Chapter 23
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trial, as Leonov had come to learn, would take place at the end of the week on Temple Day, which gave them a little over three days to prepare their defense of Taiki. The real problem was that they didn’t know where to begin. They knew so little about her that learning more about this dark stain on her past was nigh on impossible. They couldn't speak to her defense if they didn’t know who was coming after her or who knew about it.

“Why don’t we just ask her directly?” Falynn suggested, as usual thinking of the most direct course. “She can tell us what we need to know if she wants help getting out of that cell.”

“I don’t think she’ll tell us, even with the threat of a long sentence,” Roni replied. Leonov nodded to the truth of that. “She’s dealt with this on her own, so she doesn’t have a reason to change that.”

“Yes she does,” Falynn said stubbornly, glaring at Roni. “She has us now.”

“We’ve only known each other for a month, Falynn,” Leonov commented, keeping his voice in that slow, calming rhythm he favored. As usual, he had a way of stating simple facts in a way that seemed obvious, which was only frustrating for those hearing said facts. “We’re still practically strangers.”

“I’m sorry,” Falynn said, turning toward him with her full body and not sounding sorry at all, “Isn’t it a common soldier’s saying that the bonds of shared battle bond two people closer together than even their family ties?”

For a moment, Leonov seemed lost. He’d never heard anything of the sort as a soldier. Then it clicked in his head, and he frowned. “Do you mean ‘the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb?’”

“Yes, that,” Falynn said. “By that logic, we should be close after all we’ve gone through together, right?”

The base of her argument was good, and there was no denying it. Still, Leonov offered one point of correction. “That also really only applies to brothers and sisters of war that have fought together for a long period of time. Again, we’ve only known each other for just under a month.”

“I think I can convince her,” Falynn said, folding her arms tightly. Over the past month, they’d learned enough about the druid girl to know that in this state, she wouldn’t accept any answer except the one she wanted, and would stubbornly hold her ground, convinced of her ideals.

Leonov shook his head slowly, letting out a long breath. In spite of her naivety, he couldn’t help but admire her conviction. Such a strong will for such a small body, he thought. She lacked the strength, stamina, and mind of an experienced fighter, but she was a powerful mage and had the requisite force of mind that typically came from such studies.

“Fine,” he agreed. “I still don’t think she’ll tell us, but we can go and visit her.”

However, when they reached the Guard Barracks and gained a chance to speak to the Captain of the Guard, they found that they couldn’t visit her at all. Enri Ciayol, the gifted descendant of the god Bora Bora, was widely regarded as a kind and fair man, but in this case, he had to stand by the strict letter of the law.

“I offer you my sympathy,” he said gravely, his hands folded on the desk before him. “But the law in this matter is quite clear. As she is being held under suspicion of murder, she is only allowed contact with a priest of the god of her choice, and a member of the Council of Law.”

They were all a little taken aback by that, especially Falynn, who had been all but certain that it would work. She was the one who replied, her face pale. “Why can’t we visit her? What purpose is there to isolating her?”

“The purpose of preventing her from speaking to potential collaborators,” Enri replied. He turned his head to look at Leonov. “I’m sure you can understand the reasoning. If a prisoner is able to maintain contact with the outside world, then they can enact plans to further disrupt the peace.”

“I understand the law,” Leonov said. “But I proved the innocence of all three of us in a fair and honest trial of combat.”

“So I heard,” Enri said with a smile, tilting his head in a gesture of respect. “Your stalwart determination is admirable, Sergeant Barric.”

“I’m no longer a sergeant,” Leonov replied at once, his face darkening for the briefest of moments. “That part of my life is behind me.”

“I understand,” The Captain of the Guard replied. “Mister Barric, then. But the fact remains that, in the time since your trial, you could have gained new information, made new contacts, or have some less tangible way of supporting your friend that could interfere with her imprisonment.”

Falynn was on the verge of tears again, but more out of frustrated helplessness than actual grief. She was still fiercely determined to help Taiki, she just couldn’t see how. Noticing this, Leonov tried another angle. “Let me ask you, Master Ciayol. Have you spoken with Taiki and heard her side of events?”

“I have not. My duties as Captain of the Royal Guard and now also the City Guard prevent me from being able to speak to the prisoners.”

“But there is something you can share with us,” Leonov guessed, holding steady eye contact. There was always a sort of silent understanding between experienced soldiers. You developed a sharp sense for motives and intent as a soldier, and his told him that the Captain was holding something back. “Isn’t there?”

Enri Ciayol took his time before replying, holding eye contact with the former Attosian soldier. Then, after nearly a minute of silent contemplation, he let out a slow breath. “I am not supposed to share any information with you, strictly speaking. This is the rule. But there is one thing I can tell you that will not be a violation.”

They waited expectantly, and he finally became direct. “Taiki is a registered apprentice within Issho-Ni, though she does not actively train there. This is because she is the student of Master Aramata Sato, an honorable and distinguished former member of the group. When Taiki first arrived in this city, Master Ehran Tokugawa told me about her circumstances, and asked me to look after her.”

Falynn and Roni couldn’t see what about that information was useful, but Leonov did. He gave a deep bow of respect. “Thank you, Master Ciayol. We will be on our way, then.”

The Captin nodded. “Good luck, Mister Barric. I hope you are able to find the necessary terms to engineer Apprentice Sato’s release. Good day.”

Leonov turned on his heel and walked toward the door. Not until they were out of the office did Falynn ask the obvious. “What was that about? Did he actually tell you anything useful?”

“He did,” Leonov said with a nod, but he didn’t turn back, and continued to lead the way out of the building. “He mentioned Master Ehran Tokugawa.”

“So?” Roni asked, “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well, as you know, Ehran Tokugawa is currently the second-highest-ranked member of Issho-Ni.”

“And?”

“That means that he shouldn’t be involved with simple apprentices,” Leonov said. Once they were out of the building, he made a sharp right,  back toward the edge of the city. “He’s a Grandmaster. With the exception of his own apprentice, he is no longer a teacher.”

Now Falynn understood, even if Roni was still behind. “That means that Issho-Ni knows about her mission!”

“Correct,” the warrior said. “And since Taiki isn’t likely to tell us, then they can.”

“But isn’t that rude?” The druid girl asked. “If Taiki wants it kept a secret, shouldn’t it stay that way?”

Now Leonov did stop and turn to her. “Falynn, the only way we can help her is if we know what the issue is. Without the knowledge, we can’t have a plan.”

“We could break her out,” Roni offered with a shrug, “I’m quiet as a shadow. It wouldn’t be hard to get in and out without anyone noticing.”

“Doubtful,” Leonov countered. Then, as she looked angry, he added quickly, “It’s not that I doubt your skill, Roni. I just know how the Tyrman crown works. There are all sorts of spells and enchantments in that building. The only way to get in if you’re not allowed is by force. To do that, we’d have to kill people, and then we’d truly be without a hope.”

“So then,” Falynn interjected, more to stop Roni from getting a temper than for any other reason, “If we can talk to Grandmaster Tokugawa, then we can learn about Taiki’s enemy?”

“That’s my thought,” Leonov said. “I’m hoping that he can help us prepare, at least. If not, then tell us what we need to know, and we can work from there.”

“We only have two days,” Falynn said. “Do you think that’s enough time?”

“Wars can be won in a matter of days. I see no reason why this trial cannot be the same.”

 

-

 

Leonov led them to the gates of the Issho-Ni training grounds, located near the southern gate of the city. It was a bustling, noisy place, full of people training. It seemed that every type of weapon and martial style was on display here, as nearly a hundred people were clustered in groups around or near figures in white robes, who led classes or demonstrated complex skills. To inexperienced fighters like Falynn or Roni, it was an amazing spec tackle. IT even amazed Leonov, but he was more used to the exotic styles that the art of war could spawn, and as such, was able to stay focused on the task at hand.

“Excuse me,” he said, approaching one of the few unoccupied Masters. “Do you think it is possible that we might speak to Grandmaster Tokugawa?”

“Not likely,” the white-robed figure said briskly, not even looking up from the book he was perusing. “Grandmaster Tokugawa is a very busy man, and he is absorbed by overseeing the repairs to the city.”

“So he’s not here?”

“I did not say that,” the Master replied, and now he seemed mildly annoyed at this interruption. “He is just busy. But if he’s willing to receive you, you can find him in his office at the back of the main building. Go inside and see for yourself”

As it turned out, Grandmaster Tokugawa was not busy, which Leonov privately thought was a boon of good fortune, not just for learning what he needed to learn, but for the events of the trial altogether. He knocked quietly but firmly on the dark wooden door, and a voice echoed from within. “Come.”

Leonov pushed the door open, and, when the three of them were revealed, Ehran Tokugawa didn’t look the least bit surprised. “Ah. I take it you are the friends of young Apprentice Sato?”

“Yes, Grandmaster,” Leonov replied, offering the standard respectful bow of greeting, which Erhan returned with more grace. “We were hoping we might borrow a few minutes of your time. I understand that you are busy, but this is quite important.”

“I am aware,” Tokugawa said gravely. His expression was nearly identical to the one that Enri Ciayol had worn during his meeting with them. “I assume you wish to know what it is about her that spawned the day’s events?”

“Yes, please. If we know what we’re dealing with, then we can help her. Without the information, she’ll be convicted and sentenced.”

“You do not have to worry about that,” Grandmaster Tokugawa said firmly, raising a hand to interrupt Leonov. “I have already spoken with the Council of Law and explained the situation, at the behest of her mentor and my old friend.”

“So she’s already going to be released?”

“Yes,” Tokugawa said, smiling at the looks of delighted incredulity on their faces. “At the trial, there will be no doubt of her guilt, and she will be released. But I still wish for you to know about her past and her greatest enemy. It is my hope that you will be able to help her bring in the nefarious murderer that destroyed half of her home country.”

1