Prologue
191 8 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 "In the beginning there were dragons. And from their lifeless forms came a world amidst the vast universe. Then there were monsters. The world adapted to new life. And soon there were humans. With humans came concept. Concept extended to the countless universes beyond. And then came the God Monsters..." -excerpt from "Endless Corridors"


 

He watched the chaos on the monitors. Men in full body armor moved in straight formations down the white halls recently stained with red, firing assault weapons at every guard and employee they came across. They overwhelmed sector after sector. It didn't matter if it was a security officer or a janitor that stood in their way. No one was spared.

A few cameras lost signal after a grenade exploded in a testing area. Another showed a group of workers cowering behind a row of desks as the armored men proceeded to clear the room. Steel partitions lowered in hallways on both ends to slow the assault, but the attackers were ready. They melted the steel barriers with blowtorches and used portable hacking devices when necessary. In a matter of minutes the obstacles were removed. Similar scenes of carnage and calculated maneuvers were presented on the other screens.

The man observed it all with cold indifference. 

So, this is what happens when corporations conquer the world. He lowered his gaze from the monitors and stared at the small disk in his gloved hand.

He turned to regard another man sitting at a workstation with a number of computers. His fingers tapped feverishly on the keyboard, inputting a number of commands to protect and send off his work. A webcam attached to the central monitor came to life and the man's face appeared in a window on the screen. Sweat crawled down his face, and he took a few deep breaths in an attempt to compose himself. He stopped typing and planted his hands on the desk. His mouth opened and closed, but it seemed the right words eluded him.

The mysterious, black-garbed individual stared at the conflicted man from beneath his hood. He understood his despair, frustration and self-loathing. Regardless, the knowledge of an individual's countenance, morals and ideals held little weight in this situation.

He waited for the man named Shinji Takamura, the creator of the Universal Code, to speak his piece.

Takamura finally lifted his hands, readjusted his thick glasses and stood straight with quivering eyes staring down the camera. The words tumbled from him, many wracked with sobs and some coming out clear and crisp as regret and anger took over. At one point he jolted as a heavy bang came from the sealed door behind him. Muffled gunfire rattled on the other side.

When he finished his speech, he turned off the webcam and saved the video file to a flash drive. He pulled the device free with trembling fingers.

The hooded man watched as Takamura moved to another door on the opposite side of the room. He inserted the usb stick through a thin slot in the door.

“Have faith,” the strange man said. “They will make it.”

Takamura swallowed hard. “And everyone else?”

“Many will die.”

More tears poured down the broken man's face. “I-I'm so sorry. For everything.”

The enigmatic individual didn't acknowledge the apology. He let the disc dance between his fingers as he approached a chair with an array of wires that trailed up to the ceiling. A strange helmet with a blue visor sat on the arm. He slipped the disc into a pocket hidden within his robe and sat in the chair. Before putting on the helmet, he picked up a letter written by Takamura that rested on a table. He didn't necessarily need to read it though. The sentiment was palpable.

“You gave the Universal Code to Pandora?” It was more of a statement than a question.

Takamura nodded.

“Good. It will buy the monsters some time.”

The drone of a low siren emitted from a speaker in the corner. It was time.

He lowered his hood and placed the helmet on his head. The blue visor changed the world's hue. Lines of strange numbers and commands scrawled across the screen.

A mechanical female voice spoke in his ear, “Greetings, Player. Are you prepared for departure?”

Before he could answer, Takamura rushed up next to him and snatched the letter from the table. He held up a finger to buy some time and stuck the letter in a paper shredder.

The next question didn't surprise the mystery man.

Takamura licked his dry lips and wiped his face. “Where are you from?” he asked.

The articulate female in the helmet spoke again, “Please select your destination.”

A curious question. Perhaps Takamura truly did understand the meaning behind the Universal Code. Or at least, he knew enough. Maybe one day, the concept of reality might be realized by all.

“The other real world,” the man answered. Then he said, “Destination: Pirugan.”

He vanished.


Three Days Later......

 

Sender: Shinji Takamura

Receivers: Unknown

If you are receiving this letter, it means that you are one of the few people in this world that I truly trust with my life. It also means that I am most surely dead.

What I am about to tell you is of grave importance, and I know that most, if not all, of this letter will be difficult to grasp or believe.

I am sure you are aware of my company's crowning achievement: the Universal Code. This Universal Code will be implemented in the massive PADW project -- a project that will create a virtual game world unlike any that anyone has ever experienced.

It is a code that is of our world. It is not born or created from one of our technological achievements. It is the code that comprises the world itself. This is a mistake. I believe I have created a brand new world much like ours with a similar code that allows it to function independently.

Furthermore, the denizens of this world have free will.

They feel hatred, love, happiness, and sadness just like us. They are far too real. I would even argue that they are just as real as any of us. I have conversed with many of them and inquired about their lives. I have observed them and they do not act upon the influence of programs.

The monsters from the original Puzzle and Dragons...I chose them because of the love that so many people have for them. I was so blinded by my ambitions that I did not foresee the consequences that would result from using the code.

Here is where I ask for your help, my dear friend. For the sake of our humanity and our existence, I implore you. I know everything I have written so far seems absolutely insane, but it is all true.

My enemies will stop at nothing to retrieve the Universal Code. Everything hinges on it.

There are monsters in the other world that you can trust. I have given the Universal Code to one of them. Their names and profiles are at the secret place. You know where it is.

Find Players who may be sympathetic to the cause. Soon, the beta test for the world will begin. If worse should turn to worst, they may be our only hope.

I am truly sorry. I am sorry that I surrendered to the temptations that man is so susceptible to. And I am so sorry for involving you and anyone else who is potentially in danger for my mistakes. And please extend my deepest apologies to the monsters of the other world if that ever becomes possible.

Thank you so much my friend, for everything you have done for me up until now. Godspeed.

...End of file...

 

A man sat in the darkness. The only light in the room was from the small lamp on his desk that illuminated the copy of the letter.

This was the third time he'd read it. Much of it seemed to be absolute nonsense, the ramblings of a man who had become too engrossed in a world that was not his own.

But the code being out of reach was disconcerting...for now.

After long contemplation, he pulled open the filing cabinet next to his desk and returned the letter to its folder.

He laced his fingers together on the desk and heaved a heavy sigh. "So, Takamura, you turn to the monsters for aid.”

A clever plan. This would mean that the three corporations involved with the PADW project had no choice but to go through with the beta test. They needed to invite Players who were active on the original app game. Rigging the selection system would be difficult, but Players in the virtual world were needed to ensure the Universal Code's retrieval.

“Well played, Takamura. Well played.”

3