Chapter 3: First day
130 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaoru Mitoma:

After school, I hurriedly reached the train station. There I waited for my newly made friend. She told me to wait for her here. Just 10 minutes later, Shinonome arrived. Her school was far away from the station than my school, so it was expected for her to arrive a little late.

However it seemed like she was almost running when she arrived. Her face looked apologetic when she saw me.

"I'm very sorry! Did I make you wait too long?" (Shinonome)

"Not at all! I also just arrived." (Mitoma)

"Really? That's good." (Shinonome)

"Also you don't have to worry being late. I will happily wait as long as I have to for Shinonome-san." (Mitoma)

As soon as I said that, I instantly regretted. Wait, isn't that basically saying "I'm so into her"?! Shinonome surely wouldn't like it. She would probably start to fear me as well and that would be the end of our friendship.

However to my surprise, Shinonome didn't seem to mind anything I said. Instead she turned her face away (and blushed) and said,

"R-Really? I'm v-very happy to hear that, Mitoma-kun." (Shinonome)

Just like everyday, there was no empty seats in the train. Shinonome went and stood at a particular corner and leaned back against the wall. I stood in front of her to guard her from other men.

"Is it fine like this, Shinonome-san?" (Mitoma)

"Yeah. Thanks." (Shinonome)

After that we remained quiet for some time. And soon it became... awkward. 

I wanted to talk something but I had little knowledge anwhich things girls like to talk. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I had been rejected four times.

You'd probably think, "But Mitoma, if you had the courage to confess four times to girls, why don't you confess to Shinonome as well? Don't you like her?".

So hear me out... I indeed like Shinonome. In fact, she's probably the best girl I have met. Her innocence, her cuteness, her smile... everything is out of this world.

However, Shinonome only wanted to befriend me because she's scared of me. And for some unknown reasons, I turned out to be the only boy who she didn't fear.

And top of that, I had a record of 100% rejections in my life. That's not really a good look.

So, if I go all out and confess to her, there's a 89% chance (according to my mental calculation) that she would reject me. And also there's a 72% probability that she would not only reject me but also break our friendship which was made on trust.

"Umm... Mitoma-kun?" (Shinonome)

My thoughts were broken after Shinonome called me.

"Yes?" (Mitoma)

"Can I ask you about yourself? Like your hobbies and other stuffs?" (Shinonome)

"Oh yeah. I like watching soccer. I also read manga and light novels." (Mitoma)

"You like soccer? Just like my father." (Shinonome)

"Wow. That's cool." (Mitoma)

"Although I myself never understood soccer haha." (Shinonome)

"Really? Why though? Isn't it the most simple game?" (Mitoma)

"Sometimes a player scores a goal and it gets cancelled." (Shinonome)

Ah... it's the offside rule... I get it now why she finds it difficult. I myself find it hard to digest.

"Anyway, what are your hobbies, Shinonome-san?" (Mitoma)

"Ah... I also like reading shoujo manga. And I also watch K-dramas." (Shinonome)

"Really? That's so cool. Ah it looks like my station has come." (Mitoma)

"Is that so? Time sure moves fast." (Shinonome)

Shinonome looked a little disappointed when she heard the announcement. I looked at her and asked,

"Your station will come after 5 minutes right?" (Mitoma)

"Yeah. It's just 5 minutes so I would be fine alone." (Shinonome)

"Umm... I think I would also stay with you till your station." (Mitoma)

"Eh? No, Mitoma-kun doesn't need to trouble himself that much." (Shinonome)

"Actually... I already bought my ticket for your station... just in case." (Mitoma)

Shinonome looked at me with a shocked face. Then she playfully hit my hand and laughed, 

"Fufu... Mitoma-kun, you're always ready for everything." (Shinonome)

So we both got down together and I decided to walk Shinonome home. Shinonome happily accepted my proposal. While walking Shinonome asked,

"Mitoma-kun, how many members are in your family?" (Shinonome)

I sighed a little and then answered, 

"I only have my mother. We live in an apartment. But she comes home only in weekends because of her work. So yeah... that's it." (Mitoma)

"Eh? That means you practically live alone?" (Shinonome)

"Yeah... but that's not really a problem. What about yours, Shinonome-san?" (Mitoma)

"I live with both my parents and my little sister." (Shinonome)

"You are really a happy family then." (Mitoma)

"Yeah and my little sister is in 2nd year of her middle school but she is actually way smarter than me." (Shinonome)

"Wow. But I think Shinonome-san is also good at study, isn't she?" (Mitoma)

Shinonome shook her head in disagreement.

"Not at all. In fact I'm really bad. I only ranked 14th in last semester in my school." (Shinonome)

Don't make it look like 14th is bad. Because my rank is 27th and it will look far worse.

"I mean it's not really bad. At least, compared to me. I only ranked 27th last semester in my school." (Mitoma)

"Oh. What's your favourite subject, Mitoma-kun?" (Shinonome)

"Maths probably. I always get full marks on it contrary to other subjects." (Mitoma)

"Wow. Maths is my worst. I never get more than 60% on it. My favourite subject is japanese literature." (Shinonome)

"Haha I actually find that the most difficult subject. How ironic." (Mitoma)

"Really? That's some weird coincidence. Oh, we arrived at my home." (Shinonome)

I looked at Shinonome's house which was typical two-storey Japanese middle class house. 

"Thank you so much for today, Mitoma-kun! I hope to meet you tomorrow." (Shinonome)

"Would you like me to come pick you up tomorrow morning?" (Mitoma)

"Ah please no. That will be too hectic for you. I'll meet you on the train itself." (Shinonome)

"Okay then." (Mitoma)

"Umm... Mitoma-kun... can I?" (Shinonome)

"What?" (Mitoma)

She blushed a little and stuttered. Then she slowly moved her phone towards me.

"Can we exchange our numbers?" (Shinonome)

That little feelings I had at that moment... was called happiness.

Shinonome Nanami:

When I entered my house, I went straight to my room. I sat on my bed and recalled everything that happened today.

"Mitoma-kun... is a very good guy." 

I was honestly so lucky to have him. He also promised to help me everyday. I wondered what I could do to repay him.

At this moment, suddenly my little sister, Konami broke into my room.

"Onee-chan!" (Konami)

"Whoa! Konami, why don't you knock before coming?" (Shinonome)

"Onee-chan, do you still fear men?" (Konami)

"Eh? Why so suddenly?" (Shinonome)

"Just tell me!" (Konami)

"I mean... I'm trying my best. So hopefully I'll overcome in future. But not now." (Shinonome)

"Then... who was that guy you returned with?" (Konami)

".......w-what?! How did you know?" (Shinonome)

"I could look from the window LOL!" (Konami)

"K-Konami! Don't tell anyone this!" (Shinonome)

"Hmm.... I'll think you about it.... hehe!" (Konami)

"Don't laugh like that!" (Shinonome)

7