Chapter 24
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Roughly an hour after they’d entered the Issho-Ni training grounds, Leonov, Falynn, and Roni departed, the information that Grandmaster Tokugawa had shared with them still fresh in their minds. Even Roni, normally so stoic and unbothered, looked pale. She’d thought that she’d seen the worst of a person’s nature, but what Taiki had witnessed, and at such a young age, forced her to admit that, by comparison, her life was easier. She couldn’t even remember her parents that were slain by a wild animal, as it had happened so long ago.

“How did she stay sane?” The ranger asked of nobody in particular. The thought had to be spoken, or it would have consumed her. “People have snapped for less.”

“It has to be the rage and spite,” Leonov reasoned. “That’s why she snapped so badly when she realized who the old man really was.”

Falynn said nothing. After the emotional day she’d had, she didn’t bother to try and lock her emotions back. Tears streamed down her face uninterrupted as she cried for her friend’s suffering, shedding the tears that such trauma required. What Ehran Tokugawa had shared with them had not been easy to hear. It was a bloody tale of an evil mage’s exploits and destruction in Nihon-Ja that left thousands dead. Taiki was the only survivor that anyone had ever seen of one of these massacres.

“She’s in a unique circumstance,” The Grandmaster had said. “She is the only one who knows his face. We only know that he exists, but we’ve never gotten the chance to know his identity. He is very thorough in ensuring that there are no witnesses to the things he does.”

So, they had thought, there was a great evil, faceless enemy that was responsible for thousands of deaths. Issho-Ni, the greatest fighting organization in the world, had so far been unsuccessful in finding the tiniest scrap of information that could lead to identifying and capturing him. Falynn gathered herself enough to speak, wiping away her tears. “I can’t believe that they’d put all that responsibility on her when they have much stronger people.”

“I don’t think they’re putting it on her to make her do all the work,” Leonov said slowly. But he agreed with what she said. It was near-paralyzing to think of taking on an opponent like that with the four of them. And Taiki wanted to take revenge for her family and village on her own? It was impossible. “But he’s made it clear that they’re going to give her every last bit of help they can.”

And it was true. Grandmaster Tokugawa had laid out their plans for supporting Taiki when she was released. “We had planned on approaching her with this after you all completed your training course, but this surprise changes that. We’ve pulled the finest of our teachers to give her help, and the Issho-Ni smiths have been working hard to create new gear for her, all to ensure that she has the best fighting chance possible.”

“Now we know exactly what she’ll have to deal with,” Leonov said. “We just have to convince her. I hope that this letter works.”

On top of his plea for their aid, Ehran had given them a sealed scroll of parchment. “Give that to her when she’s released. It will convince her to accept your help. Well, it has the best chance of persuading her, I should say.”

Leonov had taken the scroll and tucked it into his belt pouch, not bothering to ask about its contents. That was Taiki’s concern, and he had no interest in her other secrets. “We’ll do what we can to aid her, Grandmaster Tokugawa.”

“Thank you,” the man had replied. “But I also recognize that this is a great risk for the four of you, and we do not plan on sending you on that path empty-handed either. Come see us when the trial is over and you are ready to take this next step.”

So now they were left without much of an idea as to what to do with the rest of their day, and in fact the week. With Taiki’s release all but guaranteed, they had lost the sense of urgency for the trial. They still wished to see her and share the good news, but even Grandmaster Tokugawa had shaken his head at that request. He did have the power to allow them access, but it would set a precedent that he wasn’t comfortable with.

“So what do we do with the rest of the two and a half days we have left?” Falynn asked. “I can’t think of anything. It almost feels wrong that we get to be free and do what we like while she’s locked away.”

“I’ll tell you what we do,” Leonov said, turning to them. They were interested, though not surprised, to see the light of determination in his eyes. “We spend the days training as hard as we can.”

“We can’t learn much in two days,” Roni said bluntly. “Skills take years, even decades to truly master.”

“Skills, yes,” the warrior agreed. “But there are things that can be changed in a matter of days. There is a method for this kind of training in the Attosian army, and I’m certain that one or more of the Masters of Issho-Ni could provide that sort of scenario for us.”

He looked between each of them, waiting for a reaction. Roni was interested, he could tell, but Falynn was hesitant. “Will this make us stronger?”

“Not in our bodies,” he told her. “It will condition your mind to think more quickly and creatively in battle. That will let us be more suitable allies.”

“Okay,” she said, nodding as she thought it through. “Let’s do it. What do we need?”

“Just what we have,” he replied, but he was already turning back toward the main building. Leading them inside, he approached the nearest Master he could find and got his attention. “Can any of you provide us with a crucible?”

The man he’d addressed seemed not to know what he meant, so he moved on to another, and another. Finally, the fourth figure frowned as the question was asked of him, and he gave the three of them a quick, cursory glance. “Just the three of you? Don’t crucibles usually consist of entire platoons of men?”

“That's fine,” Leonov said quickly. “We just want the most difficult scenario you can create. Can you help us?”

“I’m nowhere near ready to do a crucible,” the Master told him. “I’d need more time to prepare, at least a week, and I’m sensing that this is an urgent affair.”

“It is,” Leonov assured him. “Do you know of a Master that could assist us, then?”

“We have a visiting Master from the Sanctuary,” he said, twisting to search the room. “There. Master Kanora. She’s a Tokugawa and a strong one at that. She could help you. Just make sure to visit the clerk to pay for your training.”

“Understood. Thank you.”

They made their long, slow trip around the outer edge of the room, as there was a sizable crowd gathered around the sparring circle in the center. Two figures fought against a third in unarmed combat. Leonov paid the combat no mind and lightly spoke to the figure to which they’d been directed, getting her attention. “Master Kanora, I’m sorry to disturb you, but could I have a moment of your time?”

The woman, a tall and dark-skinned Nihon-Jan with well-defined muscles and a strong, stoic expression, turned to look at him. She took in his expectant expression and seemed to glean their desperation from the air. Raising an eyebrow, she took a step away from the action, crossing her arms, to listen. Leonov described what he needed, and she nodded her understanding. “Yes. I remember the idea. I’ve taken part in quite a few crucibles myself. My master was very creative in the groups of enemies he had me face, each to focus on a particular weakness.”

“We don’t need anything specific such as that,” Leonov said hurriedly. “We just need someone strong to fight, so that we can get some practice going against a much stronger opponent. What kind of weapon do you use?”

“I fight with my hands alone,” Master Kanora said. “I am familiar in the use of a few weapons, but far from true mastery. My training was more focused on mastering my own body, mind, and soul.”

“I… see,” he replied, though it couldn’t have been plainer that he didn’t understand. “But you can help us? We’d prefer to use our own weapons, but we can use wooden equivalents if you prefer.”

She gave a quick wave of dismissal with one hand. “That is of no import. You should fight how you prefer. You need not worry about harming me.”

She said it in a simple way, without bragging. Her face was as expressionless as ever. It was simply a fact, and they could recognize it. She was so much stronger that they really had no hope of landing a blow on her, and there was no way to state it nicely, so she did it bluntly.

“Very well,” he said. “How much will you charge us? We have two days starting tomorrow, and would like the most out of it.”

“I do not enjoy coin,” Master Kanora replied. “It motivates people to act without honest conviction. Pay the clerk what you wish, and I will be satisfied.”

Leonov, who’d lifted his coin purse to hand her money, looked up, confused. “You don’t want money? How can you live without the ability to trade coin for services?”

“I offer a service in return,” she said simply. “I live true to the monk’s way, with no interest in metals of any kind. I own no possessions save the clothes I wear.”

“Err, okay then,” he said and tucked the purse away once more. “Then how would you like to proceed?”

She thought about it for a moment, then said, “I will continue to watch this match, as well as the four others that are scheduled for the evening. Then I will eat my dinner, and bathe. When I am done, I will come after you. Try to avoid being captured by me for as long as you can.”

Her statement came as a shock to them. “You don’t need time to prepare a scenario? Where will we do this?”

“Let’s say that the continent of Tyrman is the limit,” she replied. “If you leave the country, you lose. We will begin now, but I shall give you a head start. Go along, now, and do your best to avoid me.”

Then, without another word, she stepped away and turned her attention back to the fight. Leonov was still for a few minutes, staring blankly at her as he tried to comprehend what had just happened, then turned to Falynn and Roni, his confusion obvious. Falynn shared his bewilderment, but Roni was grinning at the thought of it. “It’s like a hunt.”

“A hunt?” Falynn asked, turning to face her.

“Yes. I don’t like the idea that we’re playing the prey, but it fits. If we leave now, we can make it to the forest in two hours. You and I are suited to forest travel and combat, and Leonov can fight anywhere.”

She phrased the last thought as statement but looked to him for confirmation, and he nodded. They fell into an awkward silence for a moment, then he broke it. “Should we move on, then?”

“I think so,” Falynn said, feeling her pulse quicken as the task began to properly set in for her. Kanora’s quiet confidence had told her that she was utterly confident in her ability to catch up, even without knowing their skills. But the harder it was, the better for them, she realized, so she was ready for the challenge. “Yes, let’s go. The sooner we can hide away, the better.

 

1