Chapter 3 – Volleyball
415 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Ishida Shiki's POV)

The first two matches began.

Those that weren't playing stood on the side watching the groups play. Some were watching with interest, cheering every now and then when someone managed to score a point, while the rest watched absentmindedly in silence.

Shinji was one of the ones cheering and shouting words of support to the players.

The rest of my team silently watched.

Since it wasn't an official match, only a single set was played. The team which manages to get 15 points first wins.

After the first two groups completed their set, the next four teams went up - my team included. Truth be told, I didn't hold high hopes for us. But perhaps I shouldn't be so negative considering I haven't even watched any of my teammates play. I shouldn't judge too quickly.

"Everyone ready?" the P.E teacher, whose surname I now learned was Kitagawa-sensei, blew the whistle signalling us to start.

I stood in the middle at the back and watched as Iida served the ball.

Taking everyone by surprise, he took a few steps back and threw the ball up before running and leaping into the air, slamming the ball over the net. The ball hit the ground on the other side of the court with a loud reverberating 'BAM', shocking the opposing team.

"J-Jumpserve?" Sawamura mumbled in shock.

Iida let out a huff, unaffected by the shocked stares.

I was quite shocked as well. Who knew there was another volleyball expert in our team?

"Woohoo! Alright!! Nice job, Service Ace!" came Shinji's loud boisterous voice.

The scoreboard changed to show 1 - 0.

"It's just one point," a snarky voice said. The voice came from the other side of the court. I turned and saw one of the members of the other team glaring at Iida with anger.

Oh? What's this? Someone seems to have a grudge against cold boy-kun.

I don't think Iida heard him but the rest of team did, however, no one said anything in response. Only Shinji raised an eyebrow provocatively while Nakata glared back at the guy.

I honestly didn't care. Whatever drama those two had between them was none of my business. I only focused on playing.

The ball came back to Iida who did another jump-serve, scoring us our second point. Our team broke out into smiles and small cheers, minus Nakata, Iida, and I. It was only the start of the game. It'll be pretty sad if Iida did all the work.

"No-touch Ace!" Someone shouted from the sidelines.

I couldn't help but snort.

What did everyone think this was? H*ikyuu?

****

Our team won.

15 points to 10.

I'd like to say it was a good game and everyone did their parts well but really, it was only Iida, Shinji, and Nakata that played well.

I was barely able to receive given my lack of experience but my contribution was otherwise average. As for the other two, they continued fumbling the ball which gave the other team points. It was amazing how Nakata managed to hold back from shouting at them. I could tell he was tempted to given how red his face would get when one of them dropped the ball.

Shinji of course didn't mind that the two members didn't play well. He didn't hold back with the words of encouragement to hype up their moods.

Considering this was just a P.E. match, I was somewhat surprised to see most of the students taking it pretty seriously.

Especially that dude on the opposing side who held a grudge against Iida. He probably took the game more serious than anyone else. But he had a problem of glaring and muttering sarcastic and perhaps hateful words directed toward Iida. The latter though, seemed to not hear him. Either that or Iida just didn't give a crap.

Anyway, I'd like to think this P.E. lesson was a success.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun. Despite the awkwardness at first, playing with the others was a lot more interesting than I expected.

After the class, I followed the rest of the boys to the locker room where I changed out of my P.E. uniform and wiped away my sweat with a towel before wearing my normal uniform and combing my hair. As I was packing my bag, someone came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder.

It was Shinji.

"Yo Ishida-kun! Some of the boys and I were planning hit the arcade after school. You wanna join?"

I looked behind him and saw various boys looking at me, waiting for my answer.

Glancing at Shinji, I replied, "Uh...sure. But I probably won't stay long."

"Great! We'll meet at the school gate, yeah?" Shinji grinned.

I just nodded in response.

Going to the arcade instead of going home to do school work counts as slacking off...right? Either way, I didn't think it would hurt to go with my classmates at least once. Although I enjoy spending time by myself, it didn't mean I was completely adverse to getting acquainted with others. As for actual friendships...now that was another matter.

But more importantly, spending time with extras like them is part of my job as an extra myself, is it not?

So I saw this as an opportunity to completely integrate myself in the role I've received.

****

...Is what I said but...

"YES!! You can do it, Ishida-kun!!"

"YOSHA!! KILL HIM!!"

"DEFEAT THE CHAMPION!!"

Somehow...I'm battling with the resident arcade emperor???

Sitting at the Pac Man booth, I was about to beat the high score set by my opponent on the opposite booth. The two of us somehow ended up in a competition after various games and now, my classmates were shouting provocative words.

This opponent of mine looked like a middle schooler. His face was full of determination when the competition started and I actually felt quite bad beating him down.

Honestly, I didn't want to do this.

But these classmates of mine were too hyperactive and thoughtless for their own good. I mean seriously, who the hell sets up a competition against a middle schooler on the first day of school?

The game continued and I was slowly getting bored.

I may not be the best when it came to PC games but arcade games? There's no one better than me.

Then I heard a sound from the other side.

"What? NO!!" the middle schooler shouted.

Looks like I won again.

"WOOHOO!!"

"Nice job Ishida-kun!"

"YOU ARE OUR HERO!"

Guys, I really don't think it's appropriate to say such things when I beat someone younger than me.

Glancing over, I noticed the middle schooler beginning to tear up.

...Oh boy.

19