs through General Eagler’s estate. It looks like we still have one final obstacle to pass.” I take this as my chance to enter the conversation.

 

“It’s nothing to worry about. I already have a plan for that. He’ll be joining us or become neutral afterwards.” Kent looks at me surprised and then sees a woman beside me.

 

Sain seeing her shouts out “What? He has another woman and child? Come on!” Lyn hearing this turns towards me seeing red and stomps over to me.

 

“Sh-she’s Eagler’s wife.” I speak up sensing danger. She nods and turns towards the woman. Kent recognizing her rides up. “Lady Denise how did you end up here?”

 

“I-I was being held hostage by Lord Lundgren and I was rescued by him and another man.” She says looking at me with a smile.

 

“How’d you-“ “Well let’s get going! Time to march!” I say cutting off Matthew before he asks too many questions.

 

--

 

Matthew approaches Lyn and I. “Put me in the lead, please. Surely you know that we…er…thieves, if you must, can see through fog.” I nod at him and Lyn looks at him before nodding as well. ‘I suppose saying you’re a spy now would be a bad look.’

 

Hearing loud footsteps I step infront of Lyn. From infront of us a large man wearing knight’s armor appears. “So you’ve come…” The knight says. His head bald. A man about 40 or so. His armor silver in color with red cloth covering his legs.

 

“You! You’re… Lord Wallace!” Kent shouts out in surprise seeing the former Knight Commander.

 

“Kent, who is this?” Lyn says looking towards the man.

 

“He used to be the commander of the knights of Caelin before he retired.” Kent says.

 

“I heard you were sowing fields now.” Sain adds.

 

“I am, and I was. Then I received orders from Lord Lundgren. I was told to capture an imposter and a pair of rouge knights.” He says looking towards the two.

 

“Lord Wallace! Surely you don’t believe us to be oathbreakers, do you?” Kent says with pain clear on his face.

 

“Bring me the girl that claims to be Lady Madelyn’s child.” He says looking around the group. Gawain standing infront of Madelyn blocking his sight of her.

 

“What are you intentions?” Sain speaks up.

 

“If I don’t like what I see, I will take her.” He says grabbing a hold of his spear.

 

“Naturally you’ll have to get past me.” I say with a grin.

 

“Hmph!” He says readying his spear.

 

“Enough! I’m right here! I am Lyndis.” Lyn says stopping me from rushing forward at him. ‘Tsk! Almost got to fight the knight.’

 

“Ah…” Wallace says struck by Lyn’s aura.

 

“I’ll understand if you don’t believe me. But I’ve had enough of you and your foolish posturing. You as well Percy!”

 

“Wait why me!” She just glares at me.

 

“Hmm… Such beautiful eyes…” The man says returning from his thoughts.

 

“Pardon?” Lyn speaks up confused.

 

“I’ve been a knight for 30 years, and here is one thing I learned. A person with eyes as bright and true as yours is no deceiver. Ha hahaha! Ah, yes! I like you, girl! Why, I believe I’ll even join your little band of mercenaries!”

 

From the back Madelyn walks forward past Gawain. He follows behind her. “It’s been a while Sir Wallace.” She says looking at him with fond eyes.

 

“La-lady Madelyn? You’re alive?” The large knight says with shock. “But…”

 

“There’s no need for that. I cannot thank you enough for what you did for me and my husband that day. I cannot ask you to assist my daughter and I on our quest.” She says waiting for his answer.

 

The man recovering from his shock shouts out “This old bull’s pledged his loyalty to Caelin. I would never allow an usurper on the throne. Let’s march!”

 

He grabs a hold of an item and places it on his armor. His aura starts to change as he promotes from a knight to a general. “Ha ha ha haaa! Look a giant walks among you!! My defense is impenetrable! Come! Break your weapons against me!” He says rushing off.

 

“He reminds me of someone…” Kent and Sain both look toward me.

 

“I for one enjoy his personality. It’s high time we get someone like him around!” I say rushing off as well.

 

We fight our way though the fog, while the rest of the group slowly approaches. They use torches to clear out the fog and Matthew guides them well. The number of enemy combatants is few. I don’t kill them, I’ve taken to knocking them out since I wish to let Eagler live peacefully with his wife and child. Before I know it I arrive before Eagler.

 

He looks at me and shouts “Imposters to the throne, you shall not pass! No quarter for traitors!”. Charging at me on horseback I dodge out of the way and strike back at him. Another charge from him is met by a dodge. His third charge will be his last. He rushes forward the lance just about to pierce my chest, but instead of that happening I jump up and kick him off the horse.

 

Taking advantage of this I grab his weapon and toss it aside leaving him defenseless. “Surrender General Eagler.” I say looking at him. “No quarter!” He says rushing at me. Before he can finish a woman and child appear in front of us. “Eagler that’s enough! I won’t raise our child alone!” She yells at him. “De-denise… H-he cap-captured you…” He says looking at his wife.

 

“Yes, he did, but they rescued me. So, put down your weapons and come home…” The man orders his men to stop and Lyn approaches us. He looks at us with gratitude in his eyes. Upon seeing Madelyn, he bows his head. “My apologies, Lady Madelyn, h-he had my family…”

 

“It’s all right Eagler. I understand. You’ve done all you can to protect your family. Just like I plan on doing for mine.” She says looking at him with a gentle smile.

 

He nods before saying something. “Go quickly. The marquess knows nothing of this. He doesn’t have an illness, it’s only poison. Please for the marquess, for all of Caelin stop him!” He says with a bow.

 

“We will stop him and save my grandfather. There’s no need to worry.” She says with a smile. “I have them on my side.” Looking back at the group with that same gentle smile.

 

We head off for our final destination, Castle Caelin.

 

--

 

(Inside the Marquess’s bedroom in Caelin)

 

The blue haired man walks over to an elderly man, who looks crippled by an illness.

 

“How are you feeling today, my dear brother?” The man says holding a cup of some drink.

 

“Lundgren… You… You fiend…” The elderly man coughs out.

 

“Your granddaughter is dead by now. And soon, you will join her.”

 

“Lyndis… Why did this happen? I… I only wanted to see her once.”

 

“Have you lost all hope? Has your life lost all meaning? Then hurry up and die, you miserable old dotard! You and your precious granddaughter are in my way!!! I curse your name! I despise you! My worthless wretch of a brother!” He says angrily before stomping his way out of the room.

3