CHAPTER 9. The Witch’s Familiar
118 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On their way home, the witch made her last detour to visit a certain store.

Although it was a shop, Julius didn’t know what it specifically entailed. Its location was obscure—not only was it hidden inside a narrow alley, but it was also overshadowed by other buildings.

The witch’s remark, “Please wait outside.” Before she disappeared into the store didn’t help.

Suspicious.

No matter how he looked at it, that place was suspicious.

Could it be... the witch was secretly having a meeting with her follower?

—A ‘witch’s follower.’ A term used for someone who chose to aid the witch’s cause—usually willingly. They were regarded with as much, if not more, animosity as that of a witch.

Assisting the witch out of one’s own accord would warrant a severe punishment from the church.

Of course, only if they were caught.

For the most part, they did it out of greed.

After all, anything that had relation to a witch would fetch a high price—even a trivial information.

In fact, that was how the church obtained the witch’s location. When he was tasked to bring an end to the witch, the whereabout of her dwelling was already clear from the get-go. There was no dispute regarding [whether or not] the witch was actually residing in that forest; it was just that she was [there] and [here] was her precise location.

For a church, which main goal was to free the world from those who had been led astray, to conspire with them—

—it wasn’t all that strange.

It was an open secret, especially to the high-ranking church’s member. Besides, it wasn’t like the church would let those followers go on their merry ways afterwards.

Julius also condoned it. Why, it was a chance for those pathetic excuses of a human to contribute for a greater good. Personally, unless it was absolutely necessary, he’d rather steer clear of them.

Did she honestly think I’d do as she said?

After a moment, Julius silently went towards the store.

Due to the poor soundproofing, he could already hear their conversation from afar. Regardless, if it was indeed a witch’s follower, he’d need to learn of their characteristics.

The moment he entered; he noticed a large shelf placed right in front of the door. Needless to say, Julius hid behind it.

As he began to study his surroundings, it was revealed that the witch was chatting with a man. From where he stood, he could see the witch, but the store owner was a bit obstructed. Regardless, he could see that the man was somewhat bulky.

The inside of the store was dimly-lit. The wall behind the clerk was apparently made out of paper. As such, the evening sun scattered its golden glow all over the room. As for the interior, there wasn’t much to say. Most of the items were laid as they were.

Inside the shelf behind him, many kinds of items were displayed. There were ornate plates, clocks, vases, mirrors, dolls, and even those that seemed out of place, such as beakers, and other things he simply couldn’t name.

An antique store... of sorts?

Julius tried sensing any traces of magic, only to find none.

It’s an ordinary store...? Then, for what—

“—So, you have a visitor?”

Julius heard the clerk said and tensed immediately.

By ‘visitor’, he could only mean him. But, for what purpose would the witch divulge such a matter to a clerk?

Ever since they visited the clothing store, Julius had been getting the impression that the witch was trying to conceal his identity. He was unsure why. But it worked well for him, so he might as well go along with it.

Unless... that clerk is...

Then, the voice of the witch resounded. “Yes, which is precisely why—”

She sounded energetic, for some reason.

“—I want to conquer him.”

...Huh?

“Afterwards. I’d strip him, tie him, stuff him, before finally sticking it in.

In contrast to Julius’ mind, which had blanked, the witch casually went on.

It took a few solid seconds for Julius to process what he just heard.

‘S-strip’? ‘Tie’...? ‘Stuff’...? ‘...STICK it in’—!?

B-by that, she can’t mean—...

Julius was in absolute denial. However, when he realized she couldn’t mean anything else, he had a brief moment of despair.

Why is she so loud about it? Also, what do the store owner have to say about this?

Inadvertently, the store owner became his last hope.

“As always, I can’t help but admire your spirit. Here, use this.”

A sound of something being placed on a desk could be heard. At the same time, something clicked in Julius’ mind.

Of course! This is ‘that’ kind of store!

That explained everything; the obscure location, the fact that the witch made him wait outside...

Not to mention, the clerk had just praised the witch, which made it even more apparent that Julius might be in a great peril.

“Amongst what I have, this is considered the best. Not even the greatest struggle could break this.”

No, he was in a great peril.

Because, as of the present, the witch had acquired the necessary tool to proceed with her plan. It was unknown ever since when did she plan it, but one thing was certain—it was advancing.

What do I do?

Unconsciously, he had been chewing his lower lips.

If he were to continue with the narrative he tried to build, then he had to accept. There was simply no other option.

But... would I stay the same?

He truly felt as if he was facing a mortal danger. Not even his hardest mission managed to instill such a fear in him. It was a newfound sensation—which made it even more unbearable.

It was at that moment when he realized that when someone was consumed by despair, they tended to avoid reality.

She might not be specifically referring to me.

That’s right.

She might not be the culprit of the bewitchment case, but as for her personal life, who knows?

The witch was commonly portrayed as a promiscuous woman. As such, she might have many lovers. Indeed, let’s hope that she was referring to one of them, and not him—

“—Thank you, I’m sure Julius will be happy!”

Even that one, fleeting, hope of his was cruelly destroyed.

***

Outside the store...

“Julius, did something happen? You look pale.”

The man standing before her was as collected as always. However, his face was visibly paler than before.

“It must be the heat.”

“I see, then how about taking off—” By that, the witch was suggesting for him to remove his scarf. However, the moment she mentioned ‘taking off’, Julius showed a very strong reaction. His eyes were widened, for some reason. Also, she could’ve sworn he had staggered.

...Something must’ve happened.

Feeling concerned, Ame took a step forward, only for him to retreat a step.

“...”

“...”

“Seriously, did something happen?”

“No, not at all.” Despite his calm answer, his gaze was wavering.

...we’re getting nowhere like this.

Perhaps, the knight templar was feeling ill.

Then, the best course of action was obvious.

“Let’s go home. That way, we can go to the bed faster—”

“—Do you intend to fulfil your end of the bargain?”

W, what is it, suddenly?

His pressing tone caused Ame to turn around. Julius’ eyes were dead serious.

“M, my end of the bargain?”

"Yes, it's regarding our contract. You promised not to harm me. What do you mean by 'harm'?"

Julius looked very adamant in pursuing the answer. Ame felt a little overwhelmed. 

"Uh, in physical sense, I guess...?"

When he heard that, a tinge of relief appeared in his eyes. However, it was but a momentary relief. 

"What would happen if you harmed me?"

"I—"

"—Never mind. I've already seen the consequence myself. I, Julius Visconti, the knight templar of the church of Magnolia, pledge an oath to fulfil my end of the bargain. Do you promise to also fulfil your end, be as inconsequential as it is?"

...Why did it become this serious out of the sudden...?

"I swear to keep my promise, only under one condition—that you will keep yours, too."

Seeing her bewilderment, Julius issued another command. A glimpse of a dignified knight leader could be seen.

In the end, she could only nod.

***

After said confrontation, their walk home became awkward ...was a huge understatement.

As Julius followed behind her, Ame got an impression that there was a set distance between them. One that the knight templar literally dared not to cross.

...Even though after that lunch, there’s a slight improvement between us.

Of course, by calling it an ‘improvement’, she might be going a little overboard. Unless, by ‘slight improvement’, she meant a drop in the ocean.

Well, every last drop of that improvement had gone down the drain, by that point. She didn’t even know what had happened—asking the guy was of no use.

Lost in her thought, she only realized the ceasing of the footsteps behind her a moment later.

Turning around, Ame saw that Julius was staring intently at a certain spot. All around them, was a dense forest. The spot he was fixated upon appeared to be a repetitive row of trees.

Before long, he turned towards her. “Ms. Witch, do you mind? It won’t take long.”

“It’s alright.” She gave a knowing nod.

Julius went towards that direction with Ame in tow. The further they walked, the more convinced she became.

“It’s one of that saint’s barriers, isn’t it?”

Hearing that, Julius tensed for a moment. In the end, he said “So, you’re aware of them...” with a slightly dejected tone.

She could see why a witch knowing the town’s hidden security system would pose a problem.

...Well, the problem was, it wasn’t even hidden.

When a magic was unleashed upon a vessel with greater amount of magic, the former would proceed to be absorbed by the latter—and thus, neutralized.

In that case, the saint’s barrier was the former, while the forest’s magic was the latter.

“...I’m trained in reading the flow of magic, after all. Besides, how do I say this... the saint’s magic, is a bit... dense?”

Magic flowed all over the world. Metaphorically speaking, it was akin to countless hair width threads scattering in the air—each with its own attribute, wavelength, movement, and direction. Every single one of them would flow in the way that would correspond to each other.

If the forest's magic was the constantly flowing, smooth, silken threads, then the saint's magic was the one that would turn them into an entangled mess. 

Therefore, the forest would automatically try to break said magic. It was simply the nature of magic to keep existing.

To put it simply, the saint's barriers would soon cease to exist. 

By approximately the next morning, Freyja would be a sitting duck to the demons.

"...That is true."

To the witch's surprise, Julius agreed. She truly thought he was going to be defensive towards his former party member. But the ex-captain only let out an exasperated sigh.

Julius extended his hand forward. In front of his hand, was but a patch of grass. There was nothing there.

However, Ame could see that there was where the flow of magic had shifted. In other words, that was the barrier's location.

—!!

Briefly, his fingertips emitted a soft, golden, glow. Before long, her surroundings started to be basked in a soft radiance, too. The once silent forest started to murmur as a gentle breeze flowed by. 

Wind... That's right, isn't wind his specialty? 

Before long, the essence of his magic wafted. 

The scent reminded her of the refreshing grass under the gentle sunlight. 

"...It's you!"

Ame reflexively exclaimed. The knight templar's back slightly tensed due to shock. 

"You're the one who'd always link her magic and extend the duration of the barrier!"

As it was, the saint's barriers were but chunks of magic waiting to be erased by the forest. 

However, the knight templar had created a connection between those chunks, unifying them. 

When magic was unleashed into a vessel with an equal amount of magic, both could stand together. 

With his help, the saint's barriers were considered as one, and was equal to the forest's magic. 

At that rate, the barriers would only need to be renewed once per week.

The constantly swirling breeze was the form of said connection.

Ame remembered that magical wind very well. After all, it was one of the reasons why she’d fell asleep in that forest all the time.

“That’s very amazing! You’d need proper control to continuously maintain the connection! After all, if the amount of magic dispersed towards the other barriers isn’t balanced, the link would vanish just like that!”

To be able to achieve that kind of feat, Julius ought to be some kind of prodigy.

The knight templar replied matter-of-factly. “It’s nothing. Without Reina’s—the saint’s magic—there’d be nothing to connect, or to protect the town with.”

Ah.

Most likely, the church went with that justification when they sent him on a suicide mission, too.

Julius might be a prodigy, but when compared to Reina Sue, whose magic was on par with the final resting place of a god, it became apparent to the church—which they could do without.

Somehow, his back looked lonely.

...But things still don’t add up...—

—her pondering was cut short when she heard him say in a somber tone.

“The very next morning... she’d surely come rushing here.”

He probably meant Reina Sue.

After all, the very reason why Freyja still hadn’t fallen prey to demon invasion was because of the saint’s effort. Reina Sue would often come to that forest to check her barriers.

Although the placing was still messy, on their own, the saint’s barriers could last for about three days. That was already a feat on its own. Moreover, their enormous strength made sure that no demon could destroy them.

There was also the fact that the saint’s magic was still growing.

It shouldn’t take too long before that saint was able to raise a barrier that could envelop the entire town. When that happen, there would no longer be any need for Julius to establish a connection.

Slowly but surely, the joint effort between the saint and the prodigal knight templar was coming to an end.

...Without realizing it—

“—Julius, it will be fine! Nothing is over, yet!”

At her sudden exclamation, Julius turned around in confusion.

“What do you mean—”

Ame joined to kneel beside him.

“—Look!”

She extended both of her arms. After some pinpointing, extraction, and manipulation—it was manifested. The location was right beside the saint’s barrier.

“It’s...” Julius widened his eyes. Even he could feel it.

“I made a replica of the saint’s barrier!” Ame announced in a cheerful tone. Then, almost proudly, she proceeded to explain.

“It lacked her holy element, regardless, everything else is the exact same! I can place them on the same spots the saint would usually put her barriers! So, feel free to link these, too!”

After all, the sense of familiarity offered comfort. With that, she wished that he’d cheer up, even if a little—

“—That way, it’ll just be like when you did it with your party!”

Ame turned towards Julius—

—and froze immediately.

His gaze was just that bone-chilling. The fury emanating from his eyes made her feel as if she was staring straight into the pit of hell.

 “...J-Julius?” She found herself stammering.

After a brief pause, Julius uttered in a chilling voice.

“—I envy the witch so much.”

Even though his eyes contained only the opposite.

...Also, if he was kind enough to add honorific before, now, she was but ‘the witch’. Which could only mean bad thing.

"To someone who is as powerful as you, everything must've been easily replaceable. I wish I too, have the capability to replace absolutely anything in the drop of a hat."

His words were fully loaded with scorn and mockery. 

The implication of her act--she realized it too late. 

By trying to comfort him through reenacting his memory with his party, had she, inadvertently, desecrated that very memory? 

'I'm sorry, I won't do it ever again.'

However, she just couldn't muster a word. 

Because from his gaze, she knew that apologizing wouldn't be enough. 

That gaze of his, which blamed her very existence. 

Before she knew it, the topic had derailed. 

"Do you think I'm unaware? Those people you supposedly helped are all the same people that have been helped by Reina."

He started talking about some incomprehensible things. 

Everyone in the town of Freyja had been helped by the saint. What he previously remarked meant next to nothing. 

"I don't know what you are trying to achieve by blending in with them, or if you are just simply that bored, you tried to play pretend, but if you dare lay a finger on any of them—”

Amidst the tense atmosphere, there was a pause.

It was uncertain what he was going to say next. But what flashed within the knight templar's eyes was unmistakably murderous intent. 

Accusation after accusation flew straight towards her, and she found her head hurting. 

From where did all that suspicion come? 

However...

'Play pretend.'

Compared to his sharp gaze, which was akin to a silver dagger, those words stabbed deeper into her heart.

Again, he was staring at her with that gaze. 

The same gaze he had shown when he figured her true identity during their first meeting. 

And again, she found herself asking—

—why, do you hate me so much? 

"—then I’ll make you pay.”

—why, do you want to kill me?

"If you think that Freyja is your playground, then you’re sorely mistaken. The church will absolutely prevail, and your reign will soon be over. You will come face to face with the fact that you have no place here—or anywhere else, to begin with.”

Amidst his condemnation, a forlorn voice resounded.

"—Because I am a witch?"

Without missing a beat, he answered.

"Yes, and I despise the likes of you to death."

The witch’s hand flew.

In the next moment, Julius’ line of sight plunged downward. The witch had pulled him into a hug.

“—!?”

His face was immediately buried within the softness which was her silk mantle. Feminine smell, unlike that of a perfume, pervaded his nostril. Briefly, his mind blurred.

Naturally, he tried to resist. But the witch held on firmly.

“Hide your face.”

The witch spoke in a serious tone which was uncharacteristic of her.

The reason was revealed in the next moment.

“Am I intruding something?”

From the woods, at the direction of the witch’s dwelling, came a laidback voice.

The owner of the voice made his presence known. The sound of his footsteps was accompanied with the jingling of something metallic.

“Relax. After all, there’s no point. That man is Julius Visconti, right? A knight templar, and also the captain of the Church of Magnolia’s special unit, Blood—or should I say, former? Fancy meeting you here!”

Realizing that it was for naught, the witch sighed loudly, before releasing Julius. Julius, however, was rooted in his place. His hand was firmly gripping his blade.

Standing before them, was a good-looking young man with long, crimson, hair. He was clad in a black fur coat, which lustrous surface showed intricate motifs. The many silver accessories adorning his person revealed to be the source of the metallic noises.

The look on his face, and the glint on his ocean blue eyes revealed an easygoing, laidback, young lad.

“Why, if it isn’t Mr. Klavier Bouchard, from the Regulus Inn. May I know what brought you here?” Julius remarked in an unamused tone.

Julius recognized the crimson-haired man quite easily.

...Which wasn’t hard, really.

After all, the man was well-known in the business world, especially amongst businesswomen. Through the use of his look and charisma, he’d reduce even a middle-aged, experienced, woman into a lovesick maiden. Those women would basically view him as their destined prince. However, his inside was anything but princely. Once he had pierced his fangs upon a prey, he wouldn’t let go until he had sipped every last drop. Thus, he was infamous for being the ‘Crimson Vampire.’—

—and by ‘every last drop’, she meant information.

Thus, was how a certain vampire reigned over the night.

While suavely spreading his arms, Klavier approached them. It was as if he wanted to welcome someone into an embrace.

Perhaps, he truly intended so.

"There's no need to be so hostile, is there? After all, we are the same, you and I."

Being at the receiving end of Klavier's gaze, Julius answered.

"...What do you mean by that?"

The coldness of his voice sent shiver down the witch's spine.

Klavier faked a confounded look. "Aren't you the witch's familiar?"

2