THE LAWLESS [PART THREE]
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Turning around, the young woman swings the weapon back towards the huddled group of captives, her fellow gang members keeping guns trained on defenseless targets.

“Went well?” Jacob asks with a smile towards the approaching leader.

“Oh yeah.” Maddie chuckles beneath the bandana. “Can’t miss my charm after all!”

From the ground the Bank Manager speaks up. A self imposed plan towards thieves and thugs, a thinly veiled threat within sage advice. “You better run before their backup arrives.”

A pause, silence as they all affix on the speaker.

“What?” Maddie turns to the perpetrator, stopping her stroll midway. “And why would we do that?!”

“You ain’t getting out of here alive if that’s what you’re thinking.” The old man states as he grits his teeth.

Removing the black, wide brimmed hat upon her head the leader of the gang squats down in front of him. Brown eyes meeting blue, a pureblood of Centralis untarnished as she speaks. “Oh that’s assuming we’re getting out of here through the front.”

“They’ll lock this entire block down, front and back! You ain’t getting out of here alive, not if they have anything to do about it!!!”

“Will they now?” The young woman chuckles, turning to her comrades. An order placed on Jacob as she stands, taking his place on the firing line. “Get the radio set up.”

“Oh I’m already on it.” The man replies hastily as he reholsters his shotgun, pulling the boxy speaker system from his chest carrier. “March Central News or Radio Tomorrow?”

“M.C.N.” Rin grunts at his side.

Jacob chuckles, a childhood’s own entertainment providing a biased opinion. “I’m more of a Radio Tomorrow guy, but M.C.N. it is, I suppose.”

Airwaves received, signals converted to sound as the system blares out radio static. A few seconds of blinding white noise, the mechanism finding the broadcast as a human tone pulls through.

Smooth, the Reporter’s deep voice remains calm and collected as he brings forth grave news. “... situation is unfolding. Number of hostages are unknown at present. The Police Constable has assured the March Central News Center that the authorities are aware of the situation and are responding accordingly.”

“Already reporting on us huh?” Jacob scoffs. “That was quick.”

“It is too soon.” Rin notes.

“Shut up.” Maddie shushes.

The voice continues. “... responsibility for the incident. But the authorities believe that the perpetrating group has relations to several religious and political terrorist groups including March Freedom and possibly even the Temple of the Savior. Authorities have the mansion and the palace complex surrounded, with the inclusion of several judges in the area. However there seems to be no plans for an intervention at current, and there has been no news on the status of the Governor or his family or the guests that were in the building at the time of the initial attack.”

“The Governor's Mansion?” Rin asks.

“Welcome to the Southlands Rin.” Jacob comments with dry amusement as he sets the radio on the tellers’ desk. “Religious terrorism is a way of life here.”

From the halls the sound of drilling begins to echo forth, the subtle whirring of mechanisms building to a low-pitched squeal of metal tearing through metal as drill bits reach into the guts of locking mechanisms.

“... recommended to stay indoors at the moment. Repeat: all citizens are advised to stay indoors. We will be continuously updating you on the situation on this channel.”

“Gods above…” Maddie grunts, an already executed plan reformulating in minds. “Great.”

“Switch it to Radio Tomorrow.” Rin requests Jacob sternly.

“Alright alright.”

The radio pauses as it rescans the airwaves, the new channel found with a female voice interjecting static. “... the main question now is the Governor himself. Is he alright? What about the rest of the guests?”

Another voice on the radio answers, distorted as the signal is relayed through another speaker system. “Well Jennifer, a majority of the police and even troops of the Federation garrison here have the compound completely surrounded. However it seems that the handful of Judges here have taken leadership and are attempting to work on negotiating an exchange for several of the hostages before proceeding. But as of now, there has been no information on either the perpetrators responsible or their motives.”

The four present gang members exchange glances before turning over to their leader. A neutral glance returned by her as a mind is immersed in consideration to factors newly found.

“You must think you’re lucky.” The Bank Manager spits. “No cops to stop you on your way out.”

The Leader ignores him, pausing as her thoughts find a singular conclusion. “We might need a new plan guys.”

Plans always fail, that's why you make backup plans.

And because they're also plans... well you get the point.

Join our discord, we talk about unspeakable things: https://discord.gg/M2JXjpFHzb

0