Chapter 8: Bloodline
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marcus Sakai's illustrious family resided in one of the Metro's most exclusive residential zones named Highland Park, a series of towering skyscrapers with its inter-connecting rooftops made up the luxurious space. It was a world on top of a world, as some might say, where its inhabitants are rigorously selected based on their wealth and influence.

His father, Maximo Sakai, was a former West Sea Commander and later the CEO of Sakai Logistics Tech after he retired from service. Their notoriety and authority has led to the city's meteoric rise as the New Republic's finance capital.

Though their family had a stunning lineage that dated back even before the West Sea War, little was publicly known about Marcus Sakai's background before he entered the Academy at the age of 15. His mother, in fact, had no public record of any sort. Even though Marcus was the only known heir to the entire Sakai fortune, he and his father Maximo were rarely seen together in public. The last time the media saw both figures together was when Maximo made a considerable donation to the Academy during Marcus' entrance exam.

During his time in the Metro Academy, Marcus had trouble adjusting to his newfound social environment which led to many altercations within the student body. This series of shameful acts was brought to Maximo's attention and had been dealt with within their confines in Highland Park where the two had a long conversation about the fate of their family.

Marcus could still remember every significant memory from that time with his father in vivid detail. He had never forgotten the words his father had said to him that night in Highland Park.

Inside the Sakai household was a dark hall, and at the very end of it was Maximo's unusually large throne-like chair; its white marble surface complimented the surrounding statues that lined up the side of the hall in spacious sequence. Maximo sat in his throne and behind him was a row of Metro Sentinel guards, the finest in the city at his service, all bought and paid for. Standing in front of them was Marcus. His uniform disheveled, his face painted in bruises and dried blood.

"Tell me, boy," Maximo slowly spoke beneath his breath, a bit indifferent with the boy's situation at the Academy. His posture slouched against the hard edges of his seat.

"Are you having fun at the Academy? Does getting into fights with other students give you satisfaction? Does flailing your prestigious name around make you happy? Do you think you can just do whatever you want without consequences? Do you, boy?"

Marcus, slow to respond, stumbled his words one after another as he looked down on the carpeted floor. "N-n-no, sir. I'm s-s-sorry,sir. T-t-they started..."

"Do not speak, boy. Not with that tone." Maximo sighed at the sight of his son's weak composure. "You tell me now. Did you enjoy beating up those District brats just because you're better than them, is that it boy?"

Marcus stayed silent, a habit he had developed all those years inside his father's sky-rise compound. For years, he had been quietly complicit inside their mansion in Highland Park, away from prying eyes. He never spoke out of turn and never complained to anyone, though their wealth and power was nothing to complain about.

His father had always assumed this boy's meek behavior came from his birth mother. But now that the boy had exhibited a bit of his pent-up aggression, Maximo knew that that part of the boy came from him so he asked once more.

"Explain yourself, boy! Don't just bow your head and..."

Marcus could not contain his voice any longer and mustered the courage he had long abandoned.

"Yes! It felt good beating up those bastards, alright?! They were mocking me and calling me names so I beat the living hell out of all of them. I don't care who they are! If anyone starts mocking my name or my family, I'll make sure they'll regret it for the rest of their lives. Are you happy now, father?! This is the kind of son you're raising! Well? Answer me!"

Maximo stood up jubilantly from his chair and shouted, "That's my boy! Well done, Marcus! Very well done indeed! Of course you can do whatever you want, boy! You're a Sakai! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! It took you a while to figure that out! Ha-ha!" His cackling laugh echoed inside the large hall which left Marcus confused.

Father and son now stood face to face inside the hall, Maximo Sakai had finally acknowledged his son as his own. He spoke clearly to Marcus, letting the boy sink his teeth in every word was uttering.

"You are a Sakai, boy! You can do whatever you want! You should never bow down to anyone! We rule this city and someday we'll rule the whole damn Republic! Do you think I've worked this hard by just being weak and feeble-minded? Of course not! You have to grab life by the balls and take what you can get! No one should get in your way!"

Marcus Sakai never forgot that conversation with his father a few years back. After that, his total demeanor had drastically changed. Soon after graduating from the Academy, and with the blessing from his father Maximo, he began his training for the West Sea.

"You are a Sakai, boy! You can do whatever you want!" His father's words linger inside his mind, fueling his ego day by day.

Marcus Sakai, the most infamous recruit of the 24th Aseatic Defense Training Camp, had proved to everyone in his platoon that he will do anything to protect his father's legacy as he watched Arman Bruno walk off the camp, disgraced and expelled from the Division training program.

***Thanks for taking the time to read my work. It would really mean a lot if you could leave some comments as I would like to hear what you have to say about the chapter. You can also vote and share this to your friends and help spread the story of The West Sea.***

2