Chapter 8
85 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Far below me, a meadow stretches for miles, colliding with the full moon on the horizon. Purple mist swirls in the air, settling on the ground and nearly obscuring the tiny white wildflowers which dot the meadow. I’m sitting on top of a boulder, taller than it is wide. My feet dangle over the edge, kicking merrily as I hum to myself

From over the horizon, silhouetted by moonlight, a figure rushes forward. Their clothing bounces and floats as their arms and legs pump and propel them faster and faster. The figure grows larger as they run in my direction, panting, crying, screaming.

And then I spot it. The pursuer, the predator. The horrid, snarling thing bounds forward on all-fours. Some protrusion from its shoulder blades flops wildly as it runs, casting its silhouette into infinite abstract shapes. It is faster than its prey and gaining ground at an alarming pace.

But the prey's feet are carried by mortal fear. Deep in the wells of the prey’s soul, they know that if they pause, if they stumble, if they fall, they will be set upon mercilessly. Gnashing teeth will rend them from this world, turning their warm blood chill as it sinks into the earth.

I watch with mild, disaffected interest as the two grow larger and larger. Slowly their forms become more clear. The prey is a stocky woman, clad in hunting gear. Flopping wildly on her back is a quiver of arrows. The weapon meant to pair with them has long-since been abandoned. I examine the terror plastered on the woman's face. Her features are familiar. The golden bun on top of Elaine's head is flouncing back and forth with every step. Her green eyes are overburdened by tears. Her features are twisted into a mask of fear.

Now the predator comes into view. Untrained eyes might call it a wolf, with its long snout and hulking paws. Even its fur is a dark auburn which shines in the moonlight. And yet, sprouting from its forehead are a pair of dark purple horns which swoop back over its head and point toward the sky. Huge leathery wings trail behind it like a cape catching the wind.

The chimera is closing on Elaine. It snarls loudly and she screams in response. Her gaze shoots upward when she notices me watching her. She breaks for the boulder on which I sit. Elaine is screaming and crying, begging me to reach down and help her up. I just watch, impassively.

Now the chimera sets upon Elaine, landing its huge paws on her shoulders and forcing her against the stone. She screams again, so loud my ears rumble and sting. Red saliva drips from the chimera’s savoring lips as it clamps its jaw around her neck. The loud crack of shattering bone rings out across the meadow. Blood fills the chimera's mouth, spatters on the rocks, coats my feet and hands. The ragged rattle of a final breath rises from Elaine’s throat as her body loses connection to its higher power.

The face below me slowly drains of color and vibrance. Their cheek rests on the stone. Dull brown eyes stare up at me, frozen in desperation. A tear solidifies and streams down a once-warm brown cheek. Now it is Walter’s head which hangs limply, connected to his body only by tissue and cartilage. His limp body slides from beneath the great creature’s paws and hits the ground with a flat thud. His glassy eyes stare up at me in despair.

Walter’s empty eyes stare up at me. The accusation is plain on his face. A deep well opens in my chest. I can’t breathe. My eyes are locked with Walter’s. I have to look away. My eyes refuse to comply. I can’t look away. The prickle of tears rises up my cheeks, converges at the tip of my nose, threatens my eyes.

My panic is interrupted when the chimera looks up at me. Its baleful blue eyes are full of hunger and avarice. Blood stains its face a bright red. It paces back and forth around the boulder, flapping its wings until they catch an errant breeze.

My blood-tipped fingers enter my vision as they reach, desperately for the chimera. Huge teeth snap at me as the chimera's wings lift it higher and higher above my head. A low growl emanates from its throat, promising its violent return. It rises into the sky, disappearing like smoke.

I wake with a start, safely cradled by warm blankets and the steady breathing of my companions. The sky has granted a premonition to me. I try to recall the details. I remember the full moon and Walter’s lifeless eyes. The next full moon is in ten days. I’m going to miss him dearly.


 

Alkane farm lies at the easternmost point of Two Rocks. Unwittingly, we passed through these fields on our first night in town. The farmstead rests at the top of a gentle hill. A huge, well-maintained barn towers over the miscellaneous buildings here. At the back of the property is what can only be described as a hunting lodge. The house is a single story but stretches far across the property. Firewood is heaped nearly to the roof beside the building. A huge pair of antlers are mounted just over the door. Walter knocks.

The door is answered by a tall, gruff man with skin tanned by years of outdoor labor. His stature even puts Walter’s might to shame. His off-white peasant shirt is cut off at the sleeve, showcasing the bulk of the man’s arms. He wears a pair of stained overalls and high leather boots. I notice his tangled mane of hair and unkempt beard in particular. They’re auburn. The man gives us an inquisitive look. “What can I do ya for, gentlemen?”

“Hello, sir,” Walter beams. “We’re with the State Militia. We’re looking for Adrian Alkane.”

“Speakin’.” Adrian’s expression darkens.

I cut in. “We’ll need you to step aside, then. You have the right to be present but we’ll be searching the premises.”

“What?” Adrian’s already frustrated expression twists into one of rage.

“I’m only required to inform you that you are under suspicion, Mr. Alkane. Now I ask one more time. Step aside before I get impatient.” I wave a hand as if to shoo him.

“Owen, enough.” Walter’s short, barked order is dripping with derision. He resumes his sweet, cool tone when addressing Adrian. “We won’t take much of your time. There are just some rumors we need to clear up before we proceed with our investigations.”

Adrian grumbles and steps aside, watching us intently as we step into his home. The building is a single open room with ten single beds lining the far wall. A long table with innumerable chairs dominates the center of the room. Roaring fireplaces at opposite ends of the table are lit and warming the entire house. Every wall is hung overindulgently with animal hides, stuffed heads, antlers, shields, axes and more. Sidhion and I pace along the row of beds, searching for likely hiding places. I can feel Adrian’s eyes burning a hole in my head as I walk.

Walter stays beside Adrian, attempting to pry information from our host. “So, I take it you’re a big name in Two Rocks.”

Adrian seems reluctant to answer even this. “We’re the biggest food supplier in town.”

“Must be hard feeding such a large population.”

“Can be troublesome.”

Walter pays Adrian that sweet expression he reserves for difficult people. “How do you manage it?”

“Hard work. Diverse sources.”

“And you provide for everyone? Even the big ol’ fancy Rynors?”

“Sometimes,” Adrian grumbles, “Why?”

“Just a nice thought, isn’t it? The top brass in town still eat the same as everyone else.” Walter’s expression turns a little dreamy.

“I suppose.”

“And I take it that since you supply most of the city, you use every part of everything you produce.”

“We try not to make waste here.”

Walter finally rounds on the important topics. “You ever make animal fat? Lard and the like?”

“No. We don’t prepare any animals here. Just deliver them to those what paid for ‘em.” Adrian is watching Walter’s movements now, trying to pry from his eyes the reason for these questions.

“Damn,” Walter grins. “Was hoping to pick up something to spice up our dinner tonight. Oh well.”

I approach them now. “The house is clean. We need to check the barn.”

Any headway Walter made with befriending Adrian is shattered at my suggestion. Without a word he leads Sidhion and me to the barn. He unlocks it and watches us search. The barn is spacious and full. The floor is largely dirt but lined with hay in many places. A myriad of farm equipment is stored here: large metal structures with huge wheels, sharp plows and jutting metal. Nearby are a selection of storage cabinets and shelves bustling with minutia. Square bales of hay are stacked on a loft above us. Sidhion begins his search at the cabinets.

As I begin to walk over a particularly dense section of hay, my boot collides with a metal ring embedded in the ground. I watch Adrian out of the corner of my eye as I kick aside the hay concealing it and the tiny door it’s attached to. He’s frozen, his face a red mask of fury. I give him a haughty smirk. “You don’t mind, do you?”

I lift the ring. The door is connected to a hinged box embedded into the dirt here. Within the box, stacked on top of everything else is a pile of loose papers. I pick one up and inspect it. My face goes beet red as I am met with a drawing of a woman. Her back is to the viewer, though she casts a coquettish glance backward. She is leaning forward, presenting her exposed rear to the audience. I reflexively drop the page back onto the pile. I refuse to face Adrian’s mocking grin.

"What's wrong? What did you find?" Sidhion peers over my shoulder. His face doesn't change a bit when he sees what I’ve found. "Oh grow up."

Sidhion gathers the papers into a neat stack and sets them aside. Beneath the pornography Sidhion finds a small parcel of coins, a fiction book and two small vials which he holds aloft. "Ah, what's this?"

"Medicine,” Adrian barks.

"What kind?"

"It's for the animals. Puts 'em to sleep if we need to work on them."

"So ether?" Sidhion watches closely for Adrian's reaction.

"Sure. Ain't illegal is it?" Adrian's response is dripping with wrath. The muscles in his arms contract as he forms two hulking fists.

"Not strictly. For doctors at least." Sidhion slips the vials into his jacket pocket. "But we are going to have to temporarily confiscate these until our investigation is complete. I do believe we're done here. We'll be on our way once we collect Walter."


 

My companions and I pass through the outer gate of Alkane farm. Walter trots along beside Sidhion, largely ignoring my presence. "No luck with the farmhands. Not surprised they didn't flip but they didn't seem to know anything anyway."

"We didn't find much either. We confiscated the ether, though.” Sidhion chuckles, “After Owen got a little shock."

Walter laughs derisively. "What was the excuse for having it then?"

"Farm animal surgery."

Walter's face scrunches up in confusion. "That doesn't sound quite right."

Sidhion shrugs. "I didn't press too hard since we want to gather more solid evidence before pressing charges. We need someone credible to corroborate whether the farm really uses ether on animals."

"Like Elaine?" Walter grins widely. An avaricious glint passes through his eye.

"I had a feeling you'd say that." Sidhion rolls his eyes.

We walk on for a while in near silence. I keep my eyes on the ground, thinking about my dream and Walter's recent treatment of me. His cold demeanor keeps me from sharing and possibly subverting this fate. He despises me now because he knows what I am. And it would be a convenient means to dispose of the loose end. But a large part of me would miss his company. And another part still holds out hope that he can come around. I steel my nerves. "Hey Walter, do you like Elaine?"

"Like her? Sure." Walter shrugs at me.

"Is she important?"

"All people are important." Walter's tone is impatient.

My nerve falters but I push through. "I had a dream last night. On the night of the next full moon she's going to be in danger. So are you."

Walter's eyes go wide. "You can bet I'll be in danger 'cause I'll be standing in front of her!"

"You barely even know her,” I admonish.

"That doesn't matter."

"You might die!" A faint prickle rises in my eyes but I quickly force the thought away.

Walter’s shoulders rise as he straightens into an official posture. "That's what we signed up for on this job. Protecting the innocent folk of this town from whatever killer’s afoot."

"No contract is worth your life," I exclaim.

Sidhion cuts in. "Most people have principles they would die for. You don't have to understand it. You just have to respect it.”

I examine Walter’s face for the first time in a while. His brow is furrowed in frustration and thought.

"If you want,” I whisper, “I'll come help you."

Walter looks at me, the faintest of smiles growing on his lips.

"We'll all be there,” Sidhion declares. “We're nothing if not a team."


 

Elaine’s eyes light up when she sees Walter standing on her doorstep. “Oh, Captain Walter! I was hoping I’d see you again. Please, come in, come in! Quick, before anyone sees me talking to you.”

Walter chuckles. “A pleasure to see you, Miss Mayes. There a reason you’d like to keep this liaison a secret?”

“My boss thinks I shouldn’t be hanging around you.” She rolls her eyes. “Don’t ask.”

Elaine shuts the door behind us and guides the group into the little kitchen. Her home is in slightly better shape than Panril’s. At the very least all the lighting is deliberate and she has enough chairs for everyone. Elaine takes a weathered copper kettle and hangs it over an old hearth. She tries to pass Walter as she heads to lay out a proper spread of tea and snacks. He grabs her hand and looks up at her. “Come on now. No need for all that. Just sit and talk.”

Elaine pays Walter an odd smile and scoots a chair beside him. She’s barely acknowledged Sidhion’s or my presence. Instead all of her attention is focused on Walter.

Walter’s face tightens into a more serious expression. “This is about our case. Not a social call, okay? I’m gonna ask you some questions and I need you to think long and hard before you answer.”

Elaine frowns but nods determinedly.

Walter begins, “Do you know what ether is?”

Elaine shakes her head. “Never heard of it.”

“It puts people to sleep,” Walter explains. “It’s illegal to own if you aren’t a doctor. Your boss seems to be keeping the stuff in stock. Do you have any idea why he might do that?”

Elaine squints and shakes her head. “To put people to sleep? We don’t need anything that does that.”

“Not for anything? Not even putting animals to sleep?”

Elaine shakes her head. “It’s not like the farm does anything that needs the animals to sleep.”

“Not any medical procedures?”

“Captain,” Elaine scoffs, “That’s a farm they’re running. None of the animals there are pets. If they need something major, it’s best to just put them out of their misery.”

“Have you ever even heard of something like that being done?”

“No but..” Elaine lowers her head in thought. Sorrow creeps across her face and twists her features. “I just had a thought. Might help you, might not. I’ve lost two friends this year. Went out on a hunting trip, never came back. Everyone chalked it up to animal attacks. We searched and searched for them but never even found their clothes or packs. But something about it struck me as odd. Mr. Alkane always seemed so cold to it. Like he didn’t care he sent them out to die.”

“What does this have to do with anything,” I interrupt.

“If Mr. Alkane is doing something illegal with that ether.. I don’t know, maybe he sent my friends out on purpose.”

I scoff. “I don’t think this concerns us. We have a specific murder to solve. We can’t get bogged down with everyone’s missing cat.”

Walter turns his gaze on me. His brow is creased innumerable times. A sneer forms on his lips. His tone is low and deliberate. “You need to close your mouth right now. This young lady came asking us for help because no one else will.”

“But the connection is tenuous at best-”

Walter cuts me off with a terrifying roar. He leaps to his feet, knocking his seat back several feet. “Enough! We’re going to do a good thing for an innocent person. You know for a fact that she needs our help. You said you’d be there. And if you aren’t, it’s over between us.”

As Walter yells, I sink further and further down my seat. My objections fly away when they are met with his ire. My chin collides with the table and I can sink no further. Walter knows everything about me. And he knows that he can use that information to drag me down any course he desires. I would admire his extortion if he used this on literally anyone else.

Walter takes a deep, centering breath. He sits back down with a thud. “Sorry for shouting in your house, Miss Mayes. Of course we’ll look into your friends for you.”

My head is still resting on the table. I muster my confidence and whisper. “Ask her about the full moon.”

Sidhion shoots me an icy look. I know we agreed not to worry Elaine with my premonition but it’s the real issue in my mind and Walter is distracted by his do-goodery.

Elaine looks at me as if I have a second head. “What about the moon?”

Walter waves a dismissive hand in my direction. “Don’t listen to him. I did want to know if you’ll be doing anything different or important in ten days' time.”

Elaine rests a hand on her cheek. “Uh.. I’ll be a day or two into a solo-hunt.”

“Mind if we tag along with ya?” Walter rests his head on his hand and winks at Elaine.

Strangely, she blushes at the suggestion. “Well.. I could use an extra hand to carry back anything I catch. Yeah. Meet me here at the crack of dawn. Bring a few days worth of food and water.”

Walter is the first to stand. “Great! We better get outta your hair. Go on ahead first, gents. I’ll catch up.”

Sidhion again leads me out of Walter and Elaine’s presence. This time, just out of the corner of my eye, I spot Walter stealing a kiss from Elaine’s lips before turning to go. Realization crashes over my head like a vase. Heat rises to my cheeks. My mind snaps back to the day we met Elaine. The way Walter treated her with such kindness. How he went out of his way to make her smile. The way her eyes never left him, even when he stood far away.

I imagine what must have happened when Sidhion took me away last time. Walter’s lips kissing away the tears on Elaine’s cheeks. Elaine’s hands exploring Walter’s face, pulling him closer, joining her lips to his. The pair of them searching for comfort in the embrace of their tongues. Walter’s huge, rough hands lifting her up and onto the table. Clothes landing on the floor. Moaning, huffing, gasping, as their bodies join. Exposed flesh bouncing with each and every thrust. Exercising their emotions through each other.

It confounds me how Walter has fallen in love with someone within an hour of their meeting. Still, I feel an utter fool for not seeing the signs.

Walter paces up behind us. An oppressive tension fills the silence. No one is joking or laughing like we normally do. I inhale deeply. My eyes are glued to my boots. I steel my nerves to say what I must. The words lodge in my throat. My own mouth rebels against my commands. With a deep exhale I announce to the world in general, “Walter, I’m uhm.. Sorry for upsetting you.”

1