Chapter 12: La Guardia
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I would like to thank everyone here who have donated to my campaign," said a rather distinguished gentleman in front a podium out-looking a sea of supporters seated across the large dining room floor.

"And for those of you..." continued the man as he adjusted his gold neck tie in front of the microphone. His well structured face gleamed beneath the bright spotlights above him as his sultry, masculine voice captivated his audience.

"...Those of you who have yet to give their generous contributions. Please... put a couple of more zeroes on the check." The man laughed loudly along with his hundreds of guests who were applauding the speaker's charming personality.

The great hall inside the New Republic Museum was hosting a large gathering of people in support for a candidate's re-election for Metro's Marshalship. It was a grandeur position that oversaw the city's lucrative developments as well as the social prestige that came along with the job.

"Don't forget on election day! Vote La Guardia for Marshal," shouted Hektor La Guardia, that night's guest of honor and the incumbent Marshal of Metro. He was running for a third term in the general Metro elections in a few months. Needless to say his pandering to the Metro's rich and famous demographic had always proved fruitful during election season.

La Guardia raised his hands above his head and waved to the zealous crowd below him. He slowly walked off stage and greeted each and everyone of his supporters. During these exchanges, Hektor always had a more scripted dialogue which was made up of either 'Thank you' or 'Vote for La Guardia.' It was his fourth week of campaigning and he dreaded every minute of his monotonous persona, hiding behind his photogenic smile.

The green room's door slammed shut behind Hektor as he crashed on top of a soft couch exhausted and parched. His short black hair ruffled against the throw pillow and looked like a wet duck with too much hair conditioner.

"Give me water, damn it!" He yelled, his face smothered on top the large pillow. His assistant, a woman named Ms. Aberdeen Maurilio, took a cold water bottle from one of the green room's complimentary refreshments and gave it to the politician.

Hektor rolled up backwards and laid his back on couch as he drank every bit of that water bottle.

"Aaahhh... That sure hits the spot. Now go get me some liquor to wash that down."

"Right away sir," his assistant readily opened the door. She heard her boss' muffled shout from behind the closed room after she had closed it firmly.

"Oh and don't let anyone in here! You got that, Aberdeen! I don't want to be disturbed!"

"Yes, sir." The assistant's muted response slightly penetrated the vacant room. Hektor La Guardia took out his personal dataphone and flicked through it's glowing monitor, scrolling through a catalogue of young women wearing the latest swimwear of the season. His mischievous smile alleviated some of his stress while he browsed more aggressively with his fingers.

A loud bang on the front door startled Hektor La Guardia to the ground, dropping his dataphone in the process.

"Damn it! I said I don't want to be disturbed!" The politician screamed at the metal door while picking himself up from the floor.

Two more consecutive and forceful knocks, much louder than the first, emanated again behind the door which prompted the politician to march angrily towards the annoying sound.

"I said!" La Guardia was half way through his sentence when he opened the door, it was an old man, with sleek brown hair and a wrinkled grin covering his face, staring directly at the stunned politician.

"Hello, La Guardia," the man said, his voice was hoarse but had an authoritative tone to it.

"Uhmm, uuhh, Mr. Sakai, sir. I'm sorry, I thought you were," bumbled the terrified La Guardia as he opened the door fully and let the man inside his green room.

"Please sir, have a sit."

"No, La Guardia. You have a sit. Sit down, now if you please," commanded Mr. Sakai.

Hektor La Guardia pulled up a chair in front of the old man and sat attentively.

"You know, Hektor..." Maximo Sakai began to speak while slowly walking about the carpeted floor of the room, his eyes looked around its every corner as he coughed and spoke more clearly.

"For years now, I've been funding your campaigns for little to no interest. Which was fine by me seeing as I am always sure who will win and be Metro's Marshal. I took an interest in you, boy. Hektor La Guardia, the man who captivated the district's people with his eloquence and charisma. You were a sight to behold, back then. Well, even now I guess..."

Maximo, who had stopped his pacing just behind the nervous La Guardia, put his hands firmly on the politician's tensed shoulders. He then squeezed hard, wanting to make his point clearer.

"You were doing so well. But now that election season is over, I have to make sure my finances are in order."

Sakai closed in on the man. Hektor's ear could feel the humid air coming from the old man's mouth.

"How's that project you're doing? You know, the one you said had the potential to change this city? I hope it's worth every penny I invested."

"Uhhh... Yes sir, it's going great, It would be completed within schedule. You don't have to worry about that."

"Hmm... We'll see about that, I'd like some of my staff to check up on this Hydro-Engine Station you're building." Maximo walked away from La Guardia and stared at him face to face.

"Of course, sir. I'm at your discretion. I promise you it will take Sakai Tech to even further riches! I promise you that... " Hektor stood up as he exclaimed his obvious pride at the said project.

"Promises are for politicians and their sheep, La Guardia," said Maximo as he headed out the door.

"I'll have my men talk to your men about the schedule and what not."

"Yes, Mr. Sakai."

"Oh, and La Guardia."

"Yes, sir?"

"I have a small favor to ask. I just got a call from my boy back in the Aseatic Camp in Harbor Point. Seems I'll be needing your legal expertise, in a manner of speaking."

"Of course, Mr. Sakai. I'm at your disposal."

"Good. Here's the transcript of my boy's message. See to it that the matter gets resolved quickly, " said Maximo Sakai . He hands over a piece of paper to the politician and strolled out of the room.

"Ms. Aberdeen! I need you here, quick!" shouted Marshal Hektor.

"Yes, Marshal?"

"I need you to go the Metro General. There's a boy there named Trio..."

The night was calm outside the Metro Museum. The lights have died done when Mr. Sakai had exited the museum lobby along with his Metro Sentinels. Their all black exterior seemed to blend with the darkness slowly enveloping their surroundings. The party was over and Maximo Sakai had thoroughly made his point to the incoming Marshal.

"Of course, he's going to win," whispered Maximo to himself. "With my money, he can be the damn president if he wanted to."

***Thank you for taking the time to read my work. It would really mean a lot if you could leave some comments as I would like to hear what you have to say about the chapter. You can also vote and share this to your friends and help spread the story of The West Sea.***

1