Chapter 1: Mitoma and the first meet
220 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Kaoru..."

"......"

"KAORU!"

"Whoa!"

"So you finally woke up!"

When I opened my eyes, I witnessed the usual smile of my friend, Tanaka. It was at lunch break when he noticed my miserable condition. Tanaka was my only friend here ever since middle school. 

"Well... I was not sleeping, just having a headache." (Mitoma)

"Headache? Wait, ah... so you didn't sleep at night? You have dark circles under your eyes." (Tanaka)

"Probably...." (Mitoma)

It's true that I couldn't sleep well at night. The reason, though, wasn't something people could easily guess. And it's also embarrassing. Actually I had stomach problems last day, and I had to go to the toilet so many times. And thus, I couldn't sleep at all last night. 

"Let me guess... you were playing some video games? Or watching anything on TV?" (Tanaka)

"Nah..." (Mitoma)

"Then... did you wake up whole night talking to your girlfriend?" (Tanaka)

"I wish I could... but I don't have any..." (Mitoma)

"Ah yes I forgot... it's Kaoru after all... you really should have had one by now." (Tanaka)

"Shut up! I'm not a normie and handsome like you! And besides that... I'm completely useless." (Mitoma)

Damn... why should he always bring this up? It hurts.... It's not like I'm one of those so called introverts who prefers to stay alone and never have any girlfriend... It's actually the opposite

The truth was... I couldn't get anyone. I actually tried many times... but rejected by every single one....

"Cheer up man. By the way, what happened with Minakami? Didn't you tell me that you would ask her out this week?" (Tanaka)

I didn't answer to him, instead I showed him a particular sign with my fingers.

"I see... so was it the 4th or 5th rejection?" (Tanaka)

"4th." (Mitoma)

"Damn... no, I mean she doesn't deserve you anyway! She doesn't know how great a guy you are. But I certainly know you, Kaoru." (Tanaka)

I sighed and wryly smiled at him. He clearly was trying to cheer me up. He's a true friend of mine. There are some other friends of me. However with them I don't really spend time that much.

"Not really. I'm just a dull guy. Nothing interesting about me." (Mitoma)

"No way you're so negative dude... You remember when you were so positive and enthusiastic back in middle school!? You were also the best student there." (Tanaka)

"Middle school days are gone my friend. I was the best student there. I had so many friends there. We used to stay as a gang there. However those days are gone. My grades have dropped. I don't have many friends apart from you. And... my everyday is just so painful." (Mitoma)

I used to rank 1st in my middle school. However right now I was a nobody. Last semester I ranked 27th. That's a massive drop off. Of course, high school has more competition but still...

Tanaka looked at me and thought a little. Then he said, "I guess... you still didn't recover from your parents divorce, did you?" 

"Sigh.... probably." (Mitoma)

It's true.... 6 months ago, the divorce of my parents mentally affected me. I still can't forget the crying face of my mom. We were a family of three. But now, I live with my mom only. And she started working as well and thus mostly stayed outside home. So that's why, most of the time I live alone in my home.

"You know my friend, I think you desperately need a girlfriend." (Tanaka)

"Could you please shut up?" (Mitoma)

"T-Tanaka-kun!"

At this moment, a girl called Tanaka from behind. It was a shy, beautiful girl, with blonde hair. Needless to say, it was Tanaka's girlfriend. Her name was Suzuki Mio.

"Ah Mio? What happened?" (Tanaka)

"Y-You know it's lunch break, right? Why didn't you come to the rooftop yet? I was waiting there?" (Suzuki)

"Ah sorry, sorry. Then Kaoru, I'm gonna leave." (Tanaka)

"Enjoy." (Mitoma)

It makes me jealous to see a couple in my class. However it also makes me smile to see how cute they look together. 

It takes 30 minutes for me to go home from school. 20 minutes in the train. Then 10 minutes on my bicycle. I keep my bicycle at a shop near the station where I get down.

I didn't know why... but today the train was a bit too crowded. 

I was looking for my water bottle in my bag but it was difficult to even stand properly with the continuous pressure I was experiencing from my surroundings.

I looked at my surroundings, there were all men except one high school girl. By the looks of her dress, she was not a student from my high school. 

Suddenly I noticed... something was wrong with the girl. She was obviously not feeling good surrounded by so many men. But...

Oh God....

Surely... someone had to notice it... 

But... I feel nobody was even looking at all.... 

The girl... was fidgeting. She was praying for someone to notice.

I had to do something. I couldn't just see it and be indifferent. 

At first I thought about calling out. However, I didn't do it. Instead, my hand responded before my head. I was holding the water bottle in my hand for some time. I threw it with full strength, straight to the face of the creepy guy behind the girl.

"OUCH!"

"Eh?"

The girl was surprised and so were the passengers. The guy, who was in pain, looked at me.

"You brat! What are you doing!"

"What were YOU doing to that girl?"

"I...I... was doing nothing!"

"You're a molester!"

"N-No! I'm not!"

"Excuse me, Mr.", suddenly a big old man from behind grabbed the molester's shoulders. "I'm a retired police officer. May I ask you what were you doing?"

The molester froze to death. He couldn't utter a word. The old man then looked at the girl, who was silent, but had teary eyes.

"Hey little girl, was this guy molesting you?"

The girl didn't respond but slowly nodded her head.

"Well that's it then.", he then grabbed the molester and said, "You're coming with me. I didn't have my boxing practice for a long time."

After 5 minutes, everything was back to normal. It was almost time for my station to come. I looked at the girl. She was quiet ever since that incident. Now I looked at her, she was a average-height girl with short black hair. She was nothing flashy, however I did think she's a very cute girl.

Should I ask her name? 

Nah... she doesn't look like she wants to talk to anyone right now. It's better to leave her alone.

If this was an anime or manga, the girl would fall in love with me... but reality is different from anime. 

My thoughts were broken by the announcement of my station. I was getting ready to leave. 

At that moment, suddenly I felt a tug on my sleeves. 

I looked behind to see that girl... looking at me with her big and cute eyes.

"Thank.... you."

"Ah... Don't worry about that haha."

She looked like she wanted to say something more but at the end, she didn't.

I was running out of time, so I just nodded my head and left.

I wonder... if I would ever meet her again....


The next day....

I was as usual, relaxing at my classroom when Tanaka came towards me.

"Yo my friend, we have planned a karaoke event today." (Tanaka)

"Karaoke? How many of you?" (Mitoma)

"Two boys - me and Kamada and three girls including Mio. You too join us." (Tanaka)

"Umm... I think I'll pass." (Mitoma)

"Huh? Why?" (Tanaka)

I was about to say it looked too tiring, but before I answered, Tanaka suddenly caught something outside from the window.

"Huh? Who is that girl at the school gate? What is she doing?" (Tanaka)

I looked at the window and saw, indeed there was a girl standing at the gate. It was as if she was thinking whether to enter or not. It was not lunch break so she was the only one there.

"She's certainly not from our school. What is she doing?" (Tanaka)

Yeah, her uniform was different... wait... hold on... 

"Whoa!" (Mitoma)

"Eh? What happened, Kaoru?" (Tanaka)

Indeed, what is she doing here? 

8