Chapter 33: The Lion Acts
98 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(The Dragon’s Gate)

 

A man wearing a purple cloak over his black robes. With a lightish purple sash around his waist. His hair mostly covered by a bandana. His right eye covered by the same bandana. This man towers over a red-haired paladin. His features making him look like an older Eliwood.

 

“Shame on you, Marquess Pherae. You freed the boy AND the girl?” The man glares at Lord Pherae as he speaks.

 

“I will not let you move unopposed!” The red-haired man shouts back. Lord Elbert of Pherae standing a fair distance away from the man who could kill him in an instant.

 

“Wh-what shall we do, Lord Nergal? With both siblings gone, we can no longer hold the ceremony.” Lord Darin of Laus speaks up trembling slightly.

 

“How many times must I tell you, Lord Darin? You are being used by this man! By helping him bring dragons back into this world, you are helping him destroy mankind! Do you understand?!?” Elbert shouts towards him.

 

“Pah…ha ha ha… Destroy mankind? Dragons may have been a threat to mankind in ages past, but with Lord Nergal’s power, we’ve got nothing to fear! Lord Nergal can control dragons! Hahahahahaha!” Darin shouts back.

 

“Lord Darin…. You’re already lost.” Elbert mumbles while shaking his head.

 

“I’d planned to start a war in Lycia. The war I was plotting would’ve generated a glorious amount of force in one blow. You were not equal to the task, it seems. Not to worry. I’ve other means at hand.”

 

“Black-hearted fien-“ Before Elbert can finish his sentence his mouth is forced shut by magic.

 

“Hold your tongue. There is still a task you must perform for me…” He says with a menacing smile looking at Elbert who glares back. “Ephidel! Limstella! My beloved morphs, my beauteous works of art. I’ve new hobs for you, my pets. First, Limstella, go to Bern and contact Sonia. I want you to arrange a meeting with the king.” Nergal says looking at the two hooded figures.

 

“Understood.” The first says and walks away.

 

“Ephidel, take this… man, Marquess Laus, and go. I want you to exterminate the mice who’ve landed on this island.” He says glancing towards the despicable lord.

 

“Yes, master.” Ephidel says with reverence. Darin follows behind him as they leave.

 

“That leaves you, marquess Pherae. It seems your legacy is one of endurance. The mouse who interfered with my conquest of Lycia is named Eliwood. Should he be congratulated on making it this far?” Nergal says with a smirk.

 

“Eliwood? My son is here?” He mumbles to himself. “Stop! Do with me what you will, but let my son be!”

 

“Heh… Hahahahaha!!! Remember the siblings you freed? The girl’s here, too. As a matter of fact, she’s with your son, Eliwood. Quite a delicious twist of fate, wouldn’t you say?” Elbert’s face pales as Nergal continues. “Eliwood will die in these woods. The girl will be returned to me, and the ceremony will take place.” He continues gloating.

 

“Despite those long hours of torture, you remain undaunted. Such courage will make you the perfect sacrifice, Marquess Pherae.” Nergal says while he continues to mock Lord Elbert.

 

Hidden in the shadows of the room walking away at a fast pace is a purple-haired woman. “I can’t believe it’s come to this. I must inform Lord Hector…”

 

She reaches a corner and bumps into a hooded figure.

 

The hooded figure looks at Leila with a small smirk. “Leila… Where are you going?”

 

“Lord Ephidel… The sentries… I’m going to check on…” Leila says stumbling over her words.

 

“You overheard, did you not?” He raises his hand aiming it at her. Leila unable to react in time braces herself for the spell. But instead of it strike her a head of lion appears from her side and bites Ephidel’s arm clean off.

 

“Wha-“ Ephidel shouts before falling back. In front of him is a giant lion seven foot tall. It’s mane colored golden and it’s body pure white. The lion looks at the morph with indifference in its eyes and then moves to pick up Leila.

 

“Wai-“ Leila says before the lion grabs a hold of her with their teeth. It drags her away while Ephidel is stunned watching it leave. He looks around to make sure no one saw him injured and heads off to complete his mission. Taking his arm with him. Knowing if the others found out he’d be killed in an instant.

 

 

(Valor Isle, A few hours later)

 

‘I’ll have to send the lion and my duplicate to save Lord Elbert when I get the chance…’ I think to myself watching our back for Uhai to appear at any point. I hear a scream and feel an arm grab ahold of me. I look towards it and see Hector with his axe drawn, Lyn with her sword out and an arm from her waking me from my thoughts.

 

“There’s a giant lion in our way and it’s got a person in its mouth.” Hector says alerting everyone.

 

Canas looks at the lion with awe. “Wow! The Isle really is different! The creatures here are much more frightening than on the mainland!”

 

I head towards the lion as it plops Leila down. She looks around and spots our group and gets up.

 

“Leila?” Hector and Matthew both say looking towards her.

 

“Lord Hector, Matthew.” She says acting as if she wasn’t just in a lion’s mouth. The lion walks past Leila and over towards me.

 

“Oi! It’s coming this way! What do we do?!” Sain says looking frightened at the large lion. I put my hand out to pat the lion’s head and it nuzzles its head into my hand. Hector, Dorcas, Barte, Dart and Guy look at me with awe seeing me tame a large lion so easily.

 

Lyn looks at me in confusion and then walks up to stand beside me. She puts her hand out the lion moves from my hand to hers.

 

I turn back to look at the group and see them just staring at me.

 

“What?” I look back at them provokingly.

 

“What do you mean ‘What?’? Why are you just petting a lion that came out of nowhere?” Hector shouts out, while Sain nods in agreement in the back.

 

“Why wouldn’t I pet my lion?” I say with a smile.

 

“You have a pet lion that’s taller than all of us…” Hector mumbles out. Before he can continue about the lion Leila gathers everyone’s attention.

 

“You all need to leave immediately.” She says with a stern face.

 

“Why?” Eliwood moves forward.

 

“Nergal knows you are on this island and has sent out men to kill you and capture that girl.” She says pointing towards Ninian. “The faster we get off the island, the less likely he’ll summon bring out dragons.”

 

“Wait. Dragons?” Hector says speaking up now.

 

“His plan is to summon dragons into the world. Ones from the scourging. I don’t know how he plans on doing it other than he requires that girl and her brother along with Lord Elbert.” Leila continues explaining the situation.

 

“We can’t leave my father on this isle!” Eliwood shouts out at her. Losing his cool at the thought of leaving his father to die.

 

Leila sighs and then looks towards the group. “…”

 

“There’s no need to worry. Eliwood and the rest of you will return to the boat while I go down there and retrieve Lord Elbert.” I say speaking up.

 

“Absolutely not. You will not go into a death trap by yourself!” Lyn says while Hector and Eliwood nod at that.

 

“I-“ I start to speak up but get cut off.

 

“It’s my father down there and I will go down there with or without your assistance Percival.” He says with determination in his eyes.

 

I look to Leila and shake my head. “I can’t let you kids run in there by yourselves… Stick close to me then. We can’t let him get his hands on Ninian.” I say with a sigh. “Ike look after the girl.” I say looking towards him.

 

“Danger!” I hear Ninian shout and look towards Lyn. An arm reaching for her. The lion looks ready to bite the arm, but I call out off and catch the arm before it grabs a hold of Lyn. In front of me is a Sacaen man with a bandana on his head. He has two earrings on as well as the usual purple bandana he used to wear when I last saw him.

 

“You…” The man says looking at me.

 

“It’s been a while old man.” I say in a whisper to prevent the others from hearing.

 

“You, you’re Sacaen!” Lyn says from the side looking towards the man. I release his arm and he reaches for his sword while I do the same.

 

“That’s correct… I am Uhai of the Black Fang. I’ve been sent to capture the girl…” He says pointing towards Ninian. “And to kill the lot of you.” He says looking over the group before stopping his eyes on my face. “If, however… you hand over the girl and depart the island at once, I’ll grant you your lives.” He says looking straight into my eyes pleading me to do as he says.

 

“And if we refuse?” Eliwood this time speaks up.

 

“You know nothing, little lord.” His eyes moving off me and towards Eliwood. “Nothing of Nergal’s might. Nothing of his terrible power. You are ignorant, and so hope to oppose him. You are insects railing against the heavens. Your actions will change nothing. Speak no more foolishness and begone!” Uhai says sternly. Knowing him he really doesn’t want to hurt any innocent kids…

 

“…Maybe we don’t what it is we’re fighting… But if we flee, our loss is assured. So, we will continue to struggle, and we may yet prevail!” Eliwood says motivating the forces.

 

“…Folly.” He says pulling out his sword. “I am Uhai! The Soaring Hawk! Come, Lion!” He says dashing towards me with a sword strike. I pull my own blade out to meet his. “Heh!” I let out a little laugh as we continue exchange blows. “Do not interfere!” I shout out to the group as we continue our exchange of blows. His face concentrated fully on blocking my strikes and forcing me to my own guard up.

 

This exchange of fighting lasts for a few minutes his face covered in sweat, while mine is still smiling brightly at him. “You’ve improved Hawk.” I say to him. “But why do you give up so easily now? What happened to the proud man of the Black Fang?” I say trying to understand his reasoning. He backs off and looks towards me. “Tell me why you continue to fight for a man who cares nothing of this world…” I say looking towards Uhai.

 

Lyn speaks up from the side as well. “How can a proud man like you live as an assassin?” She says looking on towards the both of us.

 

“…I sympathized with Bredan’s ideology. He wanted to help the weak, to break the overly proud…” Uhai says pointing his blade towards me. “Discussing this philosophy with him and his sons, training together, getting stronger together… For me, the Black Fang was the first place… that felt like home.” He says while keeping his blade aimed at me.

 

“Felt? Is that feeling gone?” Lyn continues trying to break his shell. I nod towards her to get her to continue.

 

“The Black Fang has changed. Nergal sent that woman… But it’s too late for me to change now.” He says readying his posture.

 

“Why? Talk to us, we may be able to help.” Lyn continues.

 

“Uhai there is no such thing as being late for change! You know there isn’t a chance for the Black Fang to turn back to its old self. Instead we should root out the evil within and reestablish it as something new.” I say trying to reason with him.

 

“Still a child, Percival…” He says dashing towards me with another blow that I block. “Are you scared of Nergal’s might? A man capable of controlling dragons? The idea frightens you doesn’t it?” He continues.

 

He strikes out but I dodge and send a kick towards his stomach that he doesn’t block. “Ha! Scared of him? That cowardly man in the shadows? I know of his strength and I know the group behind me are more than capable of stopping his plans! And if they won’t step up to it, then I’ll stop him myself!” The kick sends him flying back and he struggles to stand back up.

 

“Uhai the Soaring Hawk. Tell me something, does the ‘soaring hawk’ part of your name not mean you desire freedom? You live under that man’s oppressive nature and cannot let your true nature show. Uhai join us. We’re the only ones capable of preventing him from doing what he plans.” I say walking over to him.

 

He looks at me before smiling. Blood staining his teeth. “You really did grow up, kid…” He stumbles towards me with his sword sheathed. “Yo-“ Before he can finish the sentence a bolt of lightning starts to approach him at a high speed.

 

‘I can make it!’ I dash towards it and put my arm out to block the strike.

 

[Host has lost 10 HP.]

 

My arm starts to sting from the electricity coursing through my veins. I look off in the distance and see a mage watching with a staff in hand. While, everyone else is stunned by my protection of Uhai, Ike and the lion dash off to hunt that mage down.

 

“Percival!” I hear Uhai shout out. “I’m fine, Hawk. Just my hands a bit singed. Nothing much to worry about. The wound will heal with time. It didn’t hit you did it?” I say turning towards him.

 

“The lightning didn’t hit me and I’m certain that if it did it wouldn’t hurt like fighting you.” Uhai says with a small smile.

 

I let out a laugh at the first joke I’ve heard him tell. Hector looks at me with awe seeing me easily block a lighting bolt for someone.

 

“Sir Percival…” Eliwood speaks up alternating looks between me and Uhai.

 

“What do you say, Uhai? Are you willing to fight against Nergal?” I say looking at him with a smile on my face.

 

“Consider it as me fulfilling my debt to you.” He says stumbling towards me for a handshake. I put my hand out and he greets it with his own. “Glad to have you on board Hawk…”

 

“A pleasure to work alongside you again Lion.” He says with a small smile on his face.

 

I use my sword’s ability to heal on both of us and restore us to 100% fighting power. He looks at me surprised.

 

“Naturally I have a few tricks if I’m confident enough to fight against Nergal.” I say looking towards Eliwood. “Eliwood he can guide us to the Dragon Gate from here.”

 

Eliwood nods at that, but his eyes contain a curiosity while looking at the two of us. “Can we trust him?” Hector says from the side looking at Uhai suspiciously. “He is a member of the Black Fang…” He continues before looking at me.

 

“I trust him.” I say with a stern look on my face. “As for how we know each other, I’ll explain when we’re off this cursed island.” Before they can say anything else, we hear beating wings. The rest of us pull out our weapons and prepare them for battle. Ike and the lion return with blood staining them as they also look towards the source of the sound.

 

“I found them… I’ll fulfill our duty, even if I must do it myself. I am a true knight of Ilia!” The mounted figure shouts as she dashes towards us.

 

She tries to pierce me through with her spear, but her strike pierces the air as a I sidestep it. The group starts to surround the Pegasus rider and I take this chance to slip away to send my duplicate and the lion, Soan, off to rescue Lord Elbert. After that I turn back to the conversation now happening.

 

“Sister? Fiora!” Florina shouts out looking towards the mounted rider.

 

“Florina! Did you get captured by the Black Fang?” She says looking at Florina on her mounted Pegasus in confusion.

 

“I’m here with Lady Lyndis. What are you doing here?” Florina questions her sister.

 

“…I was investigating the Dread Isle for someone.” She says with a somber look.

 

“No… there were others… a full unit of Pegasus knights. We were attacked…” Fiora continues.

 

“You can’t mean…” Florina says starting to tear up.

 

“I misjudged our situation. All of my knights are dead because of me… I’m a failure.” Fiora says.

 

“That’s not true! You’re a splendid Pegasus knight! I chose this path because I admired you so! Please…” her tears running down her face. “Don’t do this to yourself!”

 

“Florina, please don’t cry.” She says gently to her sister.

 

“…I’m sorry.” Florina wipes her tears from her eyes.

 

“No, it’s my fault. The pain of being the sole survivor… It had me trapped… Thank you, Florina. I can see clearly now.” Fiora says regaining her confidence.

 

“Fiora! Come and travel with us! It’s better to travel with friends than to struggle alone.” Florina says.

 

“You’re right. I hate to admit it, but I can’t do everything alone. Nor can I render my companions’ sacrifices moot by going home. Florina, please introduce me to your commander. I’ll see if I can offer my services for a short while.” Fiora replies and nods to herself.

 

I let out a small cough and wave to them bringing their attention back to their surroundings. Florina blushes, while Fiora looks at me.

 

“You can join us certainly, but please do not try to run me through with a spear again. It’s not a pleasant experience from what I’ve been told.” I say with a small smile.

 

“My apologies. I thought your group were Black Fang members. Forgive me for my act.” She says sternly and with a bowed head.

 

“You’re forgiven.” I say trying to avoid making Florina cry more. “She seems like Kent and her will get along great…” I mumble to myself.

 

“Welcome to the group Fiora.” Eliwood says from the side. “Shall we head off?” He continues.

 

The group nods at that and we head off for the Dragon Gate with Uhai at the lead.

 

1