CHAPTER 10. Wild Card
94 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a lavish living room, a man and a woman sat across each other on the sofas. 

The woman looked considerably annoyed, while the man appeared to be enjoying the situation. 

"...Didn't I tell you to just drop it off and leave?"

"As your familiar, I've taken the liberty of personally seeing it being delivered into your hands! Why, what's wrong with that?"

"The appointed time has long since passed. I even make sure to drop by some stores along my way home. You aren't deceiving anyone. Be honest, already, you waited for our return."

"Did you just admit that you're avoiding me on purpose!? Well, of course, after all, behind my back, you've acquired a new familiar!"

As the man, Klavier, continued to play the victim, the wrinkle between the witch's forehead deepened. 

How long will he keep this up? I don't remember him being this noisy before... 

Giving up, Ame decided to turn towards the third person, who had been overseeing their conversation since the start. 

"Julius, there's someone I'd like you to meet..."

No. Actually, she never intended for them to meet. 

The witch quickly rephrased. "There's something I'd like you to see, after all, it's related to the case..."

Towards the mention of the case, Julius didn't even lift an eyebrow. The only evidence he had heard her was the brief moment his eyes flitted towards her. 

Even during that short interaction, he didn't fail to convey his repulsion. He glanced at her as if she was an insect. 

From the beginning, the knight templar had done nothing but sit there with a watchful gaze. He was the epitome of a cemetery statue that kept giving someone the eerie feeling of being watched.

Deciding to ignore him, the witch turned towards the crimson-haired man. Right on cue—

“—You didn’t even bother introducing your familiar to him? Well, aren’t you cold?”

“Huh?”

—the man complained instead of fulfilling the purpose he was there. There was a glint of amusement in his eyes. 

That’s it. 

Everyone was purposefully making it difficult for her today.

Julius, for obvious reasons. As for the other—

“—...Seriously, what’s with you, today? Also, what is this ‘familiar’ you keep mentioning about?”

Usually, the man named Klavier Bouchard wouldn’t even stay for long. It wasn’t due to fear of being seen with the witch, but because the man didn’t see any point of doing so.

As proven by how eagerly he admitted his affiliation with the witch to a church’s hand, Klavier was invincible. Naturally, a man of such stature wouldn’t attend to someone, but be attended to instead.

However, as of the present, Ame sensed the crimson-haired man’s intention—to drag the conversation forever.

“A familiar is someone who believes and adores the witch. In that regard, I thereby proclaim myself as one.” 

Even though he was sitting before a knight templar, and was basically admitting to his sin, which could award him prison life at best, and hanging at worst, Klavier nonchalantly sipped his tea.

If there was one thing the witch knew best about the hotel owner before her, then it was his penchant to mess with people.

It was obvious as hell that Klavier was trying to get on Julius’ nerves. Regardless, the knight templar paid him no heed.

She wasn’t going to wait until anything happened.

“I will get angry if you don’t stop.”

“How cold! So, it’s like that! Because you attained a new one, you don’t give a damn about me anymore!” Klavier put down his cup, and continued. “Well, I got it. I won’t risk inciting the wrath of my master. After all, I’m loyal, unlike a certain witch.”

From the inside of his coat, Klavier took out a small bottle containing a reddish, orange, liquid.

It was a bottle of perfume. The shape of its cap, which was akin to rose blooming in its earnest, and the elegant cursive used to engrave its brand, told that the perfume was intended for women.

“This is ‘Chloris.’ It’s one of a kind.”

The bottle only held a quarter amount of what it used to have.

“As for the reason I’m showing you this.” Klavier carefully sprayed some.

Immediately, the living room was filled with the scent that the knight templar should be very familiar with. Nevertheless, the knight templar showed no reaction whatsoever.

Finally, it was the witch’s turn to explain herself.

“You see, the scent you smelled when you first arrived here... it’s because I doused the living room with this perfume.”

“A good amount of it, too.” Added Klavier.

“Well, it’s a cheap perfume, the scent barely lasts.” The witch casually explained with a smile on her face.

Gee, I’m sorry for being cheap.” Klavier looked hurt.

“As for the reason, this perfume definitely has a link to the case at hand. But, as for the explanation—”

“—I understand.”

To the surprise of the other two, the knight templar suddenly stood up.

“Y-you understand...?” The witch repeated in confusion.

I haven’t explained anything, though...?

Despite this, the knight templar didn’t seem to be joking. It was quite the opposite—he looked adamant to resolve the matter.

If he truly did understand, she’d be spared from displaying her skill—or the lack thereof—in conversation.

When the witch was about to exhale in relief—

“—I understand how relentless you are in trying to prove your innocence—to the extent of not only ordering your familiar to vouch for you, but also having a perfume of the same scent made.”

H, he didn’t understand anything, after all...

The witch felt exhausted all of the sudden. 

Julius went on mercilessly. “To which I will say, I don’t care. I’m asking you, refrain from casually mentioning the case, especially when all you ever cared about is yourself. People are actually suffering from it.” Then, he went towards the exit.

“W, where are you going?”

Julius turned around, and his chilly gaze greeted the witch’s bewildered one. What he said next was equally astounding. “I’m going to work.”

“B, but, it’s about dinnertime...”

“I’m free to do so—you said it yourself.” Before closing the door behind him, Julius didn’t forget to say. “Thank you for especially arranging this meeting—it has been a major waste of time.”

Then, the door tightly shut.

***

Klavier was the first to break the silence. That time, he sounded genuinely taken aback.

“Damn, what a wild card.”

“...Damn right you are!” Exasperated, the witch laid the side of her face flat on the table. The coolness of the glassy surface gradually seeped in.

“...Although. his conclusion kind of makes sense.”

“Huh? Really? But, I thought, it’d be successful...”

“That’s my line, right there. That’s quite brave of you, coming up with such a reveal when the guy is clearly distrustful of your every word. Or, should I say, plain foolish?”

“So, it’s doomed from the start...” The burden on the witch’s shoulder only increased.

“More like, it’s only started. Where do you think he’s going right now, and what is he planning to do afterwards? If I’m you, I’d worry about myself. I’ve only left you for about a week and look at the mess you’ve managed to get yourself into.”

Having shed his flamboyant façade, the crimson-haired man before him became nothing more than a nag. 

Realizing Klavier’s implication, the witch started to feel remorseful. “What about you, Klavier? Shouldn’t you also be worried? After all, he recognized you... ugh, why did you decide to come, all of the sudden!?”

Crease appeared on his otherwise smooth temple. Klavier muttered while clutching his head, ‘As I’ve said, you...’ Before deciding to just continue.

“Why should I? That church depends on me to get their weekly supply of wine. Their director also can’t get enough of the vast array of flowers my inn could provide. It doesn’t seem like they’d be willing to part with any of those soon. You, on the other hand...” Klavier explained with an irate tone.

The witch knew full well what Klavier was trying to say. Then, in an attempt to reassure him.

“It’s alright, Klavier. I will personally see that we get to the bottom of this!” The witch smiled while clenching her fists.

But that did little to nothing to ease his ire. “You’re missing the point...” However, Klavier relented. “...Although, I guess, I’m to blame for coming here without properly understanding what’s going on. First, why don’t you start by telling me everything?”

Thus, Ame told Klavier about her first meeting with Julius, which literally took place yesterday. The entire time, the crimson-haired man did nothing but sip his tea, which should have cooled by that point.

Then, at the end...

“... When he crossed paths with a mysterious stranger inside the forest, instead of suspecting her, he offered to walk her home. He’s one noble knight. Even after figuring my true identity, the method he used to defeat me is in no way sly. As an individual, he’s quite a gentleman, and overall, better than you, Klavier!”

“...Is the last part necessary?”

The witch’s eyes shone with admiration.

Crossing swords with someone was an inevitability in a witch’s life. After facing countless battles, the Ame could confidently said that Julius was one forthright warrior.

His battle style was straightforward in the way that it accurately conveyed his courage, bravery, and resolve.

The knight templar possessed a bearing that would garner both admiration and respect from his surroundings. 

In all honesty, the witch was one of them.

Immersed in the sublime sensation brought by her admiration for him, the witch brought forth the desire within her heart—

“—I really wish I could be friends with him.”

“Well, that’s just asking for the impossible.” 

It was at that moment Klavier decided to butt in. Along with his ruthless remark, was the clanking of the cup as it was placed on top of the glass table. For a moment, it sounded like the ringing of a bell, which signaled the end.

“H-huh?” Having exposed her heart, only to be rejected coldly, the witch was at loss. 

With one foot resting on top of the other, Klavier began to speak. 

“...Do you want to know why?”

***

Unlike its name suggested, the Church of Magnolia, which was located at the very end of Freyja, also served as a barracks and a supplementary school.

As such, the church grounds were massive.

Inside the church’s domain were three separate buildings. Each served their own purpose. The building at the front was the church, while the one at its back, separated by a training ground, was the barrack. The building on the right side, which was smaller than the two, served as classes. 

After pushing the decorative white fences, Julius headed straight for the church. 

Since it was just an ordinary day, the church during the evening was mostly empty. Inside the grand chapel, there should be only a few nuns and templars.

The moment Julius stepped inside, the atmosphere stilled.

That reaction was only to be expected. 

Only a select few were allowed to don the same uniform as him. At that point, everyone should have recognized him already.

A man who no longer had any business there. A man who no longer had any reason to wear that outfit. A man who shouldn’t have appeared at all.

Julius paid them no heed and went towards the end of the chapel.

Along the way, the nuns and the templars he had passed by did their best to avoid his gaze.

He’d be like that, too, if someone he had mercilessly thrown away were to appear at his doorstep.

The first time he returned there, which was that morning, Julius was a bit surprised that he wasn’t met with any resistance.

When they dispatched him on that suicide mission, they probably never expected for him to return.

However, in the off chance that he did, they most likely expected him to spill the beans.

Which was unlikely for him to do. Knowing his higher-ups, the information Julius had gathered would surely go to waste.

As for the reason for his visit...

“Fran.” 

Julius was fortunate to find the person he was looking for casually walking inside the hall. 

The moment her name was called, the short-haired, blonde, woman’s green eyes immediately locked to him. 

That woman was one of the only people he respected in the church.

Practicing her no-nonsense attitude, Fran thus informed him. “Sister Rachel is awaiting your presence inside the prayer room.”

“I understand.” Julius answered in satisfaction.

That morning, he had arranged a meeting through Fran. Like always, the woman never failed him.

Upon arriving inside the prayer chamber, Julius closed the door of the soundproof room.

Inside, a woman dressed in a nun attire was kneeling. Her fingers were intertwined together, while her eyes were closed. With a solemn expression, the woman spun a prayer towards God. 

The sight was truly picturesque. The wall, which was covered with gold wallpaper, made it even more so.

As if to prove that they were inside the same dimension, said woman broke her concentration, and turned towards him.

Julius began his report.

“The witch didn’t do it.”

1