Chapter 11: Captain
27 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dara Palilia had just contacted Trio's parents when the wounded recruit was rushed inside the emergency room a quarter to midnight. There were few available phones inside the Metro General Hospital lobby so Dara was forced to use the credit phone across the street. She dialed the number for Trio's home and waited for anyone on the other line to answer.

The phone rang twice when it got picked up. The other end of the phone had a tired voice.

"Hello? Who is this? Do you know what time it is?"

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry. My name is Dara and I'm calling to inform you about Trio."

"What? Trio? What happened?"

"Sir, your son was in a training accident and is now in Metro General. I was told to contact you once we got here."

"Is he fine? What happened? Is he going to be alright?"

"I think the doctors are now patching him up as we speak sir. What happened was..."

"Wait, hold on. I'm coming there. Honey! Wake up! Trio's in the hospital. Get dressed. Honey! Now! Alright, I'm coming there. Meet me in the lobby," interrupted Trio's father as he hanged up.

Dara went back inside Metro General. It was not far from Harbor Point, the air was filled with the faint scent of the seaside. The cold draft coming from the high buildings flooded down to the street and Dara had forgotten to take her Division-issued jacket, making her sprint more towards the pleasantly warm atmosphere inside the hospital. Dara Palilia sat on one of the visitor's chairs inside the lobby, waiting for Trio's parents.

A few minutes after their call, Trio's parents broke through the hospital entrance in haste. The hospital attendant at the front desk was startled at the couple's immediate appearance. The father spoke in haste as they both stood in front of the lobby clerk.

"Trio Agapay. He was rushed here a few hours ago. He came from the training camp in Harbor Point. We're his parents."

The attendant, seeing the parents' concerned faces, typed the name of the boy in her computer urgently and came back with the information a few seconds later.

"Yes, sir. I believe Trio Agapay is still in the operating room. According to the records here he had a physical trauma located in his abdomen due to a hydro-crystal. The doctors here have taken the crystal out but the patient had lost a lot of blood in the process. They are now performing the necessary transfusion inside the operating room."

"Is he going to be alright? My boy?" cried Trio's mother.

"I believe so, ma'am. The patient was rushed here immediately so there were no life-threatening complications to speak of. I think that girl was one of them that brought your son here."

The clerk pointed at Dara, who was sitting silently by the corner, her hands covered her face while slouching down.

"Thank you. Please let us know immediately when Trio's out of the operating room."

"Will do, sir." answered the hospital attendant as the parents slowly walked towards the waiting bench where Dara was.

"You must me Dara," said Mr. Agapay. The distraught recruit looked up gradually and saw the man's familiar face. She stood up promptly and gave a salute.

"Sir! Ma'am!" She shouted while giving a salute. Her eyes still dazed as she had unexpectedly dozed off while waiting for Trio's parents.

The father gave a solemn salute. "At ease, recruit."

"No need to be so formal," remarked Trio's mother as she sat next to Dara's chair and let the two continue their exchange.

"Tell me. Dara. What happened to Trio."

Dara paused for a moment, thinking of how she would convey the series of events that led the couple's son in the emergency room. She decided to speak with complete honesty. No facts were blurred, no details left out. The whole complete story. About Marcus. About Arman. About everything.

After hearing what had happened, Mr. Agapay balled his fists in rage. "That son-of-a..."

His wife placed a hand on his visibly furious husband. "Darling. It's alright."

"No it's not! That damn Sakai and his miserable son had been out of control ever since! If he wasn't running this damn city like a damn puppet-master, I would've court-martialed that traitor in a heartbeat!"

"Shh... not so loud, dear." Mrs. Agapay tried to calm her husband's racing mind, holding his hand firmly, letting him know she was feeling the same way.

"I'm going out for a smoke. Let me know when Trio's out so we can get him out that hell-hole of a camp!" The man stormed off to the dark empty street. Dara and Mrs. Agapay quietly sat as they waited for news on Trio.

Gatdula Agapay was a West Sea Division captain. He had served in the infamous Knights of Vathalla, an elite group that focused on watercraft combat and stealth warfare. Agapay had a well decorated tenure as a captain. He had extensive knowledge when it came to enemy encounters and aquatic combat, which was no surprise to even himself as he was taught by the best officers the West Sea had to offer. He was once under the command of the fearless Commander Jira and Alara, who were both, to his dismay, labeled traitors after the war. Agapay, after hearing the news about his mentors, resigned his post and moved back to the Metro with his family in tow.

"Damn that Sakai!" Mr. Agapay mouthed off as he grabbed his lighter and flicked it in front of his unlit cigarette. The wind was blowing heavily and the lighter's flame kept on fanning out.

"Damn this thing!" Trio's father shouted to the darkness, as a shadowy figure slowly approached him from behind.

"Here, let me help you, " the voice said as his hands covered the lighter from the incoming wind. Mr. Agapay flicked the lighter once more and took a deep breath from his cigarette. Its ember glowed inside both their palms as the stranger's face was revealed.

"Thank you." Agapay said as he took another drag. The smoke vanished immediately from his sight. The night's breeze was inconsistently moving within the city.

"Don't mention it. Although, if it's not too much trouble can I ask for a piece?" The stranger said. Agapay took a cigarette out and offered it to the shadowy figure along with his lighter. In one perfectly timed move, the stranger flicked the lighter just as the wind had died out. He then took a deep drag along with Trio's father.

"Thanks," the stranger handed the lighter back to Agapay as he asked a question. "So what is this place?"

"What? Oh. This building here is the Metro General Hospital. My son's in there having surgery."

"Oh, I see. Well, thanks for the cigarette and I hope you're son will be okay," said the stranger as he continued his walk towards the Commerce District.

"Thank you," answered Mr. Agapay as he looked up towards the dark sky above.

The stranger, still walking away, suddenly spoke to Agapay.

"Metro General, huh? Hey, when you go inside, could you please find a boy named Trio for me? Tell him Arman said 'get well soon'. Thanks again!" Arman Bruno waved goodbye to Trio's father as he went ahead.

Gatdula Agapay's cigarette fell from his dried lips. "Arman?" he whispered as he looked towards the stranger's voice. The boy was out of his sights. It was Arman Bruno who was just here. He said to himself. The boy who helped save my son's life was here.

Trio's father ran across the street, looking for the stranger who he had met a few moments before. Dara had told him Arman Bruno was an orphan from the slums who had just entered the Training Program. Armando Bruno, she told him. Could it be? Captain Agapay wondered as he shouted the boy's name over and over within the empty streets of the Metro.

***Thank you for taking the time to read my work. It would really mean a lot if you could leave some comments as I would like to hear what you have to say about the chapter. You can also vote and share this to your friends and help spread the story of The West Sea.***

2