Chapter 1: The Fish And The Spear
59 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1.

The Fish And The Spear

The birds sing at a modest distance while the paddle of a simple wooden boat dips and rows against the water. In the boat a blonde woman roars, dressed in mostly bear leather. Across her, on the boat, sits a young girl, ginger, holding a simple wooden spear that looks way too big to belong to her. The blonde woman stops the boat, she pulls the paddle back inside. The young girl reaches the spear out for the woman, but she refuses it.

"It is time you learn how to fish for yourself."

The woman says and the young girl hesitates for a second but then nods. She gets on her knees, one hand on the edge side of the boat and the other tight around the spear. She stares down at the lake, then back at the woman, looking as if she were looking for counseling, although the woman doesn't oblige. The young girl looks back down into the water and waits. Once she sees her prey swim at range, she wastes no time and darts the spear into the water, splashing it and failing her task of catching the fish. She pulls the spear out of the water and looks at The woman, looking for counseling once more. The woman kneels on one knee onto the boat with the young girl. She holds the young girl's hand, shifting it a bit.

"Hold it firm and be patient. Study your target, learn its moves, and wait to strike at the right moment. Again."

The young girl turns back to the water. She gently lifts the spear, holding it as the woman had taught. She waits… no prey… she looks back at the woman, who nods towards the water. The young girl looks down at the water once again, she takes a deep breath and… splash! The girl stabs the water once again, but not just that, she also stabs the fish.

"I got it!"

The young girl starts to pull the spear out of the water, the woman helps her out, it's a big and heavy fish. The girl smiles proudly at her first-ever catch and puts it down on the boat.

"How was it?"

The young girl asks.

"Better. Let's head home now"

The woman replies.

The woman takes the paddle once more and starts paddling again, down the lake and deeper into the green pine woods. Soon the rowing would come to a stop. The woman jumps out of the boat, sinking her feet into the water and dragging the boat into the land, beaching it. The girl jumps out, she seems excited to eat her first catch. The woman reaches inside the boat for the spear and fish before heading towards a pine wood-made hut. The space is a beautiful clearing, surrounded by the same pine trees the house is made of. Behind it, surrounded by a fence, is a tall dark horse, a saddle resting on the fence. The girl walks into the house first. The woman follows inside and leaves the fish onto the table, taking a knife from the sheath on her hip.

"You should learn to skin the fish as well, Thyra."

The woman says, hoping for her daughter to come skin the fish. Although, the house seems awfully quiet… empty.

"Thyra?"

The woman asks once again. No answer…

"Thyra!"

She shouts. The woman starts to breathe heavily, panting, she starts to look around. Her breathing becomes more and more frantic, she's desperate.

0