Chapter 26: Retaking Castle Caelin
85 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Today’s the last day for this journey…’ I say looking over the mountains in front of us. ‘Once I’m done here, I’ll need to get closer to Hector to ensure that Matthew survives. I need to get closer to Marquess Uther as well. I can most likely heal his illness.’

 

Kent speaks up talking my attention away from my thoughts. “Lady Madelyn, Lady Lyndis, you should be able to see Castle Caelin once we pass these mountains.”

 

Madelyn gets a bit misty eyed and mumbles out “Father… I’ll see you soon.”

 

Kent nods. “Everything rests on this next battle.” Turning his attention towards the mountains.

 

“Lundgren will not be receiving the reinforcements he expected. He’ll move against us with everything he has soon.” Sain says preparing his weapon.

 

“Let him come! Let them all come! I will not be turned away! I will see my grandfather… I’ve come too far to let anyone stand in my way. This is it, Percy. This is our final test. My friends, for one last time, lend me your strength!”

 

“I’m with you always, Lyn.” I say. “You can’t stop the Lyndis’s Legion on their march forward!” Sain adds on.

 

We cross over the mountains and spot the defense Lundgren has set up. A river separates us from the castle. The only way forward is a single bridge heading towards four spearmen, a mage, and an archer. Past them is another archer and a dark mage near a village.  

 

“Erk, Lucius take focus on the mage behind that spearmen line. Rath and Wil you’re on the spearmen. Fire away until they are down. Dorcas take advantage of their spears with your axe. Break them. Sain and Kent when they fall charge forward for that archer. Florina stay in the back for now. There’ll be foes for you in a moment.” I look towards everyone giving out orders. “Lyn you’re with me. Wallace go loose!”

 

Wallace smiles and rushes onto the bridge. The battle begins with an arrow from Rath taking out a spearman. Dorcas follows behind Wallace and dashes out from behind him. Surprising the soldiers, he takes out the closest one and falls back. They try to give chase but are blocked by Wallace. A fireball starts heading towards Wallace but is taken out by another fireball. The mage surprised by the accuracy of Erk tries to set up another spell but receives a light bolt to their side.

 

The spearmen fall to more arrows and Dorcas’s swift strikes. The archer in the back continues to fire away. Wallace ignoring all the arrows bouncing off his armor moves towards the archer. Before the archer has a chance to retreat an arrow lands in between his eyes from Wil.

 

“Push up to the bridge!” I yell out. Sain and Kent taking advantage of the opening on the bridge dash into the archer guarding into trampling him with their horses. The dark mage starts to move forward but is blocked off by a fireball and a light bolt. Arrows fly towards him and kill him instantly. ‘Six enemies left…’ I say looking at the remaining foes. Two swordsmen, an archer, a fighter, a knight and Lundgren in general’s armor.

 

“Florina, Kent! You two get the swordsmen! Sain you’re on the archer! Lyn the knight and Lundgren are all yours.” I say rushing past them towards the axe wielding man.

 

I dash past the swordsmen who try to swing at me but must block attacks from Kent and Florina. The archer lines up a shot on Florina. He ends up having to dodge a spear trying to pierce him from Sain. I reach the fighter and put a hand on my sword. “You can drop your weapon and run.” I say looking at him.

 

He ignores my warning and rushes me. He would have reached me too if he didn’t end up stuck in a sphere of constant blade strikes. He falls to the ground dead. I turn my attention back to Lyn and see her dodging strikes from the knight and Lundgren.

 

I move forward to help her with the knight, but she kills him with a swift strike from the Mani Katti. The blade pierces his armor in an instant and she falls back to turn her attention solely on Lundgren.

 

“So, you’re the girl claiming kinship with my brother!” Lundgren says pointing his spear at Lyn. Seeing everyone else try to approach and help Lyn; I hold a hand up stopping them. “This is her fight. Don’t interfere.” I say with a stern voice. Rath nods, but Kent and Sain glare at me.

 

“You’ll play this farce to the end, won’t you Lundgren?” Lyn says speaking up for the first time during their battle.

 

“The royal house of Caelin has no need of a Sacaen mongrel! I’ll put an end to this foolishness here and now!” Lundgren says readying his spear.

 

“To further your own black ambitions, you’ve harmed my grandfather and the very land you ought to serve. I have neither pity nor mercy for you. Lundgren! Prepare yourself!” Lyn says dashing forward at him.

 

“Whelp!” He shouts out blocking a strike with his spear. Lyn continuously dodges his strikes until one finally hits her shoulder. “Tsk!” She feints an attack from above and Lundgren falls for it. She stops the swing mid-strike and pulls back to pierce his chest. Lundgren too slow to block it ends up with a sword through his armor. He drops the spear and grabs ahold of the blade. He whispers “Nothing but a savage from Sacae… The Caelin throne… should be… mine…” He falls limply off the blade.

 

Lyn looks at his corpse for a moment while everyone runs up to her.

 

She looks around herself and sees all the people that helped her with wide smiles. “We’ve won! At last, I can see my grandfather.”

 

An unknown man approaches Lyn, while Madelyn walks up to her to hug her daughter.

 

“You are Lady Lyndis, are you not?” An unknown man approaches but pauses upon seeing Madelyn. “La-lady Ma-Madelyn?” He says stunned.

 

“Who are you?” Lyn says looking at warily.

 

“I am Reissmann, the chancellor of the Caelin royal family. I had received word from Kent and Sain when you first met, but then Lundgren discovered the message and imprisoned me. It is my pleasure to welcome you to your true home.” He says bowing to introduce himself.

 

“Thank you. May I see my father now, Reissmann?” Madelyn says looking at him.

 

“Yes, of course. Do not be shocked by what you see. Lundgren has been poisoning the marquess’s meals for some time. His body has been ravaged… He’s been bedridden for months.”

 

We wait outside while Lyndis and Madelyn enter the Marquess’s room.

 

‘I can’t heal him yet… My sword only heals wounds, not poisons… System can I purchase a potion to heal him?’

 

[Host can purchase a poison cleansing elixir for 1,000 Points.]

 

‘How many points do I have left?’

 

[Host has 375 Points.]

 

‘Hmm…’ I look towards the axe I’ve stopped using recently. ‘I plan on replacing this anyway… Sell the Helswath and purchase the elixir.’

 

[Host has purchased the elixir with 1,375 Points remaining.]

 

I take the chance that Reissmann gives to talk about their services to leave and enter the room while they’re distracted.

 

--

 

(Marquess’s Room)

 

On a bed is an elderly man with his eyes closed. A plate full of food beside him.

 

“Who is there? I said no visitors. I will see no one.” The man says weakly.

 

Lyn and Madelyn approach the bed.

 

“Father…” Madelyn says tearing up seeing the state he is in.

 

“Eh? Madelyn? Is that you? Let me see your face.” He raises his eyes to look towards the voice. Madelyn and Lyn approach the bed.

 

“Oh… There is no doubt… Madelyn it really is you…” Tears falling from all three faces.

 

“Father, this is my daughter Lyndis.” Madelyn says pushing her daughter forward.

 

Lyn approaches the old man, scared of his rejection. The man’s eyes brighten at the sight of her face.

 

“You are Madelyn’s child… Lyndis…” The dam holding his tears back burst. “Uhhh… ahhh….”

 

Lyn and Madelyn move forward and hug the old man. “Grandfather!” “Father!”

 

After a few moments they recover. “Lundgren told me that my daughter had died. My heir… and you, too. He told me you were dead. Thank you… Thank you for living. Ahhhh… I am blessed.”

 

“F-father was slain by brigands last year. Mother survived thanks to Percival, a close friend…” Lyn explains.

 

“Lyndis, Madelyn, please forgive a prideful old man. If I had accepted your love, Madelyn… There would have been no bandits. We would have lived here together in perfect peace.”

 

Lyn shakes her head as does Madelyn. “Father, we lived happily in the tribe. Our life was one of love and peace. The end was tragic, but… up until the attack, we were truly happy.”

 

The old man closes his eyes. “Truly? You had a life of happiness? Knowing that gives me much joy… Thank you both. I can die in peace now…”

 

“No!” They both shout out.

 

“Grandfather! You mustn’t say that!” Lyn shouts.

 

“There’s no avoiding it, Lyndis. I’ve taken too much poison for far too long. It’s too late…”

 

“Be brave, Grandfather! You will recover! Believe me! On the plains, we say that illness fails in the face of a strong heart! We are with you now! You mustn’t give up!” Lyn shouts.

 

“You’re… with me…”

 

“Yes, we have so much to talk about. Walks to take, music to listen to. There’s so much I want to do with you, so much lost time we can recover!” Lyn says motivated.

 

“That does sound… nice.”

 

“Doesn’t it? And once you’re well, I’ll take you to the plains. I’ll show you the endless sky, the oceans of grass… I want you to know the lands we loved so much!” Madelyn speaks up.

 

“You’re right. I still have… quite a bit of living to do.”

 

“You can do it, Grandfather!” Lyn encourages.

 

“Lyndis… Madelyn…” The old man smiles as they continue spending time.

 

After a few minutes of talking about their journey. Madelyn and Hausen notice her constant mentioning of Percival and smile at that. They leave the room to let Lord Hausen rest.

 

“An old man not giving up on his family… a sight for sore eyes I suppose.” Stefan says stepping out of the shadow.

 

“Who are you?” The marquess says looking at the green-haired man.

 

“I’m a swordsman in the service of another.” He says with a smile.

 

“Stefan don’t give him a scare.” Gawain says stepping into the room. “I think we already scared him by entering his room without permission.” I say speaking up.

 

“I am Percival Reeds, at your service. The burly man is Gawain, a vanguard. The other man with a katti on his side is Stefan, a sword saint.” I say with a smile.

 

“You’re the one that rescued my daughter?” He says looking at the three of us warily.

 

“Yes, I did. I’m also here so Lyn doesn’t lose her grandfather either.” I say taking out the poison elixir.

 

“If you take this, you’ll recover your full strength within a week. Any sooner and people will be suspect your intentions.” Smiling I open the elixir.

 

I hand it over to the man who immediately takes it.

 

Gawain, Stefan and I look at him with shock. “Why’d you take it without knowing our intentions?” Stefan says looking at the man.

 

The old man lets out a smile and looks at us. “The both my daughter and granddaughter trust you enough to travel with; that means I can trust you.”

 

Gawain lets out a boisterous laughter. Stefan lets out a small smile.

 

“Thank you for your trust, Lord Hausen. It will not be misplaced…” I say bowing.

 

“Thank you for taking care of them.” He says smiling. “Please keep watching over my granddaughter.”

 

“Of course.”

 

--

 

Outside the room, in the castle square. I see the group all talking to each other.

 

“Lady Lyndis!” I hear Florina shout. “I’ve been taken into service by House Caelin! From here on, Lyn… I mean, Lady Lyndis… We’ll be together always!”

 

Lyn looks at Florina a little put off by the new name she’s being called. “Really? Oh, that pleases me so… but… Please don’t call me Lady Lyndis. For you, I’m still just Lyn.”

 

Florina shakes her head. “My Pegasus and I fly for your house now. I am your servant. There are rules to follow.”

 

I walk up behind her and place a hand on her head. “Florina the first rule of being servant is to obey the boss. That means when the boss says to call her something you have to listen.”

 

“I…” Her brain starts to short circuit at a male hand on her head and the idea I just gave her.

 

“Thank you, Percy.” Lyn says with a smile looking at me. “You can call me Lyn as well.”

 

“Milady Lyndis does not need to worry. This servant will not disobey your orders.” I say with a mock bow.

 

“Oi!” I hear her shout out. Before she can say or do anything to hurt me Wil jumps in to save me.

 

“Lady Lyndis! I’ve decided to stay, too!” Wil says with a smile.

 

“Wil? Weren’t you planning on returning home?”

 

“Well I was but… I’ve grown fond of Lyndis’s Legions, you know… I couldn’t possibly leave everyone behind. I’ll send word to my family regarding my decision.” He says with a smile.

 

“I’m pleased to have you, Wil. Thank you.”

 

“Thank you, milady.” Wil says with a bow.

 

The others begin to prepare their gear to leave.

 

 

I stand on a hill with Gawain and Stefan. In front of us is a beautiful sunset.

 

“Percy…” I hear a voice from behind me and turn around to face it. Lyn is standing there with a frown. “Ar-are you leaving?” She says stuttering. ‘It’s the first time I’ve heard her or seen her look so… vulnerable.’

 

“I…” I look back towards the sunset before I answer. I look to Gawain and Stefan but both of them look away to let me deal with the problem myself. ‘Tsk! These guys don’t even do anything!’

 

“I’m not asking you to stay…” Lyn speaks up seeing me struggle for words. “It’s just… I’ll miss you. When you saved us on the plain that day… I had no idea we would be together for so long.” Her frown gone, instead it’s replaced by a determined look. “You’ve helped us so much, and I’m sure you’ve learned all you can from us. I know you’ll be fine on your own…” She says nodding to herself. “I don’t know if I will be, but I’ll try…” I hear her mumble to herself.

 

‘Caelin is close to Ostia… So I can stay for a couple of months and then journey to meet Uther…’

 

I walk up to Lyn and she looks at me. Her eyes welling up with tears… I sigh and give her a hug. “I can’t leave you all alone in this castle. You need someone to watch over you. I’ll be that someone for you and only you, Lyn.”

 

“Are you staying with me?” She says her tears threatening to fall.

 

“I’ll stay as long as you want to keep me.”

 

‘Oh shit! I just said something so cheesy in front of those two! They won’t let me forge-‘Before I can continue complaining in my head I feel lips against my own. We stay like that for seconds that feel like minutes.

 

“I love you, Percy.”

 

“I love you, Lyn.”

5