Arc 3 Chapter 15 – The Lily’s Denouement
70 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Very well,” Emperor Cantrium said as he turned his gaze on Taryn, “so Mister Lucent in order to expediate this are you alright with a duel? It will last until one of you is either unconscious or has given up, though killing will not be tolerated.”

 

Taryn started to smile but then forced himself to look as emotionless as possible. “I don’t have a problem with a duel.”

 

“Your Imperial Majesty, what do you mean by a duel?” Gerald asked as his voice started to grow louder.

 

“Come now, Gerald, did you really think I would allow you to beat a defenseless man in front of me?” Cantrium gave a wave in the direction of Taryn. “Or are you willing to claim you fear a one-armed man?”

 

The baron glanced at Taryn’s missing arm and then back at the emperor. Gerald cleared his throat as he started to walk away from the table, moving over to our side. “I would be honored to receive your permission to fight this dreck, and to teach him that he is not above the law.”

 

Emperor Cantrium made no move to stand up from his seat, and instead he seemed to try and sink even further into it. “Everyone please make room for these two, and I will brook no interference in this personal duel,” Cantrium said as he motioned at us to move back.

 

As I walked over to the wall in order to get out of the way I gave a concerned look to Taryn. I was less afraid he’d get hurt and more that he might go too far, and the quick little grin he flashed me only worsened my fears.

 

Taryn remained where he was, his distinct lack of fear in regard to the situation easy enough to see. Meanwhile Gerald stood about ten feet away from him, rubbing his wrists as though they already ached. It was during that process that I caught a glimpse of metal bands on his wrists, bands that I knew from past experience were similar to the soul armor that the Legion used.

 

Emperor Cantrium lifted up his left hand. “You may begin.”

 

The first to move was, of course, Taryn. Yet when I’d expected he’d run over and punch the baron in the face instead he walked. Perhaps it was with the assured way he walked, or how he seemed to not be in a rush, but in either case the result was that Gerald’s face turned red with rage.

 

So it wasn’t much of a shock that Gerald was the first to actually attack. When Taryn got close enough Gerald went with a straight jab at his jaw, his fist moving far faster than what one would expect from a pampered noble. Taryn swept it away with his only hand, a move that left him open for a followup from Gerald who tried to punch him in the stomach.

 

Rather than avoiding the punch Taryn moved into it, and while his stomach was being hit he slammed his forehead down on Gerald’s own. I think everyone in the room winced at the sound of that skull on skull contact.

 

Gerald reeled back from the blow, his hand instinctively lifting up. It was all the opening that Taryn needed to reach out and grab the baron by the neck, whereupon he lifted the man into the air and began to choke him. There was no happiness on Taryn’s face as he squeezed the neck, no malice whatsoever in what he was doing. Even through our connection all I could feel was a slight hint of annoyance.

 

The baron grabbed at Taryn’s fingers and tried to pull them away from his neck, but no matter how much he struggled the grip remained tight. In desperation he started to lash out with his feet, kicking at Taryn’s open sides as hard as he could. Each blow was solid enough that everyone could hear them, yet Taryn didn’t respond.

 

Not even ten seconds passed before Gerald went limp and Taryn dropped him to the ground. He hit the floor with a dull thud and didn’t move, clearly either dead or knocked out. I bit at my bottom lip as I began to worry that he might’ve killed the baron.

 

The entire room was still as everyone stared at the fallen noble. A few of the men at the table looked as though they wanted to get up and yell. My father was the one who broke the silence as he walked over to Gerald and checked him for a pulse.

 

Even with the situation we were in my father didn’t speak, but instead he looked to Cantrium and gave a nod. The emperor responding with a light chuckle before he tapped the top of the table with one finger.

 

“Would you be so kind as to remove the baron, Vandross?”

 

“Gladly,” my father said as he grabbed Gerald’s one ankle and dragged him out of the room.

 

The emperor waited patiently for my father to return before he continued with the proceedings, and for a short bit the various barons at the table whispered back and forth to each other. I was too far away to hear anything they were saying but a lot of views were sent in Kaina’s direction.

 

When my father returned he quietly joined me once more near the wall. The barons at the table grew quiet as they all gazed at Cantrium. He didn’t wait long before he tapped the table with one finger.

 

“I hereby declare Taryn Lucent the victor of this duel, and as such he shall be clear of any retaliation from anyone,” Cantrium said, “however, Taryn, do you freely admit that you have harmed slave owners?”

 

“Happily,” Taryn replied as he took a couple of steps away from Gerald.

 

Cantrium raised one eyebrow at that comment. “Your lack of guilt is clear, and you committed criminal acts no matter how good your intentions were. I am forced to declare you a criminal. Will you accept your guilt, or would you prefer a trial?”

 

I went to step forward but my father was quick enough to stop me, his hand pressing down on my shoulder. When I glanced up at him in annoyance he winked back down at me, though as usual he didn’t smile.

 

“Why waste our time?” Taryn asked, his words drawing my attention back to the center of the room.

 

Cantrium gave a little smile at that reply, which was in stark contrast to the rage that was on some of the nobles faces. “Refreshing,” Cantrium said as he stood up, “Taryn Lucent you are guilty of assaulting innocent traders and stealing their goods, and for your crimes you shall repent with physical labor. When the Plague is found within the realm of Lord Donnerson you will be called upon to serve as the vanguard. If you survive this for five years you will be considered innocent once more.”

 

One of the barons who wore a muted green doublet tapped the table with one finger, an action that drew the attention of everyone. “Your Imperial Majesty, if you will accept my words, Lord Donnerson would be unhappy with you using his lands to murder someone, even a criminal.”

 

Emperor Cantrium nodded at him and stood silent for a moment. There was that period of time where all we could do was wait, and while that happened I studied the baron who’d spoken up. He was a thin man, with a face that made me think of a rat. His eyes were dim and he wore spectacles, while his black hair had been slicked back. All in all he didn’t seem like a man who’d care about others.

 

“My order will stand,” Cantrium finally said, “if we allow a soft judgement it will only encourage others to mimic his behavior.”

 

The baron gave a slow nod of his head, almost as though bowing without the rest of his body. “Your wisdom brings shame to me, and I retract my complaint.”

 

Emperor Cantrium settled back into his chair and motioned in my direction. “Excellent, now we can focus on the reason I summoned Lady Rose. Would you be so kind as to explain exactly what happened in regard to the western continent?”

 

I spent a while explaining to the emperor and the barons about what’d happened. I started with how we’d set out on a simple escort mission, and then we suffered a pirate attack. I skipped over mentioning how I’d lost my shatterblade, as well as some of the more personal things that’d happened between Taryn and I.

 

I also made certain to not mention Taryn’s father, nor how I’d basically signed a contract with him. By the time I’d finished the story I could tell a few of the barons didn’t believe me, but unlike Gerald none of them seemed interested in trying to start a fight.

 

Emperor Cantrium studied me as I spoke, his face not once betraying his innermost thoughts. When I finished talking he reached out and tapped the table with a single finger. “Your tale was informative, Lady Rose,” he said, “yet you failed to explain why one of the Losson followed you here.”

 

“I promised Chief Ophain of the Losson to request a favor of the emperor, and Kaina was sent to make sure I did that,” I replied.

 

“What favor would that be?”

 

“Chief Ophain has requested we acknowledge the Losson as a nation, that they own what we haven’t settled, and the ruins will remain inviolate.”

 

My words brought an immediate uproar from the majority of the barons present. A few even stood up as they shouted in protest, while only two remained silent in their chairs. Cantrium sat in his own seat in silence as he stared at me, his gaze enough to make me feel like a massive weight had been set upon me.

 

“This is unwarranted and disgusting,” one of the barons declared.

 

“We should send some of the Legion to knock sense into these savages,” another of the barons said.

 

Since my focus was on him I was one of the few that noticed the anger that slowly formed on Cantrium’s face. A wave of raw energy spread out from him, one that sent a shudder down my spine and made me kneel to the ground instinctively. Next to me Taryn had followed suit while the barons slumped into their seats. The only ones not affected by the raw power of Cantrium’s Presence were my father and the Praetorians.

 

“I have grown weary of all of this squabbling,” Cantrium said as he stood up. With every word I could feel a little more pressure on my shoulders, and it was a pressure that started to make me panic.

 

“Your Imperial Majesty, please relinquish,” I said, almost begging, as I chose to violate the law in an attempt to make him stop. My own head had started to be pushed to the floor due to the weight of his power.

 

In my next breath the pressure was gone as Cantrium retracted his Presence back inward. I drew in a long breath, and as I looked up at the emperor I saw not a face of anger but instead softness. He smiled down at me, a brief expression that was removed the next moment when he glared at the barons.

 

“We have no need of the western continent, it is dangerous and we have yet to even utilize the majority of our own lands.” Cantrium settled back down into his chair. “To that end I would much rather have peace and trade with the Losson. We will agree to the request of their chief, and if anyone has an issue with it I can privately talk to them.”

 

Though there were some sour expressions at the table nobody spoke up. Cantrium gave a nod of his head at that as he lifted one hand up. “You are all dismissed. I would like to speak with Lady Rose and her friends and family.”

 

Perhaps because it was so sudden but a few of the barons merely looked at Cantrium with shock. It was only as the more responsive of their group had already moved to the exit that they finally followed stirred. None of the barons chose to speak to anyone on their way out, though the displeasure of most was easy enough to see.

 

Emperor Cantrium rose up from his seat after the barons had left, his hands clapping together loudly. “Vandross, my old friend, how’ve you been?” he asked in a jovial tone.

 

“Good Cant, good,” my father said as he walked over to the table and shook his hand, “thank you for swatting down most of those barons.”

 

“Trust me when I say it was my pleasure, by the gods do I wish I could wring their necks most of the time.”

 

I could only look at my father and Cantrium with a bit of confusion and surprise, as while I knew that they knew each other well I’d never seen the emperor act so freely before. I went to ask a question, but I closed my mouth as I didn’t want to violate the normal etiquette.

 

“You do not need to burden yourself with concern, Liliana,” Cantrium said as he’d noticed how I’d gone to speak, “besides you already broke the rules once today didn’t you?”

 

“Well, yes, and I’m sorry for that, Your Imperial Majesty.”

 

“No, please don’t do that, call me Cantrium,” he told me as he gave a laugh, “I have no need for formality in privacy. Though I am wondering why you chose to violate the etiquette.”

 

I responded with a shake of my head to that. “That is a private matter I’d rather not share right now.”

 

“Does that mean I can talk now?” Taryn asked as he glanced back and forth between us.

 

“Yes boy, speak all you want. By the way how is Alise doing?”

 

Taryn’s eyes widened at the question. “Mother is doing fine.”

 

“Refreshing, I’d rather worried about how bored she must be at that orphanage,” Cantrium said as he sat down on the table, “when I heard you were coming I made certain to write a letter for her. Please deliver it for me.”

 

Taryn could only give a nod of his head at that request.

 

“Speaking of, Cant, why’d you really summon my daughter?” my father asked as he crossed his arms.

 

Cantrium gently tapped the top of the table with one finger. “A part of it was to play the court game. I need to appease the barons and so I gave them a chance to see the newest hero. The other reason though was to give her a reward.”

 

“A reward?”

 

“Yes. Whatever you request, so long as it is within reason, I shall grant it.”

 

I was put on the spot by that as I’d never really thought on what I wanted. It’d taken me a long time to realize it but I’d gathered a bit of a family, between my original and the orphanage. I looked at Taryn and smiled at the thought of how I’d managed to find someone like him, Alise, Shorty, Skara, and all the children.

 

Yet to think of something I wanted was a bit hard. I had found a home, I had made a name for myself, and I’d started to walk on my own path to an unknown future. Whatever Cantrium might offer I didn’t need, because I’d managed to get what I wanted with my own hands.

 

“I don’t need anything, but thank you.”

 

Emperor Cantrium started to laugh uproariously at that comment. He slapped his knee while tears started to squeeze out of the corners of his eyes. “Vandross how did you make one like this! Oh if only Tyreem was half as good as her I’d be ready to retire already.”

 

My father showed no emotion, though he gave a nod of his head. “Esmeralda and I are proud of her,” he said.

 

“As you should be, well let’s say that I owe you a reward in the future.” Cantrium stood up and motioned to the door. “Now I’m going to borrow your father for a bit, but you all can rest up and then return home.”

 

It was an abrupt end to our journey to the palace, but an end that I yearned for. While Cantrium had turned out a bit more jovial than I’d anticipated I didn’t care much for staying within that stone building. There was always a hint of dread that hung over it, as it was a place built for war.

 

So we all returned to the rest of the city and found a proper inn. I wrote up a quick little letter that explained that Cantrium had agreed to Ophain’s requests, and the next morning I hired a messenger to make sure it was delivered. After that we all returned to Scintallia via the carriage.

 

♪ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♪

 

Four days later we’d already returned to my parents’ home and started to rest up. My mother and I spent most of our time in deep conversation about the upcoming birth, and I didn’t hide my excitement at finally having a brother or sister. Meanwhile Taryn spent most of his time reading the books in the library as though trying to make up for his lack of knowledge.

 

Kaina was the one who was most uncomfortable as she was in such an unfamiliar world. I’d managed to talk a couple of my maids into keeping her company, as I knew that they could not only keep her busy but also help with her language skills. If she was to spend a long time in the Empire she would need to become much more proficient at speaking.

 

When my father finally returned from the palace he had a displeased look on his face. He kept rubbing at his temples, but when I asked him what was wrong he dodged the question time and again. My mother had told me to ignore it but it was a bit of a worry.

 

That night we had all gathered in the main dining hall and were seated. Taryn and I sat next to each other and Kaina was on the other side, while my father sat at the head of the table with my mother opposite of him. Vargos had requested the chef to serve us a fine roasted chicken with some lemon, along with a salad crafted from a type of lettuce I wasn’t familiar with.

 

“Liliana,” my mother suddenly said after we’d finished most of the dinner, “what are your plans?”

 

I’d been in the middle of drinking my water, and so I put it back down on the table and cleared my throat. “What are you talking about, mother? I plan to stay here until you give birth.”

 

The woman who had been nicknamed the Ice Queen gave a warm smile at me, one that made me smile in response. “Of course,” she said as she wiped at her mouth with a napkin, “but I meant after that.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, I was planning to go back to the orphanage,” I replied as I started to feel nervous, and I glanced at Taryn, “though in a few months I was going to come back.”

 

“Why’s that, dear?”

 

It was the question I’d dreaded to answer, but one I knew that I had to properly answer. “Because I believe that you and dad will want me to hold my marriage ceremony here.”

 

Though there’d been little in the way of noise in the room to begin with, all of that noise still stopped as every servant stared at me with wide eyes. Even Vargos had seemed to almost stop breathing, his eyes darting between me and my mother. Taryn was the only one who showed no response, as he’d already accepted that I was forcing him into a marriage.

 

It was due to that silence that I could clearly hear the sound of metal as it crumpled beneath a powerful force, and I turned slowly to look at where it’d come from. My father’s metal cup of wine had been turned into a thin lump, while the wine within had oozed out of the top all over the table and his hand.

 

“Liliana, I believe you skipped a step,” my mother said in a tone that held none of the warmness from before.

 

“I know I should’ve talked to you before, but with everything that’s been happening it’s been hectic,” I said as I tried to defend myself, my eyes never once moving from my father, “besides I’m old enough to make my own choices aren’t I?”

 

The metal cup that my father held was dropped on top of the table, and a pair of maids stepped forward and hurriedly cleaned up the mess. Their faces were pale as they took the lump of metal and replaced it with a new cup, and even as they poured the wine into the cup I could easily see how badly their hands shook.

 

“Yes, you are old enough,” my father admitted as he picked up the new cup, “even still you should have spoken with us.”

 

“I’m sorry,” I apologized with a slight bowing of my head, “though...I suppose I should tell you one other thing as well.”

 

My father was wise enough to put his cup down at those words. With all of the attention of the entire room on me I nervously reached over and slipped my hand into Taryn’s.

 

“I’m pregnant.”

 

3