Arc 3 Chapter 12 – Promises Of The Future
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning i woke up amongst the ruins of the old legionnaire barracks. Nestled up next to me, and serving as a wall that I’d put my back to, was the slumbering Taryn. I moved his arm off of me, while some of the rising sun peeked over the eastern wall of the village.

 

A light chill ran down my spine as I walked out into the town, enough that I wrapped my arms around myself. Before I’d gotten up some of the townsfolk had already started to work on repairing their damaged homes. Near the center of the town a small cluster of people, which included Phillins, had gathered.

 

When I walked over to make sure everything was fine I was greeted by what I could only consider an odd sight. Kaina stood in the middle of crowd alongside one of the Losson I’d already met, and a third individual who everyone was interested in.

 

She wasn’t altogether tall, perhaps dead even with Taryn’s own height, and she didn’t have any large muscles. Her dark skin and even darker hair made her obviously another Losson, and similar to Kaina she had a bit of blue instead of the usual white around the iris. Altogether she had the look of an average woman in size and shape.

 

What made her stand out most of all was that she wore no clothing. Not even a pair of sandals were on her feet, though she did have a pouch on her right side, one that was tied about her waist. Instead of clothing black markings made of a thick paint ran in wide lines across her body. I could tell it was meant to form a pattern, but what it meant I had no idea.

 

She stood there with arms on her hips and a wide smile on her face. Though she had garnered some unhappy expressions of the nearby villagers she showed no concern for their opinions. In truth she was probably the boldest woman I’d ever met.

 

I had a good deal of experience dealing with nudity, mostly thanks to my legionnaire training, so I found it merely curious rather than anything else. I gently touched the shoulders of the townsfolk between me and the Losson and the crowd parted, some with happy expressions and others with a hint of fear at the sight of me.

 

“Excuse me,” I said to the kind people who stepped aside, before I redirected my next words, “Kaina? Who is she?”

 

“Lily!” Kaina started to smile when she noticed me, “this Oph-”

 

Kaina’s words were interrupted when the mysterious woman lifted up one hand in front of her face. “Shh shh, Kaina,” she said before she laughed, “I am the chieftain of the Losson, Ophain.”

 

I stared at Ophain, a little surprised by how easily she spoke the language, although everyone else nearby didn’t even react. “Ah, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” I said while I tried to mentally recover, “I am Liliana Rose. I was not expecting to meet you.”

 

“Few do.” Ophain wiggled her fingers. “I was fiddling around with a Snapjaw when Kaina came and told me about you and your man. I heard you found a bunch of bad people you don’t know what to do with?”

 

“Yes,” Phillins said as he stepped in from the side, “Lady Rose and her companion helped apprehend some pirates, but we don’t have the manpower to guard or keep them.”

 

“Kill them.”

 

Phillins recoiled as a flash of disgust flickered over his face. “There’s no way I could do that.” Phillins nervously wrung his hands together. “I can’t ask the girls to kill them, and there’d be, no that’s just a horrible idea!”

 

I cleared my throat to draw their attention back to me. “Phillins and I were thinking of asking you to take them, in exchange for your help in guarding the town until the Legion can get new soldiers here.”

 

“So you want us to not only shelter a bunch of murderers but also waste manpower on guarding you?” Ophain laughed as she shook her head. “Do you even understand the basics of trade?”

 

It was a reply that I hadn't expected, but one that made me instantly ashamed. I should’ve thought about how I would simply be shoving the work onto the Losson for nothing. Though they might get a little more in the way of miners they’d have to feed them, shelter them, and especially watch over them.

 

If anything they probably were losing out by taking the pirates. “I don’t have anything,” I admitted, “but I swear on the honor of my family that I will appease you if you assist us.”

 

Ophain eyed me from head to toe as she leaned in, her eyes narrowing. “Your family name doesn’t mean anything to me,” she told me bluntly, “but at least you’re smart enough to know you have nothing of value.”

 

“Ophain!” Phillin cried out in shock from the side, “Lady Rose is from one of the most important families of the empire!”

 

My skin prickled at the sensation of Ophain’s gaze on my skin as her interest in me seemed to heighten. “Oh,” she said quietly, “maybe we can figure out a deal then.”

 

With a loud clap of her hands she straightened her back and started to walk away. Ophain called out orders to Kaina in the language of the Losson, but she didn’t even spare another glance in my direction. The natives all moved quick enough and started to lead the prisoners out of the hut they’d been shoved into and in short order they were escorted out of Vexxon’s Landing.

 

Not even an hour later and the prisoners were all gone while a small contingent of Losson remained near the gate. They quietly milled around it with bored expressions on their face while the rest of their tribesmen left for the jungle.

 

“She’s always like that,” Phillin told me after Ophain was completely gone, “like a wild storm that blows through without warning.”

 

It was an interesting fact to hear, but I was more concerned with what she’d ask of me in exchange for their help.

 

♪ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♪

 

After my brief encounter with Ophain time began to slide by at a quick pace. The townsfolk managed to patch up Vexxon’s Landing and even repair the gate, while the Losson kept a close guard in case either pirates or animals attempted to attack.

 

A few weeks later and everyone had fallen into a simple enough schedule. The ladies of the town would often take some food out for the guards, while the guards in turn would consistently follow a schedule so that everyone became used to seeing specific Losson. After a month the Losson had even started to learn how to talk, and it became obvious how much they enjoyed the attention from the ladies.

 

I spent my time with Taryn throughout that long wait for the Legion to send their ship. He took the loss of his arm as well as I could hope, though he had those moments of frustration whenever he’d try to do something as simple as belting his pants. The small things that we take for granted every day had become difficult for him, and so whenever he needed me I was there for him.

 

I could tell it was hard for him to ask for my help, though, and quite often I found myself wandering to give him some alone time. During those solitary moments I found myself on the beach near Vexxon’s Landing. The clear blue horizon rarely changed and brought to me a sort of calming assurance that no matter what it would always be the same.

 

By the time the Legion ship arrived I’d developed a solid tan and the town had become for the most part fully functional again. A couple of the Losson had even decided to stay around permanently, having made friends with some of the lonelier girls, and the dozen legionnaires who had been sent on the ship were greeted by a reconstructed barracks.

 

It was at that time when Ophain showed up again.

 

She walked into the village without fanfare, a sudden appearance that caused an immediate ripple of discussion amongst the townsfolk. The legionnaires who had only just arrived watched on with curiosity, though I was quite sure it had more to do with Ophain’s lack of clothing than anything else.

 

“Ophain.” Phillins gave a small bow to the chieftain. “As always it's wonderful to see you.”

 

“Flattering as always, don’t worry I’m not here for any of your people,” Ophain said with a dismissive wave toward the old man, “I’m here for Lily.”

 

Once again we were in the middle of the town, though the townsfolk this time had given us a wide berth as they wanted nothing to do with Ophain. Behind me Taryn had drawn up close at the words from the Losson leader while the legionnaires kept a distance, though their curious looks made it obvious that they wanted to know what was going on.

 

I gave a respectful half-bow to the chieftain. “How may I be of assistance?”

 

“You promised on your family's name that you would make our deal equatable, no?”

 

“Whatever I can do I will try,” I swore.

 

“Good. Have your Empire consider us a proper nation and that we are the owners of these lands, save for what we have already allowed you to settle.”

 

I went still at that request. To be fair everyone who heard it went completely still, and a few of the nearby villagers who’d overheard what she’d said even cussed in shock. The Empire had never in the entire history of it’s existence granted such a status to anyone, instead it had simply smashed everyone to pieces and absorbed them.

 

To that end the entire nation was a gathering of regions with lords who all swore fealty to the Emperor. Through the use of the Legion everyone had been kept in line, though I had heard of a few issues in the past. Yet to declare an entire continent under the ownership of another group of people?

 

“Most likely if I use my father I can talk to the Emperor, but there’s no way I can guarantee he would even humor your request,” I told her as I opted for honesty.

 

Ophain threw back her head and laughed at that. “Obviously! Do you think I am so stupid as to think your little leader would listen to my demands?”

 

“Then why would you ask me to do that?”

 

“Because once every year you and your family will go to him, and you will request the same thing each time until he grants it.” Ophain looked past me at Taryn. “Warn them also that we shall not allow anymore towns in our lands until such time as we are granted ownership.”

 

“Are you declaring war?”

 

Ophain clicked her tongue at that question. “Child if we were at war my people would have already killed everyone here. No, I am merely pointing out the obvious for your foolish men. Besides, I think we’ve shown that your people and mine can get along.”

 

As she finished what she said she turned to look behind her. A couple of the Losson stood nearby some of the townsfolk, one of the guards especially close to one of the younger girls. From the months I’d been stuck in Vexxon’s I already knew that the two had gotten close to the point of worrying the mother.

 

“That’s why you agreed to the guards,” I said as I stared at her accusingly.

 

“I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talking about,” Ophain said with another laugh, “I can’t control what my young free little lads will do when they meet sad little girls now can I?”

 

A coil of anger began to form inside while my right hand clenched into a fist. I started to step toward Ophain when Taryn caught me on the shoulder with his one hand. “Calm down,” he whispered to me.

 

It was a bad sign when Taryn was the voice of reason and I immediately cooled back down. I let out a long sigh, quite aware that my temper as of late had started to get a tad worse. “So all I have to do is ask the Emperor to grant your tribe the rights to the continent?”

 

“Except for the Ruins, they must remain untouched by all,” Ophain said with a small nod, “I know that you probably won’t succeed at this but merely planting the idea will help greatly. Don’t be afraid to point out that we also helped to save his people from the pirates, after all we’re much better as an ally.”

 

“Very well, I’ll agree to your terms,” I told her, though I didn’t mention that my father reported to the Emperor at least once a year already. It would be easy enough to go along with him.

 

Ophain looked at me with those dark eyes for a whole minute before she spoke again. “You will also take Kaina with you. She will make certain you uphold your word.”

 

What would she do if I didn’t was what I wanted to ask, but I suspected the answer already. I merely nodded my head and agreed to the terms. “We plan to leave tomorrow morning,” I informed Ophain.

 

The leader of the Losson gave a flippant wave of her hand. “Stay, go, I don’t care, I doubt we’ll see each other anytime soon. Congratulations, by the way.”

 

With those mysterious final words Ophain once more left the village much like how she’d come. I began to fully understand why Phillins had compared her to a storm. After she was gone I decided to focus on preparing for the next day, since soon Taryn and I would be at sea.

 

The rest of the day swept by in a rush and before I knew it we had already crossed most of the ocean. The trip across the ocean was thankfully without issue, the pirates who were still at large never once showing up. Along the way I spent most of my time in the cabin in bed. The rocking of the waves played havoc on my stomach.

 

On the final day when land was finally in sight Taryn and I went up on deck. It was a sunny day with a light cool breeze that tickled at the back of my neck. Along the harbor I could make out the flags of the Legion, and one specific figure who towered over the legionnaires.

 

We had arrived at the port city of Waterrick. I knew it to be a well established town in the north-western part of the empire. The port itself had been built into a natural bay which was in the shape of a crescent. Further back from the shoreline numerous warehouses were the first buildings visible, while deeper in the brick homes of the citizens numbered in the hundreds.

 

Though I was still at least a week away from Shiadone the sight of the lands of the empire brought a smile to my face. Between when we’d first taken up the job, our shipwreck landing, the trek through the jungle, and everything else it’d been about four months.

 

When the ship docked and the gangplank was lowered I nearly ran down the wooden plank onto the pier. Taryn trudged along slowly behind me while the sailors continued to work at preparing the ship for a long time at port.

 

I ran up to that central figure on the docks and leapt at him, wrapping my arms around in a hug. “Rocky!” I yelled out, not bothering with any sort of formality.

 

The High General Sciroco picked me up and filled the air with a loud booming laugh. Though he was rare to act so openly in front of his men he, much like myself, didn’t really care at the moment. “Flower, it’s good to see you survived that place,” he told me as he set me down.

 

“Taryn helped me a lot, some of the time.” I glanced over my shoulder at him. “He lost his arm in the process though.”

 

Sciroco offered his hand to Taryn. “I’m going to assume you’ve been very careful with Lily,” Sciroco said as he visibly tightened his grip on Taryn’s hand.

 

“Every day,” Taryn replied without flinching.

 

“Alright alright, stop with that,” I said as I pushed the two away from each other. I didn’t need Rocky trying to break Taryn’s only remaining hand, nor did I need Taryn trying to prove himself.

 

Sciroco backed away with a light chuckle, and then he lifted one hand up and motioned toward the soldiers behind him. “Men, have the carriage brought around. We have a long road ahead of us and Lady Rose is eager to get back to her family.”

 

The soldiers who had been still, but interested in how the famous Rock had acted so emotionally, quickly scrambled to respond to his command. In a few seconds the pier was devoid of legionnaires except for Rocky, who once more turned to face me.

 

Any further discussion we might have had was disrupted by the arrival of a new ship. It was a tall ship with far more space for cargo than should ever be needed, and a plethora of sailors worked hard on the deck to keep the whale under control. It slowly crept into the pier a bit down from us while the men aboard shouted back and forth.

 

The flag that fluttered on the prow of the ship was the symbol of the Melbourne family, who I knew were ran the local region. I personally knew nothing of them, but given the type of ship that had arrived my opinion of them had already started to drop.

 

“That’s a slavers ship, isn’t it?” I asked of either of the two present.

1