Chapter 5- To Be a Prince
70 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I can't believe you!" said Lina, pulling herself from my grasp. She stood in front of me, fists on hips, with an angry scowl. A look that did not suit her. "You said we were going to Grenna!"

I looked behind me, confirming that we were a safe enough distance away from the Deborn. Then turned to smirk at her. "We are. It's just that he needs a good head start if you know what I mean."

"You're something else. You know that?"

"I just saved our lives! If anything, you should be thanking me."

Lina pressed her finger to her lip again. Only this time, her expression was mocking. "Oh? Were we in danger? I guess poor, silly Lina couldn't figure that out on her own."

"It's a good thing I was here then. You don't exactly have the best track record."

"There you go, looking down on others again."

I was taken aback by that. "What did you say?"

"Don't think I didn't notice," said Lina, folding her arms, "I know I'm not the smartest or most experienced, but I know a conceited lout when I see one. You treat everyone around you like they're beneath you."

"I am a prince. I must put on airs that befit my position."

She raised an eyebrow, "Is that so? You think a prince has to belittle everyone he meets just to make himself feel important?"

I could not believe what I was hearing. "I don't—"

"Yes, you do. A prince should be there to serve his people, not treat them like idiots!"

"I do serve my people. Why do you think I'm out here in the first place?"

Her nose curled at that, "I can hardly guess. And there was me thinking I could rely on you for help, but if this is how a prince of Cross acts, then I'd be better off alone!"

"Fine."

"Fine!"

And with that, she stormed off.

I watched her go. "Er, Lina."

"I'm not talking to you anymore!"

My mouth twitched, "I don't mean to belittle you, but if you're going to Grenna, it's that way." I pointed behind me with a thumb.

Her face reddened to match her hair as I watched her turn on her heel and march past me. "Thank you," I heard her murmur.

"I thought you weren't speaking to me," I said, walking behind her.

"I thought you were going back to Pleasance."

I shrugged, "Sure, as soon as you reunite with your new best friend."

She looked back at me, confused.

"The Deborn," said I, "If you feel safe with him, who am I to stop you? Though, if you want my princely advice—"

"Which I don't."

"—But if you did. I'd say that putting all your trust in others would be a mistake. Human or otherwise."

Her expression turned to one of concern. "How can you think that?"

I shrugged again and put my hands in my pocket. "Comes with being a prince, I suppose."

Lina said nothing.

"When you grow up in a world of deception and plots, you see everything humanity has to offer. Their ambition, their greed—it's a dangerous world we live in, Lina. And very easy to get hurt."

She faced me. "If that's what you really think, then you need to get out more."

"I beg your pardon?"

Her smile returned to her face, "And I thought I was the naïve one. If you actually took the time to understand your subjects rather than rule them, you'd find that they are good people."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Commoners I can understand, they are far too busy with their daily struggles to hold any malice beyond those that try to disrupt their lifestyle. And the ones that do are ostracized by the law. but I'm speaking of those who create the law and see themselves as above it. Some of the most dangerous monsters don't live in the wild, Lina. They rule towns and cities."

Lina was silent for a moment, then she asked, "Does that include you?"

"Luckily for me, I had someone to prevent my priorities from straying too far." Silva…

"You seem unsure." Her eyes burned into mine, eventually I had to look away. How was she able to tell? I had spent far too long watching the nobility around me scheme their way to the top that I could not help but wonder when I, too, would fall in line with their expectations.

Her hand appeared in my vision as she stretched it toward me. "Here; take it. I know the answer, but I want you to see for yourself."

I looked at her face, then her hand, regarding them both warily. Her plan was obvious. She would send me to the ground, like the man in Pleasance, then leave me behind.

It was obvious, yet, somewhere, a part of me wanted it not to be the case. Reluctantly, I put my hand in hers.

Lina's soft fingers closed over mine. They felt warm.

"See, Anno? You're not a bad person."

I looked up at Lina, whose smile widened. It was one of her genuine smiles.

I still didn't understand her or this power with which she seemed to judge others, but if she was confident with my quality as a person, who was I to argue with her?

"Well then, I suppose you should find your new companion and be off to Grenna."

I let go of her hand. She looked sad.

"You're not coming with me?"

I shook my head. "I told you my plan, and I'm sticking to it."

"All right."

"Just remember that Grenna's that way." I pointed again.

"Got it." She smiled. "Silva would be proud of you, Anno."

I blinked, "How did you know about—?"

"She's mentioned a prince with a swollen head and a good heart before. I assume she was talking about you?"

A swollen head? Silva was one to talk! "I resent—" But my voice trailed away as Lina's smile vanished. Her eyes lifted to look behind me.

"What's wrong?"

Her expression had changed to one of fear as her mouth fell open. "Anno, look. It's horrible!"

I turned and looked back toward the town, and I, too, saw what she did. A column of black smoke towered over us where Pleasance had been.

The town was a few miles away, but we could still see it from this distance. Most of it was obscured by the smoke, but several orange lights shone through the blackness.

We had just been looking at the town only minutes before. Whatever had done this had only just begun their attack. And yet, the damage was this severe.

I looked at Lina, who looked back at me. I swallowed and squared my shoulders.

I knew what needed to be done. "I must go, Lina. Follow the Deborn. Leave without me."

With one last look at her fair features, I turned and took off back in the direction of Pleasance. To my surprise, I heard footsteps from behind and looked to see Lina tailing me, her hands lifting the skirt of her dress so she could keep pace.

"You don't have to follow me, you know." I said, "I'll take care of this. I am their prince!"

She smiled and shook her head. "I'm not going to just sit back and watch a village burn!"

I looked at her a moment longer. "Suit yourself. As long as you don't get in my way." I was not sure what she could do, but I wasn't going to argue with her. There was no time to waste.

The town may have been revolting, but I would be damned if a prince did not protect his people, no matter how grubby they were.

4