Chapter 28: Saving Hector
80 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Hector’s POV)

 

“Brother! Where is he!? He’s here, isn’t he?” Hector says barging into the throne room of Ostia. In front of him is his older brother, Lord Uther. “That’s enough, Hector! What is the meaning of this?” He says looking at his younger brother. A small smile hidden on his stern face.

 

“You know full well! The disappearance of Marquess Pherae!” Hector shouts out.

 

“We’ve discussed this time and time again. This matter is none of Ostia’s affair. We have no reason to involve ourselves. It would be folly to do so.” Uther calmly replies.

 

“Eliwood’s father is missing, for goodness’ sake! We know that Marquess Laus is connected in some way. I say we use Ostia’s might to end this mystery and find the truth!”

 

“Calm yourself, you fool! An invasion would be madness! Lycia can ill afford the chaos such an action would bring. Surely even you must understand that!” Uther shouts back. Losing his temper.

 

“Bah… I understand all to well, Brother! Stay there on your throne. Sit there until it rots beneath you! I will do this alone!!” Hector says before hearing Oswin speak up.

 

“Lord Hector! You should watch your tone…” His personal guard, Oswin says.

 

Hector leaves the room. “Matthew! Matthew! Blast it! Where could he be?” Hector says looking for Ostia’s spy.

 

“I’m right here.” Matthew says from behind Hector.

 

“You… You’re not a wraith. Stop skulking in the shadows like one.” He responds back, sighing used to these antics.

 

“Hm? A wraith? And here I thought I was a spy. As milord ordered, here are you travel rations and your beloved axe. And I’ve purchased the silence of some royal guardsmen. The rear entrance is free to vanish from.” Matthew says handing the supplies over to Hector.

 

“Well done, Matthew. Try not to let my brother discover my absence too quickly.” He says starting to move. Matthew follows behind. “What? I thought I was going with you.”

 

Hector laughs loudly. “You’re a bigger fool than I imagined! Did you think I would trust my brother’s spy? Who knows when you would turn me in for some favor. Enough… do not try and follow me.”

 

Matthew stops following. “I did not imagine you would find me so untrustworthy. Professional hazard, it seems. Watch yourself, young master.” Matthew says sulking away.

 

“Huh? He… He gave up too easily… Why are these bags so heavy? Did he put rocks in them?” Hector hears the sound of branches breaking in the near the trees around him.

 

“Come out. I know you’re there.” He says putting the bags on his sides and pulling his axe out.

 

From the shadows step out a hooded figure with a spear. He points it at Hector.

 

“Who are you?” Hector says looking at him warily.

 

The hooded figure gives no response.

 

“Too dumb to speak? Makes no difference to me. Move out of my way, or I’ll run you through!”

 

The spearman rushes forward and tries to kill Hector. Hector trained for this sidesteps and uses the spearman’s head as a resting place killing him instantly. Hearing movement he turns around quickly.

 

“Whoa! M-Milord! Stay your arm! It’s me!”

 

“Who? Matthew? I was sure you were one of them.” Hector says relieved at the sight at Matthew.

 

“Well, I’m not! I’m one of me. And I would prefer to remain in one piece.”

 

Hector starts wiping the blood of his axe. “Your fault for jumping out of nowhere. Now tell me, what are you doing here?”

 

Matthew looks a bit guilty. “Hm? I… I sensed something was wrong and… came to your aid.”

 

Hector not believing him. “My aid… I’ll accept that answer for the time being.”

 

“So, what should we do?” Matthew says looking at the assassins.

 

The sound of fighting fills the halls. “Sounds like someone else is already fighting them…” Matthew not paying attention to Hector doesn’t see him rush off to join the fight.

 

Hector slays an archer with his back turned to him. A spearman seeing his axe stuck in the archer tries to pierce Hector through. Instead he finds a wind blade removing his head from his body. Looking towards the source of the wind blade he sees a young boy with a dragon brand on his forehead.

 

“Who?” Hector says pulling his axe out of the archer. Before he continues asking questions two more spearman appear near him. Before either of them can pierce him through a blue-haired man appears and deflects both strikes. He kills them both in an instant and returns his attention to any remaining enemy.

 

The blue-haired man nods to himself. “Looks like that’s all of them…” He sheathes his weapon and turns his attention to Hector. Who also puts his weapon away seeing no hostility.

 

“Who are you?” Hector says looking at the man. Matthew approaches Hector’s side with his hand on his blade.

 

“Are you Hector of Ostia?” Ike says looking at the young man in front of him. “Percival sent us. We are the part of a group called the Greil mercenaries. I’m the current leader, Ike. The black-haired one is Soren. The brown-haired girl is my sister Mist. The crimson-haired woman is Titania. We are in your service until Percival calls us to return.” He says looking at Hector.

 

“Percival sent you? How’d he-“

 

“He said he knew you were going to try and help Eliwood with his family matters. So, it’s best you are protected. That’s why he sent us.” Ike says nodding to himself.

 

“…” Matthew and Hector both look at him stunned. “I suppose I’ll have to thank him when I see him.” Hector turns his attention back to the men. “Do you know who they are?”

 

“A group of assassins and mercenaries called the Black Fang. Formerly known to only target bandits and corrupt nobles, they’ve started taking on jobs for money in the last 7 or so years.” Soren explains walking up.

 

“We don’t have time for an explanation right now. We can do it as we run. The castle guard must have heard all the noise.” Matthew speaks up. The group starts to head out of the castle.

 

“Matthew, you rogue. You knew this was all going to happen, didn’t you?” Hector says looking at the spy.

 

“What else could I do? Those assassins wouldn’t show themselves until you were alone.” Matthew says shrugging.

 

“I suppose… Mark my words, Matthew! You’re coming with me. But from this point forward, you are no longer my brother’s spy. You are my retainer now, to the bitter end.” Hector says sternly.

 

“Yes, milord! Shall I swear a knightly vow?” Matthew says to add credence to his claim.

 

“To what purpose? Your own words will hold you well enough.” Hector says.

 

--

(Uther’s POV)

 

“My lord! It’s Lord Hector! He’s-“ A soldier says approaching the throne room.

 

“He’s gone, isn’t he?” Uther says sighing.

 

“Ye...Yes milord! We are gathering men now to give chase.” The soldier starts to rise.

 

“Attend me. We will let him go.” Uther says before he starts coughing violently.

 

“A… Headstrong fool… cough… cough…”

 

Lord Uther! Are you well?” Oswin speaks up in fear. “You must not rely so much on physical strength alone. It has been most trying these past weeks. The affairs of the court have not let you sleep. You might endanger your health if you keep on…”

 

“Yes, Oswin. I understand. I will speak with a physician on the morrow. Will that allay your fears?” Uther says trying to stop the lecture.

 

“Yes, my lord. I shall make the arrangements.” Oswin says starting to head out. Stopping once he hears Uther’s voice.

 

“Oswin… About Hector… I can entrust him to you, yes?” Uther says slowly.

 

“Of course, my lord. I will guard him with my very life’s blood.” Oswin bows and heads out for the physician arrangement. Then to join Hector.

4